Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Bain Capital, GST Steel, and the Obama Campaign Ad (Obama Lie Alert!!!)

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation Bain Capital, GST Steel, and the Obama Campaign Ad (Obama Lie Alert!!!)

This week the Obama campaign debuted its attack on Bain Capital, the private-equity firm Mitt Romney founded. Its two-minute ad purports to tell the story of GS Technologies, a Kansas City-based Bain investment that went bankrupt in 2001.

To hear the Obama campaign, this is a tale of greed: GST was a healthy, happy, quality steelmaker until Bain plundered its worth and stripped its 750 workers of their due. "It was like a vampire," laments one former employee in the ad. "They came in and sucked the life out of us."

GST is a tragic tale, though in a different way. The real story of GST is that of a private-equity firm trying to spark some life into a uncompetitive, over-unionized industry. Bain's crime here—if that's what you call it—was giving a dying steel plant an unexpected eight-year lease on life.

When Bain bought the Kansas City mill in 1993, steel was a scene of carnage. Global players were pouring out cheap products, and America's high-cost steel plants couldn't compete. The industry had lost 200,000 jobs in preceding years. In 1992 alone, the six largest U.S. steel mills had lost a combined $3 billion. Armco, the company Bain would buy the plant from, would lose $641 million in 1993.

The Kansas City plant was itself dying. At its 1970 height it employed 4,500; by the late 1980s it was down to 1,000. A year before acquisition, Armco had laid off another 75. Its equipment was old; it faced fierce competition at home and abroad.

B.C. Huselton, a vice president of the business at the time, tells me that in 1990 the Armco CEO held a meeting. "He told us, 'Look, we either try to sell it, or we've got to shut it down.'" Armco had shut down another Kansas City facility, Union Wire Rope, only a few years before.

The Kansas City plant had two product lines—high-carbon rods and grinding media (used in mining)—that it felt could give it a competitive edge. But it needed investment, and Armco was tapped out. Bain nonetheless saw some potential and in 1993 joined other investors to acquire it for $80 million. Management renamed it GS Technologies (which would become part of a larger GS Industries) and poured an additional $100 million into modernization.

The strategy worked for a time. The market firmed up and GSI became a U.S. leader in steel rods. In 1994 it felt confident enough to distribute a dividend to investors. In both 1996 and 1997, GSI would realize $1 billion in revenue.

And then came the tsunami. The late 1990s saw a new outpouring of cheap steel from elsewhere around the globe. The Asian financial crisis walloped the mining industry, cutting demand for GST products. The price of GST's electricity and natural gas skyrocketed. The union dug in, refusing to make concessions. By April 1997, it was on strike, shooting bottle rockets at guards. Labor costs spiked, and by 1999 GSI was reporting $53 million in net losses.

In 2001 it would become one of 31 steel companies that went bankrupt from 1993 to 2003. (Mr. Romney left Bain in 1999.) The steel crash was the economic drama du jour, with Congress railing about "dumping."

At the time, GST's union blamed the company's bankruptcy on the political class, for failing to hamstring imports. "We can't compete against the steel imports that are being sold under cost," said the president of GST's union in 2001. "Our pleas fell on deaf ears in the political arena." The Bush administration would ultimately slap on giant tariffs.

The bankruptcies were led by unionized companies that, like airlines and textiles and Detroit, had negotiated pay and benefits that helped drive their employers under. GST's pension benefits would get passed on to the federal Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp., which in 2002 received $7.5 billion in claims from the steel industry alone. The PBGC covered GST's basic pension payouts.

The Obama ad doesn't note that the broader company, GS Industries, employed 3,500 and that the Kansas City plant (with 750 workers) was the only one shuttered. Other plants were bought and operate today. Nor does it mention Bain's other steel investment in the early 1990s, in an Indiana start-up called Steel Dynamics. The firm touts innovative technology and a nonunion workforce. It today reports $6.3 billion in revenue—25 times what it claimed in its 1996 IPO—and employs 6,000.

A private-equity firm looking to quickly strip value from a company—to "suck" the life out of it—does not do so by investing $100 million in modernization and holding on for eight years, through bankruptcy. Bain has surely made its share of mistakes, and one may well have been trying to resuscitate a traditional steel firm in the grip of industry upheaval. The irony, says Mr. Huselton, is that this plant "wouldn't even be in today's news, if it hadn't been the opportunity that came with Bain. Those jobs would have been gone in 1993."

That's a more revealing story—of the pressures of a global market, the dangers of an inflexible workforce, and the opportunities that come with private equity and risk-taking. It's just not one Team Obama wants to tell.

