Thread: David Lee Roth Vents About Van Halen's Future

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Junglestud View Post
    also Rob Zombie & Marylin Manson are in this project with Dave & John.

No - that's who else John 5 has played for...

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I don't think he disrespected anyone. Not even Wolf. Ed might not see it that way. Your right there. Really the only thing that confused me in the interview was Dave saying he hasn't written a new song with Ed since 84 ? Were did China Town, Honeybaby & As Is come from then ? And the interviewer did nothing to correct Dave or ask.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    I really did not see anything negative in what Dave was saying. If Ed gets irritated by any of it, then he is being unreasonable.

But then, decades of alcoholism and years of possible crack/meth usage can do that to someone.

Sniper

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here is an idea for Ed - bring back Mike AND keep Wolf in the band. Rather than playing bass Wolf could play keyboards and rhythm guitar.

I think it all depends on Ed's health and bank account. If he is healthy and wants to add to his bank account they will continue. If not they won't.
    "Bumper sticker on my rocket's ass: go home, the earth is full." DLR

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Really the only thing that confused me in the interview was Dave saying he hasn't written a new song with Ed since 84 ? Were did China Town, Honeybaby & As Is come from then ? And the interviewer did nothing to correct Dave or ask.

Dave often speaks symbolically --- I think he was trying to convey the main premise that ADKOT is mostly reworked old demos. I would bet Dave went to Ed during the down time of 2008-2011 with a lot of ideas --- some good, some wacky --- and EVH probably responded with --- "Look Dave, let's just touch up some of our club hits and take the path of least resistance for a new album. No need to reinvent the wheel, dude. I'm only doing this project because I wanna jam with my kid".

Truth be told --- no Roth-era album was ever completely "new" music --- most were comprised of touch-ups from their lengthy catalog of tunes they battle tested onstage during the So-Cal club circuit years.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    I really did not see anything negative in what Dave was saying. If Ed gets irritated by any of it, then he is being unreasonable.

But then, decades of alcoholism and years of possible crack/meth usage can do that to someone.
    I don't think he was being unreasonable either, but what is a bit of a problem is that this is apparently the best way Dave can communicate with Ed. A tell-all with Rolling Stone?

I'm just saying, if Dave feels this is his best option for getting his thoughts across to a guy he's known since '72, that's not a good sign.

In any case, it's all business as usual for us. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    In any case, it's all business as usual for us. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
    ...with regards to the band Van Halen's future that is. I know I can always enjoy another Dave solo project. What I never want to see again is Dave doing all VH tunes live with a cover band. I'd like to see Dave stick with the fresh and the new creative he has in his mind.

Atomic Punk of Los Santos
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A very interesting and curious read to be sure.

Sharky made a very good point that struck me yesterday after I read it...and that is there is little to no attention given to Ed's recent health issues and surgery. Guys in their 50's take awhile to get back in fighting form, especially when that fight is taking a big show on the road.

My concerns lie with Dave's comments about Mike. While it was refreshing to hear him essentially calling for Mike's return, I think it will have a negative impact on his relationship with Ed. Even though he never referenced Wolfgang specifically, the comments came across sounding like "Ed's kid is OK, but we really need Mike back."

On the flip side, Dave makes it sound like he's aligned pretty closely with Al in some of his views...which is interesting when you consider that Al once considered Dave to be the devil incarnate.

As always, nothing is ever what it seems in Van Halen-land. The rest of this year should provide plenty of grist for our favorite mill....
    Originally posted by perilouspete
    fryingdutchman you pretty much own everyone.....sick comebacks, well put. top class wit.

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And maybe it's just me, but I don't think that the asshats at Rolling Stone helped the situation by using the word "vents" in the title of their article.

It automatically puts people on the defensive and tricks the reader into thinking that Dave's comments are based on some sort of frustration or anger, and that may not be the case at all.

But if I were Eddie and I read that headline, my mind would not exactly be "open" while I read what followed.

ever wonder why u wonder
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Mike is a class act....
    Sammy needs to STFU ....
    Dave better be wearing a cup....
    Just sayin.....

My tickets in the mail yet?

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    ...and the worst part...you just know that Sham-Wow will now be "giving interviews" as to his take on this...

...you know, because when Dave talks about Van Halen...everybody wants to know what he thinks...

...the fuck...

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    And maybe it's just me, but I don't think that the asshats at Rolling Stone helped the situation by using the word "vents" in the title of their article.

It automatically puts people on the defensive and tricks the reader into thinking that Dave's comments are based on some sort of frustration or anger, and that may not be the case at all.

