Thread: The 1996 Van Halen Reunion youtube thread

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The 1996 Van Halen Reunion youtube thread

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jnLALEogwI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jnLALEogwI?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    <object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImKzfUcQ_vo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ImKzfUcQ_vo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'll throw this up in here.....since I am the only person on Earth with a full copy Originally recorded on VHS so it looks a bit crummy.

“Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The stand "o" never gets old!

<object width="960" height="720"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmy5RG3wXt4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jmy5RG3wXt4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="960" height="720" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Can anyone find the Eddie Van Halen "Dave better be wearin a cup" youtube?

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Can anyone find the Eddie Van Halen "Dave better be wearin a cup" youtube?
    Here you go. Toward the end.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This thread is like torture. I hate reliving 1996 - but I can't seem to look away...

Ed and Al's body language in the standing O segment speaks volumes. Thank God we finally got ADKOT - seems miraculous after all that Mtv shit. And for the record...

"Eddie did it."
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here ya go WARFy....

Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Pardon the watermark.... Fuckers.....

Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 11-05-2012 at 09:24 PM.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thanks VA !!

I remember these videos vividly...

I wanted to kill Eddie Van Halen back in these days....

The army was ruthless because of these events we we first opened...
    Last edited by Va Beach VH Fan; 11-05-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Thanks VA !!

I remember these videos vividly...

I wanted to kill Eddie Van Halen back in these days....

The army was ruthless because of these events we we first opened...
    And rightfully so. God, what a clusterfuck this was. According to Cherone, he'd already been hired by this time, so WTF were the brothers thinking trotting Dave out there? They didn't think there'd be any blowback from letting people believe Dave was back, then announcing that Cherone would be the singer? It was also shitty to put Cherone in this situation as well. It would've been difficult enough to pull off with him anyway and this was before screwing everybody with this Dave thing. Good work boys!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Me & a couple friends were talking renting a motorhome and follow them around on tour, at least the western US. CA, AZ, NV, WA, OR, CO. We were hoping to see 8-12 shows. We were dreaming big. We were elated. Ecstatic. On cloud 9. We were blinded with happiness.

The local San Diego rock station had a call in promotion. Any time you heard a Van Halen song be the 10th caller. You would get a free cd of one of the 6-pack and be entered into the grand prize drawing. Grand Prize was going to be 4 tickets & a limo ride to the VH show when/if they played San Diego. Yes I got in after several days of frantic calling. Drove to the station and chose VHI as my free cd as my copy had been scratched by being dropped between the car seat/center console......again.

Then came Daves open letter.....

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    And rightfully so. God, what a clusterfuck this was. According to Cherone, he'd already been hired by this time, so WTF were the brothers thinking trotting Dave out there? They didn't think there'd be any blowback from letting people believe Dave was back, then announcing that Cherone would be the singer? It was also shitty to put Cherone in this situation as well. It would've been difficult enough to pull off with him anyway and this was before screwing everybody with this Dave thing. Good work boys!

Eddie believed it was all about him. He felt like he could trot out there as VH with any singer and the public would go wild for Eddie....hooray! Yes Eddie! We love you!

He greatly underestimated Daves importance and the love of the fans.

And why wouldn't Eddie believe that? He sold a ton with Dave. He sold a ton with Sammy. The band is his name. He is on the cover of every guitar magazine. At the top of every poll. A household name. He was in a whirlwind of fame & glory and it took playing county fairs with Cherone to realize the importance of choosing the right singer. it took a miserably failed tour with Sammy to realize it wasn't gonna be Hagar.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I cannot seem to find the backstage press conferences where Ed says "blah blah no tour, not a nostalgia trip, blagh blah my hip..." and Dave says in his book they asked about Cherone THEN & THERE and Ray Daniels ducked out the back to hide from it as the press yelled "BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT!"

