• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBadBrian
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    • Jan 2004

Israel takes steps to call up 75,000 reserves

link
    JERUSALEM – Two rockets landed in open fields outside of Jerusalem after air raid sirens sounded in the city sending Israelis running for cover.

It is the first time the holy city has ever been targeted by rockets fired by Gaza militants. There does not appear to be any damage, or any reports of causalities.
    Israeli media say the rocket fell north of Jerusalem, as witnesses say they saw a stream of smoke in Mevasseret Zion, a suburb.

Israeli police spokeswoman Micky Rosenfeld said the rocket landed in an open area near Gush Ezion, a collection of Jewish settlements in the West Bank southeast of the city.

In Gaza, Hamas militants said they had attacked Jerusalem. The attack marks a major escalation, both for its symbolism and its distance from the Palestinian territory. Jerusalem had been thought to be beyond the range of Gaza rocket squads.

“We are sending a short and simple message: There is no security for any Zionist on any single inch of Palestine and we plan more surprises,” Abu Obeida, a spokesman for the Hamas militant wing said.
    Militants already have fired rockets into the southern outskirts of Tel Aviv on Thursday. The rocket attacks have not hurt anyone, but have caused panic.

Lt. Col. Avital Leibovich, a military spokeswoman, said the Israeli military had called 16,000 reservists to duty on Friday as it geared up for a possible ground offensive
    She said the army had authority to draft an additional 14,000 soldiers. She would not say where the troops were deployed.

Egypt's prime minister rushed to the aid of the Gaza Strip's Hamas rulers Friday in the midst of an Israeli offensive there, calling for an end to the operation, as Palestinian rocket squads aimed at Tel Aviv for a second straight day. The visit served as a boost of solidarity for the Hamas militants who have vowed to resist the Israeli offensive.

Hopes of even a brief cease-fire were dashed after both sides accused the other of violating a proposed cease-fire during a visit by the prime minister of Egypt to Gaza.
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had told Egypt that Israel was pre
    pared to suspend its military offensive in the Gaza Strip during Prime Minister Hisham Kandil's three-hour visit there Friday.
    However, Israel later said Hamas did not honor the deal, saying rockets fired from Gaza had hit several sites in southern Israel as Kandil was in the enclave.

Israel strongly denied it had carried out any attacks from the time Kandil entered Gaza, though Gaza militants claimed Israel had continued strikes during the visit.
    Along the border Friday, Israeli tanks, armored vehicles and military bulldozers were parked in neat rows. Leibovich said all options are open, “including a ground operation.”
    Netanyahu said the army was hitting Hamas hard with what he called surgical strikes, and warned of a "significant widening" of the Gaza operation. Israel will "continue to take whatever action is necessary to defend our people," said Netanyahu, who is up for re-election in January.
    "We will continue the attacks and we will increase the attacks, and I believe we will obtain our objectives," said Lt. Gen. Benny Gantz, Israel's military chief.

An Israeli ground offensive could be costly to both sides. In the last Gaza war, Israel devastated large areas of the territory, setting back Hamas' fighting capabilities but also paying the price of increasing diplomatic isolation because of a civilian death toll numbering in the hundreds.
    The current round of fighting is reminiscent of the first days of that three-week offensive against Hamas. Israel also caught Hamas off-guard then with a barrage of missile strikes and threatened to follow up with a ground offensive.

However, much has also changed since then.
    Israel has improved its missile defense systems, but is facing a more heavily armed Hamas. Israel estimates militants possess 12,000 rockets, including more sophisticated weapons from Iran and from Libyan stockpiles plundered after the fall of Muammar Qaddafi's regime there last year.
    Netanyahu, who has clashed even with his allies over the deadlock in Mideast peace efforts, appears to have less diplomatic leeway than his predecessor, Ehud Olmert, making a lengthy military offensive harder to sustain.

What's more, regional alignments have changed dramatically since the last Gaza war. Hamas has emerged from its political isolation as its parent movement, the region-wide Muslim Brotherhood, rose to power in several countries in the wake of last year's Arab uprisings, particularly in Egypt.
    Egypt recalled its ambassador to protest the Israeli offensive and has ordered his prime minister to lead a senior delegation to Gaza on Friday in a show of support for Hamas.

