Thread: Mad Anthony's Express

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Mad Anthony's Express

Ya know... I gotta say, even with some of Mike's occasional tone deafness peppered throughout, this actually doesn't sound half bad. His playing's pretty tight too.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Awesome bass and nice lead break...

Anthonys vocals only sound in tune in his super high range...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    Anthonys vocals only sound in tune in his super high range...
    Good point. Very little control of his mid range.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's some jammin' bass though...

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not bad, cool bass work, and the dude does a good job with the solo...

Best part? No Spammy.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    Good point. Very little control of his mid range.
    Hagar had difficulty singing Dave's tunes, too - it was too out of the normal range he sang in, so he could never do 'em. Listen to him trying to sing ATBL or Panama (if you dare risk your ears) - he just can't convey the essential Daveness that is the character in DLR's voice. The phrasing, the little vocal touches and ad-libs.

People who equate singing with castrato wailing or that awful warbling that seems to have beset a generation of so-called 'R'n'B' singers, would probably denigrate Dave's voice, but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.

You can go on all day about range, screaming, octaves this'n'that, but in the end the most distinctive and durable singers are more noteworthy for a voice that conveys who the fuck they are. No one rags on Billy Gibbons voice, cos that who the dude is. Same with Dave, and Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and other 'bad singers'.

Still, i'm not griping about the clip - that was a good effort and good playing by MA. VH worked in large part because his vocal abilities complemented Dave's.
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    ...but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.
    Agreed. Of all of the 80's rockers that pitched in for a VH tribute CD, I thought Joe Lynn Turner, of all people, did a fair job with a Dave tune. Kinda cheese whizzy, but not too bad neithah.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jhale667 View Post
    Not bad, cool bass work, and the dude does a good job with the solo. Best part? No Spammy.
    Seriously. Sammy can't win. Even his own guitar player would most likely rather be playing VH than Mas shitty Tequila.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    On the Sam and Dave tour I thought snow and heat miser got together. You had Dave with his bleached white hair in his blue spandex and then you had little short Sam in his red outfit. I was expecting to see Mrs. Claus fly in looking for a sick reindeer.

∞ SHEEP PEN GYPSY
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Just another Sub-par VAN HALEN COVER Band!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry Mike...you ain't no front man brutha!!!

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    Hagar had difficulty singing Dave's tunes, too - it was too out of the normal range he sang in, so he could never do 'em. Listen to him trying to sing ATBL or Panama (if you dare risk your ears) - he just can't convey the essential Daveness that is the character in DLR's voice. The phrasing, the little vocal touches and ad-libs.

People who equate singing with castrato wailing or that awful warbling that seems to have beset a generation of so-called 'R'n'B' singers, would probably denigrate Dave's voice, but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.

You can go on all day about range, screaming, octaves this'n'that, but in the end the most distinctive and durable singers are more noteworthy for a voice that conveys who the fuck they are. No one rags on Billy Gibbons voice, cos that who the dude is. Same with Dave, and Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and other 'bad singers'.

Still, i'm not griping about the clip - that was a good effort and good playing by MA. VH worked in large part because his vocal abilities complemented Dave's.
    I've had a long weekend of watching CVH and solo DLR boots and can't understand the "Dave sucked live" attitude that seems to prevail on the internets. He was certainly not any worse than most classic rock acts of the day. I actually came away thinking Roth sounded pretty damn good for the most part (other than maybe the US Fest, where he was gloriously, drunkenly shaky).
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If nothing else this shows that Mikey still wants to play Van Halen tunes. Now if Ed would just get his head out of his ass...
    American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like Vic the Busboy has learned how to play Ed's stuff better over the last decade or so. He stumbled all over the Van Hagar material on the Spam & Dave tour.
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I did try Mike's hot sauce. It's good. It's thick and has a lot of flavor. Kind of the sauce you can put on everything actually. I haven't tried the extra hot. His BBQ sauce is good too.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    I did try Mike's hot sauce. It's good. It's thick and has a lot of flavor. Kind of the sauce you can put on everything actually. I haven't tried the extra hot. His BBQ sauce is good too.
    I think this is the first comment I've ever seen on Mike and his sauces that wasn't about making fun of Mike and his sauces.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think this is the first comment I've ever seen on Mike and his sauces that wasn't about making fun of Mike and his sauces.
    The reviews on Mike's sauce were so good on Amazon I ordered a bottle of everything. Hot sauce, hot mustard, BBQ sauce. It's all good.

http://www.amazon.com/Mad-Anthonys-H...owViewpoints=1

The sauce is addicting and you will find you start putting it on everything. Mike needs to start selling bigger bottles of the stuff because my family burned through a bottle of it real damn quick.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 02-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    the Youtubers are big Mad Anthony fans. (not really)

This was better than Light up the Sky.

The sad thing about Mike is that his talent is obvious on the old club bootlegs.
    The guy's a monster on bass on some of them.
    You never get that on the CVH albums, or it's very subtle if you dial on the EQ on certain tracks. He was wailing on some of the Gazzari's Dance contest tracks.
    The only thing that Wolf doesn't do that Mike did live is the very high harmony on Unchained, not that WVH did a bad job, but everyone brings something different to the table.
    I like what Wolf brought to the table on the album and the live stuff, but as a fan it was a very tough sell during the '07 tour.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ha ha - yeah that's about right. If its actually edible, I might try a bottle or three based on Army member recommendations.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike's 'just doing what I'm told' temperament rendered him nearly inaudible in the mix for much of the recordings from '82 on up. And what you could here was 16th notes on shitty songs like Poundcake. He did express to Jas Obrecht in an unpublished interview from 1982, that Jas shared with the author of The Definitive Edward Van Halen, that he was frustrated with how he could no longer play the way he wanted to play within the band. This is one of the things that would be interesting to hear more about in a book by Mike. There's no way he's ever going to write something before his chances of a return are entirely shot. He's gotta be hanging on to hope, at least some what, I'd imagine, that he gets to roll one last time with Dave, Ed & Al.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Ha ha - yeah that's about right. If its actually edible, I might try a bottle or three based on Army member recommendations.
    Same here. I'm no hot sauce person, but I might give the BBQ sauce a whirl.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's an interview by Kurt Loder with Mike from '91 on You Tube. Mike is practically straining to not let Dave's name enter his responses, but he does mention that Fair Warning was his fave and that he still blasted it when he'd have friends over to the house.

Thread Information