ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    I also agree with Lounge...er...I mean, 'ELVIS'

I could understand the hype for the multi-disc 2003 LZ release,
    I'm in the middle of the 2nd DVD from 2003 and wow to that and disc 1. (serious power)
    And I've seen the show from the latest DVD and I agree with you , and Lounge/Elvis.

and jason bonham's got chops too but fuck man, chops ain't enough when you have chops and feeling that moves your fucking marrow.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ahhh...the great Led Zeppelin...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Led Zeppelin: Rock legends get real about "the best band"

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_1...the-best-band/

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shame to see Charlie Rose debase himself like that.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Took long enough for Rock And Roll to gain serious respect in this world.....being interviewed by Charlie Rose is a pretty high accolade these days....

That was actually a very well-done piece. Done with the level of professionalism one would expect from Charlie Rose.
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 12-21-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    I'm in the middle of the 2nd DVD from 2003 and wow to that and disc 1. (serious power)
    And I've seen the show from the latest DVD and I agree with you , and Lounge/Elvis.

and jason bonham's got chops too but fuck man, chops ain't enough when you have chops and feeling that moves your fucking marrow.
    Yeah, that 2003 dvd was a fucking monster...especially the first three years of the band...they were just shit-hot live.

Far as Jason Bonham...well, suffice it to say very few of the "sons of" or "daughters of" ANY famous/iconic entertainers across the board (music/film/televison) really end up exhibiting much in the way of greatness that their parents did...which just goes to show that nepotism doesn't necessarily reflect talent. I mean, the remaining members of Zeppelin may have a comfort level with Jason Bonham that they might not have with any other drummer in terms of general familiarity. Certainly, Jason Bonham has probably studied and listened to his father's style and has an encyclopedic reservoir of Zeppelin's readings of various songs live over their career.

Having said all that, I didn't really feel that Jason is the only drummer out there who could have done the numbers justice. John Bonham wasn't a complicated drummer, but the guy knew how to swing, whereas Jason is a bit more straightforward at times...perhaps too dead-on in terms of his approach. Take, like, John Bonham, or Charlie Watts, or Phil Rudd or even Marky Ramone: none of them are particularly complex in terms of what they did, but they're still unique to the point where when other drummers play their parts it never quite sounds right.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Michael Lee, who was the drummer for Page/Plant carried the torch very well. Played with a lot of power. Did justice to all the material.

I got Celebration Day for Christmas just now.

Am watching this right now.

Great upgrade from the bootleg 10-cam edition.

My friends continue to see Robert from time to time here in Gnashville. Hopefully I will run into him someday at some convenience store so I can just say "Hi...love the music...keep on keeping on".

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One can have a 10-cam bootleg with pretty good audio....

Still cannot compare to the real deal.

Am fucking impressed! But then, why shouldn't I be? I know what they are capable of.....

I won't even say anything is really missing. Jason Bonham? First class.....who else could fill those loud alcoholic shoes of his Dad?

Again, pleasantly pleased by Sir Robert's vocals. Very good.

Just like when I saw Page/Plant in 1998, I though Plant would not be able to really sing....and I thought that Pagey would be sloppy.....

Plant was astonishingly good, and Page was on fire that night.

So.....

I will just say this is a fitting cap on an incredible career.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The only part I was a bit disappointed with was Jimmy's guitar mix on No Quarter... Couldn't hear him very well....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Saw Page/Plant in both '94 and '98, and both were incredible in both shows. Still two of the most amazing live performances these ears have ever witnessed.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As for the 2003 set....what scared the crap out of me was the entire un-edited stockholm performance.....at times the band was not separate musicians......it became a living, breathing THING......one of the few bands I have seen in my life where the band became it's own entity....greater than the sum of it's parts......Van Halen on their first 4 tours was like that........ZZ Top was like that in their 1975-76 period......that lightning.......Rammstein has it.....NIN has it.........of course Hendrix had it.....Frank Marino still has it.....

