• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Winner of MTV’s “Lost Weekend With Van Halen” Tells His Story

Hat-tip VHND, please do not copy/paste:

This week in 1984, the winner of MTV's "Lost Weekend With Van Halen" suddenly found himself in the eye of the hurricane. This is his story!
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth
  • lesfunk
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I want part 2!
    http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• sadaist
      TOASTMASTER GENERAL
      • Jul 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
      I want part 2!

Our lost weekend was the night WARF went to the Cafe wha? show. Everyone here in one thread clicking refresh every 15 seconds and mentally every one of us was right there in front with him basically the 5th member of the band. Greatest night at the Roth Army ever.

My favorite part was WARF as Eddie walked to the stage right in front of him & for a moment they were fae to face. All WARF could say to Eddies face was....

"This is fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes sir, it surely was.

Makes me sad remembering when MTV was cool.
      “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by sadaist
        Our lost weekend was the night WARF went to the Cafe wha? show. Everyone here in one thread clicking refresh every 15 seconds and mentally every one of us was right there in front with him basically the 5th member of the band. Greatest night at the Roth Army ever.

My favorite part was WARF as Eddie walked to the stage right in front of him & for a moment they were fae to face. All WARF could say to Eddies face was....

"This is fucking awesome!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yes sir, it surely was.

Makes me sad remembering when MTV was cool.
        Some of us were front row at the Forum too, but sure, WARF had the ultra-cool gig in NYC.....

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• gbranton
          Veteran
          • Aug 2005

It's hard to believe that MTV ever was cool but that is a fact.

I remember sending in a huge stack of postcards (nearly 200 of them), writing until my hand ached, in hopes that this would be me.
          "Don't want 'em to get you goat, don't show 'em where it's hid." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• chefcraig
            DIAMOND STATUS
            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            +1. Abso-fucking-lutely.

That evening set in motion the standard for the pattern of drinking I have engaged in ever since.

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
            ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nitro Express
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Aug 2004

MTV was is it's best when the cable companies where just trying to find something to fill all those channels up. If you had a video MTV would probably put it on the air and new up coming bands and even some established ones made some videos. Once the big television people saw MTV was generating ratings they started to diddle with it until they turned it into one big reality soap opera and it became everything but music. Not only that, it became a political propaganda channel to influence the young and gullible. MTV went from stick it to the man to bend over.
              No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• sadaist
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                Some of us were front row at the Forum too, but sure, WARF had the ultra-cool gig in NYC.....

I remember. Remember I was in the on-deck circle in case one of you guys had to pull out. So awesome how Dave treated us here at the Army. But it was a little less climactic for us page refreshers since we had a bit of experience under our belts from Cafe Wha?. that night was just about the greatest thing ever.

When WARF yelled out "She's The Woman" .0002 seconds into the song.......pure awesome!
                “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• sadaist
                  TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                  • Jul 2004

You guys think we will ever hear from or find the 4 kids who played the mini-band members in the HFT video? Mini Dave lol. Lucky little fuck. Playing mini Dave in 1984 in the HFT vid at age 14 or so....I bet he got laid like crazy in high school.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Mar 2004

The Cafe Wha? gig nite was fucking epic. A PC, an iPod and a laptop all goin at once...

The Lost Weekend contest was awesome. I was too damn young to enter and it killed me every time I saw the commercial.
                    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

I know we butt heads some times but I really still do appreciate everything you and the Roth Army has done....

Not just for me.... but for the entire Van Halen community....

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by WARF
                        I know we butt heads some times but I really still do appreciate everything you and the Roth Army has done....

Not just for me.... but for the entire Van Halen community....
                        It was my pleasure WARFy, and don't worry, I'll collect one of these days....

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

It was my pleasure WARFy, and don't worry, I'll collect one of these days....
                          I don't know how tall you are but it was supposed to be your big head blocking Jimmy Fallon's view!

Comment

• WARF
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

It's a good thing I was sober that night I probably would have rushed the stage or started a "Roth Army" chant!

Comment

• Zing!
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                              The Cafe Wha? gig nite was fucking epic. A PC, an iPod and a laptop all goin at once...

The Lost Weekend contest was awesome. I was too damn young to enter and it killed me every time I saw the commercial.
                              The Wha? night was bad ass. Pages couldn't refresh fast enough. Tattoo blasting and staying up all night getting Chinese eyes. Great, great night. Such euphoria that VH was back and doing something for the fans. Damn... Let's do it again!
                              My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

Working...