Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Armstrong denies new doping charges;

AUSTIN, Texas—
    Lance Armstrong is facing more doping allegations just a few months after he thought he had finally put them to rest.

Although federal investigators in February closed a two-year investigation without bringing criminal charges, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has filed new doping charges that could strip the seven-time Tour de France winner of his victories in cycling's premier race.

Armstrong insists he is innocent.

"I have never doped, and, unlike many of my accusers, I have competed as an endurance athlete for 25 years with no spike in performance, passed more than 500 drug tests and never failed one," Armstrong said in a statement. "Any fair consideration of these allegations has and will continue to vindicate me."

The move by USADA immediately bans him from competing in triathlons, which he turned to after he retired from cycling last year.

Armstrong has been dogged by doping allegations since his first Tour victory in 1999, but had hoped his fight to be viewed as a clean champion was finally won after federal prosecutors closed their probe. Armstrong has said the investigation took a heavy emotional toll and he was relieved when it ended.

But USADA officials insisted they would continue to pursue their investigation into Armstrong and his former teams and doctors, and notified him of the charges in a 15-page letter on Tuesday. Unlike federal prosecutors, USADA isn't burdened by proving a crime occurred, just that there was use of performance-enhancing drugs.

In its letter, USADA said its investigation included evidence dating to 1996. It also included the new charge that Armstrong blood samples taken in 2009 and 2010 are "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions." Armstrong came out of his first retirement to race in the Tour de France those two years.

Armstrong, who was in France training for a triathlon, dismissed the latest allegations as "baseless" and "motivated by spite."

Even though he last won the Tour seven years ago, the 40-year-old Armstrong remains a popular -- if polarizing -- figure, partly because of his charity work for cancer patients.

Since he first retired after the 2005 Tour de France, Armstrong has often said he was tired of fighting doping claims only to vigorously battle to clear his name. He spent millions assembling a legal team during the criminal investigation.

In the months since the criminal probe ended, Armstrong has said he would not worry about a USADA investigation and that he's done "wasting" time answering doping questions.

Anti-doping officials, however, kept pressing their case and finally laid out the charges in the letter.

The USADA letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press, accuses Armstrong of using and promoting the use of the blood booster EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone, human growth hormone and anti-inflammatory steroids. The letter doesn't cite specific examples, but says the charges are based on evidence gathered in an investigation of Armstrong's teams, including interviews with witnesses who aren't named.

USADA's letter said the agency was also bringing doping charges against Johan Bruyneel, manager of Armstrong's winning teams; team doctors Pedro Celaya and Luis Garcia del Moral; team trainer Pepe Marti, and consulting doctor Michele Ferrari.

No one answered the phone at the home of Ferrari in Ferrara, northern Italy. Ferrari's lawyer, Dario Bolognesi, said he was unaware of the USADA action and had no immediate comment.

Garcia del Moral's office told The AP in Spain that he would not comment on the charges. Celaya, who is currently on Radioshack's medical staff, was unreachable for comment.

Marti also has connections to another high-profile doping case. He was Alberto Contador's team coach through 2010, when the Spaniard was found to have used performance enhancing substances to win the Tour de France for a third time.

In February, Contador was stripped of his 2010 title after losing a drawn-out court battle with the International Cycling Union and World Anti-Doping Agency. The ruling came just three days after U.S. federal prosecutors dropped a doping investigation involving Armstrong. The American was a teammate of Contador during the Spaniard's 2009 Tour victory.

Contador's spokesman said the Spanish rider no longer worked with Marti and that their previous relationship was limited to being teammates.

"This is a coincidence of him (Contador) being on the teams for which he (Marti) worked," Jacinto Vidarte told The Associated Press. "It has nothing to do with what has happened. That period of when he was with the team is over."

Cycling's governing body, the International Cycling Union, which collected the 2009 and 2010 samples cited in the USADA letter, said it was not involved in the anti-doping group's investigation.

According to USADA's letter, more than 10 cyclists as well as team employees will testify they either saw Armstrong dope or heard him tell them he used EPO, blood transfusions, testosterone and cortisone from 1996 to 2005. Armstrong won the Tour de France every year from 1999-2005.

During their investigation, federal prosecutors subpoenaed Armstrong supporters and ex-teammates to testify in Los Angeles. One of the most serious accusations came during a "60 Minutes" interview when former teammate Tyler Hamilton said he saw Armstrong use EPO during the 1999 Tour de France and in preparation for the 2000 and 2001 tours.

