• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Va Beach VH Fan
    ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    • Dec 2003

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
    Bullshit! Bullshit! Bullshit!

Dennis DeYoung practically destroyed Styx with that "Kilroy Was Here" album. In addition, HE SUED THE REST OF THE BAND!

Now that is low in my opinion.
    He beat me to it....

I think some research into the history of the band, and specifically DeYoung, is required....

Sometimes people make too much of LSD (Lead Singer Disease), but in the case of guys like DeYoung (and Steve Perry and Axl Rose), who thought HE was the band, it's warranted....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
      ROTH ARMY ELITE
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by fraroc
      Elvis I'm not sure if you really are stupid or just act this way to piss people off.
      when he gets called out on it it becomes an act.

And for the rest of you, I'm not defending crimes against rock like Mr. Roboto or Babe, but before trashing deYoung's lesser moments you need to acknowledge that the dude wrote some really strong hard rock on the first couple of albums. He is the reason they were an amazing hard rock band before they turned into a ballad and robot factory. But you aren't familiar with it since the majority wasn't on the radio.....

I think people like this get tired of working their asses off for years and getting no money and that's where the compromises come in. The slow tune Lady was about ten years before the calculated cheese ballad became the norm with hard rock albums.

Jimmy Page couldn't sue for this taking from Babe I'm Gonna Leave you since he got it from Joan Baez.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Stynx.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• sadaist
          TOASTMASTER GENERAL
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by binnie
          I'm amazed that Styx have 'hardcore' fans

One band that has always passed me by, but each to their own.....

I think every band has a base of hardcore fans. It's just some are much larger than others. I used to like Styx but my sister & some group she was in used a song from them for some dance routine & practiced at our house for a month. I heard Too Much Time On My hands 10,000 times. Kinda got sick of them after that.
          “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• ThrillsNSpills
            ROTH ARMY ELITE
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by sadaist
            I heard Too Much Time On My hands 10,000 times. Kinda got sick of them after that.
            I hear you....

The stuff I like from them most people haven't heard, which is a shame given how much people love hard rock here. How they went from that to Mr. Roboto is something out of bizarro world.

Comment

• Hardrock69
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Feb 2005

Dennis did help to write their early hard-rock material.

But then he began to suck the corporate coch, and Mr. Roboto was the end result.

That was the fucking stupidest goddamn piece of shit. Was? Still is.

I would have fired his fucking ass rather than record or perform such idiocy.

Comment

• philouze
                Banned
                • Mar 2004

While we're at it, Randy California didn't sue Jimmy Page when he copied Spirit's Taurus.. Heh ? HEH ?

Comment

• sonrisa salvaje
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2005

I agree that the Kilroy record was bad. I don't think that calls for DeYoung to be removed from the history of the band's website as if he never existed. If you read their history on the site, it pretty much says they obtained multi platinum success off the songs that Shaw wrote.
                  RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
                  LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

Comment

• Hardrock69
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Feb 2005

Mr. Shaw is a really nice guy, though.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                      ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                      • Dec 2003

I think all you really need to do is watch the BTM and listen to DeYoung's arrogant comments....

Get More:
                      Styx, Behind The Music Remastered
                      Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                        ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Parking lot full of whale vomit. Love it.

Comment

• lesfunk
                          Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I believe Styx is "ghey"
                          I also believe that Dennis DeYoung is actually Gay
                          http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I remember this show when it came out. I remember Tommy discussing the view of cars tail lights trailing away from the outdoor venue at the start of one of their Kilroy shows. I think people actually witnessed a Sammy Hagar show before bailing on Stynx. That's bad.

Comment

• LoungeMachine
                              DIAMOND STATUS
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by BITEYOASS
                              Besides, me & the Mrs. saw Styx last year in Montgomery and the concert was freakin' awesome. Chuck Panozzo even showed up.
                              I saw them in Sept., and Chuck played the last 1/3 of the show here as well. It was a great show, even if the keys/vox guy was a little over the top. Tommy and James were on top of their game.

As to if they're "assholes" or not, I couldn't fucking care less. I wasn't there to make friends with them, I just wanted to hear the classic songs played.
                              Originally posted by Kristy
                              Dude, what in the fuck is wrong with you? I'm full of hate and I do drugs.
                              Originally posted by cadaverdog
                              I posted under aliases and I jerk off with a sock. Anything else to add?

Comment

• FORD
                                ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

I don't really take one side or the other in the Styx wars, since I really haven't given a shit about them in 30 years. It definitely WAS the Kilroy album that scares me away, so I guess Dennis gets the blame for that. The actual idea behind the album was good - a statement against religious fascist theocracy - it just failed in the execution. Should have left the rock operas to Roger Waters and Pete Townsend.

I'm just not a fan of scab bands though, and that's what this so-called "Styx" is. If Chuck Panozzo is playing with them again, that's a good thing, but it would mean he's the only original member on stage.
                                Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

Working...