Mick Jagger: £189m

The rest here.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'd imagine it's very hard to calculate these things.

Surprised at how high Sting is on that list. Maybe he's not on my radar, but has he really done much in the way of high earners since 1990? (Police renunion aside). Same with David Bowie - was he ever a huge stadium tourer?
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good for Paul! He deserves every penny! LOVE that man!
    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

The Starchild
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would not say Gene Simmons is really a lead singer
    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bono Vox?

I don't think he's used "Vox" since...... well, since he recorded THIS.....

Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post

Surprised at how high Sting is on that list. Maybe he's not on my radar, but has he really done much in the way of high earners since 1990? (Police renunion aside). Same with David Bowie - was he ever a huge stadium tourer?
    Bowie is interesting - sometime in the last ten years he floated his future royalties (or his back catalogue, whatever way you look at it) on the NY stock exchange. I remember at the time he garnered an immediate sum in the region of £65m (UK pounds). I wonder if he retains some shares and trades 'em ...!
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I am British - so, who is Dave Matthews, and how can he have earned $155m from being a lead singer if I have never heard any of his records / songs or seen him on TV / heard him on the radio!? Ditto Jimmy Buffett. I mean - who the fuck is he?

I'm not omniscient, but I have followed what goes on in rock music for a few decades ...

Spamulus Flatulus is probably richer than some of the lower ranked here on this list.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave Matthews is one of those neo-hippie jam band guys. I think he also does the occasional acoustic tours where it's just him and one other guy playing guitars. I wouldn't consider myself a big fan of his work, but it's alright to listen to when you're in a certain mood.

Kinda similar with Buffett.... He's really only had two bonafied hit records that I can remember - Margaritaville and Cheeseburger in Paradise - but he's got a fairly sizeable cult following (they call themselves "Parrotheads") and sells out his concert tours even without being on the radio for the last 30 years. Of course it doesn't hurt when your uncle is named Warren Buffett and he gives you investment tips either.

Ironically, both David Lee Roth and Sammy Hagar are Buffett fans. Sam's entire Cabo Wabo schtick was completely ripped off from Jimmy, and Dave played a cover of Buffett's "Tin Cup Chalice" with his band when they did a series of live radio appearances in 2002. Unfortunately this performance seems to have disappeared from YouTube.
    Last edited by FORD; 09-16-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had to sit thru a Dave Matthews concert one time surrounded by a buncha damn hippies. The only reason I went was because the semi-depressed chick I was dating was a huge fan.

I may be in the minority here but I love Jimmy Buffett. Went to my first Buffett concert in '89 and I loved it. Some of the people at the shows are a little wacky but it's a fun show.
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    I may be in the minority here but I love Jimmy Buffett. Went to my first Buffett concert in '89 and I loved it. Some of the people at the shows are a little wacky but it's a fun show.
    I've heard he puts on a great show, but I haven't gotten around to seeing him yet. One of these days......

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did you know Jimmy Buffet is a member of The Bohemian Club? I shit you not. The guy hangs with the Bush family.

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He is so fantastic! I literally love this guy. Not just his talent, but what an incredible person he is. My dad used to play this song when I was little.

Last edited by envy_me; 09-16-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    I've heard he puts on a great show, but I haven't gotten around to seeing him yet. One of these days......
    You really should go to a show. These people show up hours before the show and they grill in the parking lot and have blenders and all kinds of stuff. It's a fun summertime show.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Further to earlier post about Bowie - I half-remembered it. He sold stocks in his future royalty earnings for $55m in 1997, and was the first of several performers to do so. This article mentions James Brown - netted $100m, and Iron Maiden (no figure mentioned)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IDEA KEEPS STARS ROLLING IN ROYALTIES

The Guardian
    By Emma Brockes
    July 1999

Two years ago, David Bowie struck a deal on Wall Street that brought him $55 million overnight and a credibility among bankers he was never likely to achieve as Ziggy Stardust.

The "Bowie Bonds" were a radical innovation: shares sold in Bowie's talent, namely the projected royalties of his first 25 albums in the next 15 years. He had, in effect, floated himself on the stock exchange and, with this, gained greater control of his royalties.

