Thread: Happy 22nd Birthday "A Little Ain't Enough" - 1/15/91

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Happy 22nd Birthday "A Little Ain't Enough" - 1/15/91

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMNa1xqSwng?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yMNa1xqSwng?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

1/15/91

David Lee Roth releases A Little Ain't Enough. David Lee Roth's third full-length solo album after his departure from Van Halen. It began its 19-week run on the charts on 2/02/91 (U.S.) and 1/26/91 (U.K.). It reached its highest chart position on 2/16/91 at U.S. #18 and 1/26/91 at U.K. #4. Tracks: • A Lil' Ain't Enough • Shoot It • Lady Luck • Hammerhead Shark • Tell the Truth • Baby's on Fire • 40 Below • Sensible Shoes • Last Call • The Dogtown Shuffle • It's Showtime! • Drop in the Bucket. Rumors surrounded the auditions for the album. People wondered who would be the next in a line of guitar heroes to play for Dave. Jason Becker, one of the little-known guitarists in Cacophony (Marty Friedman, later of Megadeth, was the other), sent in a demo tape that included "Hot for Teacher," "Skyscraper," and "Panama." He was asked to audition in person. He performed "Hot for Teacher," "Panama," "Just a Gigolo," "Yankee Rose," as well as some new songs and won the nod to fill the slot. At first Dave and the band stayed at a luxury hotel while recording in Vancouver, British Columbia. However, when he noticed how other bands staying at the same hotel were being pampered, Dave insisted that his band stay at the worst hotel possible while recording the album (Dave's room cost $15 per night). Dave felt that it would give the album a harder edge. The original name of the album was Cut 'n Out, but some thought the artwork on the cover, a devil with scissors positioned in a precarious way, was a little too suggestive. Bob Rock produced the album after having just completed Metallica's self-titled album. The album was recorded at Little Mountain Studios where AC/DC was recording next door with producer Bruce Fairbairn. Angus Young inspired at least one solo, on the song "Last Call." Jason was asked to contribute any new material he had written, so he presented "Drop in the Bucket" and "It's Showtime!," which ended the album. Rob Nevil (Nevil Brothers) and Craig Goldy (Dio) were also used as songwriters on the album. Steve Hunter, referred to Roth by Becker, was brought in to play slide guitar. Dave built huge climbing walls in the studio so he could enjoy his rock climbing hobby while working on the album. Shortly after recording the album, Jason Becker's health took a turn for the worse as a result of ALS. Though he had been experiencing symptoms before the recording of the album, the symptoms got worse and he could not to tour with Dave. The year 1991 was a notorious one for bad concert turnouts. Dave suffered from this. Even though his show offered Extreme and Cinderella as opening acts, it wasn't enough, and ticket prices were slashed. Eventually, the tour was cut short. Videos from this album included "A Lil' Ain't Enough," "Sensible Shoes," and "Tell the Truth." Dave really went all out for the first video, "A Lil' Ain't Enough." It featured close to 90 women (in various states of undress), eight little people, a huge wall of Marshall amps (later recreated on the tour), and a remix of the song. Dave once commented that much of the video's script was improvised, including his idea of filming himself being massaged by five Asian women. Soon after the video's debut, Dave hosted a segment on MTV wearing the same high suspenders shown in the video. Dave also commented about the ending of the video, which shows him on October 10, 2021 during his final tour. He is shown as an old, fat, spandex-clad cowboy. According to Roth this is not what he expects of himself, but what others expect of him - to die like Elvis. The video for "Sensible Shoes" was much more low-key. It was filmed entirely in black and white and included only a few of Dave's trademark women. The women in this video were later featured in a cable special about how women are portrayed in rock videos. The video for "Tell the Truth" featured live footage from the 1991 A Little Ain't Enough tour. It was also filmed entirely in black and white. This is the only video from this album in which other members of the band are shown. The tour featured Joe Holmes (who later went on to replace Zakk Wylde in Ozzy Osbourne) and Dezi Rexx of D'Molls fame. Rexx was fired shortly after the tour began. He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz) to work on a demo produced by Andy Johns (who had just finished producing Van Halen's F.U.C.K. album).

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is the kinda birthday that just makes me feel old and proves that time flies at warp speed. Happy Birthday ALAE!

I believe Pete Angelus directed the "Shoes" video, as well as the Black Crowes "She Talks To Angels" around the same time.

