Thread: Van Halen Performs "Panama" With Mitch Malloy

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    There's one more thing that Zeppelin did, and that's play some of their songs in a lower key so Plant could hit the notes....
    True. But so what. It was for one show. For a guy that signed them that passed away. I went to see it last night. The tuned down stuff was just fine. I only really took notice on The Song Remains The same. And it was played good so..... Shit he sounded better than I though. Review in the Zep. O2 dvd section in house of music.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    My point is they are capable of doing so much more that they don't have to labor over. They can easily make more music that suits their age (talking the core 3 here), make TV appearances, web specials, etc. As musicians, the word "retire" should never enter their vocabulary. Tour less, hell, don't tour at all. As a band, the Beatles bagged touring in their mid to late 20's to pursue their art differently. One thing I hope Van Halen understands is that no one expects them to rock as hard as ADKOT on future projects. Both Ed and Dave have a taste for more laid back lounge and blues styles that they have rarely tapped together. I just want to see them create until the end. Their evolution is one for the ages. Switching up as time goes by rather than devolving into self parody like Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Poison and countless others is a route they can most definitely take and kick ass with.
    I expect them to rock hard man ! It's Dave & Ed ! Not Van Hagar. VH was a 80's party band to me. That made it big. If they want to do it forever more power to them. The Stones and some older bands are more blues based and can get away with it at 65 I.M.O. Just like what Zeppelin is about to release from 07. It didn't look wierd to see Jimmy with his gray hair playing Kashmir. I did laugh once watching him on Rock & Roll. Kind of funny at his age !
    Last edited by 78/84 guy; 10-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Horrible. Guess Ed knew it too. Although to be fair, I can stomach Malloy's voice better than Cherone's (although I like a kick in the nards better than Cherone's voice). Must have been a thousand different DLR clones from a thousand different VH cover bands that sounded better than Malloy, and Cherone, but there ain't no changing the past. Thank the Gods of Rock and Roll that Ed finally saw the light and gave us ADKOT before it was too late...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Recruit

Member No
    Last Online
    11-03-2018 @ 10:22 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hope folks click the link at the News Desk to get the full interview. Malloy himself tells Ed to bring back Dave and that Dave is the only guy for VH which pisses Ed off mightily. I agree with everyone that has panned the Panama demo but Malloy sounds like a good guy and had the balls to tell Ed the truth (which Ed did not want to hear)!

As for Dave's singing, he is iconic. No one can do Dave, except Dave. Same thing if someone covers a Steely Dan tune -- just try to sing a Donald Fagen song without sounding like Bill Murray doing the lounge singer on SNL, it just can't be done.

5. Thanked atlantakat for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (10-22-2012)

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atlantakat View Post
    Hope folks click the link at the News Desk to get the full interview. Malloy himself tells Ed to bring back Dave and that Dave is the only guy for VH which pisses Ed off mightily. I agree with everyone that has panned the Panama demo but Malloy sounds like a good guy and had the balls to tell Ed the truth (which Ed did not want to hear)!

As for Dave's singing, he is iconic. No one can do Dave, except Dave. Same thing if someone covers a Steely Dan tune -- just try to sing a Donald Fagen song without sounding like Bill Murray doing the lounge singer on SNL, it just can't be done.
    Glad I read it all. Good for him to tell Ed to get Dave back. Never heard of the guy before. Something tells me that fuckhead Daniels told Ed to forget Dave and hire Gary. And there went our 96 reunion tour. Even Sam hated the guy !

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool

Robert Palmer.

Liquor Taster
    Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    05-08-2018 @ 10:50 PM
    Status
    Thanks

How about unearthing a live tune like, "It's Your Thing," or, "Hollywood Swingin'," from the club days instead of this garbage? There is only one voice and one voice only for Van Halen, an' that iz D-Ro!

The git-tar and drums do sound like thunder and lightnin'!

Like van hagar and van more than words, the music is ruined, tainted, and denigrated by the imposter singing.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loons The Great View Post
    How about unearthing a live tune like, "It's Your Thing," or, "Hollywood Swingin'," from the club days instead of this garbage? There is only one voice and one voice only for Van Halen, an' that iz D-Ro!

The git-tar and drums do sound like thunder and lightnin'!

Better yet, simply re-post the following thread: Van Halen covers

Thread Information