X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VAiN
    Use my hand, I won't look
    ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

I wonder exactly what Mike signed away in 2004 to tour with van hagar one last time... It's my understanding that he signed away past, current and future rights to anything VH related.. I think it's more of not wanting Mike to get the exposure and not worrying about paying him.
    Originally posted by wiseguy
    That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• Green Manalishi
      Head Fluffer
      • Jul 2010

I seriously wish they would release some live material from the '78 - ' 84 years .

Comment

• Zing!
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by VAiN
        I wonder exactly what Mike signed away in 2004 to tour with van hagar one last time... It's my understanding that he signed away past, current and future rights to anything VH related.. I think it's more of not wanting Mike to get the exposure and not worrying about paying him.
        I was under the impression it was all future rights to anything VH, with a reduction in royalty percentage, but not completely cut off. I could be wrong about that though.
        My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• mh5150
          Foot Soldier
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Zing!
          I was under the impression it was all future rights to anything VH, with a reduction in royalty percentage, but not completely cut off. I could be wrong about that though.
          Me too

My tickets in the mail yet?

Comment

• Terry
            TOASTMASTER GENERAL
            • Jan 2004

The sad thing is that even though I've got a fairly decent collection of CVHaudio and video boots from years of trades (and, in some cases, flat-out buying shows), I'd still pay a pretty penny for that same stuff if it was remastered and released officially.

The money the Van Halens have lost to bootleggers as a result of what comes down to just being stubborn must be quite a chunk of change.
            Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• DONNIEP
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Mar 2004

This is the issue I can't get my head around. Ed would rather let some bootlegger make money off his stuff than put forth the effort to clean up the stuff and release it. Hell, I would bet money there's at least 5 people here who could do it - and do it right - and do it for free!! So why not spend a few bucks, clean up all the video and audio as best as possible and put it out there for sale. And as far as the quality - it's Van Fucking Halen!! We ain't looking for perfection here - just whatever was captured at the show!!
              American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Comment

• TJMKID
                Veteran
                • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DONNIEP
                This is the issue I can't get my head around. Ed would rather let some bootlegger make money off his stuff than put forth the effort to clean up the stuff and release it. Hell, I would bet money there's at least 5 people here who could do it - and do it right - and do it for free!! So why not spend a few bucks, clean up all the video and audio as best as possible and put it out there for sale. And as far as the quality - it's Van Fucking Halen!! We ain't looking for perfection here - just whatever was captured at the show!!

You just can't help but get the feeling EVH is not a bootleg kinda guy. The three '81 Oakland videos that were shown on MTV were probably 100% due to Warner Bros. pushing the idea on him. It's well-known that he forced Haggis back into the studio to re-record all the vocals for the '93 release of the "Live: Right Here, Right Now" 2-CD set because he was so unhappy with actual live recordings of Samborita.

For a band that got signed to a record deal because of the impressive popularity of their live show --- and the sold-out world tours for just about every album they released --- you gotta wonder why EVH is so unsatisfied with the band's live recordings (film and audio) over the years. But he's a weird motherfucker so nothing really surprises me about the dude --- I'm fully expecting him to give an interview later this year telling us how Wolfgang Tremonti Band is the greatest live music he's ever heard and it will easily sell 10 million copies when it hits the shelves.

Last edited by TJMKID; 02-05-2013, 12:46 AM.

Comment

• VAiN
                  Use my hand, I won't look
                  ROCKSTAR

• Nov 2006

You're probably right..
                  Originally posted by wiseguy
                  That shit will welcome you in the morning and pour the milk in your count chocula for ya.

Comment

• thismusicsux
                    Full On Cocktard
                    • Oct 2012

Also one of the big changes I know of... Mike was taken off 1984 as a songwriter.
                    Last edited by thismusicsux; 02-05-2013, 03:48 AM.

Comment

• thismusicsux
                      Full On Cocktard
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by TJMKID
                      You just can't help but get the feeling EVH is not a bootleg kinda guy. The three '81 Oakland videos that were shown on MTV were probably 100% due to Warner Bros. pushing the idea on him. It's well-known that he forced Haggis back into the studio to re-record all the vocals for the '93 release of the "Live: Right Here, Right Now" 2-CD set because he was so unhappy with actual live recordings of Samborita.

For a band that got signed to a record deal because of the impressive popularity of their live show --- and the sold-out world tours for just about every album they released --- you gotta wonder why EVH is so unsatisfied with the band's live recordings (film and audio) over the years. But he's a weird motherfucker so nothing really surprises me about the dude --- I'm fully expecting him to give an interview later this year telling us how Wolfgang Tremonti Band is the greatest live music he's ever heard and it will easily sell 10 million copies when it hits the shelves.

when I think... yeah EVH probably isn't happy with the old footage to release ... but wait.... they toured 2012 with massive amounts of HD bootlegging going on sounding like they did. Well musically they sounded great...but DLR isn't sounding quite the same (understandable at almost 60).

