Thread: Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Big brother to log your drinking habits and waist size...

JACK DOYLE

GPs are to be forced to hand over confidential records on all their patients’ drinking habits, waist sizes and illnesses.

The files will be stored in a giant information bank that privacy campaigners say represents the ‘biggest data grab in NHS history’.

They warned the move would end patient confidentiality and hand personal information to third parties.

But Ross Anderson, professor of security engineering at Cambridge University, said: ‘Under these proposals, medical confidentiality is, in effect, dead and there is currently nobody standing in the way.’ Nick Pickles, of the privacy group Big Brother Watch, said NHS managers would now be in charge of our most confidential information.

He added: ‘It is unbelievable how little the public is being told about what is going on, while GPs are being strong-armed into handing over details about their patients and to not make a fuss.

‘Not only have the public not been told what is going on, none of us has been asked to give our permission for this to happen.’

The data grab is part of Everyone Counts, a programme to extend the availability of patient data across the Health Service.

Campaigners for privacy: They warn the move would end patient confidentiality and hand personal information to third parties

GPs will be required to send monthly updates on their patients to a central database run by the NHS’s Health and Social Care Information Centre.

Health chiefs will be able to demand information on every patient, such as why they have been referred to a consultant. Another arm of the NHS will supply data on patient prescriptions.

In a briefing for GPs, health chiefs admit that ‘patient identifiable components’ will be demanded, including post code and date of birth.

NHS officials insist the information centre will be a ‘safe haven’ for personal data, which will be deleted soon after it is received.

The information will be used to analyse demand for services and improve treatment.

But a document outlining the scheme even raises the prospect of clinical data being passed on or sold to third parties.

It states: ‘The patient identifiable components will not be released outside the safe haven except as permitted by the Data Protection Act.

‘HSCIC ... will store the data and link it only where approved and necessary, ensuring that patient confidentiality is protected.’

Personal: The data collected includes pulse rate, weight, cholesterol levels, body mass index, family health history, alcohol and smoking status

Patients will not be able to opt out of the system.

Before the election the Tories condemned the creation of huge databases – including the controversial NHS IT project – and insisted it would roll back ‘Labour’s database state’.

But last month, in the first sign of a dramatic shift away from this position, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt said he wanted millions of private medical records to be stored and shared between hospitals, GPs, care homes and even local councils. He sold the programme as part of plans for a ‘paperless NHS’ by 2018 and claimed ‘thousands of lives’ would be saved.

But details of the changes have raised serious concerns among civil liberties and privacy campaigners, as well as health professionals. Last night GPs’ leaders said the latest proposals were too broad.

‘Patients must be given the option to opt out of any scheme that seeks to transfer identifiable information about them from their records to another source,’ said a BMA spokesman.

‘This opt-out should be widely advertised and explained in order that patients are reassured and understand the process being carried out.’

Phil Booth of the campaign group NO2ID said an unprecedented volume of data would be ‘sucked up’.
    ‘People have to trust in the notion of medical confidentiality. They expect to be able to talk in confidence to their GP,’ he said.

‘They don’t expect their private conversations to be uploaded on to a national database where they will be made available for any number of purposes for the benefit of persons unknown.’

A spokesman for the NHS said last night: ‘The NHS constitution makes clear what information can be used for by the NHS and this proposal complies exactly with that.’

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's a daily mail article .... Tory racist scare monger of a tabloid
    fuck your fucking framing

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And a massive distortion of the truth akin to a "red herring." One would think some dolt who worked in the medical industry would grasp the need to modernize patient records. Drinking habits and weight are generally part of that. Some meds interact with alcohol. Some people drink from when they wake up 'til they go to bed. Doctors should probably know that when prescribing meds...

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Big brother must have pretty pathetic life to care about my drinking habits... :-/ (cause I assume we have the same big brother )
    Last edited by envy_me; 02-02-2013 at 12:35 PM.
    The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Big Brother doesn't need to be armed with all of your personal information...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If "Big Brother" wants to know what I drink, just consult the Beercyclopedia. It's right there for the whole goddamned world to see.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    If "Big Brother" wants to know what I drink, just consult the Beercyclopedia. It's right there for the whole goddamned world to see.
    LMFAO!!! Right? Who cares...

