Thread: Van Halen Performs "Panama" With Mitch Malloy

Pervert On A Park Bench
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Fuck, the Cherone tour ended up like that. I saw them at the Del Mar Fair..
    Me too....that was the first time I ever saw "van halen' live, having been raised on Roth era,
    it was an odd experience seeing that show...turtlenecks....
    but having done my late teens in the Hagar era, and knowing how little Roth material they did,
    it was cool hearing stuff like Romeo Delight, and Mikey singing on SGMAD, but it was...I don't know..

HUGE KUDOS to Gary for having the balls to take the job,
    but I'm glad things (eeeeventually) worked out the way they did.

Ed kicks ass that night, but still....ya know?

I saw DLR solo that same year, totally stole the show from Bad Co..I had a way better time than the Fair.

Professional Smartass
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    The VH III tour was absolutely painful....

Embarrassing is probably a better word....
    The only good thing about that tour was Eddie's playing.
    ROTH ARMY MILITIA

Originally posted by EAT MY ASSHOLE
    Sharky sometimes needs things spelled out for him in explicit, specific detail. I used to think it was a lawyer thing, but over time it became more and more evident that he's merely someone's idiot twin.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well to be honest, Mitch sounds too much like an 80s hair metal singer. It's techincally not bad, but its NOT Van Halen and I have a feeling that Mitch would have defiently not the CVH songs any justice.
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I can see why he eventually stopped getting calls from Ed.

Ugh.

I only listened to the first 30 seconds and I could not stand it any more. Sounded like one of the clones I used to see in bars back in the 80s....where guys would not only sing the songs, but would try to imitate Uncle Dave's mannerisms......and would look like robotic trained monkeys in leg warmers. They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but sometimes it crossed the line into idiotic stupidity in the guise of "bar band entertainment".

Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul. Just a lifeless carbon copy cardboard-cutout imitation of a DLR wannabe.

And I hated Ed's guitar tone on that thing. Talk about dull, lifeless, laboratory sterile.......it sounded like a wet piece of toilet paper compared to the molten atomic blast-furnace grind of the first 2 albums.....
    Last edited by Hardrock69; 10-11-2012 at 04:38 PM.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    You can't believe the dude when he says "I'll get her...ah!" - sounds like a hysterical 14-year-old girl...

Guy sounds gay. They should have left that clip in the drawer they found it in.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    Mitch had a good voice, but lacked 'balls'. No swagger. No soul.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. Like I said, the guy kinda sounds like the dude from Y&T. So I listened to 'em back to back and Mitch's voice sounds real similar to me except I was thinking it was missing the "bottom end".
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    No wonder Eddie was so deep in the bottle and sucking the glass dick a few years later. Can you imagine having to audition singers for Van Halen and knowing that no matter how good the guy is there's just no way to replace Dave? I can hear him now, "Well, he was pretty good, right? I mean, he's no Dave but he was ok, right?"
    I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".

Oh dear.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    I don't see him saying this, considering he's referred to Dave, Spambot, and Cherone as "the singer".
    Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Hey, don't try to interject reality into my fantasy
    Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.
    That's the fact Jack!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not that far-fetched, deep down Ed knows Dave is the shit. He may not have said it but surely the thought crossed his mind, surely there was an exchange of glances or two with Alex. Everyone else on the planet knows DLR is VH.
    Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    To say the least.

The Fat One is a prime example of someone who got lucky and made a pile of cash with minimal talent.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did I say "minimal"? I meant to say NO talent.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    Eddie NEVER hated Dave. He's been upset with him but he NEVER hated him. No matter what anyone says. Spam on the other hand absolutley despised Dave for no good reason, HE dragged the whole band into his "crusade" against DLR. The real reason why I hate Spamborita McHaggis is because he's a dick. He makes himself out to be Mr. Cool but it dosen't take a genius to figure out everything he says is pure, fucking insincere, Hollywood shite.
    Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Malloy sounds way to much like Spam to me...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Of course it crossed Eddies mind. 97% of interviews or fan interactions he had from 1985 until today someone always brings up Dave. If Eddie ever forgot it was quickly brought back into his mind.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Just remember...Patty Smyth and Jimmy Barnes were supposedly in the running at one point, too. And if you really want to huff on some spray paint cans, you could believe those David Coverdale rumors as well. Man, it's been a lean 26 years, ain't it?
    Jimmy Barnes would have been another bad fit for Van Halen. But as an Aussie who grew up listening to Cold Chisel on the radio every day I can at least say that Jimmy destroys Hagar as a lyricist and sings and performs live with a lot more attitude than Hagar ever did. He's also something else that Hagar never was... cool.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ALMOSTsaved View Post
    Looks like the dude at Melodicrock has posted this track on YouTube of Mitch Malloy performing "Panama" with Van Halen back in '96 before Cherone joined. It's the first time I've ever heard this guy's voice and to be fair, this is TRULY an abomination:
    The band sounded good but Malloy was boring. Another one-dimensional power vocalist with no idea how to sing with menace and attitude.
    Last edited by Halen High; 10-12-2012 at 12:22 AM.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Um, no dude, they HATED each other in the 80's...
    Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fraroc View Post
    Eddie was very pissed off at Dave in the 80s, I'm not going to deny that at all. But I do feel that It's wrong to say that they outright hated each other. If it was true hatred, they NEVER would have attempted to get back together.
    I think both were too drunk and high most the time to even know what was going on. It probably was more chemicals, liquids, and big egos than actual hate.

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that corabi crue album is one of my faves...heavy!!!

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bjaramil View Post
    that mitch malloy sounds bland...eddie woulda been better off with his original choice...Patty Smyth....hahahahahah
    Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Not really. The fact that Ed thought this could have been a good idea is a fucking joke ! Hagar was a ok choice at the time. I DID SAY AT THE TIME ! He did a few good songs with Ed. But his ego ruined the live shows by not doing Roth songs. The Patty Smyth VH would have went nowhere fast ! Ed would have really drank himself to death, and I wouldn't have seen the last two concerts with Dave. Ed screwed up bad in 96 ! The band has never really recovered in many ways. Their image anyways. They picked Gary over this guy because he was in a well known band. This guy sounds just like him.
    I agree about what you said Sam. His solo stuff is listenable but most of Van Hagar was complete sterotypical shite. (I love how brits say 'shit' btw) Summer Nights, Get up and Source of Infection would have actually been pretty good Dave songs if they were done with Dave in the band. Ironically, Sammy hates the song Source of Infection. But of course, every single self-respecting CVH fan thinks that Love Walks In and When it's Love is complete stereotypical 80s bullshit. The lyrics to Love Walks In don't even make any sense and sure as hell don't remind me of "love" When it's Love is 100000000% uninspired, cliche "I Love You" shit.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bjaramil View Post
    this whole reunion is not very invigorating. it seems as though everything is controlled. from where dave stands, to how close he can get to them...leaves a bad taste...i'd much rather see DLR Band or the Yankee Rose Band back on it!
    They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They act as if it's not a big deal. So strange. they work as little as possible. Only half a tour, zero promotion, cheap videos, etc. I don't get it. Like they are content with making whatever money and have no desire or drive to double or triple it by busting ass and doing interviews & promos everywhere.
    I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
    These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
    Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
    Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So Van Halen will never again dominate like it's the early 80's....

What I wanna know is.... where's the NEW Van Halen? Where's the new Dave?

I feel like a sad old fucker when I say Van Halen is still the greatest band I have seen or heard. But it's true... still!

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Or you can look at it from another perspective. VH gets to give what the fans want and have deserved for so long and can throw a flying finger to everyone else that doesn't appreciate them. I'm more than content with what they did give this year, but I hope they give their all these coming years too. We're very fortunate to get what we did. They put the luster back into the VH logo, and have many new avenues open to them.

I just hope we get more.
    I brought my pencil!!!

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hate to say this..... but thank god they hired Gary!

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I feel your pain, it'll never be the same.
    These guys are probably burnt by the whole experience. They've been musicians since the day dot, 40-odd years, let's say 30 years of big fame. They've had to deal with literally hundreds of sharks trying to get a slice of their pie, so the more expansive they make this album and tour, the more those 33%ers make. Not to mention the many many hangers-on, people who wanna give the band advice and can see a grander vision. You've gotta be pretty sick of that by 2012.
    Shit, even at my age, I'm getting pretty sick and tired of dealing with people on a day-to-day basis. They're fools.
    Can't blame the boys for making a quick buck, serving up a great album and (from what I've heard) a decent show, keeping it pretty simple and then making scram back to the wilderness. Not that it's what I want, but I don't have a say in this.

Besides... maybe Dave and the boys... things are frosty, ya know? Maybe that's all they can stand of each other.
    I think Dave understands the sensitivities involved but I also believe they've all reached an understanding. Those videos of Eddie, Alex and Dave were brilliant to watch. They were very honest and natural in the way they talked about their history and it showed they are at peace with each other. Actually, I think we've been pretty spoiled with everything we've got this year. ADKOT is so good that it sits comfortably with the six pack, a shortened but highly successful tour, all the videos including the unforgettable Cafe Wha? stuff...
    Last edited by Halen High; 10-15-2012 at 06:21 AM.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

THE SHOWSTOPPA
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Good lord.