" He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz) to work on a demo produced by Andy Johns (who had just finished producing Van Halen's F.U.C.K. album)." And Private Life was produced by EVH and toured with Van Hagar in '89. There has always been a link between Dave and Ed. All roads lead back to classic Van Halen!

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    22 years fucking jumping methuselahs I feel old hearing that .
    Happy birthday ya old bastid your still my fav dlr solo album .
    fuck your fucking framing

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This album got me through the misery of the grunge years.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    that album came out before i could legally drink?
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just think; when this album was recorded, Jason Becker had just been given a prognosis of a 5-year life expectancy...and he's still here, still writing music.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    This is the kinda birthday that just makes me feel old and proves that time flies at warp speed. Happy Birthday ALAE!

" He never stated why he was fired but later teamed with Danny Johnson of Private Life (who replaced Steve Vai in Alcatrazz)
    I don't know if 'replaced Steve Vai' is the right way to word that.

Admittedly a tough gig following Vai and Malmsteen but 'failed in his attempt to replace Vai' may be more accurate from what I heard.

I think that it's very likely that Dezi Rexx was fired for asking for more money once the tour began being the unnamed guitarist who Dave mentions doing this in his book.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-15-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Anyone have the Redbeard interview with Dave to launch ALAE ??? It was an hour long.

I remember taping it off the radio in Jan. 1991 when it aired live --- but I fucking lost that tape years ago. Suprised I havent seen it posted anywhere online.

It was a typically classic DLR interview --- lots of memorable quotes. Dave did seem a little more mellow from his over-the-top 80's persona, though.

Banned
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    that album came out before i could legally drink?

1991 was 22 years ago?

I remember the 90s so vividly...

... what a lousy decade to live through.

Happy Birthday, 2nd best Dave album!

Cheers! :bottle:

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Great album. Love the guitar tone on it. Lots of tasty stuff.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Hard to believe it's been that long. Hard to believe I was only 20 then - I'm old as hell

The show in Charlotte was great! Poor Gary, he was prancing around like a fag even then. 21 bucks for a triple bill show. Man those days are long gone...

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Did Dave still have the devil statues pissing Jack Daniels on the audience at this show?

I'm not big on concert gimmicks --- but this was one prop I would've like to see in person.

No wonder the ALAE tour was cut short --- Dave was probably pissing away $10,000 in whiskey every night !!

Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    Hard to believe it's been that long. Hard to believe I was only 20 then - I'm old as hell

The show in Charlotte was great! Poor Gary, he was prancing around like a fag even then. 21 bucks for a triple bill show. Man those days are long gone...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Imapus Sylicker View Post
    I remember the 90s so vividly...

... what a lousy decade to live through.

Actually, wasnt that bad of a decade --- Clinton was in office with no bullshit wars going on --- and the US economy was booming without bailouts or fiscal cliffs --- plus we got to see the rise of the Interwebs!

All in all --- we've seen much worse decades.

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yo donnie you saw ALAE who was the guitar player?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes, Dave had the pissing devils. It was cool as fuck! About halfway thru the show he walked offstage and then made his way to the boxing ring. The place went nuts! And people can say he was washed up and other bullshit...but when he came out onstage people were jumping up and down in their chairs!! Dave was a fucking rock star!! Damn what a great night.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, but I'm also curious...who was the guitar player? Joe Holmes?

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    OK, but I'm also curious...who was the guitar player? Joe Holmes?

I have no idea. I was there to see Dave . Sorry for the lack of info but I was 20 and it was a long time ago

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by WARF View Post
    Yo donnie you saw ALAE who was the guitar player?
    I was at the first gig of the World tour, it was Joe Holmes and Desi Rexx.

Holmes did all the solos and was average ducking the most difficult Vai, Eddie and Becker stuff. Rexx (real name?) seemed to be there more for his backing vocals.
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-16-2013 at 04:47 AM.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I can't remember who the other guitarist was but desi Rex or whatever was one of them when I saw them at Whitley bay ... Even tho the boots say Whitley bay Scotland lol.
    I do remember the band fucked up a song so bad dave told them to start it again which I have never seen before or since .

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    So you saw them the second night of the tour.

You know now you remind me I think he made them stop and restart a song at our show too. Can't remember which, I think it was an ALAE song.

I also remember a few things being out of sorts and Roth having a tantrum about his mike and throwing it at a roadie.