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The last time I went to the doctor they had me fill out a sheet asking all about my drinking and smoking habits. Drug use too. I lied. They should have simply asked what websites do you frequent?
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    The last time I went to the doctor they had me fill out a sheet asking all about my drinking and smoking habits. Drug use too. I lied. They should have simply asked what websites do you frequent?
    Well, now that's different. Your doctor could have legitimate medical reasons for asking for such information. Drug interactions and all that sort of thing. Which Elvis, as an ex-nurse is well aware of, though he chose to view the story through his Alex Jones conspiracy tinted glasses.

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, the way doctors are today, I just google what ever the problem is, find out myself, go there and tell them what I need and if they think it's fair (which they always do) they just give it to me. I don't trust them, they rather not deal with me (or anybody)... Works great.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, I understand why they were asking. Definitely legitimate reasons. It's what the gubment does with the info that's the issue. I have a routine visit coming up and if they ask about my guns I am immediately coming home and fashioning a tin foil hat!

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DONNIEP View Post
    No, I understand why they were asking. Definitely legitimate reasons. It's what the gubment does with the info that's the issue. I have a routine visit coming up and if they ask about my guns I am immediately coming home and fashioning a tin foil hat!
    Unless you walk in with gunshot wounds, I don't see why guns should be part of the medical discussion.

The only reason guns should have any connection to a medical database is when it comes to mental health issues, which should be sufficient reason to prevent someone from buying a gun.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And I completely agree with that - if it can keep a looney from getting a gun I'm all for it.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    UK Govt advice for alcohol intake is:
    Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week, no more than four units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

Thats lesss than 10 pints a week.
    Wonder how many of us stuck to that .

I went to the doctors recently for some blood tests and lied about my intake and he still freaked out on me .......

Stopping drinking wont make you live longer but it will sure fucking feel like it

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by envy_me View Post
    Big brother must have pretty pathetic life to care about my drinking habits... :-/ (cause I assume we have the same big brother )
    I thought you stayed sober because your room mate guzzles all the Ouzo before you have a chance to get any.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    Unless you walk in with gunshot wounds, I don't see why guns should be part of the medical discussion.

The only reason guns should have any connection to a medical database is when it comes to mental health issues, which should be sufficient reason to prevent someone from buying a gun.
    Issues with your love gun will probably be in the medical records.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    Men should drink no more than 21 units of alcohol per week, no more than four units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

Thats lesss than 10 pints a week.
    Wonder how many of us stuck to that .

I went to the doctors recently for some blood tests and lied about my intake and he still freaked out on me .......

Stopping drinking wont make you live longer but it will sure fucking feel like it
    People are nuts. They complain constantly that life sucks and the world is going to shit but yet they want to live as long as possible. I say just stomp down on the gas, rev the fucking engine past red line, hit the Nitro button and enjoy the short ride before the big fatal crash.

Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-02-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Balls to the wall!! Somebody pass me a cigarette and a beer!!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I thought you stayed sober because your room mate guzzles all the Ouzo before you have a chance to get any.
    I drink other stuff. God, she can drink the Ouzo....

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ouzo brings happiness into people's lives.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vandeleur View Post
    I think they maybe upped it to 28 but there is no scientific basis for these numbers, they just grab them out the air.

There was a big Scandinavian survey years ago which found the mortality rates for teetotal people was the same as that for people who drank up to 70 units.

That said people that drank a little lived longer than both.

I guess it all depends on the years you are losing. If you miss out on 3 years shitting yourself daily in a retirement home and you don't know where you are then is that worth giving up booze for?

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    I think they maybe upped it to 28 but there is no scientific basis for these numbers, they just grab them out the air.

There was a big Scandinavian survey years ago which found the mortality rates for teetotal people was the same as that for people who drank up to 70 units.

That said people that drank a little lived longer than both.

I guess it all depends on the years you are losing. If you miss out on 3 years shitting yourself daily in a retirement home and you don't know where you are then is that worth giving up booze for?
    I agree. But I do think one needs to care of the liver, which is easy to do. Taking or eating a fair amount of turmeric before drinking can block the worst effects of alcohol and milk thistle supplements have been shown to help boost liver function and help it recover. And taking a day or two off from drinking is not a bad idea...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-02-2013 at 09:12 PM.

