Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ADKOT - Six Months Later

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A cool thing happened to me today...I was moving my files from one phone to another and somehow, I made a new 'Album" that combined ADKOT and a one of the Zero cd's. It is an interesting combination of songs and order that I am digging.
    Roth Army Canada

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am pretty much listening to this new album with such frequency so that it catches up to the six pack although I am not consciously doing so.

It's like water reaching its own level so to speak...

STAY FROSTY
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Since February ADKOT is the only VH album I've been listening to. In fact, it's the only album at all. Really. I just can't listen to any other music. I play 2-3 tracks of something else (even from the 6-pack) and I go back to ADKOT.

"As Is" has been my favourite song since I heard it for the first time. I can listen to it 4-5 times in a row, especially the "lalala" part, which is an essence of rock and roll to me.
    I love the enegry in "Bullethead". Right now it's number two on my list, but it changes all the time. Before I was crazy about "You And Your Blues", "China Town", "Honeybaby" and "Stay Frosty"
    The only track I used to skip was "Tattoo", but recently I rediscovered it.

BTW, Listening to Wolfie's bass is a pure pleasure.
    Hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by if6was9 View Post
    Since February ADKOT is the only VH album I've been listening to. In fact, it's the only album at all. Really. I just can't listen to any other music. I play 2-3 tracks of something else (even from the 6-pack) and I go back to ADKOT.

"As Is" has been my favourite song since I heard it for the first time. I can listen to it 4-5 times in a row, especially the "lalala" part, which is an essence of rock and roll to me.
    I love the enegry in "Bullethead". Right now it's number two on my list, but it changes all the time. Before I was crazy about "You And Your Blues", "China Town", "Honeybaby" and "Stay Frosty"
    The only track I used to skip was "Tattoo", but recently I rediscovered it.

BTW, Listening to Wolfie's bass is a pure pleasure.
    Yup, been the only disc in my car. I'll turn the radio on for awhile, and then it's fuck this noise and hit play.

I find Bullethead, As Is, and Honeybaby are THE BEST three songs in the world when I'm pissed off at something and go for a drive to get it out of my system.
    "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just wondering. If you were not a hard core Roth lovin Sammy Hagar hatin classic Van Halen fan how would you rate ADKOT compared to the rest of the CVH catalog? Are ya just so happy the band put out another album and followed it up with a tour that you automatically consider it a great album? I worshipped Zeppelin as a teenager. If they released a new album and it was on the level of In Through The Out Door I would be disapointed but I realize It might not be in them to make even one more album even close to as good as Led Zep II. Is ADKOT as good as Van Halen II or is it like 1984? I'm on the fence. It's going in the right direction for me but It's not on the top of my VH cds either.

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I loved in through the out door....fucking classic cuts....Fool in the Rain....Carus.....I guess motherchicken you prefer the "I wanna hold your hand" era of Zep....I am sorry that you ignore the Black Album of Zep. As plant said "Paul and I recorded it in the Dark...alone".

Nothing at all wrong with that album. Still sloppy Page playing with moments of brilliance...and Bonham spot on.

Least learn something about a bands catalogue....not everything is political.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post
    I loved in through the out door....fucking classic cuts....Fool in the Rain....Carus.....I guess motherchicken you prefer the "I wanna hold your hand" era of Zep....I am sorry that you ignore the Black Album of Zep. As plant said "Paul and I recorded it in the Dark...alone".

Nothing at all wrong with that album. Still sloppy Page playing with moments of brilliance...and Bonham spot on.

Not sure what to make of that last line. I 'm very knowledgable about Zep at least up to the time Bonzo died. My older brothers were rockers. I remember listening to the first album on a mono phonograph because that's all we had at the time. I never saw them live but I had all their albums. When I got my license it was 8 tracks, then cassettes, then cds. I've got Song Remains The Same on VHS and DVD. I've got How The West Was Won on cd and dvd. In Through The Out Door wasn't their Black Album. That would be LZ4 or 4Sticks or whatever you call the one with Stairway To Heaven on it. I've even heard it called ZOSO. After Presence and Physical Graffiti, In Through The Out Door was a major step backwards. Too much keyboard, not enough guitar. It wasn't the worst album ever made but it was a step in the wrong direction.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SunisinuS View Post

Oh yeah baby, motherchicken damn man, have another listen. This album is untouchable, no other band can do this, admit it with fresh ears. Bonham on Fool In The Rain (and Plant) as well as the whole album - sends shivers up and down my spine. Oh and JPJ! I never got all that ridiculous "dinosaur" tag in the press - really, what were they supposed to do? - when you hear the new A DIFFERENT KIND OF TRUTH album you appreciate In Through The Out Door a little more. Plants lyrics alone make this album a must listen.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fool in the rain is classic... It was my friends with benefits bumping uglies song for years.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Didn't Plant and/or Page suffer from the death of their children prior to this album? the mammoth Led Zep was falling apart.... and then Bonham went... such a sad way for a band to end. Gotta be very thankful VH came to fill the void because I don't think too many bands can touch Zeppelin in terms of scope of human emotion and depth of understanding, I've always loved the story they have told (even though I'll tolerate the masturbatory Whole Lotte Love stuff) in particular this last album touches on themes that are so close to the human experience in all of us

sorry to ramble on

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Touches on themes? That's maybe an understatement!

