Member No
    Last Online
    02-09-2013 @ 06:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Wal-Mart workers plan Black Friday walkout

Wal-Mart workers plan Black Friday walkout

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -
    A group of Wal-Mart workers are planning to stage a walkout next week on Black Friday, arguably the biggest holiday shopping day for the world's largest retail store.

The walkout builds on an October strike that started at a Wal-Mart in Los Angeles and spread to stores in 12 other cities. More than 100 workers joined in the October actions.

One of the workers who plans to join next week's walkout is William Fletcher, who works at a Wal-Mart in Duarte, Calif.

Fletcher, who also participated in the October strikes, claims Wal-Mart cut his hours after he asked to move from the receiving department to another division because of a knee injury. He has since switched departments.

"I kept asking myself, 'when is the retaliation for speaking our mind and acting on our rights going to stop?' " he said. Wal-Mart did not have an immediate comment in response to Fletcher's claim.

The union-backed groups OUR Walmart and Making Change at Wal-Mart, and a watchdog group Corporate Action Network, are calling on the nation's largest employer to end what they call retaliation against employees who speak out for better pay, fair schedules and affordable health care.

On Black Friday, the organizations expect 1,000 protests, both at stores and online.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman said the number of workers who are raising concerns is very small and don't represent the views of the vast majority of its workforce of 1.3 million.

But labor experts say that even a small number of workers could make an impact.

"Even if there aren't that many people, it could have an effect, because their campaign in front of stores could discourage shoppers," said Ken Margolies, senior associate at the Worker Institute a Cornell University.

The strike could have an even greater impact if workers from its supply centers participate, according to Margolies. He said it could impede distribution of merchandise on what is usually the busiest day of the year.

Organizers have planned a social medial blitz, mobilizing workers through Facebook pages, a YouTube video, Twitter and Tumblr. They're also using online platforms to collect donations to sponsor striking workers. So far, the campaign has raised more than $22,200.

Wal-Mart workers have been battling with management over pay, benefits and their ability to speak up for years, experts say.

According to Anthony Bianco, author of Wal-Mart: The Bully of Bentonville, butchers at a Wal-Mart supercenter in Jacksonville, Texas, voted to form a union in 2000 -- the first time employees had done so. But soon after that, Wal-Mart eliminated butcher departments in its stores across the country, he said. It has been reported that Wal-Mart said it got rid of its meat department as a cost cutting measure.

A similar thing happened when workers at a Quebec store attempted to unionize in 2005, Bianco said. Wal-Mart closed that store a few months after that. The company said at the time that its decision was prompted by the union wanting to change how the store operated.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/mon...w/-/index.html
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They certainly have the right to strike if they wish, though I wouldn't think that is too smart of an idea, not in this economy.

It takes what, a day or two to train the average Walmart worker?

I can see a whole bunch of people getting fired and others getting hired.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,750 Times in 2,061 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBadBrian View Post
    They certainly have the right to strike if they wish, though I wouldn't think that is too smart of an idea, not in this economy.

It takes what, a day or two to train the average Walmart worker?

I can see a whole bunch of people getting fired and others getting hired.
    Right you are again, asshole. Tell me, how long does it take for the average Wal-Mart worker to form a labor union? Or how about a decent wage with health care benefits?
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    Time isn't a factor in unionizing Wal-Mart employees... they have to organize and gain enough support within to qualify for a vote.

I don't get the issue with a decent wage and benefit argument. It's a retail sales outlet... do people who work at K-Mart, Target, Dollar General, Macy's, etc... make significantly more money or get benefits? No.

Most of the jobs at these places are low skill, non-technical, minimum wage or slightly above across the whole market. The only difference with Wal-Mart is they have more stores and thus more employees. Should shelf stockers, cart wranglers, and cash register operators be compensated $40-50k in salary plus benefits? These are at best a $15-20K a year profession. Better suited to high school/college kids or the non-skilled labor force.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    And why is this thread here again ??

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Try to think and operate as a member rather than a Mod... it will help improve the experience...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The Experience are dead...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    Time isn't a factor in unionizing Wal-Mart employees... they have to organize and gain enough support within to qualify for a vote.