But if I were Eddie and I read that headline, my mind would not exactly be "open" while I read what followed.
    I agree - and can't help but think that the only Van Halen Rolling Stone's editors thought was bad-ass was the Van Haggar version. Any opportunity to get a little dig in on the band, to cause a little foment -they'll take it. The title could have easily read: "David Lee Roth Opens Up About Van Halen." Or better yet, simply: "David Lee Roth."

Really, that's all it needed to say. Just his name.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I like how main has become the one stop shopping headquarters for Monday morning psychoanalytic perspectives and criticism of all things Van Halen...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hope Dave spent some of his creative time working with a vocal coach to get back to form and adressing why he can no longer sing in buildings with AC. A lot will depend on how much of what he said in the interview he has already said to Eddie. If from Eds viewpoint this is first he is hearing it then not good news. Dave solo stuff is great but simply doesn't pay the bills. Plus if Dave was so concerned about the background vocals why not bring a back up singer or better yet focus on improving the lead vocals.

I mostly agree w his sentiments although he needs to realize he is unintentionally saying I want your kid out. Plus Ed has said publicly Wolfie contributed with Dave to Stay Frosty so I see why that would piss Dave off but it can piss off any parent if someone minimizes their kid rock band or in regular life. Hope it gets taken as someone frustrated and they get together to find a common ground but if not no complaing from Dave this time as he violated a long standing VH protocaol, don't go public.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave didn't violate shit...

Van Halen is supposedly a band, not a witness protection program...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree Elvis, just realize the Van Halen camp has never operated that way. In their eyes he may have and historically have they ever been ok someone going public?
    Its a messed up logic and may not be how they function as "adults" now but can't ignore history either.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That's where drugs and alcohol took their toll, as Dave pointed out...

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Then hopefully sobriety will allow a more lucid Eddie to see it as frustration and not an act of war.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    I like how main has become the one stop shopping headquarters for Monday morning psychoanalytic perspectives and criticism of all things Van Halen...
    Has become?? Oh, should we have been talking about our most recently ingested meals? We're sorry. More psycho analyzing, coooooming uuuuppp!!!

Here's what trips me up a bit...

"But Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming. We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment....I’m not sure what’s in Ed’s mind at this point."

"...Al Van Halen, who I speak with every morning here"

Ed and Al are the worlds first pair of Siamese twins born 2 years apart. I would think a conversation with one of them would be just like speaking to both of them!
    But seriously, I wonder if it's possible that Ed asked his brother to be the contact point for Dave. Does Al just keep saying, "let me run it past Ed" and the usual stone walls, dead ends a road blocks keep appearing? Even if Dave's standing with Al is ions better than we'd ever imagined possible, Al must still be very guarded with his responses.

"I've offered the fellows, come on out here to the land of the gods. And if you don't want to make it that far we'll make it halfway – Konishiki [his friend and former champion sumo wrestler] has said he'll lend me his house in Hawaii, Let's go woodshed. But so far there hasn't been any response"

The response of "OK" would probably yield one phucking phenomenal phollow up to Truth.

Shit, I'll go to Hawaii and make music with ya Dave. PM me!

Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Especially since it's Wednesday...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I deleted that exact comment from my original post...

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Isn't that what we've ALWAYS done ??
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave seems frustrated at the down time. Ive always gotten the impression dave would have been happy to continue the recording/tour schedule of 78-82 forever.

One thing for sure...we will surely see if Ed is truely "in a better place". Hes always reacted to things like this with verbal attacks, firing a lead singer and/or diving head first into the bottle.

FROGALLIC
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This interview doesn't sound exactly good, for sure.

Maybe he had too much sake to drink, which is why he got a little bitter?

It's odd indeed that Dave invoked Michael Anthony... and didn't mention Wolf.

Wolfgang's job was excellent bass-wise, and even vocally, though he isn't Mike Anthony.

But then, Dave is David Lee Roth, yet he wasn't exactly himself singing-wise during the last tour, so...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone888 View Post
    One thing for sure...we will surely see if Ed is truely "in a better place". Hes always reacted to things like this with verbal attacks, firing a lead singer and/or diving head first into the bottle.
    I think Ed has come off as a rational, level headed guy during the past few interviews he's given. He was even quite complimentary of Dave. I don't think he'll respond belligerently to this. Does Dave's interview put Ed on a hot seat for a response? A little bit, which I'm sure he can't be too thrilled with, but I'm sure he's not up for chasing Dave down the dreaded rabbit hole of old.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well, I'll repeat my Michael Anthony "thesis" again for those who've graciously ignored it in the past...

I have held the belief since the very day that Mike was let go that it was NOT because he was playing gigs with Bette. Rather, I have always said that EVH's primary objective was to play onstage with his son.

The fact that Mike had been playing gigs with Bette simply created a very convenient excuse to tell the fans.

