Woot! Danica Patrick Nabs Pole Position (????) In Daytona 500!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hardrock69
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Feb 2005

Woot! Danica Patrick Nabs Pole Position (????) In Daytona 500!!!

Linky

Gottal love the title of the article.

Danica Patrick grabs Daytona 500 pole

A year after making her Sprint Cup Series debut in the same race, Danica Patrick will lead the field to the green flag for the Daytona 500 after qualifying on the pole during Sunday's front row qualifying session at Daytona International Speedway.

It wasn't necessarily a surprise. Patrick posted the fastest speed of Saturday's two qualifying practices and ran slightly faster during her second qualifying lap on Sunday, knocking owner and teammate Tony Stewart from the provisional pole. She's the first woman to win a pole position in Sprint Cup Series history.

Patrick, who went out 8th of 45 drivers, had to withstand challenges from her other teammate, Ryan Newman, and Jeff Gordon, who will start alongside her on the front row.

Perhaps most importantly, Patrick's qualifying run means she doesn't have to worry about qualifying for the Daytona 500 in Thursday's qualifying races. Patrick, who is running full-time in the Sprint Cup Series for the first time in 2013, was potentially at risk of missing the race with a poor performance on Thursday. While the odds of missing the race were slim – 45 cars are attempting to capture one of the 43 available starting positions – Patrick's performance Thursday has no bearing on her appearance in the 500.

Those two Budweiser Duel races set the field for the rest of the starting lineup for next Sunday's 500 mile race, with the first race setting odd-numbered positions 3-31 and the second race marking who will start in the even-numbered positions 4-32. The rest of the field will be filled out via qualifying speeds from Sunday's single car runs and provisionals.

Last year, Patrick officially started 29th, but was forced to start in the back of the field after crashing during her qualifying race and was caught up in a crash on lap three of the 500 after Elliott Sadler and Jimmie Johnson made contact. (If Patrick crashes again in Thursday's race and is forced to go to a backup car, she'll once again have to start in the back of the pack.) Patrick also started on the pole in last year's season opening Nationwide Series race, but crashed after contact with then-teammate Cole Whitt.

While some fans tire of all-things Danica Patrick, given her motorsports ubiquity, her qualifying effort guarantees to keep her in the spotlight for the next seven days leading up to the most famous race of the NASCAR season. However, as Patrick has garnered a lot of media attention in the recent weeks for her relationship with fellow driver and Rookie of the Year contender Ricky Stenhouse, this time, the attention will be because of her success on the track. And no matter your opinion of her, that's a good thing.
  • BITEYOASS
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    • Jan 2004

I wish she would grab my pole. OH YEAH!

wos302.jpg

Comment

• Hardrock69
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Feb 2005

She is smoking hot!!! *drool*

But I want her to win a race just because. The only woman we have had in motorsports who really has done great was Shirley (Chacha) Muldowney. And that was just drag racing.

I look forward to seeing a woman win a major NASCAR event, not to mention something in the Formula arena like the Indy 500.

Comment

• ashstralia
        ROTH ARMY ELITE
        • Feb 2004

little indy car chickybabe...sexy bum.

do you guys know the pace car is one of our quality aussie designed and built ones? it's a holden!!!

The 2014 Chevrolet SS - Chevrolet's first V-8, rear-wheel-drive performance sedan in 17 years - was unveiled for fans Saturday at Daytona International Speedway.

Comment

• Diamondjimi
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • May 2004

This will be the first time in NASCAR history that the Daytona 500 pole positions will
          be occupied by two women... Danica Patrick AND Jeff Gordon!
          Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Comment

• Nickdfresh
            SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Big crash with injured fans in the Busch race, the Daytona will still go on...

Comment

• chefcraig
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Apr 2004

And what is NASCAR's first move to mediate the situation? Naturally, block images and video clips at Youtube and other social media sites made by fans in the stands depicting the crash and it's horrifying results upon the folks in the grandstands, saying (at first) it was a copyright issue, then amending that 45 minutes later attributing the actions were done "out of respect for the fans."

Hmmm, that same respect resulted not in a press statement starting with an open acknowledgment of the injured, instead it lead off with "the Daytona 500 will go on as scheduled."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
              ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• Nickdfresh
                SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

Originally posted by chefcraig
                And what is NASCAR's first move to mediate the situation? Naturally, block images and video clips at Youtube and other social media sites made by fans in the stands depicting the crash and it's horrifying results upon the folks in the grandstands, saying (at first) it was a copyright issue, then amending that 45 minutes later attributing the actions were done "out of respect for the fans."

Hmmm, that same respect resulted not in a press statement starting with an open acknowledgment of the injured, instead it lead off with "the Daytona 500 will go on as scheduled."
                I pretty much hate NASCAR...I'll probably watch the Daytona 500, and drink heavily and stair at breasts to alleviate the boredom of dumb, hick racing...

