X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ZahZoo
    I don't know where you base your opinion, Kristy... clearly it's not business related as you don't seem to understand the simple dynamics of Wal-Mart's labor force and the competitive retail industry in general.

I'm sure there are many instances of crappy management activities that go on in Wal-Marts across the country. It may seem huge but you have to contrast that with their relative size compared with other employers. Of course... you don't hear of any of the good things that go on because they don't make dramatic headlines and feed bullshit gossip circles.
    Such as? It's more than simple "crappy management" politics. Wal-Mart constantly pushes their bourgeois brand of feel good bullshit. Where have you been? Remember their reading program? I bet you do. Problem was Wal-Mart never gave a shit about literacy for this country as they did for their employees so they could under the basics of how to understand the basics of counting when it came to stocking. How about their "generous donations" to Catholic Charities food banks for no other purpose than a tax write off? Wal-Mart constantly bombards the consumer with their spoon fed lies of how great they are, how they save you money (while robbing their employees) and how wonderful it is to have a Wal-Mart in your area sucking dry the surrounding economical commerce. Come up with something better for an augment, okay?

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kristy
      Such as? It's more than simple "crappy management" politics. Wal-Mart constantly pushes their bourgeois brand of feel good bullshit. Where have you been? Remember their reading program? I bet you do. Problem was Wal-Mart never gave a shit about literacy for this country as they did for their employees so they could under the basics of how to understand the basics of counting when it came to stocking. How about their "generous donations" to Catholic Charities food banks for no other purpose than a tax write off? Wal-Mart constantly bombards the consumer with their spoon fed lies of how great they are, how they save you money (while robbing their employees) and how wonderful it is to have a Wal-Mart in your area sucking dry the surrounding economical commerce. Come up with something better for an augment, okay?
      so what, they still donated
      Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by VAiN
        Excellent post, Zah. I'm sure it will be rebutted with the usual 'anyone who works harder and achieves more than me is evil' bullshit. Clearly you don't know what you're talking about.
        Dumb, smug comments that have nothing to do with the topic, much? How about Wal-Mart flagrantly violates labor laws as part of it's corporate culture and has been sued for routinely FORCING workers to work off the clock to AVOID OVERTIME? Just one little example, actually.

It's not necessarily everywhere, nor in every state or store. But Wal-Mart does have a long track record of scofflaw-ism that they've only recently tried to at least mitigate with their feel good policies of low drug prices, etc...

Comment

• Nickdfresh
          SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

I don't know where you base your opinion, Kristy... clearly it's not business related as you don't seem to understand the simple dynamics of Wal-Mart's labor force and the competitive retail industry in general.

Part of what you're completely ignoring is that Wal-Mart long ago began sitting down suppliers in boiler-maker, back room negotiations to gain the absolute bottom-line price stripping profit from everybody but them. It was then Wal-Mart executives that essentially told companies how to outsource to China in order to cut out wages in the U.S....

Watch the excellent PBS Frontline program on Wal-Mart which features one of their more successful store/regional managers that then turned against them and their practices...
          Last edited by Nickdfresh; 11-25-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by PETE'S BROTHER
            so what, they still donated
            Great counter-argument, hippy.

Comment

• PETE'S BROTHER
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2007

Great counter-argument, hippy.
              thanks. your "it doesn't count cause they can write it off" was stellar too, angry person who missed the hippy train
              Last edited by PETE'S BROTHER; 11-25-2012, 01:35 PM. Reason: boobs
              Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Comment

• ZahZoo
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Sorry I don't recall any reading program... doubt it had anything to do with employees counting for stocking shelves. They've led the industry in automated sales and inventory tracking systems and RFID tracking so they didn't have to rely on manual methods.

Is your issue with a company using the US tax code legally or because it was a Catholic charity and played to some sort of conservative bullshit political contraceptive angle..?

What does that have to do with poor Joe Public getting paid $8.50 an hour to stock bananas in the produce section on 3rd shift?
                "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Comment

• Romeo Delight
                  ROCKSTAR

• Feb 2005

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  Part of what you're completely ignoring is that Wal-Mart long ago began sitting down suppliers in boiler-maker, back room negotiations to gain the absolute bottom-line price stripping profit from everybody but them. It was then Wal-Mart executives that essentially told companies how to outsource to China in order to cut out wages in the U.S....

Watch the excellent PBS Frontline program on Wal-Mart which features one of their more successful store/regional managers that then turned against them and their practices...
                  Now I know why Mittens wanted to cut funding for PBS...
                  sigpicRoth Army Canada

Comment

• Kristy
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Aug 2004

They've led the industry in automated sales and inventory tracking systems and RFID tracking so they didn't have to rely on manual methods.
                    Did they now? Sure they didn't steal that from the major railroads' on how they track freight? By the way, much of that freight filled to the top with imported Chinese made shit headed for Wal-Mart.

Is your issue with a company using the US tax code legally or because it was a Catholic charity and played to some sort of conservative bullshit political contraceptive angle..?
                    I could care less who Wal-Mart choose to give their tax write to. It's the guise in which Wal-Mart does it. Giving to a food bank for media purposes while placing their own employees on food stamps. Yeah, go figure.

What does that have to do with poor Joe Public getting paid $8.50 an hour to stock bananas in the produce section on 3rd shift?
                    Because unlike your myopic view, Wal-Mart is not made up entirely of "Joe Public" Must be so easy for you to discount human beings as "Joe Publics" Mr. IT Guy.
                    Last edited by Kristy; 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by Romeo Delight
                      Now I know why Mittens wanted to cut funding for PBS...
                      Yep, one of the few independent organizations that still takes on corporations. Which is ironic, since corporations like Exxon-Mobil still donate heavily to PBS...

Comment

• ZahZoo
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

I'm not ignoring their predatory product sourcing methods. We were discussing labor issues.

Very much aware of their aggressive product sourcing practices. Clearly they've leveraged their size and volume to drive for competitive wholesale prices. I did mention previously that they were a customer of my employer. They're no wimps... But they are no different than any other big outfit.

As I mentioned, I hate the outsourcing to BRIC countries. But it's a reality that's not going away... although there are promising signs of the out-flow tide slowing significantly and in some cases shifting back to the US. We have to quit bitching about it and find ways to compete with the rest of the world.

Comment

• ZahZoo
                          ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Did they now? Sure they didn't steal that from the major railroads' on how they track freight? By the way, much of that freight filled to the top with imported Chinese made shit headed for Wal-Mart.

Because unlike your myopic view, Wal-Mart is not made up entirely of "Joe Public" Must be so easy for you to discount human beings as "Joe Publics" Mr. IT Guy.
                          Yes, LOL... I'm sure they didn't steal a damn thing from the railroads who are operating an infrastructure built on 17th & 18th century technology and are still struggling to adopt 20th century... let alone 21st century technology.

The primary reason for lower wages in a large majority of positions is due to the extensive use of inventory and Point of Sale (POS) technology. Their IT infrastructure is one of the most advanced in the industry... which means many of the positions held in the company require less "skills" for inventory and POS activity than competitors using more manual methods of inventory and POS controls.

With 2.2 million employees... plus all the automation. Most of those jobs paying an average of $8-10 per hour are basically "hands & eyes" positions. I'm not discounting any human element. I'm just continuing to point out the basic facts of these jobs in a rational business perspective.

I know Wal-Mart hasn't always been the perfect employer... nor are they today. I just don't think that a large majority of their employees are abused... nor are being significantly under-paid for the level of work they do.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

Have you ever shopped at a Wal-Mart where they have like two out of twenty-five registers open and there are long lines? It's pretty fucking frustrating. They most certainly aim for the low side of staffing...
                            In today's economy, most places do.
                            “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• envy_me
                              Swedish Love Pump
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                              They certainly have the right to strike if they wish, though I wouldn't think that is too smart of an idea, not in this economy.

It takes what, a day or two to train the average Walmart worker?

I can see a whole bunch of people getting fired and others getting hired.
                              You can't fire people for striking. It is their right. Didn't you know that?
                              The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                                • Jan 2004

Part of what you're completely ignoring is that Wal-Mart long ago began sitting down suppliers in boiler-maker, back room negotiations to gain the absolute bottom-line price stripping profit from everybody but them.
                                That's called revenue. You don't make money unless you sell something for more than you paid for it. You don't make money paying employees $5 an hour more than their labor is worth.
                                “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

Working...