Early in the criminal investigation, Armstrong attorney's accused USADA of offering cyclists a "sweetheart deal" if they would testify or provide evidence against Armstrong.

In a letter to USADA last week, Armstrong attorney Robert Luskin noted that USADA Chief Executive Officer Travis Tygart participated in witness interviews with federal investigator Jeff Novitzky during the criminal probe.

"It is a vendetta, which has nothing to do with learning the truth and everything to do with settling a score and garnering publicity at Lance's expense," Luskin wrote.

In a statement, Tygart said, "USADA only initiates matters supported by the evidence. We do not choose whether or not we do our job based on outside pressures, intimidation or for any reason other than the evidence."

Armstrong has until June 22 to file a written response to the charges. The case could ultimately go before an arbitration panel to consider evidence. The USADA letter said in that case a hearing should be expected by November.

Link

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Damn. How many hardest bike races in the world did he win in a fucking row? He was Superman. This sucks either way. Either he juiced and it will kill that whole great story. or he didn't juice but the thought & doubts are already implanted into everyones mind and it kills that whole great story. No winner here.

*I think he probably juiced up. Just my $0.02
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

fourthcoming
    Way too much smoke around this dude for almost the last 10 years for there to not be a fire. Lance Bonds.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthcoming View Post
    Way too much smoke around this dude for almost the last 10 years for there to not be a fire. Lance Bonds.
    Really? From who? The French becasue an American kept winning their race? Consider the source my friend.
    Roth Army Canada

fourthcoming
    True true.....and Fuck the French by the way....I'm not hoping the rumors are true.....but this story never seems to go away.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Trust me this witch-hunt is 100% from French officials who have made it their life's purpose to discredit Lance.

He owned that race and they can't get over it. He has passed everything. Who knows whether these decade or more old samples haven't been somehow doctored...is the new "evidence" saying that he may have had a blood transfusion? Seems pretty weak to me

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I love how the artice claims that the "USADA only initiates matters supported by the evidence. We do not choose whether or not we do our job based on outside pressures, intimidation or for any reason other than the evidence."

Give me a break...everyone and their mother is looking for the future book deal, etc.

This is pretty sad. How much has Lance had to spend defending himself and yet has passed every doping test. Insanity.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cycling is about as useless a spectator sport as NASCAR.

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    They are pretty similar...the only time you see them is when there is an accident

fourthcoming
    I would have to agree with both of you gentleman on that one.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I got to see the late great George Carlin live a few years back. He came right out on stage and said,"Fuck Dr. Phil!" The audience roared with approval and then he said,"and while I'm at it fuck Lance Armstong!" "Fuck him. Fuck his bicycles and his balls. I'm tired of having the media tell me the guy is God and fuck the media because I want to choose my own heros. I'm tired of a bunch of overpaid media whores telling me who my heros should be." You had to be there because it was just funny because this huge audience was roaring in approval. We all knew Dr. Phil and Lance Armstrong were a bunch of overhyped phonies.

For the record. More juicing goes on than people ever would admit because of all the money involved in sports today and the pressure to perform. Like anything else in this world, greed has crept in to unhealthy levels of insanity.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    I love how the artice claims that the "USADA only initiates matters supported by the evidence. We do not choose whether or not we do our job based on outside pressures, intimidation or for any reason other than the evidence."

Give me a break...everyone and their mother is looking for the future book deal, etc.

This is pretty sad. How much has Lance had to spend defending himself and yet has passed every doping test. Insanity.
    Maybe it should be the USDA saying there are no steroids in this piece of meat.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just allow the damn steroids if you can't detect it...how about Usain Bolt? Is he clean or will find out in ten years or so.....
    Now who`s that babe with the fab-u-lous shad-ow?

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeo Delight View Post
    Trust me this witch-hunt is 100% from French officials who have made it their life's purpose to discredit Lance.

He owned that race and they can't get over it.

Yeah. Now when you think of the Tour De France you think of Lance Armstrong. It used to be you thought of the beautiful mountain roads in France and maybe, if you paid much attention & were a fan, you thought of a couple french or spanish riders that had won it 4-5 times each. Not the dreaded Americans.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Yeah. Now when you think of the Tour De France you think of Lance Armstrong. It used to be you thought of the beautiful mountain roads in France and maybe, if you paid much attention & were a fan, you thought of a couple french or spanish riders that had won it 4-5 times each. Not the dreaded Americans.
    never mind the tour, I still look at the mountain roads and landscape

Frontline Voice of Reason
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by BITEYOASS View Post
    Not if you cycle yourself. You begin to appreciate the hard work and determination it takes to excel.

Sheep Pen Kiwi
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fucking Cheat.
    First Roth Army Kiwi To See Van Halen Live 6/16/2012 Phoenix Arizona.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In the last couple of years now that they have clamped down on drugs all the times in the Tour De France have been significantly slower and within feasible human limits.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    In the last couple of years now that they have clamped down on drugs all the times in the Tour De France have been significantly slower and within feasible human limits.
    It's difficult to conclude either way.

Think about Ben Jonson, who ran the 100m at 9.79 when doped to the eyeballs. Guys can do that now without doping because of the advances in sport science, and because of unique individuals. But it works the other way, too. The British 400m, for instance, haven't produced an athlete who can match what Roger Black and Euan Thomas were doing 15 years ago - you don't conclude from that that those guys were doping, merely that there's been a dip in the talent pool in recent years.

With cycling, it could be that doping explains the changes. Or, it could be a dip in the talent; or, given that this is cycling outdoors, that the conditions were adverse in recent years. Without data over very long periods of time it is hard to be conclusive - the numbers of people involved is too small, as is the number of races, to do otherwise.

But conclusions aside, all of this talk about doping soils the enjoyment of sport considerably, IMO.
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A few years old but still applies...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog...nships-records

Women at the World Athletics Championships are competing in the shadow of a murky past but deserve more acclaim

Sanya Richards' best at 400m iis still 1.10sec slower than Marita Koch's in 1985. Photograph: Hannibal Hanschke/EPA
    It was an enduring image: Usain Bolt, centre stage, at the Jamaican team press conference in Beijing, while squeezed to one side were his female Olympic gold medal winning team-mates. A thousand camera flashes illuminated the triple world record holder's grin as the women were comprehensively ignored.

Pursing their lips, Shelly-Ann Fraser, Veronica Campbell-Brown and Melaine Walker had been here before. Yes, Bolt's achievements were extraordinary, but for the female athletes the dynamics were all too familiar.

So why are women so routinely consigned to the bottom of the page? When she was finally given the microphone, Campbell-Brown bravely broached the issue.

"It's a touchy subject, but if I should be honest, I really believe men get more attention in this sport. It's based on the fact that the world record in the 100m and 200m for men is reachable. For me, my PRs [personal records] are 10.85[sec] and 21.74[sec], which I just accomplished here and I only ran that once. It is hard for me to even think about the world record."

Why so? Because since Florence Griffith-Joyner's 1988 world records in the 100m and 200m, no female sprinter has come anywhere near breaking them – not even a drug-fuelled Marion Jones. Meanwhile, in the men's sprints, the 100m world record has been broken 11 times in the past two decades. With Fraser and Walker nodding in unison, Campbell-Brown spelled out the awkward truth.

"It is beyond my reach. The 200m world record is 21.34[sec] and the 100m record is 10.49[sec]. How many females have even run 10.6[sec] in the past 20 years since Flo Jo set that record?" Actually the only other woman to run a 10.6sec time was Jones, ahead of the Sydney Olympics, but after admitting that she took performance-enhancing drugs in 2007, that mark was swiftly erased.

"It's disappointing to not get the respect that the males do," Campbell-Brown said, "because they are capable of breaking the record and people are excited to see them run because they know the possibility of breaking the record is close. I don't have that luxury."

The problem is not unique to the sprints. With 13 women's world records in the Olympic track and field events still standing from the 1980s – all before the introduction of mandatory random drug testing in 1989 – some feel that a clean athlete will never be able to surpass those marks.

Compare that to the men's events, in which only the hammer and the discus world records date back to the 1980s, and the opportunities for male and female athletes could not be more different.

The frustrations are obvious. How can it be that no contemporary athlete has managed to get within the same second as Jarmila Kratochvilova's 1983 mark in the 800m? Why is Sanya Richards' best – the fastest 400m runner in over a decade – still 1.10sec slower than Marita Koch's effort in 1985? Why is the legendary Carolina Kluft's best score in the heptathlon 259 points behind the world record set in 1988 by Jackie Joyner-Kersee?

There are no easy answers. Flo Jo and the others never failed a drugs test, but the flamboyant American's achievements were dogged by rumour and suspicion as critics whispered about increased muscle tone, an elongated jawline, a deeper voice, a hasty retirement and death by heart seizure aged just 38.