At the same time, while relations with Israel have cooled since the toppling of longtime Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak, Morsi has not brought a radical change in Egypt's policy toward Israel.
    He has promised to abide by Egypt's 1979 peace deal with Israel and his government has continued contacts with Israel through its non-Brotherhood members.

In all, 23 Palestinians have been killed, including 11 civilians, according to Gaza health officials, and 250 people wounded. Three Israelis were killed when a rocket hit an apartment building in southern Israel.
    The Associated Press and Reuters contributed to this report.

YAHOO

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Defence Minister Ehud Barak sought government approval on Friday to mobilize up to 75,000 reserve troops for Israel's Gaza campaign, political sources said, in a sign of preparations for a possible ground offensive.

The sources, speaking after Palestinian rockets were fired at Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, said ministers were being polled by telephone by the cabinet secretary to approve the call-up.
    (Reporting by Maayan Lubell; Writing by Jeffrey Heller, Editing by Crispian Balmer)
    “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Dammit Obama, why aren't you doing more !!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Satan
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

If Benny NuttyYahoo were any other Middle Eastern dictator, all the Repukes would be demanding a "regime change".

What the fuck is the difference between this asshole and Saddam Hussein?
      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nitro Express
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Aug 2004

Henry KISSINGER. Former secretary of state. Current savant of the state of the world. Do not argue with Mr. Kissinger’s know-how. He already knows how.

Middle East horror. Democratic party dissing Jerusalem. DC’s anti-Israel mentality. Obama, busy raising re-election funds, no time for beleaguered Netanyahu. The Oval Office attitude versus the Red Line. Iran’s oath to destroy our only friend in that part of the world.

Reported to me, Henry Kissinger has stated — and I quote the statement word for word: “In 10 years, there will be no more Israel.”

I repeat: “In 10 years, there will be no more Israel.”

I think I agree with Dr. Kissinger on this one.
        Last edited by Nitro Express; 11-17-2012, 01:42 AM.
        No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Nitro Express
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
          If Benny NuttyYahoo were any other Middle Eastern dictator, all the Repukes would be demanding a "regime change".

What the fuck is the difference between this asshole and Saddam Hussein?
          Hussein didn't have an arsenal of nuclear weapons.

Comment

• Satan
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nitro Express
            http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/cind...5EtBjAxsWoFYoO

Fuck that war criminal son of a bitch, fuck NuttyYahoo, and fuck the Rupert Murdoch Post.

The world up there would be a better place without all three.

Comment

• Satan
              ROTH ARMY ELITE
              • Jan 2004

Hussein didn't have an arsenal of nuclear weapons.
              Exactly.... but Chimpy used a made up lie that suggest he MIGHT have them to start a war. So why do we let the idiot who DOES have a nuclear arsenal bully whomever the fuck he wants to?

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Satan
                Exactly.... but Chimpy used a made up lie that suggest he MIGHT have them to start a war. So why do we let the idiot who DOES have a nuclear arsenal bully whomever the fuck he wants to?
                Actually if I was the president of Iran I would pursue getting a nuclear weapon. They are great defensive weapons and Iran is in a rough neighborhood. People are less likely to attack you. If Iran was a nuclear power the US wouldn't be saber rattling it like it does. If Iraq had nukes, we would have never invaded them. Somehow the US gets all gung ho on attacking non nuclear powers but avoids attacking countries with nukes. Shit. Why has Israel lasted this long? They have nukes.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Dammit Obama, why aren't you doing more !!
                  Like what?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Actually if I was the president of Iran I would pursue getting a nuclear weapon.
                    They already are. Anyone one who thinks otherwise is batshit crazy.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                      SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/cind...5EtBjAxsWoFYoO

Kissinger didn't seem so wise on Cambodia and his misactions contributed to the deaths of millions there...

The only thing that will wipe Israel off the map would be its own stupid policies...

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
                        Like what?
                        Sarcasm....
                        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Let the propaganda begin...

Comment

• Seshmeister
                            ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Oct 2003

Comment

• Seshmeister
                              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER