Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Which book are you reading right now?

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting thread!

I've just finished a novel by Nick Hornby, "How to be good", which was fun, but I was disappointed with the writing itself.

Just before, I had read Ian McEwan's "Solar", and that, on the contrary, was Writing!
    It's about a Nobel Prize in Physics, his life throughout the 2000s as he tries to fulfill a project of solar panels, between a series
    of conferences, an expedition in the North Pole...
    He might be a short, fat aging man, but his love life is still animated. The problem is, his 5th wife wants to divorce, and her lover
    is a young colleague of his.
    I was completely absorbed in the plot of Michael Beard's chaotic life, loved that book! It's greatly built, and scattered with fine passages
    full of humor. The only point I didn't like was the pretty long technical developments here and there.
    I was divided between hate and sympathy for him.

I've ordered "An Atonement" by McEwan, but there's some shipping trouble, I'm not even sure to get it before going on vacation, so I've started
    "The World according to Garp" by Irving.

This thread should become a classic.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I read solar I'm holiday which was good and very interesting but I read it then read life by Keith Richards which is an absolute Stella read so solar kinda got forgotten about a bit lol
    fuck your fucking framing

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Crazy From The Heat take #64

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by guwapo_rocker View Post
    If you are going to buy Fifty Shades for your wife, remember to budget for the handcuffs

and blindfold she will eventually TELL you to purchase.
    It's difficult enough to get her to do the housework without that...

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm currently reading " Greg Allman - My Cross To Bear " . A very interesting and entertaining read .

I just read the chapter titled " October 29 . 1971 " which is the day his brother and legendary

guitarist Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident in Macon , Georgia . I'll have the entire book

read by this weekend for sure . Cool stuff .

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reading the greatest book about 'the greatest rock'n'roll band' ....

Stanley Booth, The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones. I heartily recommend it to anyone who loves rock'n'roll and how it is so much more than the music:

A good accompaniment to that is a novel about the Stones, titled Sway by Zachary Lazar:

THINK LIKE THE WAVES

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Erik Davis's book about Led Zeppelin's 4th album - another great book:

See - http://www.techgnosis.com/zep/index.html

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Does he mention the pedophilia?

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    With the Zep book? No - not directly, as I recall. It's more about the occult side of things.

That whole 70s underage groupie scene has been covered in some other books about Hollywood in the 70s. Barney Hoskyns book, Waiting for the Sun: The Story of the LA Music Scene (that book was published with different subtitles in various versions). The hub of the groupie scene was Rodney Bingenheimer's 'English Disco' (as his club was called). It's been said that those same girls that Page and Bonham (if memory serves correctly) were surrounding themselves with, were involved with all sorts of others. Mainly visiting English bands - Bowie, Marc Bolan.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Does he mention the pedophilia?
    I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits - was this stuff any different from the 'roasting' performed by some premiership footballers?

There is a distinction between underage sex and 'paedophilia', however (at least as I understand it). A paedophile has sex with pre-pubescent minors. Not saying one is more/less immoral than the other, merely noting the differnece.
    It's called hebephilia. Man we're exploring all sexual perversions in this thread
    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I guess so and it's not something I really want to dwell on.

I find the Page thing very uncomfortable though as it was he was no spring chicken at the time(30?), it was ongoing and they obviously knew it was wrong or they wouldn't have been smuggling her secretly into hotels. It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's odd to me in a way the difference in attitudes based on not a lot of difference between him and say Gary Glitter.
    In Page's defense, at least he didn't go on a world-wide tour of several countries in order to pursue his perversions, only to be arrested and deported from each one. On a related note, I would love to get a copy of this: The Execution of Gary Glitter - WIKI

That said I notice that Page seems to have been left out of the 2012 Olympic Ceremonies...
    That's more than likely due to the ghastly performance from the China closing ceremony than any character issues. It is somewhat disturbing that guys like Page and Bill Wyman seem to have achieved this odd "elder statesman" kind of status these days.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 07-05-2012 at 07:08 PM.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the numbers of bands in your record collection involved in underage sex/ sexual exploitation would be staggering. Most of the bands involved in groupie culture would probably be culprits
    Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.
    Same ole song and dance...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that.
    More than likely she was flashing Jake E. Lee. I recall one of my guitar player's younger sisters (she was around 13 or so) had a massive, shall we say obsessive crush on the guy.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    Chicks flashed Ozzy? I don't know why but I wouldn't have figured on that. The most flashing I ever saw that I can remember was at Motley shows.
    I agree, Motley is the best. Two factors: (A) it was the 80's and (B) we were standing in front of Jake E Lee, who is a pretty darn cool looking cat.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Bible again

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    Not defending this type of behavior but it can happen pretty easily if you aren't on your Ps & Qs. I remember being at an Ozzy show in the mid 80's and I was approached by a cute girl who wanted to get on my shoulders. I obliged and before you know it she's topless, ample breasts bouncing off the top of my head, running her hands through my hair and grinding her damp panties on the back of my neck. I was thoroughly enjoying this part of the program, happily thinking about how I was about to score UNTIL SHE TOLD ME SHE WAS THIRTEEN YEARS OLD. At which time I removed her from my shoulders and bade her farewell. I shudder to think about the awful situation I could have gotten into had she lied or not volunteered that bit of information.
    Yikes.

My point is though you didn't then fuck her for 6 months and get your manager to cover for you.

And with all due respect I'm guessing you weren't at the time the most famous rock guitarist on the planet with unlimited choices.

In fact aren't you kind of making my point better than I did?

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Speaking of groupies, that's something VH was really careful about when their crew was out "gathering" for their bonuses.

One of them offered a girl (early 20's) next to me a backstage pass, and she totally refused it.

Of course, I offered to take it and the guy looked at me and said "sorry sweetheart, the boys don't want no jailbait". I tried arguing that I wasn't jailbait as the age of consent in Canada at that time was 16. He looked me up and down and said "sorry doll, come back in a few years."
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    Speaking of groupies, that's something VH was really careful about when their crew was out "gathering" for their bonuses.

One of them offered a girl (early 20's) next to me a backstage pass, and she totally refused it.

Of course, I offered to take it and the guy looked at me and said "sorry sweetheart, the boys don't want no jailbait". I tried arguing that I wasn't jailbait as the age of consent in Canada at that time was 16. He looked me up and down and said "sorry doll, come back in a few years."
    Man... I'd kick him on the shins, grab the pass and RUN like a Kenyan.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

"sorry doll, come back in a few years."

Sounds like a polite way of telling you you're not good enough.

If you think that Van Halen never indulged in underage sex you are totally deluding yourself.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post

If you think that Van Halen never indulged in underage sex you are totally deluding yourself.
    I'd tend to agree. If not 'underage' then certainly fucking horrific.

You know, your opinions change as you get older and you realise that those 'Gods' we all idealise as kids were probably fucking awful people by virtue of the circumstances which they found themselves in (being idolised etc). The more biographies/autobiographies I read of rockers the more I tend to be very queasy about it all - how much of this stuff was abusive? Was it right that some 18 year old girl had to blow 14 guys just so she could meet the singer? And at what point does consent become blurry? Maybe I'm just become an old fart.....

Some of these bands trade on their reputations (hello Motley Crue). But others seem a little bashful about it. From what I've heard/read Def Leppard were the most outrageous of any of those bands. But you rarely hear them talk about their 'excesses' - perhaps in their 50s they're a little embarrassed by it all. I certainly hope so.....

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Maybe but to me there is a big difference between a drunk guy at 21 having a one night stand with a 15 year old and a 30 year old having a long term girlfriend who is 14.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think we've just discovered that Sesh is Kristy.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sounds like a polite way of telling you you're not good enough.

Honey, I was 36-24-36, with a 12 year old face...and I got any and every man I wanted.

I'm saying careful with the ones the roadies were pulling out of the crowd. Those that got backstage by their own means is a completely different story.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Honey, I was 36-24-36, with a 12 year old face...and I got any and every man I wanted.
    What happened to your first face ??

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am reading "A Flame of Pure Fire: Jack Dempsey and the Roaring '20s"
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally unseen VH pics?! I'll be taking a look at this - if only for the pics. I think I've seen some of her photos, and always wondered where / when they were from.

See more at: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1466929294/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I believe that is the only pic of Mammoth I have ever seen.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by envy_me View Post
    I love true crime.
    If you love true crime I would recommend "The Onion Field" and "The Blooding", both by Joseph Wambaugh. I am currently reading his new book, "Harbor Nocturne", the fourth in what has been a highly entertaining fictional series about a group of police officers working in Hollywood.

Last book: Vietnam Above the Treetops, A Forward Air Controller's Story.

Next book: Luftwaffe Fighter Ace

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reading it on Kindle - it is a very sparse memoir of the time she knew the guys in the band. She worked for Roth's father at some point, and followed Mammoth and Van Halen around and took pictures, a lot of which are lost (or were given to an early manager).

There's 3 pics of Dave with an acoustic guitar when, in her words, 'he was playing clubs as a solo artist'. She is not very good on remembering dates, but it seems this was probably 1972. One photo from around this time has been in circulation on the internet for years, but these three I have never seen. Interesting to see how Dave is dressed - flared kind of check / tartan strides with turn-ups and platform shoes.

4 pics of Alex, rehearsing at a practice room with Mammoth. These, she says, were taken a year before the performance shot on the cover, which was 1973 - that means 1972.

3 Ed pics from 72-73. Performing at some outdoors highschool venue (1973), and in the rehearsal room (1972). Like the Dave and Alex ones, I have seen one shot before which is not in the book, but has been circulating for years on the internet.

2 pics of Mark Stone at rehearsal (he's on the cover as well), 1972. He has one of those plexi-glass basses.

4 pics of Van Halen on stage - Dave, Ed and Al. She says 'it could be as late as 1975 or 1976', but earlier she says that she never took any photos with Mike Anthony in the band, so it is probably more like '74, before Mike joined. These are interesting for the period detail. Dave has a very glam hairdo that to me says '1973' or '1974'. I remember as a kid when people wore their hair like that. If he wasn't wearing denims, he could fit right into The Sweet, or something.

I'd recommend it - it costs very little on the Kindle.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm reading the maintenance manual for my Craftsman LT1000 riding mower... good read!! Need to replace the drive belt...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm reading bullshit on the internet...

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just finished reading "The Book of Negroes". Fantastic book!!!

I usually don't have time for reading for pleasure. These days it's usually text books, academic journals and scripts.

This was a nice escape, I recommend it highly!

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOL guys aren't that picky it seems, honey. Post a pic then. Lies, lies!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I just ordered a bunch of books by Dalai Lama, my co-worker recommended it, so I might pause The name of the rose, to read at least one of his books. Maybe The art of happiness.
    Last edited by envy_me; 07-07-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Thread Information