The 1970 Royal Albert Hall footage was amazing. There is a bootleg out there of this that has a ton of footage never released. I would suspect Jimmy Page would be behind this....here is a great description......I think I have it somewhere in all my DVDs....

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.co...tage-no-label/

Long Tall Sally: Royal Albert Hall 1970 Alternative Footage (no label)

Live at the Royal Albert Hall, London, UK, January 9, 1970

(The Alternate Cut) 1. Intro 2. We’re Gonna Groove 3. I Can’t Quit You Baby 4.White Summer 5. Whole Lotta Love 6. Communication Breakdown 7. C’Mon Everyboy 8. Long Tall Sally

(Single Camera Footage (fragments)) 1. Intro 2. We’re Gonna Groove 3. I Can’t Quit You Baby 4. Communication Breakdown 5. C’Mon Everyboy 6. Something Else 7. Bring It On Home 8. Long Tall Sally

(Official Cut Analysis (multi-angle comparison)) 1. Intro 2. We’re Gonna Groove 3. I Can’t Quit You Baby 4. White Summer 5. Whole Lotta Love 6. Communication Breakdown 7. C’Mon Everyboy 8. Something Else 9. Bring It On Home 10. Long Tall Sally

In 2003, Led Zeppelin finally released some live material that was worth waiting for. How The West Was Won came from 2 unforgettable shows in California in the summer of 1972. But it was the DVD that opened fans’ eyes wider to what Led Zeppelin was really all about. For this reviewer, it was disc 1 of the DVD in particular that made (and makes) that release an all-time favorite concert film. The setting was the Royal Albert Hall on January 9, 1970, and it is now legend how Jimmy Page and others collaborated to produce that concert film for the masses.

As with all things Zeppelin, however, the official release did not contain all of the material from the Royal Albert Hall concert. “Hearbreaker” and “Long Tall Sally” are two examples of songs that were played that night, but not included on the offical release. Thankfully, subsequent bootleg releases have enabled us to hear those songs in brilliant sound quality, essentially completing the concert from an audio perspective.

Anyone viewing the Royal Albert Hall concert will notice that it was based on multiple different camera angles. Because of this and Zeppelin’s penchance for withholding material, one may wonder if there was footage not included on the DVD, and, if so, where the heck is it?! This common question amongst Zep collectors has now been addressed, to some degree, by the anonymous no label’s release of the Long Tall Sally DVD containing some of that missing concert footage in largely beautiful quality.

The single disc is divided into three chapters: (1) “the alternate cut”, (2) “single camera footage (fragments)”, and (3) “official cut analysis (multi-angle comparison)”. While there may be something alternate about the first chapter, it’s in the second chapter that we are really treated to something new and breathtaking. Beginning from the introduction immediately preceding the concert, which then captured Bonzo from his right side as he did a thunderous stretching-out around his kit before catapulting the band into “We’re Gonna Groove”, we’re locked into the “single camera” that stayed with – and focused on – John Bonham. Moving behind Bonham’s gong, the camera perfectly captured his aggression and subtleties from almost his back pocket (incredible!), and then from his left side while he was head-banging along with the driving patterns he was laying down. Unfortunately, this is not presented for the entire song, which may be why it’s called “fragments.” Nevertheless, this single camera footage presents never-before-seen action on stage, synched perfectly with the flawless audio, to make this portion of the DVD worth the price of admission alone. It even offers us a glimpse at the “Zeppelin” chant by Gino and Robert’s follow-up to that just before the encore.

The third chapter of the disc provides an “official cut analysis,” which is an interesting on-screen display of the various camera angles capturing the same moment in the concert. This is, again, all synched wonderfully to the perfect audio.

Simply stunning and, for Led Zeppelin fans and collectors, an essential addition to the library.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Enjoying the tribute on the Kennedy Center Honors. Not going to critique it. Good stuff all around.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Really!? I must have missed watching it. Can't imagine why.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And I hate Richie Sambora, but I'm not going to make an online unpaid career of declaring it. Let it go person!

