Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jérôme Frenchise
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Nov 2004

I was having a blind test game online with my woman yesterday evening while having some cocktails.
    We were doing pretty good. Suddenly they played a Montrose tune - I didn't recognize that band, but
    Hagar's voice got me make a bad face coz I got to identify it and then name the band, which I didn't as
    time was up.
    Damn Hagar, never welcome in my book! Made me lose the game, at that!
    posted by Ellyllions Men say, "I'll never understand women." That's a very lonely place to be if you're a woman because we don't understand half of what we do either.
    posted by ALinChainz Katy, Pipe down, pump off, and fly back to your cave you old bat.

Comment

• chefcraig
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Matt White
      I'm gonna go stick a fork in my ears!!!
      So who did MTV get to play at Halftime? They got N*Sync. Because when I think football, I think N*Sync. Unlike most Americans I'd never heard N*Sync, because usually when they come on, I like to take a pencil and shove it in my ear...So then, they bring on who- Aerosmith. They now have N*Sync and Aerosmith. Now I'm really fucked up. How did they decide on N*Sync and Aerosmith? Where did that decision come from? One MTV executive turned to another and said, "Who should we get for Halftime for the Superbowl?" And then he took a shovel, and whacked the guy across the head.

And while I listened, a vision came into my head. I'm embarrassed to tell you this, but I felt at this point in time, I might rather be seeing donkeys fucking.

N*Sync and Aerosmith would have been enough, but no, they were joined by Britney Spears. Now I've got N*Sync, Aerosmith, and Britney Spears. I have a trifecta from hell. But I was lucky, I had a spoon in my hand. And I shoved it up my ass. Why, you might ask? To distract myself from the pain. Because if I'm going to hurt that much, I'm going to do it to myself. And you know what we call that? Empowerment. I learned that from Oprah.

- Lewis Black, Halftime at the Superbowl 2002

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
      ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• DLR Bridge
        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I vacillate between enjoying trashing all-things-Hagar and being angry about it. With this current thread, I feel angry. I hear bits and pieces of musical promise peppered throughout the OUhate12 cd that forever annoys me as an unfortunate waste. I know Ed was drunkenly mailing some of this shit in (from his house to the studio next to his house) but, dammit, if there aren't some tasty vintage riffs to be found. I almost wish I could strip away the vocals and just plug isolated tracks of Dave screaming over it.

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Van Hagar did a children's concert!

<object width="640" height="480"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iuHY7rUWeo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6iuHY7rUWeo?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="480" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Comment

• Yount
            Commando
            • Jan 2012

Don't interrupt Sammy, Alex is talking!

Comment

• Yount
              Commando
              • Jan 2012

Here's the live version I mentioned. Sammy does the blues.

Comment

• Zing!
                Veteran
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                I almost wish I could strip away the vocals and just plug isolated tracks of Dave screaming over it.
                I've thought that very thing many times. Keep hoping for iso tracks for the Haggar years to show up like they have for the first couple VH albums. Would make for a fun project to properly Van Halenize them.
                My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Angel
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                  I've thought that very thing many times. Keep hoping for iso tracks for the Haggar years to show up like they have for the first couple VH albums. Would make for a fun project to properly Van Halenize them.
                  My ex could mimic Dave's screams really well. In 2004 he tried to win tickets to the Hagar show...he wanted to sit near the stage so he could let out some good screams so he could fuck with Hagar
                  "Ya know what they say about angels... An angel is a supernatural being or spirit, usually humanoid in form, found in various religions and mythologies. Plus Roth fan boards..."- ZahZoo April 2013

Comment

• Satan
                    ROTH ARMY ELITE
                    • Jan 2004

I think I've just discovered a new tool for the Devil's infernal torment toolbox.....

Sammy Hagar attempting to screech the blues......

Unholy shit... as if the album version wasn't horrible enough, that live clip was 666 times worse!
                    Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                    I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• DavidLeeNatra
                      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by ELVIS
                      Aww what the fuck...

Let's check out this lyrical masterpiece...

first time I heard that song...this is funny...how could that shit ever end up on an album with the VH initials on it...
                      Roth Army Icon
                      First official owner of ADKOT (Deluxe Version)

Comment

• chuckjitsu
                        Head Fluffer
                        • Apr 2012

... but, dammit, if there aren't some tasty vintage riffs to be found.
                        This is where I'm at too, but unfortunately they're mostly wasted by Sam "singing" his crap lyrics over the top of them. The fact that they could go 28 years between albums with Dave and then have that album be better (by a wide margin) than anything done during the entirety of the Sam era pretty much says it all- Van Halen is better with Dave. Period. That's why we're all here, right?

Comment

• ELVIS
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2003

Originally posted by chuckjitsu
                          Van Halen is better with Dave. Period. That's why we're all here, right?
                          Amen to dat !!

Comment

• VAiN
                            Use my hand, I won't look
                            ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

You know what this thread needs...

Musta lied, 'cause Dave ain't leavin...
                            Originally posted by wiseguy
                            That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Terry
                              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                              • Jan 2004

I vacillate between enjoying trashing all-things-Hagar and being angry about it. With this current thread, I feel angry. I hear bits and pieces of musical promise peppered throughout the OUhate12 cd that forever annoys me as an unfortunate waste. I know Ed was drunkenly mailing some of this shit in (from his house to the studio next to his house) but, dammit, if there aren't some tasty vintage riffs to be found. I almost wish I could strip away the vocals and just plug isolated tracks of Dave screaming over it.
                              In some ways, the instrumental tracks during the Van Hagar years that weren't synth-pop cheese or 2nd rate hambone hack rock - the instrumental tracks that were actually half-decent (and I'll agree there were some to be found on every album) - were even tougher to listen to than the worthless fluff.

The worthless fluff wouldn't have been much better even if Roth HAD sung over it (you can't polish a turd, and I point to Jump as a prime example - the only worthwhile aspect of the song are the off-kilter lyrics and Roth's delivery). However, there were a few decent guitar-oriented ideas to be found among the Van Hagar drek, and the presence of Sammy made listening to them even more depressing than, say, When It's Love or something along those lines...where I wouldn't even WANT to hear Roth make an attempt to sing over that stuff.
                              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                                DIAMOND STATUS
                                • Aug 2004

I listen to these songs and can't help but think a lot of butt fucking took place at 5150 in the late 80's and early 90's.
                                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

Working...