I don't get the issue with a decent wage and benefit argument. It's a retail sales outlet... do people who work at K-Mart, Target, Dollar General, Macy's, etc... make significantly more money or get benefits? No.

Most of the jobs at these places are low skill, non-technical, minimum wage or slightly above across the whole market. The only difference with Wal-Mart is they have more stores and thus more employees. Should shelf stockers, cart wranglers, and cash register operators be compensated $40-50k in salary plus benefits? These are at best a $15-20K a year profession. Better suited to high school/college kids or the non-skilled labor force.
    And what world do you live in again?

9. Thanked Kristy for this KICKASS post:

fifth element (11-28-2012)

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristy View Post
    And what world do you live in again?
    I live in a world where non-educated, unskilled workers stock shelves in Wal-Marts and make about around $8-10 an hour. Then if you move into skilled positions such as IT, logisitcs, procurement, transportation and facilities jobs... Wal-Mart pays competitively within US corporate ranges with benefits.

What's life like on your planet?

11. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

BigBadBrian (11-17-2012)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 3,450 Posts

Some of the original "unskilled" Wal-Mart workers such as cashiers in the South are multimillionaires due to stock options they were given as part of their job benefits. This of course was stopped by Sam Walton's greedy cunt children...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Some of the original "unskilled" Wal-Mart workers such as cashiers in the South are multimillionaires due to stock options they were given as part of their job benefits. This of course was stopped by Sam Walton's greedy cunt children...
    Everyone is greedy to an extent, Nick. It's human nature. Put some low-life homeless ghetto dude in a multi-millionaire position and after awhile he won't know where he came from or who he knew.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Everyone is greedy to an extent, Nick. It's human nature. Put some low-life homeless ghetto dude in a multi-millionaire position and after awhile he won't know where he came from or who he knew.
    Greedy like children who would eat themselves to death if no one was around to monitor them. One has to wonder how much money these trust-fund kiddies need? And how their greedy business model of pinching companies to get the lowest price, then not paying their workforce real wages, is sustainable. Wal-Mart lives off the middles classes, then destroys the middle classes with their wage suppressing business model...

15. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Matt White (11-18-2012)

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wal-Mart lives off the middles classes, then destroys the middle classes with their wage suppressing business model...
    You can't blame Wal-Mart. We, the consumers, let it happen. People don't know how to shop or know a better deal when they see one. For example, Wal-Mart carries very shitty kitchen supplies: pots, pans, etc. Just down the street is Bed, Bath, and Beyond who sells the good stuff: All-Clad, Calphalon, Kitchen-Aid, Cuisinart, etc. for 4 to 5 times as much...yet that good stuff will last 20 times longer, if not a lifetime. Yet people go into Wal-Mart and buy a shitty new 12" skillet every YEAR when they could have bought one that lasted a lifetime. Go figure.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You can't blame Wal-Mart. We, the consumers, let it happen. People don't know how to shop or know a better deal when they see one. For example, Wal-Mart carries very shitty kitchen supplies: pots, pans, etc. Just down the street is Bed, Bath, and Beyond who sells the good stuff: All-Clad, Calphalon, Kitchen-Aid, Cuisinart, etc. for 4 to 5 times as much...yet that good stuff will last 20 times longer, if not a lifetime. Yet people go into Wal-Mart and buy a shitty new 12" skillet every YEAR when they could have bought one that lasted a lifetime. Go figure.
    We can blame the ignorant unwashed masses, the same ones that vote for Republican candidates against their own interests...

I occasionally go to Wal-Mart for automotive stuff, but even that's wearing thin. Give me Target any day over the drooling mob of douche-stains crowding the isles at Wal-Mart. And I have one of the largest, most state-of-the-art new Wal-Marts near me and it's still horrible and filled with mostly crap...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Just down the street is Bed, Bath, and Beyond who sells the good stuff.
    LMAO !!

I gotta laugh at that again...

LMAO !!

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

We can blame the ignorant unwashed masses, the same ones that vote for Republican candidates against their own interests...