Write to kim@wsj.com LINK

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post

How about those college records and the Fast and Furious documents and even possibly a real birth certificate Obama wants to stay hidden. If you knew anything about big business, you would know that as CEO of a company, your name stays on many of the documents for yrs. after you have given up the position. Once again, this is typical of this administration, to attack and make up something out of nothing, to turn the main focus away from Obama's failing policies and horrible job he has done with the economy and all other affairs that a President should be accountable for. Everyday Obama and the far left liberals hang a picture of someone else on their mirror in the morning so they can put the blame on others but themselves.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSICMANN View Post
    How about those college records and the Fast and Furious documents and even possibly a real birth certificate Obama wants to stay hidden.
    What year is it on your calendar? That "birth certificate" foolishness was settled 2 years ago.
    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Quote Originally Posted by Sockfucker View Post
    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You're correct. Ubama submitted his copy certificate of live birth.
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.UABm15H8dWk

Mitt Romney's campaign said today a Boston Globe article reporting that he remained CEO of Bain Capital longer than he has stated is "inaccurate."

"As Bain Capital has said, as Governor Romney has said, and as has been confirmed by independent fact checkers multiple times, Governor Romney left Bain Capital in February of 1999 to run the Olympics and had no input on investments or management of companies after that point," said Andrea Saul, a Romney spokeswoman.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember the old Sesame Street game, "One of These Things Is Not Like The Other"??

I'll bet Guy Smiley does.........

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just heard an ironic fact on HellRadio.....

The first Presidential Candidate to volunteer his tax records?

George Romney. (1968)

And every Presidential Candidate of either party has done so since. Until now.

One has to think that somewhere back on Kolob, George is really fucking embarrassed by his son right about now.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Go get'em Satan!

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Satan View Post
    Remember the old Sesame Street game, "One of These Things Is Not Like The Other"??
    I DO remember it, and it was playing Hell with my brain while I was looking at the background, typeface, spacing and signatures on Obama's "birth certificate".

What's done is done but it begs the question, why doesn't an individual have to prove citizenship up front, seeing as how it is a Constitutional requirement? I've had to produce my birth certificate a number of times over the years to enroll in schools, to obtain ID and to get married (something the government shouldn't be involved in to begin with). None of these are as important as (A) being the president and (B) electing the president, so why is it too fucking much to ask for proper identification and documentation?
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Go get'em Satan!
    Oh, I already got him. Because regardless of his professed faith in Elohim, there's ZERO chance that Willard Mittens Romney will ever be the God of his own planet or a resident of any of the Three Heavens spoken of in LDS doctrine.

As a living embodiment of greed itself, it's obvious where his Final Destination will be. Maybe I'll even create a corporation for him to run down here just to keep him busy for Eternity.

How does "Pain Capital" sound??

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I DO remember it, and it was playing Hell with my brain while I was looking at the background, typeface, spacing and signatures on Obama's "birth certificate".

What's done is done but it begs the question, why doesn't an individual have to prove citizenship up front, seeing as how it is a Constitutional requirement? I've had to produce my birth certificate a number of times over the years to enroll in schools, to obtain ID and to get married (something the government shouldn't be involved in to begin with). None of these are as important as (A) being the president and (B) electing the president, so why is it too fucking much to ask for proper identification and documentation?
    Be careful what you wish for. Because the only Presidential candidates in the last century born outside of the US were Republicans John McCain (Panama) and, ironically enough, George Romney (Mexico). Also ironic is the fact that the issue was never raised when Romney Sr. ran for the office. Neither was his religion.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Be careful what you wish for. Because the only Presidential candidates in the last century born outside of the US were Republicans John McCain (Panama) and, ironically enough, George Romney (Mexico). Also ironic is the fact that the issue was never raised when Romney Sr. ran for the office. Neither was his religion.
    I don't recall going on record as wishing for John fucking McCain. With him in office the economy would still be fucked, the president would still be signing our freedom away on a daily basis and on top of it all we'd be at war with Iran right now.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Satan couldn't net a beer fart at a wrestling match.

Satan by his very nature is fucking first class liar. Satan killed J F Kennedy. Satan killed every Kennedy.
    Satan killed MLK. Satan killed Trevon Martin.

That's the reason the Globe pulled a CBS on this one. Duped. Nothing new.

When the blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank

So when are you going to dig for Barry's college money source? Barry was born a poor sharecropper just selling drugs to get by. Remember?
    Go get 'em.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't recall going on record as wishing for John fucking McCain. With him in office the economy would still be fucked, the president would still be signing our freedom away on a daily basis and on top of it all we'd be at war with Iran right now.
    Worse yet, he probably would have dropped dead by now from a heart attack (or a 5th occurance of cancer) and y'all would have been stuck with a lunatic imbecile from Alaska.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    Satan couldn't net a beer fart at a wrestling match.