I was disappointed in the lack of EEAS/Skyscraper stuff.

Setlist

1. Intro
    2. You Really Got Me (Kinks)
    3. Baby’s On Fire
    4. Panama (Van Halen)
    5. A Lil’ Ain’t Enough
    6. Lady Luck
    7. Piano Intro - Brett Tuggle
    8. Easy Street
    9. Unchained (Van Halen)
    10. Drum Solo - Greg Bissonette
    11. 40 Below
    12. Shoot It
    13. Beautiful Girls (Van Halen)
    14. Just a Gigolo [I Ain’t Got Nobody] (Louis Prima)
    15. Hammerhead Shark
    16. Hot For Teacher (Van Halen)
    17. Tell The Truth
    18. Just Like Paradise
    19. Yankee Rose
    20. Ain’t Talkin’ ‘Bout Love (Van Halen)
    21. California Girls (Beach Boys)
    22. Acoustic Guitar Solo - David Lee Roth
    23. Ice Cream Man (John Brim)
    24. Happy Trails (Roy Rogers)
    25. Jump (Van Halen)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Thinking back I did think Dave was great ... Even extra Dave plus .. But the guitarists were well average .
    So the world tour started at Glasgow ?
    Now I am thinking of it I want to get that audio boot of the whitley show

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Thinking back I did think Dave was great ... Even extra Dave plus .. But the guitarists were well average .
    So the world tour started at Glasgow ?
    Now I am thinking of it I want to get that audio boot of the whitley show
    Yep - I walked out of that gig after a handful of songs. It just seemed like Dave was on a total downward spiral with some pick-up band. Plus it was a very bad sound mix, and I'd probably had a few too many! I always hated when bands played the SECC in Glasgow and just used standing only. It always seemed to me that bands only ever got a good sound if they erected the temporary seats to give it an arena kind of feel.

And people forget Steve Hunter played guitar on ALAE, and wasn't on the subsequent tour either - he was a guitarist with a great pedigree. One of the best guitarists of the 70s - so Dave wasn't just touring without the hotshot replacement for Vai, but without Hunter, who co-wrote a lot of songs and played guitar on the album as well.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember the gig starting flat but in my memory it definitely picked up as it went and you can see the idea from the set list above.

Towards the end Roth pulled out every novelty item in his kitbag with the boxing ring, devils pissing JD, flying surfboard and all that crap which hadn't been on the European Skyscraper tour because it had been just theatres so I think people went home happy.

It was a bit like the 2007/8 Van Halen tour whereby Dave had to really raise his game because he was carrying the whole thing himself.

As you say the sound at the SECC back in those days was not good, it seems to be better now with new technology and we are about to get a lovely new arena up here to replace it.

http://www.thehydro.com/the-hydro/about-the-hydro.aspx
    Last edited by Seshmeister; 01-16-2013 at 06:36 AM.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Now that I think back, I also remember that the UK tour was sponsored by Virgin 1215, which was an AM Radio station at the time. Dave was interviewed by one of the DJ's, who happened to be Jools Holland (a musician, well known to anyone from the UK, but maybe not well known to non-Brits), who had a mischievous sense of humour.

The interview with Dave had been trailed in advance, and at various points during the interview, Jools Holland was (supposedly) reading out questions sent in on postcards (!!) by listeners, but I suspect he was just making them up. At one point he said to DLR, something like:

"So, David, here's a question from Tracey in Essex - Jools, can you please ask Dave, who I have always fancied, what jism is?"

Dave collapses in gales of laughter and that was the end of it, I think.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I loved the alae gig , hell I loved the album to .
    I went with a couple of friends who were not really big Dave/vh fans and they were fucking knocked out by him and the boxing ring etc etc

For downward spiral see yflm tour , gig got down graded from ice rink to Newcastle city hall due to poor ticket sales on the day !?!? and I wasn't impressed by the show at all .... Am shocked even saying it .

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I remember the gig starting flat but in my memory it definitely picked up as it went and you can see the idea from the set list above.

Towards the end Roth pulled out every novelty item in his kitbag with the boxing ring, devils pissing JD, flying surfboard and all that crap which hadn't been on the European Skyscraper tour because it had been just theatres so I think people went home happy.

It was a bit like the 2007/8 Van Halen tour whereby Dave had to really raise his game because he was carrying the whole thing himself.

