Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diver Down Sound

Speaking Cherry Red
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't really have a problem with the sound or production either. When it came out I was 17 and didn't give it much thought, now that I'm older it sounds like an old friend and anything else just wouldn't be right.

As for the length of the album, yeah it's a little short but ANY album with Hang Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars, The Full Bug, Big Bad Bill and Where Have All the Good Times Gone on it has done yeoman's work.
    "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

someone's doormat
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's that throwaway sound on first listen, someone before said radio sound. There's more happening under the surface. A turd is a turd, polished or not, Diver Down ain't no turd, Edward! Van Halen were writing this as I was just being created. So it always stands apart from the others.
    They have such an appeal because every album is unique and different yet similarities here and there (for example "Counter blast" and "Stay frosty" from the new album.) Every album offers you into their vision to it their way - you gain experience and perspective from this. Diver Down offers something in the lyrics, in the music. I used to maybe feel against it but now I'm ALL for DiVeR DoWn!

Full bug!

Cathedral/Secrets!

Where have all the good times gone???!!

Little guitars suite!

Big Bad Bill!

Intruder / Pretty woman!!

Hang em high (the pre to Big Trouble!)

All good stuff!

Dancin in the streets is cool if you've had a few drinks!

Pump this up tonight!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ok after reading everyones posts , i knew i was driving today so oiked ADKOT out of the cd player in the car and banged in DD.
    To be honest its been a long time since i listened to it in its entirety . It has always been a funny cd for me it has some of my fav tracks but blah blah blah all the same old shite we have discussed about since forever.

I like the sound on it , ed sounds great etc.
    Trying to listen to it anew and stuff thats jumps out is ... Fuck is that another instrumental ...
    And Dancing is the street I still cant get away with , i want to but i just dont like it.
    And for aband who had just got off the road and wernt getting along it does come across as pretty mellow.
    To some up todays Jaunt i could lose my voice to little guitars any time and the full bug and hang em high get my dick as hard as a quadratic equation.
    fuck your fucking framing

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dancing in the Street is way better live, like on the US Festival recording. More guitar driven rather than mini moog or whatever the fuck that was.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah! I loved how he viciously bangs out the opening chords to that tune just after Cathedral. Al is pretty thunderous on that live as well. Now that's how ya deliver a ballad, real VH style.

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All great points. DD is probably the most debated VH album as we know over the years.
    It's been said before... but it's the perfect Summer-time album for whatever reason. Light and fun. Has some of the greatest VH originals. 3 instrumentals is all good for the EVH/musician types.

But yea...even a few months ago as summer was starting up... I had DD on a few times! Definitely brings me back to '82 when it was fresh and new.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummingbird View Post
    I've always thought the production on DD sucked. Compared to the rest of the six pack, the sound is thin, the album sort of quiet. One of the hallmarks of the early VH sound was the rich, full sound - and this album doesn't have it at all. When I first bought it, I wondered if maybe I'd bought a defective disc.

Yet, I've never heard anyone talk about it on any of the VH forums I've lurked at. Nor have I heard Ed (or anyone else) mention it in any interviews. The only thing I've ever heard was that Ed had a string catch on a bobbin on Franky on the WDFA tour, adversely affecting his tone from then on. But even then, that just refers to his tone. I know I've heard Ed remark on the production for VH II (the whole 'lot of coke on the console' statement), but nothing for DD.

Has anyone ever heard any comment on why DD sounds the way it does? I've sometimes wondered if it was influenced by the sound of radio - I recall an interview where Ed mentioned that they were listening to a transistor in Louisville, KY when "Big Bad Bill" came on, and the band collectively had an orgasm over it. My only theory is that the production was some kind of homage to the sound of radio.

Still, I feel cheated. My complaints about the album are not the typical ones about song selection, but rather that the songs don't sound as rich as they could.

Thoughts?
    I would tend to agree.

When I think of Diver Down, the word "dry" comes to mind: just a very dry sounding album.

Even more so when played in context after Fair Warning (man, what a great sounding album) and 1984 (at least the sonics had some richness and depth to them).

Diver Down...dry...and brittle-sounding.

Might be part of the reason that when I do put it on, I only tend to listen to Hang 'Em High, Secrets, Little Guitars and The Full Bug. The production sound DOES work really well for Big Bad Bill...the rest of it lacks tone...especially the bottom end.
    Scramby eggs and bacon.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    However, even with that being said, even CVH's lesser moments are more brilliant than the vast majority of rock bands could ever aspire to on their best day.

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gbranton View Post
    I don't really have a problem with the sound or production either.
    Neither do I. I also have no problem with 'Diver Down' being what it was...which was Warner Bros. pressuring Van Halen into releasing an album to capitalize on a single. In retrospect, I think they did an awesome job......it is what it is. You can name any of the greatest bands in rock history, and I can name you the 'Diver Down' in their discography. Every band has one.
    The trick is that it doesn't sound contrived, and as an album, it works. It's cool, it's loose, and if anyone were to ask me about the genius of Eddie Van Halen, I'd play them the solo from 'Dancing In The Streets'.