Satan by his very nature is fucking first class liar. Satan killed J F Kennedy. Satan killed every Kennedy.
    Satan killed MLK. Satan killed Trevon Martin.

That's the reason the Globe pulled a CBS on this one. Duped. Nothing new.

When the blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank

So when are you going to dig for Barry's college money source? Barry was born a poor sharecropper just selling drugs to get by. Remember?
    Go get 'em.
    Thanks for your complete misinterpretation of one of Mick & Keith's best songs, but I'm not Poppy Bush.

And sorry, I'm not buying the new "even dumber than the birther shit" conspiracies about Obama either.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It isn't a conspiracy. Nice deflection.
    Mitt got his money from his family to go to college. Where did Barry get his money? Simple question.

The Toxic Twins song is open for interpretation isn't it?

Satan killed the Rosenbergs. Satan killed Michael Jackson.

As heads is tails
    Just call me lucifer.

Satan is a liar.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

I fully agree --- the only 2 requirements in the Constitution to be eligible for the Presidency is be at least 35 yrs. old and a natural-born U.S. citizen.

An authentic birth certificate can validate both those requirements --- all candidates should be required to produce it 1 year before the election or else they drop out.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't believe anyone is still entertaining birther fantasies in 2012...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The birth certificate is a fake made on a computer...

Sent from my iPhone, bitches!

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can't believe anyone is still entertaining birther fantasies in 2012...

Well, when Obama continues to do underhanded shit like not being open and forward with Fast and Furious documents and not releasing his college records and such, it is easy to want to go back to his birth certificate and question the authenticity of that as well. The guy and his administration is about as transparent as a solid brick wall. His policies are horrible for the economy and in his grand scheme he wants to cater to the lowest class of Americans and not only have everyone else pay for it, but double or triple the amount of people who will become dependent on the government and not want to go out and work. Why do you think that every economic bill that gets passed in the house and sent to the Senate, Harry Reid put's it in his pocket and forgets about it. It's because Obama want's to grow government and turn this country into the biggest socialist country in the world. Obama doesn't want job creation, he want's entitlement growth and expansion. If you people who love Obama so much would just sit back and just realize that we as a country are on the fringe of losing our freedom and our rights as a nation, as a people. This country was founded on very simple and solid principles and ideals, and at every turn, Obama has stepped and shit on the constitution for his own radical agenda.

Let's also get this out and straight. Blacks and Hispanics didn't put this lunatic in the White House, dumbass young white college kids who don't know shit from shinola did. Truth be told, if you don't own property or have a damn job, are an Illegal Mexican and don't pay taxes and you live off a government check, you shouldn't have the right to vote for President of the United States or anyone else. If you have nothing invested into this country and live off everyone Else's hard work, why should you have a say or vote on who makes the policies and govern this country. You got these dumb kids/people out there who don't know shit, never worked a day in their life and they get a chance to vote for someone like Obama who doesn't know jack shit about business, so they can be part of the sheep and feel all fuzzy inside, while people who actually own business's and have employee's that work hard and depend on a stable job and economy can now suffer for their idiotic sense of self worth. FUCKING PURELY PATHETIC!!!
    Last edited by MUSICMANN; 07-13-2012 at 06:11 PM.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It isn't a conspiracy. Nice deflection.
    Mitt got his money from his family to go to college. Where did Barry get his money? Simple question.

Satan killed the Rosenbergs. Satan killed Michael Jackson.

As heads is tails
    Just call me lucifer.

Satan is a liar.
    See, you have the whole meaning of the song ass backwards.

It's called "Sympathy for the Devil" for a reason.

The whole point of the lyrics is that you mortals have blamed ME for everything that goes wrong throughout all of recorded history, when the actual blame falls on yourselves. Because you fail to realize that most of the evil that takes place on Earth is not rooted in Hell, but in the hearts and minds of your fellow human beings.

"....when after all it was you and me"

So when you meet me, have some courtesy. Have some sympathy, and some taste. And for Hell's sake, start taking responsibility for your own fuckups and stop blaming it all on the Devil.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Dragonshit.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's because Obama want's to grow government and turn this country into the biggest socialist country in the world.
    Seriously, can you pull your head out of Michael Weiner's ass long enough to name ONE socialist thing that Obama has done?

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    See, you have the whole meaning of the song ass backwards.

It's called "Sympathy for the Devil" for a reason.

The whole point of the lyrics is that you mortals have blamed ME for everything that goes wrong throughout all of recorded history, when the actual blame falls on yourselves. Because you fail to realize that most of the evil that takes place on Earth is not rooted in Hell, but in the hearts and minds of your fellow human beings.