Basically releasing any official tour footage from 78-84 in their prime has got to be better than the 2012 tour. Nothing can compare to CVH when they dominated

Comment

• sadaist
                        TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by thismusicsux
                        Also one of the big changes I know of... Mike was taken off 1984 as a songwriter.

Luckily for Mike, it was after it sold 12 million copies. Since his name was removed to his death what will it sell? Maybe another million? Dude made his money.

I think once it's finally just down to family, Eddie will start releasing stuff. Somehow he thinks it;s his & Als since they are Van Halen. Dave was/is just their singer. Mike was their bass player. Sammy & Gary was their singer. Eddie just isn't ever going to share this band being equal with any other member but Alex.

He openly despised Mike for buying a mansion & cars with Van Halen money since he barely contributed to the songs. He tried to cut Dave way back. Gary was a paycheck guy ....as was Mike in 2004.

But as long as Dave is at the front with Eddie & Al flanking him, we shouldn't concern ourselves with unseen details.
                        “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Comment

• Hardrock69
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Feb 2005

Here is the thing: It all boils down to what kind of man you are.

Of all the greatness attributed to Ed, I cannot respect him for his treatment of Mike.

IF he had ANY fucking integrity at all, he would have left things the way they were!

Giving Mike songwriting credit on an album, then taking that credit away is the act of a fucking asshole.

I respect Ed as a guitarist and musician.

But his ethics are warped like a motherfucker.

They say that money does strange things to people.

Ed is living proof.

He does not want Mike back in the band, knowing how he fucked Mike over.

So what if Mike got royalties for songs he may not have contributed much for?

That was the band's decision. Much like the Doors, who split their songwriting credits 4 ways.

Whether that was a good decision, or a bad one, Ed should live with his fucking decision instead of fucking Mike over just because Alcohol Ed does not like Spambot. Everyone in the band got their share of millions....so what the fuck was Ed's problem?

Spamuel and Mike did not NEED to get back with Van Halen. Sure, I can see them wanting to go out and tour again under the Van Halen banner.

But if I had been Mike.....and was presented with such fucked up demands.....I would have told Ed to go fuck himself and jump in front of a train. Mike and Spamuel could have just continued on with their partnership, and let Ed try to sort out his fucked up alcoholic life!

Ed may seem like this great guy to some (he may not BE that bad of a guy), and I have no idea what would make him hate Mike so (aside from being friends with Klownie)....but to me he is a ruthless, cold, asshole motherfucker for his treatment of Mike.

Comment

• DLR Bridge
                            ROCKSTAR

• Mar 2011

I think there has to be more to the Mike and Ed story. I doubt it's of "Hey, you fucked my wife!!" proportions, but something must have really tweaked Ed that Mike said or did. I recall finding a radio interview with Mike from the close of the '04 monstrosity tour where he did not speak favorably of Ed at all. He went on about how he wasn't allowed to use the tour for any sort of platform for his sauces and how Ed was screaming at people to take their Cabo Wabo gear off in his presence. Granted, Ed was more off his nut than any other point in his life here, but if he caught wind of Mike bad mouthing him on the radio, I'd say that could be a major contributing factor to the banishment.

Comment

• VHscraps
                              Veteran
                              • Jul 2009

Anybody bought a recent copy of the '1984' album - in the credits to the WB Remasters from the year 2000, Mike is credited as co-writer. I think it was on the 96 Best Of Vol. 1 where he was no longer credited on maybe 'Jump'. I don't have the CD anymore.

I suspect that Eddie is not to blame, whatever creditsike has or hasn't list. I think if he was removed as co-writer, and it's not just an error on a record / CD label, then it could have had something to to with Dave agreeing to co-operate on the BOV1 thing.

Hadn't he sued the band prior to that over publishing? I know he had to get the lawyers involved again in the early 2000s 'cos they negotiated a new royalty deal with WB for the 6-pack. Separate thing to the publishing in one sense, but nonetheless could have caused Dave to insist that MA be removed as songwriter on 'Jump' at the time they were putting out BOV1.

I think it is only 'Jump', and only on the comps. 'Jump' will be the one VH song with the greatest long-term publishing potential (from airplay, licensing, etc), and even a fraction more of the share of that one song will be worth maybe as much as most of the band's other publishing put together - Dave did say in an interview in the late 90s that he got less per album sold than Mike after the band renegotiated various things connected to the Six Pack. Adjusting the songwriting credit on 'Jump' for future publishing royalties might have been one way to settle the dispute over money with Dave.
                              THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Comment

• big fatty
                                Head Fluffer
                                • Jul 2004

I wonder if Warner Brothers has something to do with it. Maybe EVH doesn't want them to profit from his band again.

Comment

Working...