X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DONNIEP
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Hardrock69
    Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Like I said, the guy kinda sounds like the dude from Y&T. So I listened to 'em back to back and Mitch's voice sounds real similar to me except I was thinking it was missing the "bottom end".
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• Sensible Shoes
      Full Member Status

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by DONNIEP
      No wonder Eddie was so deep in the bottle and sucking the glass dick a few years later. Can you imagine having to audition singers for Van Halen and knowing that no matter how good the guy is there's just no way to replace Dave? I can hear him now, "Well, he was pretty good, right? I mean, he's no Dave but he was ok, right?"
      I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".

Oh dear.

Comment

• DONNIEP
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Sensible Shoes
        I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".
        Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy

Comment

• Yount
          Commando
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by DONNIEP
          Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy
          Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.

Comment

• DONNIEP
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Yount
            Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.
            That's the fact Jack!

Comment

• fraroc
              Commando
              • Jun 2012

Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.
              Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.
              How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Hardrock69
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Feb 2005

To say the least.

The Fat One is a prime example of someone who got lucky and made a pile of cash with minimal talent.

Comment

• Hardrock69
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Feb 2005

Did I say "minimal"? I meant to say NO talent.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                    SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
                    Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.
                    Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Malloy sounds way to much like Spam to me...

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Of course it crossed Eddies mind. 97% of interviews or fan interactions he had from 1985 until today someone always brings up Dave. If Eddie ever forgot it was quickly brought back into his mind.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Halen High
                          Commando
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                          Just remember...Patty Smyth and Jimmy Barnes were supposedly in the running at one point, too. And if you really want to huff on some spray paint cans, you could believe those David Coverdale rumors as well. Man, it's been a lean 26 years, ain't it?
                          Jimmy Barnes would have been another bad fit for Van Halen. But as an Aussie who grew up listening to Cold Chisel on the radio every day I can at least say that Jimmy destroys Hagar as a lyricist and sings and performs live with a lot more attitude than Hagar ever did. He's also something else that Hagar never was... cool.

Comment

• Halen High
                            Commando
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ALMOSTsaved
                            Looks like the dude at Melodicrock has posted this track on YouTube of Mitch Malloy performing "Panama" with Van Halen back in '96 before Cherone joined. It's the first time I've ever heard this guy's voice and to be fair, this is TRULY an abomination:
                            The band sounded good but Malloy was boring. Another one-dimensional power vocalist with no idea how to sing with menace and attitude.
                            Last edited by Halen High; 10-12-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

• fraroc
                              Commando
                              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                              Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...
                              Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.
                              How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
                                Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.
                                I think both were too drunk and high most the time to even know what was going on. It probably was more chemicals, liquids, and big egos than actual hate.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...