Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meteor Hits Russia

ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm surprised anyone is going to this crap, Willis looked pretty shame faced about it when he was over to promote it.

The last two are actually managing to make the early ones worse by stinking so much...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    People focus on meteors but there is all sorts of shit out there that could wipe us out.

For example at any point we could get hit by a gamma ray burst and we would be completely fucked. These things go at the speed of light so there is nothing at all that we could do. There could have been a 5 second one given off 100 million years ago that is going to hit us tomorrow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_r..._life_on_Earth

That's why I never pay my parking fines on time...
    Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards? It's nice not having to worry about the T Rex or the raptors getting us on the way to the grocery store.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards?
    we got some giant lizards, and so do those there southern folk of yours.
    269131-croc.jpg

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Destruction is a good thing. I'm glad something killed off the dinosaurs. Could you imagine the daily stress level of having to live on a planet full of giant lizards? It's nice not having to worry about the T Rex or the raptors getting us on the way to the grocery store.
    Yet that is what Christians believe the world was like 6,000 years ago.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Why everyone in Russia has dash cams

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2013/02/russian-dash-cams/

How is it possible that a dozen different motorists around the Russian city of Chelyabinsk were able to capture video of a massive meteor flying through the sky? Because almost everyone in Russia has a dash-mounted video camera in their car.

The sheer size of the country, combined with lax — and often corrupt — law enforcement, and a legal system that rarely favors first-hand accounts of traffic collisions has made dash cams all but a requirement for motorists.

“You can get into your car without your pants on, but never get into a car without a dash cam,” Aleksei Dozorov, a motorists’ rights activist in Russia told Radio Free Europe last year.

Do a search for “Russia dash cam crash” in YouTube — or even better, Yandex.ru, the county’s equivalent of Google — and you’ll find thousands of videos showing massive crashes, close calls and attempts at insurance fraud by both other drivers and pedestrians. And Russian drivers are accident prone. With 35,972 road deaths in 2007 (the latest stats available from the World Health Organization), Russia averages 25.2 traffic fatalities per 100,000 people. The U.S., by comparison, had 13.9 road deaths per 100,000 people in the same year, despite having six times more cars.

A combination of inexpensive cameras, flash memory and regulations passed by the Interior Ministry in 2009 that removed any legal hurdles for in-dash cameras has made it easy and cheap for drivers to install the equipment.

And it’s turned into an online phenomenon.

YouTube content policing means some of the most disturbing videos get pulled from U.S. video sites almost immediately, but as Marina Galperina reported at Animal New York last year, sites like the Ru CHP LiveJournal community are filled with disturbing videos of profanity-laden fist-fights, massive crashes and gruesome deaths, all captured on camera and shared for the world to see.

But then there are times like today, when dash cams catch a once-in-a-lifetime meteor falling from the sky, from every possible angle — something that couldn’t have happened just a few years ago.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

And also:

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/15/guer..._hits_the_u_s/

Guerrilla Surveillance Camera Destruction Hits The U.S.

February 16, 2013

It started in Berlin: Anarchists, donning black bloc attire, hit the streets at night in pairs, small groups or alone to smash and dismantle the CCTV surveillance cameras adorning the city streets.

They posted videos and photos of their exploits online and called the guerrilla project Camover. The German collective gave a playful interview to Vice U.K. in which they explained that they are “a diverse group of people: Shoplifters eluding capitalism who don’t want to be monitored, passengers who don’t want to followed step by step and anarchists fighting everything that wants to control us.” Vice noted that the Berlin-based anarchists then laid down the gauntlet:

Camover have also recently announced a competition encouraging others to get involved. All you have to do to enter is think of a name that begins with the words “Brigade…” or “Command…” and that ends with the name of a historical personality, recruit a mob and smash up cameras. Then you send pictures and video evidence to their website, and they declare the winning footage.

The anti-surveillance project quickly spread throughout Germany, to Finland, Greece and hit the U.S. West Coast this month. A group identifying itself as “the Barefoot Bandit Brigade” released a statement claiming to have “removed and destroyed 17 security cameras throughout the Puget Sound region,” with ostensible photo evidence published alongside. “This act is concrete sabotage against the system of surveillance and control,” wrote the group’s statement, adding that the Camover contribution was also intended in solidarity with anarchists in the Pacific Northwest currently in federal custody without charges for refusing to cooperate with a federal grand jury.

When asked by Vice “aren’t you just wasting taxpayers’ money, since the government will inevitably re-install any CCTV you take out?” Camover’s originators responded, “Isn’t the government just going to waste taxpayers’ money when they replace the cameras that we are inevitably going to take down again?” It’s a direct approach to fight the creepy surveillance state, to say the least.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dude, you just blew my mind. That puts things in perspective. Why sweat the small stuff when, with one near miss of a football field sized asteroid, a huge ass T-Rex could be bearing down on you on your way to KFC. That's chicken soup for the soul baby.
    My karma just ran over your dogma.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A pro photographer was out in the stix shooting landscapes when it hit. He took a bunch of photos right as it was going overhead:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-through.html

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Dude, you just blew my mind. That puts things in perspective. Why sweat the small stuff when, with one near miss of a football field sized asteroid, a huge ass T-Rex could be bearing down on you on your way to KFC. That's chicken soup for the soul baby.
    mate, those T-Rex's had huge big brains... they'd OWN the KFC.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    mate, those T-Rex's had huge big brains... they'd OWN the KFC.
    Dude... WE would be the main ingridient...

At any rate...
    That thing was very bright for a meteor.
    That thing (apparently) made a 50ft radius perfectly round hole.

I ask thee: Was it REALLY a meteor?

Or was it aliens?
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Quote Originally Posted by Seshmeister View Post
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote View Post
    Dude... WE would be the main ingridient...

At any rate...
    That thing was very bright for a meteor.
    That thing (apparently) made a 50ft radius perfectly round hole.

I ask thee: Was it REALLY a meteor?

Or was it aliens?
    mate, i was riffing on what if dinosaurs and humans co-exist? turns out, we do. not the really big ones obv; luckily!

the alien thang? love it. just chuck an unexpected rock or snowball every x years.

on a serious note, i hope i'm alive on that momentous day in history when it happens...The front page of every news outlet everywhere. "Alien Civilisation Contacts Earth, Actually Do Come In Peace". 'Religion Redundant'.

Fretting Machine
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ashstralia View Post
    mate, i was riffing on what if dinosaurs and humans co-exist? turns out, we do. not the really big ones obv; luckily!
    Well, shit. So much for posting while hung over...

the alien thang? love it. just chuck an unexpected rock or snowball every x years.

on a serious note, i hope i'm alive on that momentous day in history when it happens...The front page of every news outlet everywhere. "Alien Civilisation Contacts Earth, Actually Do Come In Peace". 'Religion Redundant'.
    Here's to hoping.

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    If aliens are watching they would see all the war and hunger and terrible injustice in the world or worse read the which does Kirsty hate thread and realise we are fucking all crazy bat shit
    fuck your fucking framing

Thread Information