Bowie got the applause, but the man behind the deal was a 36-year-old broker who has just pulled off the same trick for James Brown --- this time to the tune of $100 million. His name is David Pullman, he comes from New York, and he has a flair for drama to rival that of his clients.

"Your dad wants you to be a doctor because he says business is bad; your mom wants you to be an attorney because she'd like to divorce her husband. I wanted something bigger," Pullman said.

"After I was in Time magazine, my third-grade teacher called to say, "Is that the same David Pullman? I knew you'd be the one to succeed."

Pullman looks like Jerry Seinfeld, talks like a machine gun and, while modest he ain't, his boasting recalls that of the class nerd who grows up to be hugely successful but never quite believes it.

"When we struck the Bowie deal, we didn't even know if it would work," he said. "But the first lesson of success is that you mustn't be afraid to fail. Bowie never once rang to say if there were problems. The same with James Brown. They look you in the eye and, within 60 seconds, they get the concept. Everyone thought I was crazy when I first did the deal; now they're all at it."

It is the intellectual property market --- an estimated $1 trillion field that deals in nontangible assets like royalties. The idea came to Pullman when Bowie's manager approached him with the aim of selling his publishing rights. Pullman had a better idea: Why not keep the rights and float bonds backed by Bowie's future earnings?

"It was pro-creator, pro-artist, because it let them keep the copyright," Pullman said. "The artists loved it. They'd say, 'I wish I'd met you years ago. It's about time there was someone on our side.'"

Pullman charges a 10 percent commission and, before doing anything, sends in the auditors whether his clients are being defrauded.

"Most artists are lazy," he said. "They complain a lot, but they aren't disciplined enough to audit their accounts. So we send in the best."

It's a hard line he also takes with his staff, snapping down the phone as they ring in at 15-minute intervals. "You got the message this morning? And have you done anything about it? That was four hours ago. This is unacceptable. Have you phoned Mandy? Have you phoned Mandy? You're not listening to me: I said, 'Have you phoned Mandy?'"

He bands down the phone. "Someone I should have fired," he says.

The Pullman Group gets 1,000 inquiries a year, but it's rare that an artist has the status to secure the deal: Iron Maiden has done it, and the songwriters behind 40 percent of Motown's hits --- Holland-Dozier-Holland. For once, old age increases the artist's values.

"James Brown was 66 when his agents approached us," Pullman said. "Our catalogs are typically 20, 30, 40 years old. If a song is producing money from 1966 to 1999, the odds are it's going to continue to produce."

Pullman gets on well with the artists because he says he understands them. His first ambition was to go to art school, and he likes the glitz of rubbing shoulders with legends. "There are similarities between the sharpness in eye of someone who's an artist, and of one who's a top businessman."

It would all be very wearing if he took himself too seriously. But he doesn't. There is a "family" crest on the company Web site, a medley of lions and harps that turns out to be cribbed from the Pullman coach company.

The phone rings again. It's New York. "Did you update the Web site?" he asks. "No, not the photo of James Brown. Just the one of me."

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Same with David Bowie - was he ever a huge stadium tourer?
    Hell yes !!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Probably hasn't hurt Bowie and his shareholders that his entire 70s catalog has been remastered and re-released several times since the invention of the CD either.

It's a great catalog, of course. But after buying the complete set of Rykodisc remasters in the 1990s, I didn't feel the need to buy them again.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, at some point, buying the same thing over and over loses it's appeal...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The Thin White Duke surprised me the most perhaps, he has more bling than The Boss. Springsteen has been touring regularly whereas Bowie has been in semi-retirement...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I dunno what the situation is in the US, but Bowie has enough 'classic' singles / songs that will get played forever - Life on Mars, Space Oddity, etc., etc. - that I'd guess he (or the people who bought so-called 'Bowie Bonds') would have a pretty decent income from airplay royalties alone.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    How did fucking Bono get so rich while telling us to give away our money?

If Bono kept $12 million to live on, stopped working and didn't make another penny not even interest, then he could give $2k every waking hour for the next 30 years...

It seems every time he snaps his fingers another bit of credibility dies...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    How did fucking Bono get so rich while telling us to give away our money?

If Bono kept $12 million to live on, stopped working and didn't make another penny not even interest, then he could give $2k every waking hour for the next 30 years...

He invested in Facebook when it was a startup ... when it went public last year, that cash till started a-ringing and I don't expect it will stop.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think Bono thinks he's the messiah and I think we should crucify him.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Ah, Sesh - almost too subtle there.

I think an audience member was reputed to have shouted out something when (reportedly, I don't know if it happened) Bono did that speech 'every time I snap my fingers a child dies' thing.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Most the world's money is made in the form of capital gains. So if they invest the money they made in showbiz wisely it will keep making money for them. The old saying the hardest million to make is the first million is usually true.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I'll drive the first nail.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Then we have to cast lots on who wins the blue glasses.

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He doesn't hold the record..........he IS the record.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think we would respect Bono more if he stayed off of the save the world and guilt trip bit and just had a bimbo on each arm and cigar in his mouth yelling "Rock and Roll!" Of course you can get away with that if your songs are good and you blow your audience away every night because you are so fucking brilliant. What people really want is to be floored off their fucking feet. They want goose bumps. Provide that and don't be the preacher man and be real they will respect you.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Enough with the crucifixion jokes already.

As SomeOne who hath been there and done that, it really is not all that funny.

And why all the hate for My servant Bono anyway?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    He doesn't hold the record..........he IS the record.
    Record? Don't tell me the fucker came down from the mountain with some stone tablets in his hands.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Bono does not think he is Me. You have My word on that.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
    Bono does not think he is Me. You have My word on that.
    I think you are right. He thinks he's your daddy. Bono thinks he's God.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    U2 sucks...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Then we have to cast lots on who wins the blue glasses.
    Indeed, just as the old Romans did with the big J's stage gear on that hill on Calvary

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    U2 sucks...
    Verily I say unto you that they do not suck. For they hath written many songs that glorify Me and My Dad.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You really do see and hear everything we do, don't you Lord?

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, our fLord is omnipresent.

King of the Jews
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Verily..... even sometimes when I'd rather not!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Who are you, Jesus?

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Record? Don't tell me the fucker came down from the mountain with some stone tablets in his hands.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Crap

Randy (Marsh) is heavily constipated, having not had defecated in more than three weeks. After taking a laxative, Randy produces an abnormally large piece of excrement during an extremely painful bowel movement. Believing he has passed the world's biggest stool, he reaches out to the "European Fecal Standards and Measurements" office, headquartered in Zürich, Switzerland. The institute concludes he has the world record, weighing in at 8.6 courics – a fictional measurement named after journalist Katie Couric. (1 couric equals approximately 2.5 pounds of excrement.) As Randy is the first American to ever receive the award, the American government holds a ceremony to honor his achievement – however, it is interrupted by a video of Bono, the previous record holder, claiming he has just taken an excrement weighing 9.5 courics, and is therefore still the record holder. His claim is accepted, despite protests that his only proof is an unverified photo.

Randy is saddened by the loss of his record, and his friends convince him to train hard and reclaim the position. After three weeks of eating, an ultrasound reveals his feces have reached about 14 courics in weight. Bono successfully demands Randy be required to pass his stool in Zürich. This prompts Randy's son Stan to visit Bono's mansion and ask him to relinquish the first place record, saying Randy has never won anything in his life, unlike Bono. However, Bono angrily refuses to be "number two" at anything. Bono'sbutler takes Stan to Zürich and informs him of the truth –Bono set his record in 1960, the year he was born; Bono is not the record holder, he is the record itself.

Everybody is gathered in Zürich, where the institute's leader explains he produced the world's biggest excrement in 1960 and was so proud, he raised it as a child. Over time, it grew up into Bono, explaining why Bono can help so many people through his humanitarian work while still seeming "like such a piece of shit." Bono's father says that even though Bono faked his newest record, Bono himself is over 80 courics in weight, and thus is still bigger than Randy's old record or any other feces in the world. At that moment,Randy finally produces an excrement so large it lifts him several feet off the toilet seat and is estimated to weigh more than 100 courics. Randy is hailed as the new record holder, as institute member pulls the "advertisement" Emmy image off the screen and presents it to Randy by lodging it in his crap.

Thread Information