Thread: I Have Mentioned Before That It IS Legal To Own Machine Guns......

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status

I Have Mentioned Before That It IS Legal To Own Machine Guns......

http://www.wired.com/rawfile/2012/12...Top+Stories%29

Machine Gun Expo Is Down-Home Americana Gone Ballistic
    By Pete Brook 12.05.12

Story Rush, a kindergarten teacher from Greenwood, AK, fires an M1919 Browning .30 caliber machine gun on the first night of OFASTS. "It is such an adrenaline rush," she says after stepping back from the weapon. It's her first time at the show, which she attends with her husband and 8-year-old son. "I grew up hunting with my dad so guns are nothing unusual for me," she says.

There are thousands of gun shows in America each year, but machine gun shows are a rare spectacle. At the two-day hands-on shootfest that is the Oklahoma Full Auto Shoot & Trade Show (OFASTS) exhibitors rent out fully automatic weapons to the public so that they may annihilate refrigerators, ovens and other household appliances.

Photojournalist Pete Muller recently scratched a years-long itch to visit OFASTS and documented his trip.

“I grew up in a congested and heavily regulated area of the northeast and consequently had little exposure to guns and gun culture,” says Muller. “What was happening at OFASTS was unlike anything I’d seen or experienced.”

Muller has seen a lot of guns. Between 2009 and 2012, he lived in Sudan documenting the tense transition from civil war to independence for the South — even now the peace agreement on which independence rests remains fragile and not without skirmish. While Muller pursued his long-term story in Sudan, he was also thinking of gun culture in the United States, specifically the recreational use of machine guns. That’s when OFASTS came on his radar.

Held annually in Wyandotte, Okla., OFASTS is — alongside the Knob Creek Machine Gun Show (Kentucky) and the Big Sandy Shoot Out (Arizona) – one of the largest machine gun shows in the country. Over a hundred vendors trade machine guns there, with prices in the thousands and sometimes in the tens of thousands. Though prices are high, the opportunity for machine gun enthusiasts to shoot others’ weapons is a big draw.

Whether your fancy is the M248 SAW, which fires 750 rounds per minute, or the FN M240B, which is the U.S. armed forces current-issue medium machine gun, there’s a firearm for everyone. There’s also a dynamite crew on hand to beef up the explosions. At $10 a day or $18 for the weekend (under-10s get in free), it’s good bang for your buck. Gun and magazine rental prices vary.

“Given the politicized nature of the gun discussion, I wanted to better understand this fundamental element of our national ethos,” says Muller, who was skeptical of others’ viewpoints on gun issues and wanted to see OFASTS for himself.

South Sudan and Oklahoma are extremely far apart in both geography and culture, yet Muller says that generally communities’ proximity to state security institutions shape their affinity for and possession of firearms. OFASTS is the type of exposition special to rural America; permits for machine gun shows aren’t very likely to be passed out in urban areas.

“People living in the periphery are often more likely to possess weapons as a means of insuring their personal security. This propensity increases, of course, if the isolation in which they live is, or is perceived to be, fraught with danger,” says Muller.

OFASTS culminates in “Kill the Car,” a moment when every gun-wielding attendee takes aim at a free-wheeling, explosives-packed car rolling down a hillside. Within a minute, tens of thousands of bullets pepper the condemned beater. Heaps of empty shells scatter the mainline shooting gallery.

During Muller’s stay, attendees ranged from lawyers and investors to IT experts and even an unnamed former Apple executive.

“Owning legal machine guns is an expensive hobby. Most of the gun owners are pretty well-heeled,” he says.

For those accustomed to guns, especially automatics, events like OFASTS can be as welcoming and innocuous as a state fair. For outsiders, the shows and the photos from them can be quite shocking and, in some cases, disturbing.

“I find it somewhat peculiar when people seem surprised by the ongoing American love affair with guns. The country was acquired in a way that required guns. Expansion of the American frontier was a severely violent process in which the gun played a central role, its sanitized memory has since become a pillar of white American nostalgia. It represents notions of freedom, individualism and valor and all of those things are tied to patriotism,” says Muller.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, that crazy bitch looks like someone who should be teaching 5 year olds.

Geezus......
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is a place in las Vegas where you can rent & shoot big giant guns like that. one of these days I'd like to do that & try it out. Looks like a lot of fun. No desire at all to own one though.
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    There is a place in las Vegas where you can rent & shoot big giant guns like that. one of these days I'd like to do that & try it out. Looks like a lot of fun. No desire at all to own one though.
    I went to a machine gun shoot where they had a MG-42. It ate up $100 worth of Turkish surplus 8mm pretty damn quick. Fun but expensive. I don't care if people own them. They have for years. It's not the Class III machine gun owners who commit crimes. If they want to pay the licensing fees and deal with the government to own one then fine. You actually have to build a vault to government specifications to store them in. It's a major deal.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-06-2012 at 02:23 AM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Firing a machine gun is kind of like firing a shotgun. You fire in controlled bursts. The barrels get hot quick and you can overheat them. You either have to let them cool down or change out the barrels. If you have a liquid cooled gun this is less of a concern. It's kind of like an engine on a car. So you just don't let it rip non-stop.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 12-06-2012 at 02:48 AM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There is another reason for firing in controlled bursts.

It makes it more difficult for the enemy to determine who has heavy machineguns, and who has lighter weapons like assault rifles.

The point is to make it more difficult for the enemy to pinpoint the location of the belt-fed heavy weapon. So....and this could be outdated, as they were teaching this in my basic training in 1977, the wisdom in the US Army was for everyone to fire in bursts of 3. And of course the M16A1 had a burst setting on the selector switch, in addition to "semi" and "auto".

My weapon was an M-60. Ooooh what fun it was!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I was always terrible with the M-60 and general purpose machine-guns in general...

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I was always terrible with the M-60 and general purpose machine-guns in general...

But you got to fire them. Still an experience you will be able to tell your grandson about some day. The big guns grand dad used to fire off. Old military guys have always been a magnet for me (not calling you old....but you will be some day lol). I just love hearing them talk even about the simplest things like their pocket knives or rations.

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ma Deuce, Navy-style

“If bullshit was currency, Joe Biden would be a billionaire.” - George W. Bush

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Never got to fire the big stuff......pretty effective weapon....been around for over 60 years now and still in use.

Thread Information