Roth's songs are just not designed for any other singer other than himself.
    =V V=
    ole No.1 The finest
    EAT US AND SMILE

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Maybe you should take a look from another angle. Rather than thinking they work as little as possible... it could very well be that they worked as much as they were capable. Granted when you quantify that as productive output it's pretty damn pathetic by most "regular" people's standards.

But allowing that the 2nd leg cancellation, followed by the Japanese cancellation really was that "they bit off more than they could chew"... align that with Roth's inconsistent performances and the "A/C issues" then shortly after they bailed... Ed ends up in ICU with blown ass gaskets... Seems to me the Mighty Van Halen's high mileage rig has only got enough drive for tootling around locally in the country side with the dogs in back seat these days... with frequent potty stops. Unfortunately I think this is as good as gets...
    That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That does make a lot of sense. but the way I felt when I bought that new album, heard those new tunes, saw the live clips from Madison Square garden.....I can't believe the whole nation isn't watching & feeling the same like we all did back in 1984 with this band.
    I agree with both you and Zah on this one. So much more could have been done, though, that doesn't involve roaming the globe. I know videos aren't really the shit anymore, but VH could have sparked more interest in the genre with kick ass creative ones. The "She's The Woman" video was a let down. Did they even bother to make one for "Stay Frosty"? That was a third single, no? Who even knew besides the handful of stations left? The promotion certainly has been weak. They also could bombard us with more music in the down time. They wouldn't have to lift a finger if they already recorded 30 or 40 tunes. Do we even know the particulars of the Interscope deal? Is it open ended as to allow VH to do whatever and whenever or is there a time table to an ADKOT follow up? I understand that they aren't quite the juggernaut that they once were, but they sure as hell have a lot of life and potential left.

Better use it up before it gets old.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. I thought the show I saw was fantastic. At least from the 20th row. I heard some people complan about Dave but what the fuck do they want ? He is pushing 60. I hope they release a live cd or dvd from this last outing and do one more strong album and tour. Then they can retire for all I care. Do a few shows here and there. Like Zeppelin has. Maybe a EP or something like that. I don't think VH in their mid 60s is a good idea. Would be cool to see Wolf put together a cool band.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. .

I don't want them to. but I would like to see them be more like Aerosmith & The Rolling Stones. Be out there telling people whats up rather than sneaking an album out when hardly anyone is looking.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like Zeppelin has.
    There's one more thing that Zeppelin did, and that's play some of their songs in a lower key so Plant could hit the notes....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnie Velvet View Post
    Good lord.

Roth's songs are just not designed for any other singer other than himself.
    Excellent point. Dave's unique timing signatures, melodic approach and even song structures are some of the most unique in rock history.

Add Ed's highly underrated, unconventional approach to rock rhythm guitar and attached at the hip with Al's timing signatures... During CVH... Mike's ability to find the perfectly aligned space within in Al's percussion work... then warp forward to the "Wolfgang Effect" on stretching the bass compositions to a whole new realm. It's all an amazing musical pallet.

What's always intrigued me as a musician is CVH compositions have a sort of 4/4, intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bridge, verse, chorus... standard rock structure in there... but then they shuffle things up, punch in odd timings and pepper in very creative fills at just the right places to make it very complex, yet simple, yet different... hard to describe without going too technical but it's what sets them apart from all the rest.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What the hell. They are getting old man. You can't ask for them to act like they are 30 again. I thought the show I saw was fantastic. At least from the 20th row. I heard some people complan about Dave but what the fuck do they want ? He is pushing 60. I hope they release a live cd or dvd from this last outing and do one more strong album and tour. Then they can retire for all I care. Do a few shows here and there. Like Zeppelin has. Maybe a EP or something like that. I don't think VH in their mid 60s is a good idea. Would be cool to see Wolf put together a cool band.
    My point is they are capable of doing so much more that they don't have to labor over. They can easily make more music that suits their age (talking the core 3 here), make TV appearances, web specials, etc. As musicians, the word "retire" should never enter their vocabulary. Tour less, hell, don't tour at all. As a band, the Beatles bagged touring in their mid to late 20's to pursue their art differently. One thing I hope Van Halen understands is that no one expects them to rock as hard as ADKOT on future projects. Both Ed and Dave have a taste for more laid back lounge and blues styles that they have rarely tapped together. I just want to see them create until the end. Their evolution is one for the ages. Switching up as time goes by rather than devolving into self parody like Kiss, Mötley Crüe, Poison and countless others is a route they can most definitely take and kick ass with.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 10-18-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Thread Information