Thread: ESPN.com visits, critiques, and grades all 30 Major League Baseball ballparks

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ESPN.com visits, critiques, and grades all 30 Major League Baseball ballparks

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/neel/030910.html

PNC Park (Pirates): 95
    Pac Bell (Giants): 93
    Camden Yards (Orioles): 92
    Coors Field (Rockies): 85
    Edison Field (Angels): 84
    Kauffman Stadium (Royals): 84
    Wrigley Field (Cubs): 84
    Dodger Stadium (Dodgers): 82.5
    Comerica Park (Tigers): 82
    Fenway Park (Red Sox): 81.5
    Safeco Field (Mariners): 81.5
    Jacobs Field (Indians): 81
    Turner Field (Braves): 81
    Ballpark at Arlington (Rangers): 80
    Great American Ball Park (Reds): 79
    Minute Maid Park (Astros): 78.5
    Miller Park (Brewers): 78.5
    Busch Stadium (Cardinals): 78
    Pro Player Stadium (Marlins): 78
    U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox): 74
    Yankee Stadium (Yankees): 73.5
    Bank One Ballpark (D-Backs): 72
    SkyDome (Blue Jays): 67
    Metrodome (Twins): 66.25
    Shea Stadium (Mets): 63
    Network Associates (A's): 59
    Qualcomm Stadium (Padres): 58
    Tropicana Field (Devil Rays): 56
    Veterans Stadium (Phillies): 53.5
    Olympic Stadium (Expos): 49

Nothing like a walk in the ballpark
    By Eric Neel
    Page 2 columnist

There's much to love about a ballpark -- even the homeliest, most desolate one.

The walls of any ballpark change us. Outside, we're the disconnected masses, we're aimless individuals, drones on the 57 freeway in Anaheim. Inside, we're a crowd, we're the red-shirted sea of Edison Field. We have shared roots and a common vision inside. We raise our voices to the heavens and crash our thunder stix as one.

Capping it off: The Ballpark Tour gets an 'A'.
    A ballpark reveals our true spirits. In the workaday world, we're reserved, cautious, "civilized" automatons making widgets for the Man, trudging our way toward the deepest, darkest pits of oblivion. But look at and listen to the Hawk Harrelson acolytes stripping bare their souls on the south side of Chicago these days and you will know that in a ballpark, we become wild, carefree, and, sure, maybe a little blotto. We have wings in a ballpark. We fly free and proud. We squawk, unafraid.

In the far corners of the Metrodome and Skydome tonight, there are dozens of kids perched on the edge of their seats wearing baseball gloves. They have no chance at a ball, but still, they sit at attention like brave, vigilant knights. That's the ballpark thing: faith and devotion.

In a ballpark, you smell the familiar smell of salt peanuts, maybe you get a whiff of the bathrooms under the bleachers at Fenway; and just like that, you're breathing in old memories of games with your grandpa.

Ballpark Chat
    Page 2's Eric Neel and Jeff Merron -- two of our ballpark tour participants -- stopped to discuss ballparks, hot dogs and beer prices in a ballpark chat.

At Safeco, from sushi to salmon sandwiches, and in Baltimore, from potato knishes to Boog's Bar-B-Q, gluttony is the joyful, unrepentant order of the day. Gluttony is good. Ballparks are good.

We launched Page 2's Summer Ballpark Tour out of love for these and a hundred other ballpark pleasures. Jim, Jeff and I hit the road looking to revel in the ballpark thing and hoping to remind you, dear reader, of your inner ballpark child.

It was a great ride. We trod on hallowed ground, ate mountains of food, downed rivers of drinks, and, oh yeah, saw a few games.

It wasn't all fun and games, of course. We also took the tour because we knew some places were selling the ballpark experience short, and our love for what it could and should be meant we had to call them out.

You've seen the numbers and the critiques. In the end, though, for us the work of the tour boiled down not to a chart but to a vision of an ideal ballpark.

For $30, Eric got a poet's view of McCovey Cove (and saw a ballgame to boot).

You know about grass over turf, of course, and open-air over roofs whenever possible. And we have suggestions about less signage, more and better souvenirs, etc.

But based on our fieldwork, we can say (with a nod to our Spinal Tap friends) that there are 11 items crucial to the core of the perfect ballpark. Some are changes the bottom-of-the-barrel parks could make now; some are notes for the architects and owners of the future. They are:

1. Wide, walkable concourses with views of the field all the way around. Let the game be an environment, let the fans move in and around it, let them breathe it in like air. Let them know, like the good people of Pac Bell know, that baseball is all around us.