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Listened to ADKOT 4 times this week.

Can go the distance every time, no skips. Good endorsement.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah I get it yount man... Swannnnniesss!!! Storm tomorrow,

I'm a feather in the wind.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah bloods!!!!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fool in the rain is class love it tho bumping uglies to it , funny rhythm . I need something a bit like my timing speeding up near the end and shorter
    fuck your fucking framing

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In Through The Outdoor is a great album. Fool In The Rain & In THe Evening are classic ! Hot Dog is Plants best Elvis. And Pagey's solo on it is fucking classic ! It's the only guitar solo that makes me laugh ! Page said in interviews that he talked to Bonham about how he wanted the next album to be heavier. But we all know what happened. What a shame. As far as ADKOT. I still go out of my way to listen too it a few times a week. Love it from start to finish. I think it will be hard for them to top it. But I hope they try !!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ADKOT is part of the 7-pack in my book. Like it just as much (or even better) than some of the first 6. Pretty amazing when you think about it. At this point I was just hoping for a VH base hit, and they knocked it out of the park.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    ADKOT is part of the 7-pack in my book. Like it just as much (or even better) than some of the first 6. Pretty amazing when you think about it. At this point I was just hoping for a VH base hit, and they knocked it out of the park.
    Am with you all the way

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    Didn't Plant and/or Page suffer from the death of their children prior to this album? the mammoth Led Zep was falling apart.... and then Bonham went... such a sad way for a band to end. Gotta be very thankful VH came to fill the void because I don't think too many bands can touch Zeppelin in terms of scope of human emotion and depth of understanding, I've always loved the story they have told (even though I'll tolerate the masturbatory Whole Lotte Love stuff) in particular this last album touches on themes that are so close to the human experience in all of us

sorry to ramble on
    No big catastrophe in the members lives while recording that album but there was plenty before that. Plant lost a son and got fucked up in a car crash just a few years before. It was or seemed like it was a long time between albums though. Zep used to put one out every couple of years but I think three passed between Presence and In Though The Out Door. I guess I enjoyed the lets party stuff more than the I have feelings too stuff. I think it's more of a that's not what I'm used to from them thing. Just like 1984. I want the Running With The Devil Van Halen not the Jump Van Halen.

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    That's where we differ. I like the first four (not so much number three) then bits of the rest. I can say the same about most of my favorite bands. Aerosmith made three goods one then went downhill. Ted made a couple. GNR had a couple. Maybe I just don't like change.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand, brilliance all around even though they're very different styles.
    I think Bonham is the most musical drummer in hard rock history. (not that I've heard every drummer)

ADKOT is melodic power and I wish it would have been a double album.
    I want the 10 albums in the can box set.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by motherchicken View Post
    That's where we differ. I like the first four (not so much number three) then bits of the rest. I can say the same about most of my favorite bands. Aerosmith made three goods one then went downhill. Ted made a couple. GNR had a couple. Maybe I just don't like change.
    You're saying Aerosmith went downhill with Rocks?

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand...
    The former is my all time favorite song where by I almost can't understand a single word being sung. I know, bizarre category. But it's true!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    The former is my all time favorite song where by I almost can't understand a single word being sung. I know, bizarre category. But it's true!
    Ha ha - no shit. I only get about every 7th word in that song, but I still love it.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by motherchicken View Post
    I guess I enjoyed the lets party stuff more than the I have feelings too stuff. I think it's more of a that's not what I'm used to from them thing. Just like 1984. I want the Running With The Devil Van Halen not the Jump Van Halen.
    Hmmm I see, you can't just go putting on In Through The Out Door at teen beer pong parties! Better keep it safe with 4-sticks - or worse - a greatest hits blechhh.

Still... so sick of hearing Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Rock N Roll, Whole lotta love.
    (Either we the public are lazy and just wanna keep hearing the same stuff we've heard before - or there's some cruel sadistic mothers on song selection in Radioland.... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You're saying Aerosmith went downhill with Rocks?
    Actually I should have said two then out for Aerosmith. I don't care much for Toys In The Attic either. That's when Steven decided screaming out the lyrics was an improvement over singing. Rocks just continued the downhill slide.

