Thread: Gibson cops plea, admits guilt in Lacey-Act illegal wood-sourcing case...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Exclamation Gibson cops plea, admits guilt in Lacey-Act illegal wood-sourcing case...

Gibson Guitar acknowledges exotic wood violation

By ERIK SCHELZIG | Associated Press

http://music.yahoo.com/news/gibson-g...154434875.html

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — Federal prosecutors on Monday announced a deal to drop a criminal case against Gibson Guitar Corp. after the instrument maker acknowledged its importations of exotic wood violated environmental laws.

Nashville-based Gibson agreed to pay a $300,000 penalty, forfeit claims to about $262,000 worth of wood seized by federal agents and contribute $50,000 to the National Fish and Wildlife Foundation to promote the conservation of protected tree species.

"The agreement is fair and just in that it assesses serious penalties for Gibson's behavior while allowing Gibson to continue to focus on the business of making guitars," U.S. Attorney Jerry Martin said in a statement.

Gibson didn't immediately respond to messages left Monday seeking comment. The privately held company is considered one of the top makers of acoustic and electric guitars, including the iconic Les Paul introduced in 1952.

Gibson's decision to cooperate with the federal Lacey Act banning the import of endangered wood products stood in contrast to a publicity campaign mounted in protest after agents raided Gibson facilities in Memphis and Nashville.

Republicans and tea party members had rallied behind CEO Henry Juszkiewicz at the time he denounced the raids as overzealous federal regulation that threatened American jobs.

"We feel totally abused," Juszkiewicz said immediately after the August 2011 raid. He vowed at the time the company would "fight aggressively to prove our innocence." Soon afterward he was invited by House Speaker John Boehner to attend a joint session of Congress in which President Barack Obama delivered a speech on jobs.

A few weeks later a company spokesman claimed that a federal agent had "lied" in affidavits claiming the CEO knew the wood seized by authorities was illegally imported.

Those affidavits supporting the search warrant that authorized the raids alleged that shipments of imported Indian ebony and rosewood were given false labels to circumvent import restrictions.

The settlement says a Gibson employee learned during a 2008 trip to Madagascar — the source of some of the ebony wood that was seized — that it was illegal to import unfinished wood and sent a report about it to his superiors, including company President David Berryman.

The exotic woods used in such guitars are considered integral to the sound. And artists who have played Gibson instruments range widely from Chet Atkins and Maybelle Carter in country to Pete Townshend of The Who and Eric Clapton in rock to Larry Carlton and Paul in jazz.

George Gruhn, who owns a vintage guitar shop in Nashville, said he wasn't surprised that Gibson officials accepted the settlement.

"Regardless of the merits of the case on either side, it would have cost more than that by far to pursue it," he said. "Even if they thought they conceivably they could win, it would have probably cost more than $1 million to do it."

Gruhn said the resolution of the Gibson case doesn't ease his concerns about the Lacey Act, which initially halted the trade in endangered wildlife goods, like ivory, but in 2008 added rare woods to the import ban.

"The problem is that virtually every instrument prior to 1970 contains Brazilian rosewood," he said. "Even on a Gibson LGO, which was their cheapest student guitar."

Justice and Interior Department officials said in a September letter that those who "unknowingly possess" an instrument made from illegally imported materials don't have a criminal problem.

Last year, Blackburn and fellow U.S. Reps. Jim Cooper of Nashville, a Democrat, introduced legislation they said would protect people from charges for unknowingly possessing illegally imported wood, and would require the federal government to establish a database of forbidden wood sources.

A coalition of environmental, logging industry and musicians' groups oppose the measure.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    FUCK GIBSON

They get NO MORE of my money.....greedy fucks

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm trying to think when was the last time I bought any guitar NEW......

1984-ish maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    1989 for me.

I did get an Epi Les Paul Studio as a present a couple of years back. But I did not buy it myself. And it was made in China, not the US.

Here is the only reason this all happened.

The wood was not "finished".

It was raw "wood".

So....what they need to do is have the wood imported to China, and FINISHED in their Epi factory, THEN EXPORTED TO THE US!

How fucking difficult is that?

What sucks is that it continues to promote the policy of not letting employees in the US do the work....thus shipping the jobs overseas....

It is a load of crap if you ask me...

And here is another way to get around it.

The only requirement for exporting the wood from Indonesia or wherever is that it be FINISHED in those countries before it is exported.

So all they have to do to abide by the letter of the law, is to get a fucking LOG of ebony or rosewood, SAND THE FUCKER DOWN AND SPRAY SOME WATER-BASED FINISH ON IT AND THEN EXPORT THE FUCKING THING TO THE US!

THERE! IT IS FINISHED BEFORE IT IS EXPORTED, AND THEREFORE LEGAL!

Then once the log arrives in Gnashville, they can saw it up and make fingerboards out of it as they wish, and there is not a fucking thing the DOJ can do about it!

Fucking idiots.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 08-07-2012 at 02:55 AM.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    FUCK GIBSON

They get NO MORE of my money.....greedy fucks
    I'm sure they are crying at the thought of the loss of your business.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This makes me even more glad I build my own guitars...

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    I'm sure they are crying at the thought of the loss of your business.
    Right....Just like all the KANTS in WI cried when they got Boycotted.......

GIBSON is the typical shitbag company that ran SOUTH to advoid paying people a decent wage.....and their product sucks ass

I'm sure the quality of their guitars is Obama's fault too!!!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    This makes me even more glad I build my own guitars...
    Hardrock maple comes from the USA or maybe Canada.

Alder and Ash comes from the USA.

Strats are about as American as they come and frankly sound great. Who needs fancy wood from around the world? Let the fucking rain forrest grow.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Right....Just like all the KANTS in WI cried when they got Boycotted.......

GIBSON is the typical shitbag company that ran SOUTH to advoid paying people a decent wage.....and their product sucks ass

I'm sure the quality of their guitars is Obama's fault too!!!
    Their quality control is sure hit and miss. Muscian's Friend used to have a big store in Salt Lake City and they were selling off all the inventory really cheap. I snagged a JTM 45 reissue for $200. I'm checking out the Gibson Les Pauls and one drew blood on me. The fret ends had not been dressed. I couldn't believe it and it was a very expensive guitar. Others trying them out were finding all sorts of flaws in the workmanship. It was pretty obvious the company was coasting on it's name.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post

Strats are about as American as they come and frankly sound great. Who needs fancy wood from around the world? Let the fucking rain forrest grow.

I'm using ebony fretboards on the new stuff, but I'm OK with decent-feeling boards dyed black if it saves some endangered trees in Madagascar or whatever...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Couple of years back they were having trouble with quality.....the standard production line was producing guitars that were superior to the Gibson Custom Shop.

Gibson Custom Shop is having trouble finding people to work there. They are STILL (after several months) running ads on CL trying to find people to do the most basic stuff.....routing, sanding, setting necks.....their reputation is so bad they cannot even find anyone to do their most basic production work.

I bet when Henry J. dies, they will find it really easy to find good help.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post

As far as assembly goes, a lot of the MIM starts sound and play better than the "American" ones.

My local GC hates it when I walk in and start taking every guitar off the wall and start comparing them. The day they don't let the average Joe come in and try out the goods is the day they lose everyone's business.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post

My local GC hates it when I walk in and start taking every guitar off the wall and start comparing them. The day they don't let the average Joe come in and try out the goods is the day they lose everyone's business.
    Yeah...FUCK THEM! Play ANY guitar you want...especially one you're considering buying....I have ZERO tollerance for that shit....like I'm 12 yrs old..."Hey Kid! Don't break anything!"

Thread Information