But now that Wolf is playing gigs with people closer to his age, and you cannot fault him for that, maybe this will once and for all allow Mike the opportunity to get his foot back in the Van Halen door....

And I think that Dave's statement's about Mike in RS is DLR picking the lock to that door.....

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I think I can guess what is going on here. No surprise. Wolfie is playing with other bands and DLR wants to do something so he talks about MA coming back. I guess Wolfie ain't gonna quit the tour he is on now. Mr EVH needs YEARS to recover from the 2012 tour. Last time, after the 07-08 tour, it took him 1 year to recover; so it looks like we got 6-12 more months of Eddie sitting on the couch watching Law and Order.

I would love Dave to quit VH and go out on his own, but he cannot be trusted to make Rock music; he slips into that eclectic/ all-inclusivie/ I'm so sophisticated music. And, he also does not have the confidence to tour as a rock band. This is the only place that Hagar has the edge - no matter what the size of the venue or the audience, he goes out and plays.

So, what do we need? I hate to say it. Another Sam and Dave tour. It will keep Dave in Rock mode.

Groupie
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dave is obviously restless!! Lets face it, Dave and EVH have no relationship...other than being on stage together. They seem to record separately and EVH can only take The Diamond One in small doses...it's understandable!!
    It was mentioned that WVH was the driving force BEHIND the scenes last tour, but I thought it was interesting that even the video boards always seemed to focus on the old three and not Wolf. The History Lesson interviews only included the original three...understandable, again. I bet Dave was behind that. Now, I think Dave realizes this is about WVH for Ed, and not really about the whole group. Dave has wanted The Band To Get Back Together from the beginning. Lets face it, Dave in VH is what truly makes him relevent. It just doesn't really seem about that for Ed. I think Dave sees WVH's bon voyage with Tremonti as a chance to get MA a foot in the door and re-create old times. It's just not going to happen and I hate that. Like most here...I have a love/hate thing for EVH. He is "complex" and that's the rub. Then again, Dave isn't your average bear. All I know is that I got to share my VH experience (at least 3/4's of it) with my 10 yr old at the time...and it was priceless!! I wish that train on the last album cover could keep rolling, but I strongly doubt it. And that's a real shame!!
    "Hey man, that suit is you!!"

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fryingdutchman View Post
    My concerns lie with Dave's comments about Mike. While it was refreshing to hear him essentially calling for Mike's return, I think it will have a negative impact on his relationship with Ed. Even though he never referenced Wolfgang specifically, the comments came across sounding like "Ed's kid is OK, but we really need Mike back."
    After considerable thought on this interview... I think you are touching what I came away with:

Dave... "Ed and I haven't written any new material in 20 years"... "Oh wait Stay Frosty"... "I wrote that"

What does that mean? ADKOT was the recycled old stuff... The other "New" material was written by Ed, Al and... Wolfgang. Dave just added vocals. He doesn't feel it was his collaboration with Ed.

Dave mentions Michael Anthony... Clearly the full original reunion concept is not lost on Dave's radar. But I think it speaks to a much deeper issue. Michael's role in Van Halen was never that of leadership and never threatened Dave in the "pecking order" or chain of command within the band.

What's changed?

Who wasn't mentioned at all?

Wolfgang Van Halen...

Remember in the Esquire interview Ed gushing about how Wolfgang took the reins on the album... the material chosen... the recording process and producing. The tour setlist... ETC. Where was Dave? Sequestered to recording his parts... alone... off-shift... virtually excluded from the inner creative process as Van Halen the band as a whole.

Dave feels saddled to the brothers and frustrated. Dave only mentions him and the brothers... Dave makes no mention or even implies anything regarding the 20-something year old pink stripped elephant in the VH room.

Van Halen goes no where until Wolfgang kicks Pops off the couch. Dave is ready to go-go-go.

I believe bottom line... Dave resents the hell out of being 3rd fiddle in the band. A certain Van Halen is out in the mainstream working for his dinner and that pisses Dave off because he's saddled to Ed and all of that is dependent on Wolfgang pulling the trigger. Dave wants Mike back... because it removes a certain youngster who hasn't earned his rightful spot on the throne... Standing between him and Dave's Van Halen fame and legacy.

It's wise of Dave not to mention Wolfgang... I get the feeling there's far more implied especially by what was not said.
    "If you want to be a monk... you gotta cook a lot of rice...”

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Maybe so...

But I think Ed should polish off a few bottles of Smoking Loon and fire back in the media...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well said Zah.

PFC Roth Army
    Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    I really wouldn't get overly excited one way or the other....

All we're doing is reading Dave's words, we can't see his mannerisms nor his inflections in his voice....