Comment

• chefcraig
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I pretty much hate NASCAR...I'll probably watch the Daytona 500, and drink heavily and stair at breasts to alleviate the boredom of dumb, hick racing...
                  Since Dale Earnhardt's death, the "sport" has become so deeply retarded it simply isn't worth investing much time or interest in. You have commentary offered by folks that sound like they just fell off of the back of a hay wagon, along with "strategy" offered by idiots like Rusty Wallace ("Look how slowly Kyle Busch is passing everyone!" - HUH?).

Not to mention that the racing itself has become boring as shit, with a handful of anonymously interchangeable drivers and tracks on hand to make the entire NASCAR experience tepid and intolerably sleep-inducing. The whole series should be sponsored by NyQuil.

At least the trucks are fun to watch, yet that series is so under-promoted you don't even know when a telecast is on until you read the results in the paper the next day after you've missed it.

When does F-1 start?

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
                  ― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• clarathecarrot
                    Full Member Status

• May 2010

Ever since NASCAR told B. Labonte to suck it and he said no and they told him under no circumstance will you ever achieve a slot less than 18 - 22nd place or we will have your card revoked, I have hated the sport.

No wins in 10 years..? well might as well be... they are fucking him and he is riding to make bank and feed his family.

He is banking 5 mil a year rolling without playing there shit game of who is gonna be popular for the sport instead of best drivers out front.

P.S. Danica is dating a fellow racer ? If that doesn't work out for her she can park her Corvette right here on the end of my HUGE COOOOOOOOOCK!!
                    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
                    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

Comment

• cadaverdog
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Aug 2007

Dumb hick racing? Them dumb hicks could buy and sell your ass any day of the week. Them there hicks have made a buttload of cash from all over this country.
                      Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Aug 2007

Since Dale Earnhardt's death, the "sport" has become so deeply retarded it simply isn't worth investing much time or interest in. You have commentary offered by folks that sound like they just fell off of the back of a hay wagon, along with "strategy" offered by idiots like Rusty Wallace ("Look how slowly Kyle Busch is passing everyone!" - HUH?).

Not to mention that the racing itself has become boring as shit, with a handful of anonymously interchangeable drivers and tracks on hand to make the entire NASCAR experience tepid and intolerably sleep-inducing. The whole series should be sponsored by NyQuil.

At least the trucks are fun to watch, yet that series is so under-promoted you don't even know when a telecast is on until you read the results in the paper the next day after you've missed it.

When does F-1 start?
                        I agree and disagree. I think the chase bullshit needs to end but otherwise I like the even competition where it's more driver vs driver than it was in the Petty years. The trucks are under promoted but they just don't have the appeal of the cars. But the truck series is a great launching pad for future Nascar stars. They just need a better time slot.
                        F-1? Any Americans or American engines being used in F-1? Not last time I looked.
                        Beware of Dog

Comment

• cadaverdog
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Hardrock69
                          She is smoking hot!!! *drool*

But I want her to win a race just because. The only woman we have had in motorsports who really has done great was Shirley (Chacha) Muldowney. And that was just drag racing.

I look forward to seeing a woman win a major NASCAR event, not to mention something in the Formula arena like the Indy 500.
                          She's a hottie, with a hothead. She won't win till she gives up the immediate retaliation bullshit where she crashes herself trying to wreck someone else.
                          Beware of Dog

Comment

• chefcraig
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Apr 2004

Originally posted by cadaverdog
                            F-1? Any Americans or American engines being used in F-1? Not last time I looked.
                            Not so much currently, but come on...the list of American F-1 racers includes names like Andretti, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, the Unsers, Mark Donohue, and Carroll Shelby, just to name a few.

Besides that, the tracks are awe inspiring, with exotic backdrops and compelling as hell wheel to wheel racing. It just sucks you have to wake up around 5 AM on a Sunday morning to watch the coverage. Fortunately, Speed Tv has started running afternoon same day replays over the past 5 years.

― Stephen Hawking

Comment

• cadaverdog
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Aug 2007

Not so much currently, but come on...the list of American F-1 racers includes names like Andretti, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, the Unsers, Mark Donohue, and Carroll Shelby, just to name a few.

Besides that, the tracks are awe inspiring, with exotic backdrops and compelling as hell wheel to wheel racing. It just sucks you have to wake up around 5 AM on a Sunday morning to watch the coverage. Fortunately, Speed Tv has started running afternoon same day replays over the past 5 years.
                              That was then. Indy car racing used to have mainly Americans with American made powerplants in the cars. Now it's all Euro or Asian.
                              Beware of Dog

Comment

Working...