I occasionally go to Wal-Mart for automotive stuff, but even that's wearing thin. Give me Target any day over the drooling mob of douche-stains crowding the isles at Wal-Mart. And I have one of the largest, most state-of-the-art new Wal-Marts near me and it's still horrible and filled with mostly crap...
    One of the Wal-mart's near me is really nice...clean, spacious, and the groceries are the lowest price in town. The other one near me....yuck!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wal-Mart had a store near the local mall that was horrid and way too gross (and small) to put food stuffs in. So they closed that one down and built a new one both massive and state of the art. But each one seems to have the isles stuffed with shit and subtle psychological ques that turns even the nicest person into a complete asshole. Their market is okay, but I'll pay a little more to go to a Wegmans, which seem to be the best supermarkets on earth. They're well run, have a union, and are routinely voted one of the best places to work even by part time/short term menial laborers and everything is upscale. I'll pay a couple bucks more for that! For cheapie groceries, or to get national brands like Nathan's Hotdogs not available in local supermarkets I'll hit the Target...

They have Wegmans in some parts of Virginia BTW, once you go Wegmans you'll never go back...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ingles in Nortn Carolina is a really good Supermarket chain...

Tattoo Tattoo
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    02-18-2015 @ 05:43 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,001 Times in 676 Posts

Go Wegmans! One in Boston now. They make me homesick.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I live in a world where non-educated, unskilled workers stock shelves in Wal-Marts and make about around $8-10 an hour. Then if you move into skilled positions such as IT, logisitcs, procurement, transportation and facilities jobs... Wal-Mart pays competitively within US corporate ranges with benefits.

What's life like on your planet?
    A world where EVERY person who happens to have the misfortune of working at Wal-Mart is NOT an "uneducated, unskilled so-and-so..." I'm sure you'll probably find a person or two there with a Master's in something or in grad school selling you all sorts of Chinese made junk for your humble abode.

By the way, there are no blankets that cover everything on my planet.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,991 Times in 3,230 Posts

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensible Shoes View Post
    Go Wegmans! One in Boston now. They make me homesick.
    I used to buy my groceries there when I lived in upstate New York. They seemed like well managed stores.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    A world where EVERY person who happens to have the misfortune of working at Wal-Mart is NOT an "uneducated, unskilled so-and-so..." I'm sure you'll probably find a person or two there with a Master's in something or in grad school selling you all sorts of Chinese made junk for your humble abode.

By the way, there are no blankets that cover everything on my planet.
    You make it sound like the people who willingly walked into their local Wal-Mart, applied for a job and were hired... were somehow forced or duped into some sort of abuse induced employment nightmare.

I'm sure there are well educated, skilled people who chose to seek and accept employment at Wal-Mart for whatever reason or necessity. But that doesn't change the fact that the actual job is on the lower end of the salary and required skill scale in comparison to the over-all job market in the US.

What products and where they are manufactured that Wal-Mart chooses to sell has no stake in this discussion. People take a job there for a paycheck. If they don't know that they have accepted employment at the world's largest retailer focused on low cost and large market share... then who's fault is that. They aren't going to work at google or facebook with big salaries and top tier benefits... they are going to work at the equivalent of any grocery, convenience and/or retail store in business. Hours, salaries and working conditions are all in the same range...

As I stated previously... I don't get what the issues are other than labor unions wanting a huge piece of the Wal-Mart pie. That won't help the employees nor the consumers who shop there.

26. Thanked ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

BigBadBrian (11-22-2012)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You make it sound like the people who willingly walked into their local Wal-Mart, applied for a job and were hired... were somehow forced or duped into some sort of abuse induced employment nightmare.

I'm sure there are well educated, skilled people who chose to seek and accept employment at Wal-Mart for whatever reason or necessity. But that doesn't change the fact that the actual job is on the lower end of the salary and required skill scale in comparison to the over-all job market in the US.

What products and where they are manufactured that Wal-Mart chooses to sell has no stake in this discussion. People take a job there for a paycheck. If they don't know that they have accepted employment at the world's largest retailer focused on low cost and large market share... then who's fault is that. They aren't going to work at google or facebook with big salaries and top tier benefits... they are going to work at the equivalent of any grocery, convenience and/or retail store in business. Hours, salaries and working conditions are all in the same range...