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Richie was all right when he was on Fergusen not too long ago.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have RS's Stranger in This Town CD..... I like it.

I find him less annoying than JBJ

And I'd rather listen to him than Page any day......
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He is good at being Richie Sambora, but truthfully his playing bores me to death.

I dunno why. I just don't find his music (or JBJ's) stuff to be very exciting.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    'stranger in this town' has some very cool tunes.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    He is good at being Richie Sambora, but truthfully his playing bores me to death.

I dunno why. I just don't find his music (or JBJ's) stuff to be very exciting.
    Not exciting in the least...

Good background music in the bar, though.....

People always guess wrong.

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    'stranger in this town' has some very cool tunes.
    Sad that Desmond Child co-wrote the best song, though.....lol

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    i just dug out my copy; the writing credits also include bryan/morolda/foster/warren/jbj/ as well as child!

it's a cast of thousands... oh well, a good song is a good song. it hasn't dated well though, ay?

Builder of Sites
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    it hasn't dated well though, ay?
    Leave Krusty out of this.....

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wow, I just chucked that comment out there and did something else. I return to see people actually speak complementary of that guy?? He tops my list of most over rated ever. Tone? Thin. Style? Boring. Originality? Hasn't happened yet. I can completely do without his forced phony soul man growling way of singing, too.
    To each...
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 12-27-2012 at 05:53 AM.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LoungeMachine View Post
    Not exciting in the least...

Good background music in the bar, though.....

People always guess wrong.
    Yeah, every once in a while, I'll put "Dry County" on the juke. Then again, I'm the same drunken shithead that likes to play obscure REO Speedwagon, 10cc and Little Feat Tunes, much to the annoyance or general indifference of anyone else, particularly them gas-heads shooting pool. Fuck 'em all, and leave me to my Golden Tee golf game, ya whining bastards.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Rock N Roll Outlaw
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Girl View Post
    Enjoying the tribute on the Kennedy Center Honors. Not going to critique it. Good stuff all around.
    Foo Fighters(Rock N Roll) and Kid Rock (Ramble On)gave so-so preformances.
    Lenny Kravitz(Whole Lotta Love) was cool.
    Heart/w Jason Bonham(Stairway To Heaven) was GREAT!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Stairway was awesome. What a production for it. I think at one point when they showed Plant, he looked like he realised how much that song meant to people. I know he doesn't think much of it anymore. Lyric wise anyway. I never need to hear it again but it is a great song. It was cool hearing it that way.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Stairway was awesome. What a production for it. I think at one point when they showed Plant, he looked like he realised how much that song meant to people...
    My guess was he was thinking of John Bonham.............

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm getting so fucking sick of this lame DVD shit.

Post some real news about these buttfuckers like when one of them gets a stroke or cancer or is hit by a bus.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    My guess was he was thinking of John Bonham.............
    I thought the same thing myself. They were close.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Post some real news about these buttfuckers like when one of them gets a stroke or cancer or is hit by a bus.
    Oh hey LOOK! Guess who showed up?!?

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    I thought the same thing myself. They were close.
    Best friends...........and he was PISSED at Jason for following down the same dark road as his old man for all those years....THAT is what has kept PLANT away all those years

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Poor little girl. You will be o.k. Do you need your blanky ? HOW BOUT DON'T READ THE FUCKING THREAD IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE BAND DUMBFUCK ! Same reason I don't read the politics on here or anywhere else. If you believe in the 2 party system that is in charge of the country you are in dream land ! There is no reason to comment on the bullshit. Because thats all it is. BULLSHIT !

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    Oh hey LOOK! Guess who showed up?!?

Whatever. You're a homo.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Oh HE reads it...............religiously........

has to keep his name in circulation

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Whatever. You're a homo.
    clever......

whats next, another cliche?

You dolt

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Shit almost forgot ! You REALLY need to get laid more !

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wha???

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status