Is it the first album or 'Fair Warning'? Of course not! But it is part of the 6-pack, and it more than holds its own.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    Neither do I. I also have no problem with 'Diver Down' being what it was...which was Warner Bros. pressuring Van Halen into releasing an album to capitalize on a single. In retrospect, I think they did an awesome job......it is what it is. You can name any of the greatest bands in rock history, and I can name you the 'Diver Down' in their discography. Every band has one.
    The trick is that it doesn't sound contrived, and as an album, it works. It's cool, it's loose, and if anyone were to ask me about the genius of Eddie Van Halen, I'd play them the solo from 'Dancing In The Streets'.

Is it the first album or 'Fair Warning'? Of course not! But it is part of the 6-pack, and it more than holds its own.
    I'd say when DD cooks, it cooks right up there with the best of the 6-pack.

I'd also say that there's some stuff on DD which didn't thrill me that worked much better live as played on the 1982/1983 tour (specifically Where Have All The Good Times Gone? and Dancing In The Streets).

I'd have to agree totally that DD doesn't sound the slightest bit contrived or over-labored. It sounds like the band just went into the studio and let it rip...so in some ways it sounds more natural than Fair Warning, performance-wise.

Dick The Bruiser
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think the sound was PERFECT due to the purpose of Diver Down: this was made for the radio.

3 Eddie moments – Cathedral, Intruder, Little Guitars

Mike’s best backing vocals to date.

Al VH proves his meter is as good as or better than pro session drummers. Al is the bottom line on this record, he keeps it fun.

Dave is a musical genius. This word gets tossed around too much. Dave knew VH needed a hit for WB and Dave got VH on the radio.

Dave got them 2 hits. Pretty Woman - Dancing In the Streets

Dave played is ass off on the Full Bug.

Dave directed a hit video.

Dave found Big Bad Bill for the band and it’s my belief, for Eddie and Al’s dad. I believe Dave respected and appreciated Jan Van Halen. Those types of guys only come around once and Dave respected that whole era of talent and musicianship.

Secrets was the inspiration for Can’t Get That Stuff.

The sound was PERFECT due to David Lee Roth trusting Ted and WB trusting Ted.

The best part was the fact that they had just come off the road and due to Dave keeping the momentum with the band, allowed them to do what they could do when on “auto pilot”. Dave knew the industry at this point and knew the work habits of the brothers. Dave pushed the band back to the studio and even appeared in a Frank Sinatra vid.

Dave doesn’t get enough credit for Diver Down and how great it sounds, IMO.
    A NATION OF COWARDS - Jeffrey R. Snyder

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Totally agree....but WHO ARE YOU and what have you done with jerksmear?

Blue-Eyed Murder
    Roth Army Recruit
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cool input on the topic - thanks everybody! Interesting to find that a lot of people love the DD sound. I suppose I'd just always assumed that it was missing something because I felt that way (And I'm the center of the world ), and the friends whose opinions I'd consulted on the topic had agreed with me. I still love the songs as a whole, don't get me wrong - probably even more so than WACF or 1984.

Maybe a better way to put it would have been to ask why the sound on DD is so different than the rest of the six-pack. I think VHII has a bit of the same quality I'm asking about, but not to the degree of DD.

Oh well, just a long-running question I've wanted to ask other VH fans. Way cool to get a bunch of different perspectives!

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    For some casual Van Halen Fans, this is the ultimate summer party album of their day.
    Roth Army Canada

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Little Guitars and Secrets are 2 of my favorite Van Halen tunes, but overall the sound does dissapoint. Wouldn't change anything with Little Guitars though...

Still, I love this thing

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DD was the 1st VAN HALEN recording bought upon release....

Spring of 1982................I was 14..............

DIVER DOWN is a BRILLIANT outing.....KICK ASS guitar & Songs.....

Tonewise? THE BROWN SOUND in its purest form............

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I never understood why Ed always complained that the album had too many covers, then proceeded to play even more covers live on that tour. Heart Break Hotel, Lucille, Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, Summertime Blues. Those all would have been great on Diver Down, should that album have been made up of all covers.

When You Tell The Truth
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ..Although you have to turn up this album a lot, at the right volume it sounds like razor blades shooting out of a machine gun into a pool of melted butter! I like it!!!!

Full On Cocktard
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt White View Post
    DD was the 1st VAN HALEN recording bought upon release....

Spring of 1982................I was 14..............

DIVER DOWN is a BRILLIANT outing.....KICK ASS guitar & Songs.....

Tonewise? THE BROWN SOUND in its purest form............
    Agreed!!! My first brand new VH record bought in 1982 when I was 11 too.

Total brown sound

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Diver Down is to CVH what Some Girls is to the Stones

They owned the covers, & they laid down a nice variety of tracks

I have blown 2 sets of speakers to Intruder, once on purpose - the 1st night in my 1st house - I had an old pair turned up to 11 and the ptthh -nothin lol!

Dancing in the Streets is a great party sing along song - that song is a swizzle stick in the drink imo - guys liked it, chicks loved it

CVH has always been party or sunshine & beach music to me - that album,Diver Down, could be released today and still shoot to #1 imho

Thread Information