X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Ten Years From Now....

All our favorite bands from the 60s, 70s, and many of them from the 80s will be too old to tour anymore.

Friend of mine and I were having a discussion about this yesterday.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC, Motorhead, VH, Slayer, The Stones, what's left of The Who......

All the great rock bands who were the first ones to play arenas and stadiums in the first 2 1/2 decades of what we call the modern touring industry......they will all be over 70 years old.....if you are some lame pussy like Rod Stewart, you can be the Tony Bennett of the Rock Generation and keep going until you are 80 or 85....but most rock bands, and seriously most metal bands, will hang it up before they hit 70....

They will only be around in our memories, and on our DVD players....

So go see them while you still can...
  • binnie
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • May 2006

I appreciate the sombre tone, and I share it.

But rock 'n' roll is in a weird nostalgia rut at the moment - partly because of changing musical trends, partly because the 'model' for approaching music and being in a band is so different in the internet age. But while we are in that nostalgia rut, there will not be the support for new bands to replace the old.

Radio has to start playing new shit, basically.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• ashstralia
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Feb 2004

Yeah, there's plenty of up and comings that will reinterpret and reinvent what a rock show should look like. I could name 5 bands that should be huge in a few years. We get input into this, by supporting them or not.

What's the collective age of the Rolling Stones, again?

Comment

• ZahZoo
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
        All our favorite bands from the 60s, 70s, and many of them from the 80s will be too old to tour anymore.

They will only be around in our memories, and on our DVD players....

So go see them while you still can...
        Welcome to the world of Jimi Hendrix & SRV fans...

Don't sit around worrying about this though... in 10 years you'll be older too and won't give a shit. I'll be pushin mid-60's in 10 years... doubt I'll be all that motivated to go crowd into a packed arena with 10,000 drunk assholes for a 2 hour party!!
        "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Interesting to think about. I was thinking along same lines last week. The FIRST rock musicians are just now getting old. We have never ever seen hard rock/metal people die of old age. Just because the music hasn't been around long enough for them to get there. But it's coming fast. One thing about when they die young is they stay forever young. It's gonna be really weird seeing some rocker in his 80's giving an interview.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ZahZoo
            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            Interesting to think about. I was thinking along same lines last week. The FIRST rock musicians are just now getting old. We have never ever seen hard rock/metal people die of old age. Just because the music hasn't been around long enough for them to get there. But it's coming fast. One thing about when they die young is they stay forever young. It's gonna be really weird seeing some rocker in his 80's giving an interview.
            Just hope that as they age and it starts showing they have the sense to loose the leather pants, spiked accessories and big hair... That's gonna be pathetic when those guys hit the golden years. Something I've found difficult to watch with Diamond Dave...

You look at BB King or even Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney... they look more or less normal at their age and dress the part. But then wild stage appearance wasn't part of their schtick... Take some of the rock/metal guys... they're going to have some major aging adjustments to make without looking ridiculous...
            "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Angel
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
              Just hope that as they age and it starts showing they have the sense to loose the leather pants, spiked accessories and big hair... That's gonna be pathetic when those guys hit the golden years. Something I've found difficult to watch with Diamond Dave...
              I'm so happy Dave got rid of the long scraggly bleach blonde hair. I was almost embarrassed for him on the Diamond Dave tour. I had to laugh at the casual fans this tour that were making comments asking where the long hair and the chaps are....
              "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

It did take a while but Dave is there now.The image he has now reflect his personality well.Everyone has that funny old relative with a great sense of humour and crazy stories from younger days.
                I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• Zing!
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

They can't all age like Keef. When he croaks will really be the end if an era...
                  My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
                    ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

I don't think he will ever die.In nuclear holocaust only two things will survive.Cockroaches and Keef
                    I really love you baby, I love what you've got
                    Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• twonabomber
                      formerly F A T
                      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

now may NOT be the time to go, especially if it's your first time seeing a legendary band. you may be seeing a band well past its prime and struggling to maintain a teeny piece of their past glory. then you'll come home from the show disappointed and tell everyone "they sucked."

wasn't it EVH who said "the longer the Stones go, the easier it gets for the rest of us?"

i kinda wonder if we will get another Stones tour. Charlie supposedly doesn't like to tour, Mick doesn't have a divorce or new baby to pay for...
                      Last edited by twonabomber; 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM.
                      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• FORD
                        ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by twonabomber
                        i kinda wonder if we will get another Stones tour. Charlie supposedly doesn't like to tour, Mick doesn't have a divorce or new baby to pay for...
                        If their 50th anniversary isn't enough reason for them to hit the road, then I doubt anything else would be. Sadly, it seems like the upcoming 4 shows (2 in London, 2 in NYC) is gonna be it for them. I'm hoping that the limited number of shows will be incentive to get Bill Wyman and Mick Taylor on board for what will probably be the last Rolling Stones concerts ever.

And since there's no way in Hell I'm going to make those gigs, I'm hoping there's some pay-per-view or live streaming option, and that either way, Comca$t doesn't pick that day to be flaming assholes.
                        Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• fraroc
                          Commando
                          • Jun 2012

Once classic rock officially becomes "retro" I have a feeling that people will start appricating it more. And also, I've noticed that rockers stay much younger at hear longer.

And besides, I wouldn't say 10 years from now, I'd say more like 20-25 years from now rock will officially die
                          How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Mr. Vengeance
                            Full Member Status

• Nov 2004

Honestly, I don't see any hope for music. Name one band that has come out in the last 15 years that will sit alongside all the other classic rock bands.

Sorry....it's over. Every now and then there's a spark, but how much autotune shit can we endure?
                            Stay Frosty, muthas!

Comment

• motherchicken
                              • Nov 2009

Classic rock as a style can come back into popularity. Just like classic cars. Youngster buy the new Camaros, Mustangs and Challengers. Because they perform like new cars. If they came out without a/c, power steering, electric windows and door locks like most of your 60s muscle cars did they wouldn't sell. If you could get new bands to play new music in the old style then younger people would listen to it. Nowdays when I hear a remake of an old classic like "Bad Company" that sucks ass like the one from 5 Finger Death Punch I feel like puking. Or hear some douchebag fuck up some classic rock song on American Idol. I think there's still hope for classic rock.

Comment

Working...