Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Never was
    Foot Soldier
    • May 2012

When you consider how dysfuntional Foreigner was as a band by that point for Van Hagar to be a train wreck to him says a lot.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Sammy is Michael Bolton with Dee Snyder hair.

Comment

• Dave's Bitch
        ROCKSTAR

• Apr 2005

Originally posted by Never was
        Mick isn't exactly subtle with his words, but is a classy guy.
        Hagar gets way too much credit as a singer. He is very consistent I give him that but his range isn't great and to me just lacks texture.
        That is why the argument of Sammy being a better singer than Dave makes me laugh.Sammy's voice natural register is a little higher but his range is very limited.Dave has a much better command of the lower register and there are very few people who can scream the way Dave can.Sammy is probably more consistent than Dave,But Dave is a Frontman so singing is only half of what he is about.Dave is an entertainer,Sammy is not.
        Last edited by Dave's Bitch; 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM.
        I really love you baby, I love what you've got
        Let's get together we can, Get hot

Comment

• binnie
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2006

I'd have to give the nod to Vai here - from 5150 Ed's playing/writing felt over-thought and lacked the spontaneity of the older records (which was the source of its power/energy to these ears).

Much as I think Vai overplayed (even by his standards) in Dave's band, it's so colourful that it works as a natural foil to Dave's character.
          The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Comment

• TJMKID
            Veteran
            • Mar 2004

2004 would've been the perfect year for a reunion tour of the EEAS band.

Dave was still in top shape during that period --- doing split jumps off the drum riser --- and Vai and Sheehan could've churned out a couple new tracks.

It would've been funny as hell to see Dave and his boys absolutely destroying Van Hagar that summer --- with Fatty Ronald McDonald and his do-rag and Mr. Samurai Meth Head embarrassing themselves every night. Just like shooting fish in a barrel.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

Ed wore orange pajama pants onstage during the 5150 tour. Vai wore purple sequined pants for the EEAS tour. Vai wins, no question.
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                Ed wore orange pajama pants onstage during the 5150 tour. Vai wore purple sequined pants for the EEAS tour. Vai wins, no question.
                I'd give Ed a hall pass if they were orange. Those MC Hamma pajamas were pink!

Comment

• Never was
                  Foot Soldier
                  • May 2012

You know what you will get with Sammy he is more reliable vocally than Dave.
                  Now Dave is a high standard deviation but vocally when he is on his best game I actually think he has the better voice. Now getting Dave at his best vocally is a challenge at times but he always has his personality. Hagar on his best nights is still at best the Jimmy Buffet character of melodic rock.

Comment

• Zing!
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
                    I also like how you always spell Bette's last name wrong.
                    I spelled it wrong?

sammy-hagar-cruisin-and-boozin.jpg
                    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

And so did his label at the time. Good find.

Comment

• smorgdonkey
                        Roadie
                        • Jul 2004

I shunned 5150 for a couple of months after I listened to it twice and read the lyrics. I was ready to bury Van Halen as a current band at the time. Eat 'Em And Smile was much better...no big pop sappy ballads but a better rock record.

It used to really piss me off to hear Ed and Al sling shit about Dave...and for Sam and Mike to join right in there...looking back all of these years Al is the only one that Ed hasn't f'd yet. It certainly brings up some negative feelings for me.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                          Crazy Ass Mofo
                          • Apr 2005

I liked 5150. But I never thought of it as Van Halen. Just like Sabbath without Ozzy. Sure the name is the same to move product but the band isn't. Not even close. I still like about half of 5150. But Eat Em kills it on all levels. That album is the only reason I was fine with Dave quiting Van Halen. It's a classic 80's album. One of the best. It's better than some of the stuff he did with Ed. I wish he would put out a dvd of that tour. Vai & Billy were shit hot !

Comment

• jhale667
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

EEAS is far superior as an album, and the tour was magnificent. Still one of the best shows I've ever seen. Will never forget them opening with "Shy Boy" - Billy and Steve running around like baby gibbons while pulling off those incredible unison runs. They finish the song, Dave goes "So, what d'ya think of the new band so far?"
                            Originally posted by conmee
                            If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
                            Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
                            I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
                            Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
                            Originally posted by eddie78
                            I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• lesfunk
                              Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Dave's biggest mistake was breaking up the EEAS team before making at least 3 albums.
                              http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by lesfunk
                                Dave's biggest mistake was breaking up the EEAS team before making at least 3 albums.
                                I'd agree with that if Skyscraper sounded more like EEAS II. Besides, he didn't break them up. One by one, they went bye bye on their own.

Comment

Working...