So why the discrepancy between the sexes? We know that doping has a greater effect on women than on men. Victor Conte, the man behind the Balco laboratory, explains. "Steroids can help a female sprinter to lower her 100m time by about four tenths of a second or four metres faster," he says. "The effects of steroids upon male 100m sprinters are about two tenths of a second or two metres faster."

But perhaps unattainable records are not the only problem. Even in the days when women were breaking sprint records they still didn't get the headlines of their male counterparts. Some may argue that personality is as much a part of the equation – and Bolt's celebration dances certainly add weight to that theory – but Flo Jo ran in one-legged fuchsia tracksuits with six-inch nails, so why were her achievements so often overshadowed by the rivalry between Ben Johnson and Carl Lewis?

The media have a major part to play. Britain's 17-year-old Shaunna Thompson, who won double gold in the sprints at the Commonwealth Youth Games last year, says she sometimes struggles to recall who won the women's 100m at major championships.

"That's one of my events and even I'm forgetting sometimes! People know all the men, but sometimes the women get forgotten about. If Usain Bolt is all you hear about on TV then that sticks in peoples' heads. No one's saying Shelly-Ann Fraser, so everyone's like who's Shelly-Ann Fraser?" But with promoters consistently billing the men's sprints as the blue riband event, the idea that women's events don't deserve prime-time exposure is simply reinforced.

At the root of it all lies one question: is the fastest man in the world intrinsically more interesting than the fastest woman? Some people argue that the fastest time on the clock equals the biggest achievement, but with most people outside the athletics world incapable of quoting world record times, this theory doesn't add up. Surely the value of a race should be based on a combination of several factors – records, profile, the events of the race itself and personality. But with at least two of these four elements still out of reach for most female athletes, sadly we are unlikely to witness a female Bolt any time soon.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    It's difficult to conclude either way.
    Not really, you can tell by blood tests.

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/...gs-120629.html

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    Not really, you can tell by blood tests.

http://news.discovery.com/adventure/...gs-120629.html
    Surely they were testing all of the riders during the period when the times were higher?

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yes that's why we know the blood counts have gone down.

I think they just couldn't prove the mechanism.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Remember those huge swim bots? Whoahh.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Fucking Aye RIGHT! FUCK DR. PHIL TOO!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Welp, it looks like the death of another legend...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

aww...I miss Carlin

But the last several years of his life he wasn't as funny as the old days. He was really just angry. Or maybe he saw that's what the audience responded to and went with it the whole show? I don't know. He used to make himself laugh in his shows, near the end he was just an angry old man and never cracked a smile.

But he wasn't scared. And that's exactly what Lance is. Sure Lance is awesome for coming back from cancer and doing what he did. Hell, just competing 7 times in the tour de france is a feat of strength. To win it? Even if he doped, and beat a bunch of fellow dopers, it's amazing what he did. Out of all the dopers he was the best LOL! No other dopers have won it 7 times in a row. Especially not after nearly dying from cancer.

Yeah, fuck Lance Armstrong. And fuck Mark McGwire. But during their runs I was captivated and wouldn't trade those times back. awesome!

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The ICU has just stripped Armstrong from his 7 Tours de France.

Now those are a bunch of fucking hypocrites - officials, as well as the media, above all -, who know it well that professional cycling
    (and athletics, and most sports) has long (if not always) been working on dope...
    Didn't they already know about Armstrong as soon as he came back in the late 90s and became unbeatable for 7 Tours from '99 to
    2005? Just as they knew that no cycling champion could run on clear water (as 5-time French winner Bernard Hinault said in the early
    1980s) - damned! even regional races are run on dope...
    Federations, organizers and the media are a bunch of fucking hypocrites! They all are aware of how things go, and any time an athlete
    is caught on dope they will pretend to be surprised and point at the black sheep who in reality is no darker than any of the others...

So far, I'd had the feeling that the fierceness against Armstrong was unfair, because he had won all those titles while the cycling world,
    the sports world in general even, and the media all knew precisely about how cycling races went.
    Now they are all lynching him cowardly - why don't they recognize the truth? They would not necessarily lose face more than by continuing
    denial.
    All right, Armstrong and his peers, Bolt and his pursuers, and their colleagues in other sports are hard workers nonetheless, they keep training
    like mad all year... But honesty would command to admit it publicly that sportsmen are "helped" - who wouldn't understand that cycling around
    France or the USA (even more so) is kind of superhuman, even for supertrained athletes?...

