Thread: Kix

Full On Cocktard

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Kix

What do people think of KIX? I ask because just prior to New Years when I was in NYC, I jumped on the Greyhound to their hometown of Baltimore and saw them play at the Ram's Head. For me, it was a pretty cool experience - I didn't know anybody (my girlfriend had no interest in coming on an 8 hour round-trip - I guess she's seen The Wire), I stayed in a crappy hotel, randomly made friends with this bloke who has been going to their gigs since the early 80s. I guess it was as close to Detroit Rock City as I'll ever get (terrible movie, by the way). He bought me a few beers too (and I'm pretty sure he wasn't coming on to me, because he was there with his wife.) Plus, I got to see a band that are something of a guilty pleasure.

Anyway, I guess you could say they never really made it - they only really hit the big time in '88 with Don't Close Your Eyes which is a decent ballad, but hardly representative of their other material. Chuck Eddy in his book Stairway to Hell: The 500 Best Heavy Metal Albums in the Universe had their self-titled debut at #5 and 1988's Blow My Fuse at #11 and Cool Kids at #34 (VH's first appearance is 1984 at #12).

Countless people have said that Brett Michaels stole Steve Whiteman's schtick too. Not the first time they've been accused of plagiarism: http://loudwire.com/poison-accused-p...-biggest-hits/

I chose my username for the first time on an internet forum about 10+ years ago when listening to the Alice Cooper song, not the band - thought I should add that.

Anyway, some of KIX's songs perpetuate the hair metal stereotype - 'Sex', with the chorus "sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, sex, uh, sex, uh, sex, sex" is hardly a lyrical masterpiece, but I also think Steve Whiteman is an underrated vocalist who can seriously wail. Not Tom Keifer underrated, but underrated nonetheless. Also, they were great live when I saw them, despite the fact Steve Whiteman's back was fucked and he couldn't really move around on stage too much. His voice is more or less what it was 20 years ago.

So am I on my own here?

As a sidenote, apologies if this belongs in another thread. KIX was too short to search for, and 'Steve Whiteman' returned no results
    Last edited by Poison99; 04-23-2013 at 03:31 AM.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I enjoyed them throughout my highschool and college years. Got their first 5 CDs. Lots of great stuff on them. Haven't listened to them in about 20 years and maybe it's time to blow the dust off of them.

My problem with that band is this. I saw them in a club on their Hot Wire tour. I was standing pretty close to the stage. I am 100% certain that the singer was lip syncing the entire time. Needless to say, that's unacceptable.

Thread Information