X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DLR Bridge
    ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Mad Anthony's Express

Ya know... I gotta say, even with some of Mike's occasional tone deafness peppered throughout, this actually doesn't sound half bad. His playing's pretty tight too.
  • ELVIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2003

Awesome bass and nice lead break...

Anthonys vocals only sound in tune in his super high range...

Comment

• DLR Bridge
      ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by ELVIS
      Anthonys vocals only sound in tune in his super high range...
      Good point. Very little control of his mid range.

Comment

• ELVIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2003

That's some jammin' bass though...

Comment

• jhale667
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Aug 2004

Not bad, cool bass work, and the dude does a good job with the solo...

Best part? No Spammy.
          Originally posted by conmee
          If anyone even thinks about deleting the Muff Thread they are banned.... no questions asked.

That is all.

Icon.
          Originally posted by GO-SPURS-GO
          I've seen prominent hypocrite liberal on this site Jhale667

Originally posted by Isaac R.
          Then it's really true??:eek:

The Muff Thread is really just GONE ???

OMFG...who in their right mind...???
          Originally posted by eddie78
          I was wrong about you, brother. You're good.

Comment

• VHscraps
            Veteran
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by DLR Bridge
            Good point. Very little control of his mid range.
            Hagar had difficulty singing Dave's tunes, too - it was too out of the normal range he sang in, so he could never do 'em. Listen to him trying to sing ATBL or Panama (if you dare risk your ears) - he just can't convey the essential Daveness that is the character in DLR's voice. The phrasing, the little vocal touches and ad-libs.

People who equate singing with castrato wailing or that awful warbling that seems to have beset a generation of so-called 'R'n'B' singers, would probably denigrate Dave's voice, but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.

You can go on all day about range, screaming, octaves this'n'that, but in the end the most distinctive and durable singers are more noteworthy for a voice that conveys who the fuck they are. No one rags on Billy Gibbons voice, cos that who the dude is. Same with Dave, and Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and other 'bad singers'.

Still, i'm not griping about the clip - that was a good effort and good playing by MA. VH worked in large part because his vocal abilities complemented Dave's.
            THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• DLR Bridge
              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by VHscraps
              ...but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.
              Agreed. Of all of the 80's rockers that pitched in for a VH tribute CD, I thought Joe Lynn Turner, of all people, did a fair job with a Dave tune. Kinda cheese whizzy, but not too bad neithah.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by jhale667
                Not bad, cool bass work, and the dude does a good job with the solo. Best part? No Spammy.
                Seriously. Sammy can't win. Even his own guitar player would most likely rather be playing VH than Mas shitty Tequila.

Comment

• Nitro Express
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Aug 2004

On the Sam and Dave tour I thought snow and heat miser got together. You had Dave with his bleached white hair in his blue spandex and then you had little short Sam in his red outfit. I was expecting to see Mrs. Claus fly in looking for a sick reindeer.
                  No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• Matt White
                    • Jun 2004

Just another Sub-par VAN HALEN COVER Band!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry Mike...you ain't no front man brutha!!!

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by VHscraps
                      Hagar had difficulty singing Dave's tunes, too - it was too out of the normal range he sang in, so he could never do 'em. Listen to him trying to sing ATBL or Panama (if you dare risk your ears) - he just can't convey the essential Daveness that is the character in DLR's voice. The phrasing, the little vocal touches and ad-libs.

People who equate singing with castrato wailing or that awful warbling that seems to have beset a generation of so-called 'R'n'B' singers, would probably denigrate Dave's voice, but I've never heard anyone cover a Dave tune and sound right - whereas, Dave has always pretty much put his stamp on any cover tunes he sang.

You can go on all day about range, screaming, octaves this'n'that, but in the end the most distinctive and durable singers are more noteworthy for a voice that conveys who the fuck they are. No one rags on Billy Gibbons voice, cos that who the dude is. Same with Dave, and Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan and other 'bad singers'.

Still, i'm not griping about the clip - that was a good effort and good playing by MA. VH worked in large part because his vocal abilities complemented Dave's.
                      I've had a long weekend of watching CVH and solo DLR boots and can't understand the "Dave sucked live" attitude that seems to prevail on the internets. He was certainly not any worse than most classic rock acts of the day. I actually came away thinking Roth sounded pretty damn good for the most part (other than maybe the US Fest, where he was gloriously, drunkenly shaky).
                      My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• DONNIEP
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Mar 2004

If nothing else this shows that Mikey still wants to play Van Halen tunes. Now if Ed would just get his head out of his ass...
                        American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• FORD
                          ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

• Jan 2004

Looks like Vic the Busboy has learned how to play Ed's stuff better over the last decade or so. He stumbled all over the Van Hagar material on the Spam & Dave tour.
                          Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

Comment

• Nitro Express
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Aug 2004

I did try Mike's hot sauce. It's good. It's thick and has a lot of flavor. Kind of the sauce you can put on everything actually. I haven't tried the extra hot. His BBQ sauce is good too.
                            No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                              ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

Originally posted by Nitro Express
                              I did try Mike's hot sauce. It's good. It's thick and has a lot of flavor. Kind of the sauce you can put on everything actually. I haven't tried the extra hot. His BBQ sauce is good too.
                              I think this is the first comment I've ever seen on Mike and his sauces that wasn't about making fun of Mike and his sauces.

Comment

Working...