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hmmm I see, you can't just go putting on In Through The Out Door at teen beer pong parties! Better keep it safe with 4-sticks - or worse - a greatest hits blechhh.

Still... so sick of hearing Black Dog, Stairway To Heaven, Rock N Roll, Whole lotta love.
    (Either we the public are lazy and just wanna keep hearing the same stuff we've heard before - or there's some cruel sadistic mothers on song selection in Radioland.... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)
    I wouldn't be attending a teen beer pong party in the first place. I'm in my 50's for god sake. About the only time I listen to music at all is in the car. I haven't sat around getting stoned and listening to albums since I was a teenager. I too have gotten tired of hearing the same old same old from Zep, Aerosmith, VH and the other classic rock acts on the radio. I listen to Jack sometimes just to get a variety of music. I didn't even know Scorpians made a recording of Tainted Love before I heard it on Jack. But you gotta put up with disco shit from bands like Kiss sometimes too.
    BTW I don't consider LZIV or whatever that album's called a party album. II maybe but not IV.
    Last edited by motherchicken; 10-02-2012 at 12:07 AM.

Enemy of the Clique

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love Carouselambra and Achilles Last Stand, brilliance all around even though they're very different styles.
    I think Bonham is the most musical drummer in hard rock history. (not that I've heard every drummer)

I want the 10 albums in the can box set.
    It might be an age hing but there's no comparison between those songs. Achilles is a hard rock classic that was ripped off almost not for note by Heart for Barracuda. Carouselambra is a keyboard heavy classis example of corporate rock. Hot Dog is the only good thing on that album and it's more of a novelty song than a rocker. But I do dig Plant's Elvis imitation.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The FACT that you won't hear any ADKOT on any station unless you get lucky at 3am flippin' 'round like DLR under the sheets...

...here today gone later today.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    .... even a true blue VH fan like me can tire of hearing Jump, Panama, and the VH regulars on the wireless.)
    That's a God Damn Lie!

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's a God Damn Lie!
    Yeah, give yourself an uppercut sunshine! You crank hot for teacher like it's the first time ya heard it...

Adkot 8 months later, a mammoth effort. Just magnificent. A couple of flat spots, but an amazing thing to hold in your hands after 28 years.. A real Van Halen album. The playing and singing is great, the songs are (mostly) great, it's loud.

7 pack. It's worthy.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    You crank hot for teacher like it's the first time ya heard it...
    They rarely play it. Fuck 'em. Fuck Why Can't This Be Love.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It is...

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Cool

Yup, me too, and add Chinatown and Kill The Guy, just drive as fast as the music plays , and you'll be there in no time. L.O. L.

Your blonde hair is beautiful b.t.w. It looks real pretty.

I can guess where you live if it ends in 'gina.

REGINA ?

You'd be surprised that one of my favorite things in the whole wide world also ends in 'gina. Hee, hee, hee.
    Last edited by big fatty; 10-04-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by big fatty View Post
    Yup, me too, and add Chinatown and Kill The Guy, just drive as fast as the music plays , and you'll be there in no time. L.O. L.

Your blonde hair is beautiful b.t.w. It looks real pretty.

I can guess where you live if it ends in 'gina.

REGINA ?

You'd be surprised that one of my favorite things in the whole wide world also ends in 'gina. Hee, hee, hee.
    Regina...the city that ends in fun.

Thank you for the compliment.

Idle No More
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whoops...rhymes with fun

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ATM...

Orgasmic:
    Blood and fire
    As Is
    HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    You and your blues
    Stay frosty

Upper echelon:
    She's the woman
    China town
    Bullethead
    Outta space

Very tasty:
    Tattoo
    The trouble with never
    Big river
    Beats workin'
    Last edited by Yount; 11-28-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    It is...

True dat ! I bought 2 of em ! And don't even have a turn table.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ATM...

Orgasmic:
    Blood and fire
    As Is
    HoneyBabySweetieDoll
    You and your blues
    Stay frosty

Upper echelon:
    She's the woman
    China town
    Bullethead
    Outta space

Very tasty:
    Tattoo
    The trouble with never
    Big river
    Beats workin'
    Swap she's the woman and you and your blues and that dog will hunt

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Well, we've had 6 months to marinate in it. Anything change for anybody over that period- songs (or the album in general) getting stronger or weaker with repeated listenings? General thoughts?
    Not really. Found it to be as boring as the first listen. Eddie and Dave covered no new ground and opted to reformulate their 1977 groove back to their well, 1977 groove. In fact, ADKOT is so god damn boring I'm surprised Eddie and Dave aren't playing in a Hall & Oates tribute band. At least there they'd be more enjoyable to listen to.

ADKOT = D-

Thread Information