As you say the sound at the SECC back in those days was not good, it seems to be better now with new technology and we are about to get a lovely new arena up here to replace it.

http://www.thehydro.com/the-hydro/about-the-hydro.aspx
    I have driven past the Hydro recently, Sesh - looks good. A proper purpose built arena.

I saw the boxing ring on the Skyscraper gig in Paris in '88. I think you mentioned once before that he brought the props out at the '91 show - for the short amount of time I was there, it never seemed like there'd be anything like that.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have huge regrets over the Dave skyscraper gigs , I went to Donnington . But I wanted to go see more of the actual gigs but was fucking skint at the time ... I was using every penny I had to keep my flat I had foolishly bought above my head . I should have sold my car or a kidney or something and just Fucking went .

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

You know now you remind me I think he made them stop and restart a song at our show too.
    Perhaps, that was that tours blower rant.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Perhaps, that was that tours blower rant.
    Mmmmm at our gig he seemed really pissed off ...

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I have huge regrets over the Dave skyscraper gigs , I went to Donnington . But I wanted to go see more of the actual gigs but was fucking skint at the time ... I was using every penny I had to keep my flat I had foolishly bought above my head . I should have sold my car or a kidney or something and just Fucking went .
    I think I saw the Skyscraper tour in 5-6 places, plus Donnington - that was the year it was badly oversold and those kids got crushed to death. The Hammersmith gigs the first time around (he came back and did Wembley Arena a few months later) were hot tickets because I think initially there were only going to be to Hammersmith gigs for the whole UK. I was living in the South East at the time.

I remember standing outside the Hammy Odeon waiting for the touts to drop the prices - they were still selling tix at £100+ a go until just before the start of the gig. Think I eventually got one for £25 - this was 1988, remember ...

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn I should have gone especially when he swung back round for the second time .
    Damn me and my need for accommodation lol

YeAh 88 was the year a couple of people got crushed after than they seriously cut the numbers .

I had a tee from the gig that I wore until the cloth just became dust , it was my fav thing.

And apart from the band helloween ( think that's how it's spelt lol) The line up was pretty cool .
    Last edited by vandeleur; 01-16-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I remember this album coming out and it seems to me like it was the same day the Gulf War started or within a day of it. Someone can post and verify or discount my memory on that.
    Lady Luck was and still is my favorite song on this record.
    Was going to go see the tour but i skipped the Atlanta show due to didn't have the funds at the time and was counting on him playing Birmingham as he had done every solo tour up to then. Unfortunately, the tour was scrapped before that date. This remains the only Dave solo tour i did not see. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
    RIDE TO LIVE, LIVE TO RIDE
    LET `EM ROLL ONE MORE TIME

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    I remember this album coming out and it seems to me like it was the same day the Gulf War started or within a day of it. Someone can post and verify or discount my memory on that.
    That's a point!!!

When the Gulf War started a lot of fucking pussy American bands cancelled their European tours because they were too frightened or maybe just too fucking dumb to come within 3500 MILES of Kuwait.

Not surprisingly that caused a lot of bad feeling over here.

Dave was one of the few that didn't cancel probably because he knew a bit about fucking geography...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post

Awfully close:

ALAE goes on sale Jan. 15, 1991

U.S.-led coalition forces start bombing Iraq on evening of Jan. 17, 1991

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There had been a military build up prior to January 17th though so it seems unlikely that the release of ALAE was the only cause of the war.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There had been a military build up prior to January 17th though so it seems unlikely that the release of ALAE was the only cause of the war.
    Just six months worth....

Probably coincidental.....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Back to the album....I dug it! I thought it was a welcome change from its predecessor (Skyscraper). I thought "There we go! NOW we're cookin'"...I especially felt that way towards the last track on the album, particularly from 2:39 through the rest of the song.
    It's not a complicated piece of music, but it is so awesome...so rich and satisfying to the soul. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you're just not playing it LOUD ENOUGH).

Happy Birthday ALAE! You're my 2nd favorite Roth solo album based on this one song alone....

LOUD, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by hambon4lif View Post
    ...I thought it was a welcome change from its predecessor (Skyscraper) ...I especially felt that way towards the last track on the album, particularly from 2:39 through the rest of the song.
    Funny you should mention the change from Skyscraper and point out that particular part of the song. That lush chord progression the song rides out with bares a striking resemblance to the opening of Just Like Paradise.

Regardless, your still right! Great tune and great CD.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Drop in the Bucket" fucking rules.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @