X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Another Bridge Collapse, This Time in Jersey

A bridge failed in New Jersey’s West Deptford area Friday, sending train cars with toxic chemicals into a creek near the Delaware River, the Coast Guard said.

Train with toxic cargo crashes off bridge into creek
    By the CNN Wire Staff updated 9:03 AM EST, Fri November 30, 2012

(CNN) -- A bridge collapsed in the West Deptford area of New Jersey Friday, sending several train cars carrying toxic chemicals crashing into a creek below, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

Vinyl chloride, a highly toxic and flammable chemical is believed to be leaking into the creek, Petty Officer Nick Ameen told CNN. No casualties have been reported, but some people in the immediate area have been evacuated.

Residents told CNN affiliate WPVI they smelled an odor in the area.

The Coast Guard is not in a search and rescue mode, Ameen said. Coast Guard crews, he said, are heading to the scene to stop the leak and begin cleanup operations.
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • Kristy
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Aug 2004

If this story wasn't bad enough why would the authorities put a lockdown on the local schools? Do the kids plan on going swimming in the river during recess? Wouldn't they also be evacuated? As for the toxic chemicals themselves, maybe they can get the fine folks at BP to clean it up?
    Last edited by Kristy; 11-30-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jan 2004

Who said we don't need regular infrastructure upgrades? That should be a regular thing out of the paid-for DOT budget.

What we don't need, however, is another boondoggle stimulus to pay for these repairs/upgrades, particularly when we borrow from China for them.
      “If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Comment

• chefcraig
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Kristy
        If this story wasn't bad enough why would the authorities put a lockdown on the local schools? Do the kids plan on going swimming in the river during recess? Wouldn't they also be evacuated??
        If you'd seen the footage of the area as I just did on CNN, you'd know why the kids were locked down: There is a literally a huge toxic fog blanketing a huge area of the town, so authorities advised everyone to remain indoors. Having them leave the school in an evacuation scenario would require them to venture out right into this soup.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
        ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• FORD
          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by BigBadBrian
          Who said we don't need regular infrastructure upgrades? That should be a regular thing out of the paid-for DOT budget.
          Seems to be a pattern with these KKKoch Brothers groupie Repuke governors. You would think they would have learned from Pawlenty's fuckup with the I-35 bridge in Minnesota. And Christie, in particular... he should definitely have known better after recently witnessing the "Atlas Shitted" fairy tales literally blow up in his face, courtesy of the Frankenstorm Sandy (itself a result of man made, KKKoch funded global climate change)
          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Kristy
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
            If you'd seen the footage of the area as I just did on CNN, you'd know why the kids were locked down: There is a literally a huge toxic fog blanketing a huge area of the town, so authorities advised everyone to remain indoors. Having them leave the school in an evacuation scenario would require them to venture out right into this soup.
            You know, you scolding me like a child turns me on from time to time.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

What we don't need, however, is another boondoggle stimulus to pay for these repairs/upgrades, particularly when we borrow from China for them.
              That would make more sense than borrowing from China to fund weapon systems largely designed to defend against, and intimidate, CHINA!...

Comment

• Nitro Express
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Aug 2004

I will never forget riding a train in Peru and I asked the conductor how long it would take to get to Cuzco. He said it may take four hours or four days. I said why four days? He said they had landslides all the time and it took time to clear the tracks. I said how long does it take to clear the tracks? He goes as fast as you guys can shovel. We have a whole boxcar full of shovels and track repairing equipment. LOL! Well the car I was in was full of South Africans ripped to the gills on pisco and coco leaves. I don't think they would be good for much when it came to clearing the tracks.

Then on the same trip we are on a bus with bald tires going up a mountain road with huge drop offs and crossing bridges made from two half logs. God, you would be happy to have any infrastructure at all. LOL!
                No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by FORD
                  courtesy of the Frankenstorm Sandy (itself a result of man made, KKKoch funded global climate change)
                  What utter bullshit.

Was Willoughby Spit, a peninsula of land here in Norfolk with neighborhoods and shops, created by a climate-change Hurricane also?

Hell, man was evidently causing Hurricanes even back in the 1660's, right?

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                    That would make more sense than borrowing from China to fund weapon systems largely designed to defend against, and intimidate, CHINA!...
                    We shouldn't be borrowing from them period!

BTW, did you see their new aircraft carrier? At least it looks better than what the Brits could come up with.

Comment

• Satan
                      ROTH ARMY ELITE
                      • Jan 2004

What utter bullshit.

Was Willoughby Spit, a peninsula of land here in Norfolk with neighborhoods and shops, created by a climate-change Hurricane also?

Hell, man was evidently causing Hurricanes even back in the 1660's, right?
                      Hurricanes cannot happen without warm ocean water. And for the water to be that warm at the end of October, that took a little assistance from you mortals.

Though I'm sure Pat Robertson probably claims that I'm opening vents down here in Hell and letting all the steam out, or something like that.....
                      Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                      I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                        SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

We shouldn't be borrowing from them period!

BTW, did you see their new aircraft carrier? At least it looks better than what the Brits could come up with.
                        It's just a refurbished Soviet carrier, and I haven't read in depth on it, but it looks like the China-copy-Mig thing taking off from the deck was more a publicity stunt than is was a sign of an active warship...

Comment

• Satan
                          ROTH ARMY ELITE
                          • Jan 2004

God damn these KKKoch whore "libertarians" are idiots...... "we don't need roads"
                          Eternally Under the Authority of Satan

Originally posted by Sockfucker
                          I've been in several mental institutions but not in Bakersfield.

Comment

• BigBadBrian
                            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                            • Jan 2004

FORD, who are these nonsense goons you always post videos of? This one and i think the other one is...the Daily Take?

I don't know because I never watch the videos.

Comment

• FORD
                              ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

FORD, who are these nonsense goons you always post videos of? This one and i think the other one is...the Daily Take?

I don't know because I never watch the videos.
                              Maybe you should? You might learn something. Thom Hartmann is one of the smartest people on TV or radio. He's also written a lot of books. He's not a college professor, but he could be (if he weren't so damn busy as it is)
                              Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...