"....when after all it was you and me"

So when you meet me, have some courtesy. Have some sympathy, and some taste. And for Hell's sake, start taking responsibility for your own fuckups and stop blaming it all on the Devil.
    You are a liar.

Satan killed Curt Cobain. Satan killed Jimi Hendrix. Satan killed Jim Morrison. And video killed the radio star.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Seriously, can you pull your head out of Michael Weiner's ass long enough to name ONE socialist thing that Obama has done?

If you don't know and can't see, then you must be one of those dumb kids who shouldn't have been and still allowed to fucking vote.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post

Sent from my iPhone ringing up my asshole next to my head, bitches!
    Um, their is a ton of evidence besides his Certificate, dummy. Are you guys fucking retarded with this birther horseshit?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you don't know and can't see, then you must be one of those dumb kids who shouldn't have been and still allowed to fucking vote.
    Translation: I was home-schooled and my mom-sister never told me what "socialism" actually meant. She just told me it was something you should call Democrats. Especially when they aren't white. Even when they ACT like Republicans.....

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You are a liar.

Satan killed Curt Cobain. Satan killed Jimi Hendrix. Satan killed Jim Morrison. And video killed the radio star.
    Cuntney Love killed Kurt. The asshole who hung up on Jimi when he called for help killed him. And Morrison isn't actually dead.

And corporatism killed the video star.

But this thread isn't about any of that. It's about Willard Mittens Romney being a greedy, tax cheating, job killing, serial liar.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Toxic Twins were these guys, not Jagger and Richards.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Correct. Jagger & Richards are the Glimmer Twins. But the Toxic Twins tried to be them. Not necessarily succeeding, but had way too much fun trying.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...221652801.html

"There is absolutely no evidence that I had any role whatsoever in the management of Bain Capital after February 1999," Romney told ABC News' Jon Karl. "Why the president continues and his people continue to make these kinds of charges and try to turn this into something big is clear, I think, to the American people because the president's failed to do the job he was elected to do which was to get this economy turned around."

Sorry I don't know my drug users like you guys do.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/r...221652801.html

"There is absolutely no evidence that I had any role whatsoever in the management of Bain Capital after February 1999," Romney told ABC News' Jon Karl.
    The evidence was posted by my Most Unholy self above in post #7.

Willard Mittens Romney was the "sole stockholder, Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, and President" of Bain Capital in 2001.

A Role in the management? It would appear he was EVERY role in the management, as Chairman, CEO, and President are usually three different positions.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Um, their is a ton of evidence besides his Certificate, dummy. Are you guys fucking retarded with this birther horseshit?
    Um, President of the United States is possibly the most important job in the world. Should we rely on EVIDENCE or should we rely on DOCUMENTATION?

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The DOCUMENTATION has been widely posted from Earth to Hell and all points in between......

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama...ertificate.asp

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The DOCUMENTATION has been widely posted from Earth to Hell and all points in between......
    My only point is that this should have been done up front before anyone is allowed to run for (or vote for) any public office they should be required to prove who the fuck they are. Then if there were any doubt it could be quashed on day one without all the obfuscation, which fuels all the scrutiny and mistrust. The way it was handled it looks really bad, like the man had (has?) something to hide. I have no idea about what is going on with this and some of the speculation here is obviously by nutballs, which some of course have seized and built on, but that certificate honestly looks like some sort of photoshop to me. Maybe it is merely the way it was reproduced or maybe he doesn't want to make public something about his parents' religion or father's info. But you cannot deny that all the foot dragging and ceiling gazing on his part makes him at least LOOK like he has something to hide. Maybe he doesn't and it is just ANOTHER poorly handled situation by this administration. I would have made copies of mine on day one, gave them to everyone and went on to the next thing, that's how a person acts who has nothing to hide.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    McCain should have been the one to shut this bullshit witch hunt down during the 2008 campaign. The fact that he actually WAS born on foreign soil was reason enough to not allow his party to be hypocrites about it. To his credit, he DID try to tone down all the "He's an Ay-rab Mooslim" crap.... most of which was stirred up by his own running mate.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Clearly so. It's fucking pathetic.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Clearly so. It's fucking pathetic.

What's really pathetic is Obama's record.

Running with myself
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's really pathetic is Obama's record.
    Slightly more pathetic are those who blame Obama for the huge pile of Chimpshit that was left for him to clean up.

Yeah, he could have cleaned it up better, and followed the FDR blueprint on how to do so. But the fact remains that it was a big pile of shit. And they don't make a wheelbarrow that can carry that out in one load.

Thread Information