2. The return of columns supporting the upper decks. Close is the coin of the realm; behind-the-post is a story to tell your kids about how badly you wanted to be there and how crazy-full the house was. Put a guy in the third deck in Oakland and ask him if he'd be willing to swap that seat for one behind a post. He'll take you up on it, just as soon as he catches his breath from the long walk up to the seating hinterlands.

THE GRADES
    Our final grades for all 30 ballparks:

PNC Park (Pirates): 95
    Pac Bell (Giants): 93
    Camden Yards (Orioles): 92
    Coors Field (Rockies): 85
    Edison Field (Angels): 84
    Kauffman Stadium (Royals): 84
    Wrigley Field (Cubs): 84
    Dodger Stadium (Dodgers): 82.5
    Comerica Park (Tigers): 82
    Fenway Park (Red Sox): 81.5
    Safeco Field (Mariners): 81.5
    Jacobs Field (Indians): 81
    Turner Field (Braves): 81
    Ballpark at Arlington (Rangers): 80
    Great American Ball Park (Reds): 79
    Minute Maid Park (Astros): 78.5
    Miller Park (Brewers): 78.5
    Busch Stadium (Cardinals): 78
    Pro Player Stadium (Marlins): 78
    U.S. Cellular Field (White Sox): 74
    Yankee Stadium (Yankees): 73.5
    Bank One Ballpark (D-Backs): 72
    SkyDome (Blue Jays): 67
    Metrodome (Twins): 66.25
    Shea Stadium (Mets): 63
    Network Associates (A's): 59
    Qualcomm Stadium (Padres): 58
    Tropicana Field (Devil Rays): 56
    Veterans Stadium (Phillies): 53.5
    Olympic Stadium (Expos): 49

Complete rankings by category

3. Grilled hot dogs. No exceptions (and, in a perfect world, no ketchup either; just mustard, relish, and maybe some on-yaaawn). In Denver, clearly one of the more enlightened cities in America, you aren't allowed to vote or drive a car until you've been licensed to operate a grill.

4. Cheap seats ($5 and under for kids). Win back the base. Until everyone follows suit, we'll be swimming with the fun and frugal in the Fish Tank at Pro Player Stadium.

5. Ticket upgrades. Say I buy a nosebleeder but in the third inning I see one down close that's empty -- let me buy it for a little extra. You get something for what would otherwise be an empty seat; I get that bargain-hunter euphoria that about doubles my enjoyment of the game and absolutely guarantees I'm coming back. Try this, or you know, if you're the Yanks, just keep trying to scare the bejeezus out of me with ushers who work the joint like federal agents, cuz you're the Yankees, right, and you can do whatever you want, right?

6. Retirement of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" during the seventh-inning stretch (except at Wrigley, where it's still working as a tribute to Harry and as a chance for what our friend Bill calls "unintentional comedy" . . . cue Mr. and Mrs. Osbourne). Do it up big -- get Bud to give speeches, retire the damn song's jersey for all we care. But kill it like D-Con kills roaches. Kill it dead. Then let some new grooves and new ideas loose, like maybe everybody dancing and stretching and waving their arms to Stevie's "Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing," or all the party people in the house doing one lap around the park, shadow boxing all the way, to "Gonna Fly Now." Or let some good ol' ideas have their day, like they do in Houston, when the people get jiggy with "Deep In The Heart of Texas."

7. View of the surrounding area over the outfield walls -- hills, bay, mountains, city skyline, whatever. Witness PNC, Pac Bell and Coors. Do not witness, even on pain of death, Qualcomm's over-the-back-row view of IKEA. Word to the ballpark Man: If you've got nothing to show us, you've chosen the wrong spot for your park.

8. Selections of beer and food from local microbreweries and restaurants. A tip for park owners: Abandon the Bud Lights and Aramarks of the world, and we'll actually spend more. I'm actually paying off my beer tab at Network Associates in installments.

Jim Caple is just about as intimidating as the ferocious tiger that greets you at Comerica.
    9. Distinctive architecture. Stand out and fit the city and the surrounding neighborhood at the same time. Do we contradict ourselves? Very well then, we contradict ourselves. Our ballpark needs are vast. They contain multitudes. And in Detroit, where our needs are met, they contain multitudes of Tiger statues. It's a great touch. Every angle is a photo-op, and the corporate name gets quietly, repeatedly undermined by the name in everyone's hearts: It ain't Comerica, of course, it's Tiger Stadium.

