X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

The Strength and Power Workout Thread

I'm going to post some stuff here intended to get people off on the right track if they want to start working out. These will be workout routines and links. Feel free to chime in.

First up, laying a basic foundation, starting with the 5x5. One of the earliest, and best, proponents of the 5x5 was Reg Park....Hercules from the movies, Mr. Universe, and the idol to one young Austrian lad who would become one of the best bodybuilders of all time, Arnold Schwarzeneger.

The following is from bodybuilding.com, though this can be found at other sources on the web.

The 5x5 model was Reg Park's choice du jour for packing on slabs of muscle and producing hundreds of pounds of strength. This is also the model that Arnie came to know and love during his formative years. But this isn't Bill Starr's 5x5, this is Reg Park's 5x5 and it's a little different. The first two sets of five are actually used as warm-up sets. So let's say we're going to work our way up to a 150 lb bench, the first set of five would be about 60% or 90 lbs, and the second set of five would be about 80% or 120lbs. After that you would get down to the grit, what Reg liked to call Stabilizer Sets; 3 sets of 5 at 150lbs. So it would end up looking like:

5x90 (Warm-up @ 60%)
    5x120 (Warm-up @ 80%)
    5x150 (3 stabilizer sets)
    5x150
    5x150

When you can get all your reps of 5 at 150 lbs, you add 5 lbs. So next time your bench it would be:

5x95
    5x125
    5x155
    5x155
    5x155

Reg liked to use about 3-5 minutes to rest in between sets.

One more thing: When you're first starting any 5x5 program you never want to start with your max. Typically you start 30-45 lbs below what you think you can do and work your way back up. Starting anywhere near your maximum capacity is a good way to stall out, so give yourself a running start. If that means starting with an empty barbell, well, just consider that Arnold and Reg both started at the same place you will.

Onto the programs...

----------------------

The Reg Park Beginner Routine

Here is a workout that he and Arnold used with great success (provided by Kaya Park, Reg's grandson)

Workout A

Back Squats 5x5
    Chin-Ups or Pull-Ups 5x5
    Dips or Bench Press 5x5
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Workout B

Front Squats 5x5
    Rows 5x5
    Standing Press 5x5
    Deadlifts 3x5 (2 warm-up sets and 1 "stabilizer set")
    Wrist Work 2x10
    Calves 2x15-20

Week 1: A, B, A
    Week 2: B, A, B
    Week 3: A, B, etc

Try to do it in a Mon/Wed/Fri or Tues/Thurs/Sat schedule.

Next up, Reg Park's Power Training.

I'm also going to post some stuff about proper abdominal work. Most of you are probably doing ab exercises that are going to eventually hurt your lower back.

Ladies, this workout would be good for you also. It'll slightly build your muscles which will in turn ramp up your metabolism to help burn fat. It's a great way to a bikini-ready body. Don't worry about building big, bulky muscles like you see the female bodybuilders have. You simply don't have enough male hormones floating around your bloodstream for that unless you're on the juice (taking anabolic steroids).

BTW, if you don't know what a particular exercise is, consult this area RIGHT HERE.
    Last edited by BigBadBrian; 09-08-2012, 05:52 PM.
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Seshmeister
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• envy_me
      Swedish Love Pump
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Seshmeister
      Omg, that's fantastic. So hypnotizing...
      The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• jhale667
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Fucking Hasselhoffed!
        Originally posted by conmee
        If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
        Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
        I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
        Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
        Originally posted by eddie78
        I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• So this is love
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

another gay thread...
          Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
            ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I do HIIT a few times a week.That really kicks your ass
            I really love you baby, I love what you've got
            Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• BigBadBrian
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Dave's Bitch
              I do HIIT a few times a week.That really kicks your ass
              You're right....HIIT is a great workout. If you do HIIT on a regular basis, you're probably in damned good shape.
              “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Originally posted by So this is love
                another gay thread...
                There's nothing wrong with this thread, I don't consider it "gay"...

Frankly, it's just as valid as a thread that embeds 87 VH youtube videos that we've all seen over and over....
                Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• So this is love
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2012

I agree VH 87 was gay, but I did not post any VH 87 vids...the fact that you don't consider this thread gay doesn't mean it is not. :tongue0011:

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by So this is love
                    I agree VH 87 was gay, but I did not post any VH 87 vids...the fact that you don't consider this thread gay doesn't mean it is not. :tongue0011:
                    Of course it doesn't, just my .02....

And moreover, if you think THIS thread is gay, then there's about 500 other threads around here that are EXCEPTIONALLY gay.....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• So this is love
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

Don't take it personal...I have nothing against gays...In fact I'm really pissed that all the football pools in this website are closed down for entries.....There is only one game played for godsake.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Personally? Here?

Well, we've had basically the same group of guys in our keeper league for about 10 years now, vacancies in that league are very rare....

You had a chance to join the non-keeper league that Dale set up this year, why didn't you join?

Comment

• So this is love
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Fuck my bad I started looking for pools in the first quarter of the season opener this week...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

The best way to break a person into weight training is to get them on a rowing machine first. Also kudos on the warm up and cool off sessions. Those are very important. Too many injuries are the result of people just not warming up and warming up right. Also, you are less stiff and sore if you do this.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• envy_me
                              Swedish Love Pump
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Dec 2010

I really HATE warming up. I have no patience what so ever, I just wanna get started with the real thing right away.
                              The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

Working...