As I stated previously... I don't get what the issues are other than labor unions wanting a huge piece of the Wal-Mart pie. That won't help the employees nor the consumers who shop there.
    There's a lot of college kids that work there. They usually don't last though...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I'm going to go all BigBadTurd here and copy and paste a short segment:

"One way the company is said to target workers is with wage caps. According a new company policy, workers reaching their position's maximum wage will not receive annual wage increases - and thus have their real earnings eaten by inflation - unless they are promoted to new positions. Although executives maintain that this policy is designed to encourage workers to take on more responsibilities, many workers assert that it's simply designed to irk long-term employees and encourage them to quit. Given that workers can remain toiling in the same low wage positions if better positions do not open up, it would seem the latter is closer to the truth.

Another new Wal-Mart policy, which many employees also believe is designed to harass full-time and experienced workers, allows managers to demand increased employee availability. Under the new policy, employees must accept the possibility of working any and all shifts or, according to some Wal-Mart workers, face drastic cuts in their work hours. Sally Wright, once a greeter in an Oklahoma store, saw her hours cut from 32 to eight per week when she refused to change her availability. Her story has been repeated almost exactly by employees from Washington, West Virginia and countless other parts of the country."

Link here:
    http://www.dailycampus.com/2.7438/em...0#.UKuodWfhe7w

You make it sound as if EVERY position at Wal-Mart is nothing more than a low-end, low-wage one. I knew a girl in college who ended up getting a business degree doing accounting/payroll work for them at their headquarters in Benton. They treated her like absolute shit, too. Crazy hours, not much in way of health care benefits or advancement. And again, you're blanketing the job market itself. Workers at Target, Kohl's etc all are not treated this way simply based upon job skill(s).

Yes it does. And people don't take the job simply for a paycheck but to survive. We all have to eat, right? Many of the people Wal-Fart hires are not the uneducated or the poor but senior citizens on a fix ed income who tolerate the abuse Wal-Mart dishes out for their rent and heat. And you're wrong about the equality in pay. They are not in the same range. Speaking of Google, look up what a worker makes at a Korger grocery store after two years of work (including benefits) and what Wal-Mart delivers - I think all Wal-Mart gives is no charge on the uniform.

So whats wrong with that? The consumers who are that stupid and gullible to shop at Wal-Mart don't care about labor unionizing. Isn't free enterprise what American was once all about?

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,281 Times in 4,711 Posts

Don't go to WalFart.... don't go anywhere at all on Friday. Just stay home and eat a leftover turkey sandwich...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

"One way the company is said to target workers is with wage caps. According a new company policy, workers reaching their position's maximum wage will not receive annual wage increases - and thus have their real earnings eaten by inflation - unless they are promoted to new positions.
    Sounds reasonable. How much can you pay a stock-boy anyway?

Another new Wal-Mart policy, which many employees also believe is designed to harass full-time and experienced workers, allows managers to demand increased employee availability. Under the new policy, employees must accept the possibility of working any and all shifts or, according to some Wal-Mart workers, face drastic cuts in their work hours. Sally Wright, once a greeter in an Oklahoma store, saw her hours cut from 32 to eight per week when she refused to change her availability.
    Sounds reasonable. Requesting hours when there is low demand for employees or when they are not needed as much has consequences. If you don't want to work on Saturday or Sunday, someone else will.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Sounds reasonable. Requesting hours when there is low demand for employees or when they are not needed as much has consequences. If you don't want to work on Saturday or Sunday, someone else will.
    Have you ever shopped at a Wal-Mart where they have like two out of twenty-five registers open and there are long lines? It's pretty fucking frustrating. They most certainly aim for the low side of staffing...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sounds reasonable. How much can you pay a stock-boy anyway?
    Apparently not enough, you asshole. Did you know that about 80% of all Wal-Mart employees are on food stamps! On no, right! Until you realize it's Wal-Mart's upper management who provided them the forms to fill out in order to receive them.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I don't know where you base your opinion, Kristy... clearly it's not business related as you don't seem to understand the simple dynamics of Wal-Mart's labor force and the competitive retail industry in general.