10. Small foul territories, and bullpens into which you can see from the seating areas. Arlington, Texas, and Anaheim, California, are the height of the form on this.

And last but not least . . .

11. Public access. Not like Wayne and Garth in Aurora. I'm talking buses, trains, trams, shuttles, cable cars, and magic carpet rides. I'm talking about sweet evening strolls across the sacred memory of Roberto Clemente. I'm talking about a ride on the El in the Second City. I'm talking about (at a bare minimum) carpool lanes right up to the parking lot. Think party bus, think the cast of "Silver Streak" minus all that murder mystery stuff, think of the kids in "That 70's Show" rocking out because they're ridesharing (but don't think of Ashton, because there's no way he's in that car right now; he's in some limo with whatshername, sitting in traffic, wasting gas, and not getting to the game on time). You get me. Easy transportation to-and-from -- that's all I ask.

Is it too much? Are those 11 guidelines too unreasonable? Not, it seems to us, when we're talking about something as storied as baseball. Step foot in any ballpark in the country, and you know thousands of fans and hundreds of players have been there before and will come after you. It's an aura thing, a history thing, a let-the-circle-be-unbroken thing.

And they hold batting practice in ballparks. What's better than that? What's better than the syncopated byplay between cracks from the cage and snaps off the fungo bat?

And there are ground rules in ballparks. And smiling people who will help you to your seats. And ice cream in little helmets, too. All of this is very reassuring.

What's more, you're offered beer in your seat at a ballpark. And you can spit seed shells on the ground. And there's steel and brick (unless it's poured concrete, of course, but even then it's something solid) you can lean on, come back to, and trust in. And there are scorecards and pencils at a ballpark, and everyone wears caps and sneakers.

These things are inherently good, they are the very definition of good, and we will come out for them even when the ball is bad, even when the ball is in Montreal (well, maybe not when it's in Montreal).

But make a few of the changes on our list of 11 (now or sometime down the road), and you will have a great ballpark. And we won't just come out for that, we won't just hit it along our tours, we'll revere it, we'll pen songs to it, we'll pack up the family and make pilgrimages to it.

Speaking of which, wonder if my editors would see their way clear for me to take next week off. I smell a Steeltown road trip in the offing. Guys?

Eric Neel is a regular columnist for Page 2.
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I know I'm gonna get hammered for being a homer, like I give a fuck...

But PNC Park is really an outstanding baseball stadium....

Great food (Primanti Bros. sandwhiches, yum-yum )....

Great view of the city skyline...

Not a bad seat in the house....

The only aspect of the stadium that I wouldn't rate as at least "good" would be the parking...

Many of the locals walk across the Roberto Clemente Bridge out past center field...

But if you're coming in from out of town, parking can be a little hectic...

Definitely recommend taking in a game if you're in the area or passing through....

I also concur with Camden Yards, same great atmosphere, especially in the early-mid '90's when they were packed for a few years straight...

And besides, Hooters was just down the street...

Or so I heard...
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How old is this?

Last Gasp
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting indeed ...

But c'mon! Safeco ranked #11? ... Bullshit, it's the model every new ball park likes to copy to make their own ...
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags ...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Mama's Fool
    How old is this?
    I believe this list is quite recent bro....

Snoo
    It's a year old.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Alright...time to comment on this...

I haven't been to PNC...but I've heard nothing but good things...rating it Number 1 is ridiculous...but if it's a year old, it would make sense...with PNC being the flavor of the month at the time...

Pac Bell...looks like a great park...and even has some early history with Bonds hitting all those dingers...again...ridiculous to call it number 1...although I would rate it higher than PNC based upon the fact that people actually goto it...no offense Va...but if you have a half-filled stadium...I don't care if it's made out of gold...it shouldn't be rated #1...

Coors Field...similar to Camden and I'm assuming PNC...on of the latter versions of Camden...beautifal park...and always has good crowds...but the skyline makes the park...one of the few stadiums that provide a scenic view that's probably much better than any game that's ever been there...

Hell...I can't talk about all these damn parks...

my top 10...

1. Wrigley (if you haven't been their...shut your piehole...I hate the Cubbies...but that stadium, and that crowd are outstanding).