Does the ICU honestly believe the 2nd behind Armstrong (and the 3rd, the 4th, the 5th and so on...) were clean??....

And what about Indurain (who was apparently an exceptional athlete with a lung capacity that was twice as large as
    normal, but was surely not running on Evian) for example?

Fuck the ICU and sports media.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I watch big sports events now and then - the Olympic Games, the World Championships of athletics even, the soccer World Cup
    and the Rugby World Cup or the 6 Nations Tournament, but I'm no dupe, it all smells of doping to me...

Back in 1994 or 95, I read a two-page article about the Aussie rugby team in French sports (toilet-) paper "L'Equipe". They clearly stated
    that the Aussie players who had come to France for a series of test matches had literally metamorphosed since the year before, as creatine
    was allowed by the Australian federation - and those of the Southern hemisphere -, which use had the players gain a mass of muscles that
    was impossible to gain without it (they wrote that 4 kilos in a year was a maximum with hard training only)... It was the beginning of professional
    rugby, in the mid-90s.
    Once the French team could use it (or something else...), any criticism of that kind was over in that rag... and as French rugby players changed physiologies,
    everything was all right again in the rugby world for them...

Fucking media...

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I haven't read everything but here is myop ...DAMMIT.

I don't like the idea of steroids or meth or whattever drug these athletes use....BUT!!

I do like the idea of what I have always called Blood Dopeing...you exersize real hard on oxygen then the docs pull a pint of your blood out of your body and freez it.

They have been wise to this long before the press was in the 80's.

Then before a competition you put the blood back in and you have super blood extra blood with no drugs,.

I guess it is still wrong but to me it is more like another secret play in the playbook...nothing other than your body and it's parts..lol.

Dopeing or drugs the will and stamina and drive of Armstrong is unreal.

I mean Pete Rose still won all those titles even though he bet baseball...baddass but played the edge I guess.
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Rumors about Armstrong admitting his drugging are rife...

Skills That Thrill
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.azfamily.com/news/NY-Time...185724382.html

I saw that? Why would he want to continue with his athletic career?
    After 7 Tour de France titles you wonder what is left.. at his age?
    ROTHARMY.COM WEBMASTER AND FOUNDER
    The Diamond David Lee Roth Army

MY GROUPS ON ROTHARMY.COM
    [Fender Custom Shop Owners Club]

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I didn't read the article yet, but I know Lance is like a bunch of athletes that run triathlons after they retire for shits-and-giggles. I think one of his friends is former Islander/Sabre/Ranger center Pat Lafontaine...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Actually I thought he might come out and drop some shells implicating cycling as a whole for having to have known about extensive doping...

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Rumors about Armstrong admitting his drugging are rife...

My bet is these rumors are well timed & planned by him and a publicist/pr person to test the waters and see what the public reaction would be to him coming clean. Personally I don't care & hope he denies it to the grave. I wish mark McGwire would have done the same. No matter what he was on, that summer chase of Roger Marris was pure magic.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...doping-winfrey

Lance Armstrong 'comes clean' in Oprah Winfrey interview to doping past

Cyclist apparently disarmed US presenter with his candour and willingness to confess in two-and-a-half-hour recording

After years of furious denials and a policy of omerta that kept the lid on a sophisticated cheating conspiracy for more than a decade, Lance Armstrong has finally admitted his doping past in a televised interview with Oprah Winfrey, according to the US presenter.

The cyclist, stripped of seven Tour de France titles after a United States Anti-Doping Agency (Usada) report placed him at the heart of the "most sophisticated, professional and successful doping programme sport has ever seen", apparently disarmed Winfrey with his candour and his willingness to confess.

"He did not come clean in the manner I expected. I was surprised," Winfrey told CBS after she had recorded the two-and-a-half-hour interview and flown from Austin, Texas to Chicago with the tapes in her bag alongside her "dog food and dog leashes".

There had been fears that Winfrey, who has known Armstrong for a long time and interviewed him several times, would give the Texan an easy ride. But she insisted she had been fully prepared and had drawn up 112 questions, having carefully read Usada's 202-page judgment and the books of the Sunday Times journalist David Walsh, who has pursued Armstrong for more than a decade.

"There were a couple of times when he was emotional but emotional doesn't begin to describe the intensity or difficulty he experienced in talking about some of these things," said Winfrey, for whom the interview is a coup as she tries to establish her Oprah Winfrey Network channel.

"For myself, my team, we were mesmerised and riveted by some of his answers," said Winfrey, who conducted the interview in a sparse hotel room after the intended location at Armstrong's house was besieged by news crews.

She said it was "certainly the biggest interview I've ever done in terms of its exposure".

The presenter, who claimed the material was so good that it would now be broadcast over two days rather than one from Thursday night in the US, said Armstrong was also well prepared. "Most of the important questions that many people around the world wanted to hear were answered. I was satisfied with the answers," she said. "I thought he was thoughtful, he was serious. He had certainly prepared himself for this moment. He met the moment. At the end of this, we were both pretty exhausted."

Winfrey's promotion took place as more details emerged of Armstrong's strategy to mitigate the fallout from a lifetime ban that has excluded him not only from cycling but from all sport worldwide.

The Usada chief executive, Travis Tygart, told the Guardian last month that one of his greatest regrets was that Armstrong did not come clean when he had the chance, while its investigation was under way. Instead, he refused to co-operate and his lawyers attacked Usada. The Wall Street Journal reported that he met Tygart in December to explore whether his ban could be reduced if he testified against others, allowing him to compete in elite triathlon events. But, according to the paper, the meeting ended with a frustrated Armstrong firing an expletive at Tygart and storming off. He later met Winfrey in Hawaii, where they both have houses, over the Christmas holidays to finalise the terms of their interview.

Lance Armstrong calm and relaxed before Oprah Winfrey interview says AP reporter — video Link to this video
    The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada), which ratified Usada's decision to ban Armstrong for life and strip him of all his titles, said on Tuesday that unless Armstrong made a full confession under oath and told the anti-doping authorities all he knew there would be no chance of his ban being reduced. "While Wada encourages all athletes to come clean about any doping activities they have been involved with or know about, these details must be passed on to the relevant anti-doping authorities," said its director general, David Howman.

"Only when Mr Armstrong makes a full confession under oath – and tells the anti-doping authorities all he knows about doping activities – can any legal and proper process for him to seek any reopening or reconsideration of his lifetime ban commence."

Since Usada published its "reasoned decision" in October, ratified some weeks later by cycling's much criticised global governing body, the UCI, Armstrong has been deserted by a succession of high-profile supporters and sponsors, including Nike, and lost millions of pounds' worth of endorsements.

He has also stepped down from his position as chairman of Livestrong, the charity he established to help fellow sufferers after overcoming testicular cancer. Earlier this week, he apologised personally to staff.Attention is now likely to turn to whether Armstrong will implicate anyone else. Most of the cyclists involved have already confessed to doping and testified against him, but unanswered questions remain around the role of the UCI.

It has admitted accepting $125,000 (£78,000) in donations from Armstrong but has strenuously denied that they were linked to any attempt to cover up a failed drug test at the 2001 Tour of Switzerland, a claim made by witnesses in the Usada report.

It said on Tuesday that it would not comment until the interview had aired in full but that Armstrong should speak to the independent commission chaired by Sir Philip Otton that it has set up to look into the allegations if he had anything to add.

"The UCI notes the media speculation surrounding the interview and reports that he has finally come clean and admitted doping during his cycling career," said a UCI spokesman. "If these reports are true, we would strongly urge Lance Armstrong to testify to the Independent Commission established to investigate the allegations made against the UCI in the recent Usada reasoned decision on Lance Armstrong and the United States Postal Service (USPS) team."

Meanwhile, the US justice department is considering joining a federal whistleblower lawsuit filed in 2010 by Armstrong's former team-mate Floyd Landis to recover some of the $30.4m invested by US Postal in sponsoring his team.

The contract had a specific clause forbidding the use of performance-enhancing drugs. Coincidentally, the US justice department has until Thursday to decide whether to join the suit. The Sunday Times is also taking action against Armstrong in a bid to recover libel damages paid out when it accused him of doping and a string of other law suits could follow if he confesses.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's really big here is speculation that Armstrong might testify against the UCI, the International Union of Cycling, for basically turning a blind eye towards doping and essentially condoning it despite all of the testing. They're a bunch of whores that threatened Tour winner Greg Lemond (no friend of Armstrong) after he called them "corrupt."...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, stories are coming out fast and furious about not only the doping, but about what a massive cunt Armstrong is...

hitchworld1969
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Lance Armstrong Oprah Confession

Liar! Liar!

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzmWQIKQnOc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yzmWQIKQnOc?hl=en_US&amp;version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Thread Information