Anyone got that?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Eddie believed it was all about him. He felt like he could trot out there as VH with any singer and the public would go wild for Eddie....hooray! Yes Eddie! We love you!
    Well, that level of hubris was rewarded with what it deserved, crashing and burning, so sometimes that karma thing does work out. There may have been a bit of a cut-off-your-nose-to-spite-your-face aspect to it, but I certainly would've respected Dave if he'd told Ed to stick it back in '06. I'm glad he didn't, but I would've understood if he had. The odds of this were probably close to nil since Dave's wanted back in Van Halen since what, at least the early 90s?

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yount View Post
    I cannot seem to find the backstage press conferences where Ed says "blah blah no tour, not a nostalgia trip, blagh blah my hip..." and Dave says in his book they asked about Cherone THEN & THERE and Ray Daniels ducked out the back to hide from it as the press yelled "BULLSHIT, BULLSHIT!"

Anyone got that?
    Was Loder's interview before this? Because they certainly didn't say anything in the Loder interview that would lead anybody to believe that Dave wasn't in the band at that point.

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjitsu View Post
    Was Loder's interview before this? Because they certainly didn't say anything in the Loder interview that would lead anybody to believe that Dave wasn't in the band at that point.
    Yeah but you look at the body language of Ed "in the spotlight no more" Van Halen, and Mike Anthony. Particularly when Dave says "the fussing and feuding, it rings off of your ears after a while" They look very uncomfortable as they try to pump up the two songs and "magic" and I reckon Dave played it very, very well. He knew exactly what he was doing, and his words were genuine. But you can just tell they hate each other... and then when I read his book about being banished to a concrete bunker to record his vocs... well it all made sense.
    The brothers thought they could pull off a "hired gun" stunt with the public, but good ol' Dave just waltzed in like he owned the joint again, and of course the whole entire world just ate it up!! Ha ha backfired!!!

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is a sick and fucked up period in =VH= history, I'm glad to see it behind us.
    And as WARF said, the Army came to life in the aftermath of this era and we were fuckin brutal in our stance on the brothers (and rightfully so)..
    We knew all along what was right for this band. Too bad it took for them to run the band into the ground for them to realize too...

Kudos to Wolf for being the catalyst in the reunion..
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    And as WARF said, the Army came to life in the aftermath of this era and we were fuckin brutal in our stance on the brothers (and rightfully so)..
    Well '96 and onwards I was just getting into Van Halen. Of course I was into Sammy a little, even Gary because I was a punk kid with no access to anything but generic media spin.
    I hope some of you realize the absolute power that this site (or slawterhouse, whatever it was) had on a young whipper-snapper like me back then.

Do you remember Eddie Van Halen and Wings? My filthy little web page? Pages and pages of absolute gold. Quite confronting to read that your guitar hero is a greedy lying egomaniac.

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondjimi View Post
    This is a sick and fucked up period in =VH= history, I'm glad to see it behind us.
    We knew all along what was right for this band. Too bad it took for them to run the band into the ground for them to realize too...

Kudos to Wolf for being the catalyst in the reunion..
    Wolfgang Van Halen saved the band, period end of story. One day before they even thought about recording a new album and going on tour, he probably told his dad, uncle Dave and uncle Alex "Look, you guys are in your mid-to-late 50s, it's either now or never!"
    How do you spell pretentious? S-A-M-M-Y H-A-G-A-R

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post

He greatly underestimated Daves importance and the love of the fans.

And why wouldn't Eddie believe that? He sold a ton with Dave. He sold a ton with Sammy. The band is his name. He is on the cover of every guitar magazine. At the top of every poll. A household name. He was in a whirlwind of fame & glory and it took playing county fairs with Cherone to realize the importance of choosing the right singer. it took a miserably failed tour with Sammy to realize it wasn't gonna be Hagar.
    Well, the failed tour in a sense was Eddie's fault because he basically dove into the bottle of liquor and never came out. His playing was sloppy, his solos were half-assed and he physically looked frail and sickly. It would have been less of a failure if Ed was sober, but he wasn't. The Rotharmy would have still complained that it wasn't Dave on that stage.

Thread Information