2. any HOK built stadium...and they've done every remodeling or new stadium in the majors since Camden...and every one of them is good for their own right...whether it be the view...the food...and how they tie in with their city...outstanding...retro parks rule...

3. Fenway--a shittier version of what I think of Wrigley...love the stadium...love the wall...hate the dirt...

4. Yankee Stadium--I should probably rate it higher...you can't help but think about the greats that have graced that stadium since its inception...that alone makes it a great place to see a game...

Camden is either 1 or 2...why? because CAMDEN, not Safeco...is the centerpiece of all the new parks...been there...and agree with a lot of what Va Beach has said already...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Snoo
    PNC is #1 because it wasn't designed in the same vein as all the "state-of-the-art" complexes that are interesting twice, then boring. It really must be seen to be believed. Too bad nobody here gives a crap about baseball, and never did even when Bonds was getting the team to the playoffs before his annual choke job.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn...been to Coors Field...the Jake several times...Camden twice...

and I haven't been bored by a retro park yet...

what makes any new park boring is the fact that there isn't any history...

The Jake ended up setting the record for most sell-outs in a row...some world series teams...and some great teams...it acquired history...

PNC...like I said...I haven't been there...I'm sure it's a superb ballpark...and built upon all the faults of the other parks...I know when Camden was built...the only complaint was that some of the seats weren't facing the plate...

The Jake was their next park...and they fixed that problem there...then eventually went to Camden and fixed that...

I grew up around Pittsburgh Snoo...as did Va...so we know the culture...

If Pittsburgh could ever put together a winning team...I still don't think they would sell out...hell...they didn't in the late 80's when Bonds was there...losing in the playoffs every year...I went to several games...buying tickets the day of the game...and there was no sellout...not even close...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I took my Dad and son to the July 4th game at Jacobs the year it opened...

For some reason, I just didn't get the atmosphere like I felt at Camden or PNC....

Mr. Awesome
    Head Fluffer

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Damn...been to Coors Field...the Jake several times...Camden twice...

and I haven't been bored by a retro park yet...

what makes any new park boring is the fact that there isn't any history...

The Jake ended up setting the record for most sell-outs in a row...some world series teams...and some great teams...it acquired history...

PNC...like I said...I haven't been there...I'm sure it's a superb ballpark...and built upon all the faults of the other parks...I know when Camden was built...the only complaint was that some of the seats weren't facing the plate...

The Jake was their next park...and they fixed that problem there...then eventually went to Camden and fixed that...

I grew up around Pittsburgh Snoo...as did Va...so we know the culture...

If Pittsburgh could ever put together a winning team...I still don't think they would sell out...hell...they didn't in the late 80's when Bonds was there...losing in the playoffs every year...I went to several games...buying tickets the day of the game...and there was no sellout...not even close...
    Pittsburgh has always shit on their sports teams besides the steelers. It pisses me off. The pirates and the Penguins can't sell playoff tickets, but the steelers can sell out even with an 0-16 record.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's called 4 Super Bowls in six years...

it's called Penn St. and Pitt...

it's called Western PA football...

PA, in general, has always been a football state...and Pittsburgh has always been a football town...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
    I took my Dad and son to the July 4th game at Jacobs the year it opened...

For some reason, I just didn't get the atmosphere like I felt at Camden or PNC....
    When you spend 20 odd years sitting in that monolith called Municipal Stadium with 2,000 of your favorite friends...and then...you are handed a brand new park...with the city skyline behind it...a winner...and sell out after sell out...

well...there you go...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    2000 fans was a busy night down at Muny!
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Aaah, yes, I went there the year Frank Robinson was player/manager....

What a great place to watch a game...

A football game, that is...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah Va...it was a great place to see a football game for sure...

but every opening day...or Yankee doubleheader...

when there were 75,000 fans there (at best...twice a year)...there was nothing like it...

7 Time MVP
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You've really gotta watch a game at SBC park(formerly Pac Bell), to believe it. Even though I've been there easliy over a hundred times now, it still just knocks me out. Then again I had to suffer at The Stick my whole life, so a field at the local high school woulda been better. Seriously though , it belongs at leat in the top 3.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like I said...all those retro parks that HOK built are fantastic in their own way...

I don't really think you can differentiate what they mean to each city they were built in...I do like San Frans though...but only seen it on TV...

Thread Information