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The problem like most health things is that it's a lottery.

Some people just totally get away with it and others don't.

Winston Churchill probably drank more than 30 units a day and lived to 90 and was a pretty high achiever.

The horrible thing about booze is that very often you don't know you have been one of the unlucky people until it's too late as you can fuck yourself up without any immediate symptoms...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    The problem like most health things is that it's a lottery.

Some people just totally get away with it and others don't.

Winston Churchill probably drank more than 30 units a day and lived to 90 and was a pretty high achiever.

The horrible thing about booze is that very often you don't know you have been one of the unlucky people until it's too late as you can fuck yourself up without any immediate symptoms...
    Not to mention he was overweight, out of shape, probably ate poorly and smoked cigars.

Someone should market a Winston Churchill health plan. It involves smoking cigars, drinking lots of Johnny Walker Black, eating big steaks, and doing very little activity and never giving up.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If you are 50 years old and are still doing this type of thing well you might need to grow up a little.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I would make alcohol illegal if I were King lol!

Maybe people should have to register as drinkers and sign for their alcohol purchase like a prescription drug & bars should have to swipe their card for every round - when pulled over a leo would be able to see how much alcohol was purchased by that person, that day =) !!

Alcohol is a horrible drug - very few people use it responsibly - & if ya ask any leo when they pull over a drunk driver how many drinks the typical drunk says they had before driving , it is usually 2

If the majority of drinkers did have 1 or 2 drinks when they went out or after diner I may feel different , but from what I have seen, once the 1st drink is consumed, people drink the rest of the day / night

Obesity - omg - amazing how sensitive fat people get about their weight - ya can't get fat unless ya put the calories in your mouth, simple as that ... I love it when people get defensive about their weight - well it was the holidays, or I have a slow metabolism .. lol ! your FAT!! eat less and exercise SOME ! hahaha !!! fat children = lazy parents pacifying the kid with food

I liked Obamacare when it contained a public option, the current model is a travesty- it does nothing to challenge the double digit health insurance rate increases that have been annual for over a decade and are probably the biggest reason for wage stagnation, employers cannot afford to increase wages and increase contribution to health care - too bad Hillary was vilified when Bill was President for trying to takle HC costs, and Obamacare got people frenzied to the point of supporting the current system which is hurting the middle class wages while the poorest have medicaid and the well off don't have to care about health premiums - the working poor are the most screwed of all - working too much for medicaid, too little to afford private health insurance coverage ..

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Interesting the UK has that "Big Brother" thing too...
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Headly1984 View Post
    I would make alcohol illegal if I were King lol!

Maybe people should have to register as drinkers and sign for their alcohol purchase like a prescription drug & bars should have to swipe their card for every round - when pulled over a leo would be able to see how much alcohol was purchased by that person, that day =) !!

Alcohol is a horrible drug - very few people use it responsibly - & if ya ask any leo when they pull over a drunk driver how many drinks the typical drunk says they had before driving , it is usually 2

If the majority of drinkers did have 1 or 2 drinks when they went out or after diner I may feel different , but from what I have seen, once the 1st drink is consumed, people drink the rest of the day / night

Obesity - omg - amazing how sensitive fat people get about their weight - ya can't get fat unless ya put the calories in your mouth, simple as that ... I love it when people get defensive about their weight - well it was the holidays, or I have a slow metabolism .. lol ! your FAT!! eat less and exercise SOME ! hahaha !!! fat children = lazy parents pacifying the kid with food

I liked Obamacare when it contained a public option, the current model is a travesty- it does nothing to challenge the double digit health insurance rate increases that have been annual for over a decade and are probably the biggest reason for wage stagnation, employers cannot afford to increase wages and increase contribution to health care - too bad Hillary was vilified when Bill was President for trying to takle HC costs, and Obamacare got people frenzied to the point of supporting the current system which is hurting the middle class wages while the poorest have medicaid and the well off don't have to care about health premiums - the working poor are the most screwed of all - working too much for medicaid, too little to afford private health insurance coverage ..
    Yeah, and that guy who went into a school and killed all those kids with alcohol, er....

Thread Information