Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chi-town324
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    • Feb 2007

i also have never heard even one song of the album and plan to keep it that way

Comment

• DONNIEP
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Mar 2004

For anyone that's still on the fence or who's never heard the record...give this a listen. It's pure shit. Like the kinda shit you take the morning after downing a fifth of Jack and all the beers in the house. Matter of fact, I have to say this: I've never had one piano lesson in my life but I guaran-damn-tee you I could play something better than this. Hell, I bet I could bang out Big Bottom and it would sound better than this crap...

Last edited by DONNIEP; 08-09-2012, 02:04 AM.
      American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Blaze
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2009

Alright, I listen to it. There are some key clips that would be great for a dubstep!
        This is my notes:
        Gary sounds a lot like Hargar.
        The end of audio track 4 and the begining of audio track 5 should be brought togehter.
        Once - the begining is good. Gary could enucate a bit better, I cannot understand what he is singing.
        Year to day - like
        Audio Track 10 - like
        How many I say - I like Eddie's smokey voice. It would have been better if he had not blended it with a stronger voice.

I think the album without most the vocals could be edited into a solid half hour dub.
        "I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. - Some come from ahead and some come from behind. - But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. - Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!" ~ Dr. Seuss
        sigpic

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

Are there any pros about this album?

Josephine is so terrible it actually makes me laugh every time I hear it (after I've thrown up in my mouth). I didn't think it could get worse than 'Whaaaam Bam, Amsterdam', but I was wrong.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• Yount
            Commando
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by binnie
            Are there any pros about this album?

Josephine is so terrible it actually makes me laugh every time I hear it (after I've thrown up in my mouth). I didn't think it could get worse than 'Whaaaam Bam, Amsterdam', but I was wrong.
            "Josephina" was a last minute inclusion on the album, replacing "That's why I love you" but I do not think it's a poor song. Released under the name Van Halen doesn't do it any favours though.

Comment

• VHscraps
              Veteran
              • Jul 2009

I listened to it once, about two years ago - so more than ten years after it was released. Had never heard a lick of it before. I was slack-jawed at how ill-disciplined it seemed; and how formless the songs were.

Overlong intros to songs that couldn't decide where they were going was one of the things that stuck out to me. I can't be arsed with Cherone either, so I admit I started out wanting it to be bad.

I couldn't bring myself to listen to it twice.

I read Hagar's book last year and one of the things I do tend to believe in it is where he said that he, and before him Roth, turned Eddie's ideas into songs.

VHIII proves that in spades for me. It's a bunch of ideas, where Eddie - probably for first the first time - was telling the singer what to do.

Okay, I only listened to it once, so maybe my opinion is worthless, but there you have it. I don't consider it a Van Halen album.
              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• Yount
                Commando
                • Jan 2012

I've listened to it at least 50 times. Not much at all lately though. You have to dig deep to hear things you like, but in all honesty, it grows on you much more than Sammy's work with the band. You can hear and feel more for these guys as a band, even though the songs were just really a "miss" under the name Van Halen, commercially or otherwise. Sammy had that pop sound, III was like the insert photo, a wacky carnival WTF? They were still finding their feet I guess, but the public was already impatient after the DLR debacle. It was a wrong time, wrong place, wrong name, band.

Without you - one I want - Fire in the hole - once (the scrapped single) - were not really hits were they? This album lacked a genuine WOW hit.
                It's still far superior lyrically to Sammy's moon june dribble.

Comment

• Yount
                  Commando
                  • Jan 2012

Have always been interested in hearing the follow-up album to III, songs like "Left for dead" "Comfortably dumb" "River wide" "Rock n roll cliche" I wonder what they might have sounded like.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by chi-town324
                    i also have never heard even one song of the album and plan to keep it that way
                    I don't think I've heard half of it.

Just looked up Strung Out as I had never heard it before.

Holy fuck.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Originally posted by Yount
                      It's still far superior lyrically to Sammy's moon june dribble.
                      In the same way that testicular cancer is far superior to pancreatic cancer.

Comment

• Yount
                        Commando
                        • Jan 2012

Strung out is from Balance - 1995.

Can't stop loving you.
                        Not enough.
                        Amsterdam.
                        Big fat money.
                        Feelin'.

I don't enjoy them.

Baluchitherium or however you spell it. No vocals.
                        These guys hated each other and could barely produce an LP of tunes. Blame Eddie & management. Nah blame Sammy too. He's just shit and I hate him more with each listen. His lyrics take me nowhere 'cept maybe some immature sentimental lamenting mindset. Love love love. All so superficial. What I want, big fat money. I'm listening to Balance now. It's horrible. Seventh Seal is good and gives you some hope, but the ending is bad. Feelin' sucks. What happened to the great endings like On fire? Both Balance and III had tragic last tracks.

Comment

• Seshmeister
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Well apparently I haven't listened to all of Balance either.

These albums are why you can't tell people you are a Van Halen fan without then spending 5 minutes explaining what you mean by that.

Comment

• Yount
                            Commando
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                            you can't tell people you are a Van Halen fan without then spending 5 minutes explaining what you mean by that.
                            Yeah, agree.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Leave III just as it is...

Sometimes in life it's best to have a vivid reminder of your worst mistakes sitting around... damn near guarantees you won't do it again!!
                              "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• chefcraig
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                                Matter of fact, I have to say this: I've never had one piano lesson in my life but I guaran-damn-tee you I could play something better than this. Hell, I bet I could bang out Big Bottom and it would sound better than this crap...]
                                Wanna learn how to suck pretty much all of the oxygen out of a barely-filled concert hall? Try pulling this off with a straight face. Any percussive sounds you hear are provided by the feet of people stomping their way toward the exit signs. And hats off to you depraved, more than likely twisted masochists that can endure the entire clip.

Fuck this piece of crap and the crippled horse it rode in on. Just looking at the album cover (no need to listen to the miserable dreck contained within) is like seeing a girl you once thought of as nothing short of lovely now married to the sweaty fat-ass who never used antiperspirant but loved picking his nose and eating the results in 10th grade hallways.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                                ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

Working...