Meaning, we really don't know if he was speaking in a "doom and gloom" manner, as if he doubted they would EVER do anything....

So I'm just gonna take the article at face value, and nothing more....

I don't think Dave EVER speaks in "doom n gloom". He ain't got time to waste on that. I think the interview was kind of positive.
    I mean Al and Dave speak everyday!? And they both want to do these festivals!? That's pretty positive in my book.

We also got to keep in mind that Dave rides a bullet train through life, you know "beating the clock". Ed is at home noodling and watching Mr. Ed reruns.
    I'm sure that would get on Dave's last nerves. The train is leaving the station.......Wolfie would you please pack your dad's bags.
    " You ever notice when I scream I sound like Mr. Bill on acid" DLR

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsbane View Post
    I think I can guess what is going on here. No surprise. Wolfie is playing with other bands and DLR wants to do something so he talks about MA coming back. I guess Wolfie ain't gonna quit the tour he is on now. Mr EVH needs YEARS to recover from the 2012 tour. Last time, after the 07-08 tour, it took him 1 year to recover; so it looks like we got 6-12 more months of Eddie sitting on the couch watching Law and Order.

Assuming EVH is totally healed from the colon surgery (his own doctor said 4-6 months recovery time) --- I can't understand why Ed likes to stay at home so much. At least in his younger years, he could say "I hate being on the road because I miss being with my wife and kid". But what about now? Janie accompanied him on the last 2 tours, Wolf is in the band, he has his brother as usual, and he even drags his little pooch along! What is so exciting about sitting in a dusty mansion in the Hollywood Hills watching TV? Seems like a boring way to spend your middle age years.

I don't care what anyone says --- the only thing that matters to EVH is his bank account --- if he talks to his accountant and is told his pile of money has shrunk to a few million, then he rings up Dave or Sam and tells them in a fake excited voice --- "Get up here and sing, bitch!" Jamming with Wolf is a very distant second priority.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    the only thing that matters to EVH is his bank account
    No, I don't think that...

Ed is the classic introverted, creative drunken genius and/or madman...

Taking the alcohol away doesn't change that...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ZahZoo View Post
    I believe bottom line... Dave resents the hell out of being 3rd fiddle in the band. A certain Van Halen is out in the mainstream working for his dinner and that pisses Dave off because he's saddled to Ed and all of that is dependent on Wolfgang pulling the trigger. Dave wants Mike back... because it removes a certain youngster who hasn't earned his rightful spot on the throne... Standing between him and Dave's Van Halen fame and legacy.

It's wise of Dave not to mention Wolfgang... I get the feeling there's far more implied especially by what was not said.

I would think any VH fan worth their salt is not threatened by Wolf's impact on Dave's legacy at all. Most of us in here lived through the 70's and 80's and saw the rise of the greatest rock band we've ever seen in our lifetimes --- and it was all due to the talent and hard work of David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen. Wolf is just some kid who popped out of the right pair of testicles! I sure as hell ain't trading all my memories of the legendary rock frontman for a chubby youngster who hasn't written a single piece of music by himself that had any success yet. When a Wolf-Tremonti song cracks the Top 10, I'll start giving the boy some cred for his talent as a musician.

I can't get a firm reading on Dave's inference to Sobolewski --- part of me believes he is somewhat frustrated by a 21 yr. old kid calling the shots in Van Halen, but I also think Dave cares about the CVH fanbase and how we've been deprived of a true VH reunion for 28 years and counting. I think even the "Roth Show" is a way of keeping the fanbase amused until further projects develop from VH World, although the Haggis fans think it's Dave being "egotistical and weird as usual".
    Last edited by TJMKID; 02-13-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Roadie

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All the talk about Mike. Wasnt he quoted as saying he wanted nothing to ever do with van halen ever again?

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No, I don't think that...

Ed is the classic introverted, creative drunken genius and/or madman...

Taking the alcohol away doesn't change that...

The Cabo Cunt is a born liar --- but I believe him when he writes in his book that Al and Ed were hard up for cash after their divorces and that's why Al begs Spam to have a chummy dinner in 2003 to discuss a reunion tour. Take away the need for money, and EVH and AVH avoid Hagarita like a $10 hooker with AIDS.

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone888 View Post
    All the talk about Mike. Wasnt he quoted as saying he wanted nothing to ever do with van halen ever again?
    I don't recall Mike ever saying that. He's said he's having fun doing what he's doing and his last VH adventure wasn't fun.

I think he's left the door open... he just ain't standing on the porch knocking or waiting any more.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Is there a price you don't avoid the hooker with aids?

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    All I have to say is after the props Dave gave him, Michael might want to rethink his trashing of Dave in the last couple of interviews.
    I brought my pencil!!!

Thread Information