I'm sure there are many instances of crappy management activities that go on in Wal-Marts across the country. It may seem huge but you have to contrast that with their relative size compared with other employers. Of course... you don't hear of any of the good things that go on because they don't make dramatic headlines and feed bullshit gossip circles.

There's also multiple facets of Wal-Mart... such as local stores that serve small towns and rural areas where it's the only major big box store in a 40 miles radius. Like where I live... many of the people that work there are my neighbors or people I've known. If there were rampant labor abuses you'd clearly hear about them in small close-knit communities. But just the opposite is what's really going on.

I've also managed people on temporary IT assignments in Bentonville... So I've heard directly how business is carried out and dealt directly with Wal-Mart's corporate management. the culture is no better nor no worse than any other large corporate business. The focus is on cost, competitiveness and market share. Contrary to what is published in the media... their corporate culture is employee focused as much as it can be but in the end it's share-holder value that drives management... as is the case in all large corporations.

It's not my intention to defend anything Wal-Mart does... but I do understand the challenges in managing a large workforce that does include a lot of lower paying positions. It's generally high turn-over. Employees want more money at every level. Few people want schedule changes but it's a dynamic business that requires constant adjustment to meet the market demands.

Frankly I've seen a continuing down-turn in productivity and willingness to work hard for advancement emerging the last decade. It seems employees expect rapid salary growth and advancement as if it's owed them and few are willing to work hard to achieve it. It's this damn entitled mindset that is permeating our culture that more at the core of this.

34. 2 users say thank you to ZahZoo for this KICKASS post:

BigBadBrian (11-25-2012),VAiN (11-25-2012)

Use my hand, I won't look
    ____Van Fuckin' Halen____
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    10-27-2020 @ 08:17 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,035 Posts

I don't know where you base your opinion, Kristy... clearly it's not business related as you don't seem to understand the simple dynamics of Wal-Mart's labor force and the competitive retail industry in general.

I'm sure there are many instances of crappy management activities that go on in Wal-Marts across the country. It may seem huge but you have to contrast that with their relative size compared with other employers. Of course... you don't hear of any of the good things that go on because they don't make dramatic headlines and feed bullshit gossip circles.

There's also multiple facets of Wal-Mart... such as local stores that serve small towns and rural areas where it's the only major big box store in a 40 miles radius. Like where I live... many of the people that work there are my neighbors or people I've known. If there were rampant labor abuses you'd clearly hear about them in small close-knit communities. But just the opposite is what's really going on.

I've also managed people on temporary IT assignments in Bentonville... So I've heard directly how business is carried out and dealt directly with Wal-Mart's corporate management. the culture is no better nor no worse than any other large corporate business. The focus is on cost, competitiveness and market share. Contrary to what is published in the media... their corporate culture is employee focused as much as it can be but in the end it's share-holder value that drives management... as is the case in all large corporations.

It's not my intention to defend anything Wal-Mart does... but I do understand the challenges in managing a large workforce that does include a lot of lower paying positions. It's generally high turn-over. Employees want more money at every level. Few people want schedule changes but it's a dynamic business that requires constant adjustment to meet the market demands.

Frankly I've seen a continuing down-turn in productivity and willingness to work hard for advancement emerging the last decade. It seems employees expect rapid salary growth and advancement as if it's owed them and few are willing to work hard to achieve it. It's this damn entitled mindset that is permeating our culture that more at the core of this.
    Excellent post, Zah. I'm sure it will be rebutted with the usual 'anyone who works harder and achieves more than me is evil' bullshit. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Such as? It's more than simple "crappy management" politics. Wal-Mart constantly pushes their bourgeois brand of feel good bullshit. Where have you been? Remember their reading program? I bet you do. Problem was Wal-Mart never gave a shit about literacy for this country as they did for their employees so they could under the basics of how to understand the basics of counting when it came to stocking. How about their "generous donations" to Catholic Charities food banks for no other purpose than a tax write off? Wal-Mart constantly bombards the consumer with their spoon fed lies of how great they are, how they save you money (while robbing their employees) and how wonderful it is to have a Wal-Mart in your area sucking dry the surrounding economical commerce. Come up with something better for an augment, okay?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Such as? It's more than simple "crappy management" politics. Wal-Mart constantly pushes their bourgeois brand of feel good bullshit. Where have you been? Remember their reading program? I bet you do. Problem was Wal-Mart never gave a shit about literacy for this country as they did for their employees so they could under the basics of how to understand the basics of counting when it came to stocking. How about their "generous donations" to Catholic Charities food banks for no other purpose than a tax write off? Wal-Mart constantly bombards the consumer with their spoon fed lies of how great they are, how they save you money (while robbing their employees) and how wonderful it is to have a Wal-Mart in your area sucking dry the surrounding economical commerce. Come up with something better for an augment, okay?
    so what, they still donated

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VAiN View Post
    Excellent post, Zah. I'm sure it will be rebutted with the usual 'anyone who works harder and achieves more than me is evil' bullshit. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
    Dumb, smug comments that have nothing to do with the topic, much? How about Wal-Mart flagrantly violates labor laws as part of it's corporate culture and has been sued for routinely FORCING workers to work off the clock to AVOID OVERTIME? Just one little example, actually.

It's not necessarily everywhere, nor in every state or store. But Wal-Mart does have a long track record of scofflaw-ism that they've only recently tried to at least mitigate with their feel good policies of low drug prices, etc...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Part of what you're completely ignoring is that Wal-Mart long ago began sitting down suppliers in boiler-maker, back room negotiations to gain the absolute bottom-line price stripping profit from everybody but them. It was then Wal-Mart executives that essentially told companies how to outsource to China in order to cut out wages in the U.S....

Watch the excellent PBS Frontline program on Wal-Mart which features one of their more successful store/regional managers that then turned against them and their practices...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-25-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    so what, they still donated
    Great counter-argument, hippy.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

Great counter-argument, hippy.
    thanks. your "it doesn't count cause they can write it off" was stellar too, angry person who missed the hippy train
    Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 11-25-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: boobs

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Sorry I don't recall any reading program... doubt it had anything to do with employees counting for stocking shelves. They've led the industry in automated sales and inventory tracking systems and RFID tracking so they didn't have to rely on manual methods.

Is your issue with a company using the US tax code legally or because it was a Catholic charity and played to some sort of conservative bullshit political contraceptive angle..?

What does that have to do with poor Joe Public getting paid $8.50 an hour to stock bananas in the produce section on 3rd shift?

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    03-04-2024 @ 05:42 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Part of what you're completely ignoring is that Wal-Mart long ago began sitting down suppliers in boiler-maker, back room negotiations to gain the absolute bottom-line price stripping profit from everybody but them. It was then Wal-Mart executives that essentially told companies how to outsource to China in order to cut out wages in the U.S....

Watch the excellent PBS Frontline program on Wal-Mart which features one of their more successful store/regional managers that then turned against them and their practices...
    Now I know why Mittens wanted to cut funding for PBS...

Kill A Commie For Mommy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    They've led the industry in automated sales and inventory tracking systems and RFID tracking so they didn't have to rely on manual methods.
    Did they now? Sure they didn't steal that from the major railroads' on how they track freight? By the way, much of that freight filled to the top with imported Chinese made shit headed for Wal-Mart.

Is your issue with a company using the US tax code legally or because it was a Catholic charity and played to some sort of conservative bullshit political contraceptive angle..?
    I could care less who Wal-Mart choose to give their tax write to. It's the guise in which Wal-Mart does it. Giving to a food bank for media purposes while placing their own employees on food stamps. Yeah, go figure.

What does that have to do with poor Joe Public getting paid $8.50 an hour to stock bananas in the produce section on 3rd shift?
    Because unlike your myopic view, Wal-Mart is not made up entirely of "Joe Public" Must be so easy for you to discount human beings as "Joe Publics" Mr. IT Guy.
    Last edited by Kristy; 11-25-2012 at 12:48 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Now I know why Mittens wanted to cut funding for PBS...
    Yep, one of the few independent organizations that still takes on corporations. Which is ironic, since corporations like Exxon-Mobil still donate heavily to PBS...

Thread Information