Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woot! Danica Patrick Nabs Pole Position (????) In Daytona 500!!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status

Woot! Danica Patrick Nabs Pole Position (????) In Daytona 500!!!

Linky

Gottal love the title of the article.

Danica Patrick grabs Daytona 500 pole

A year after making her Sprint Cup Series debut in the same race, Danica Patrick will lead the field to the green flag for the Daytona 500 after qualifying on the pole during Sunday's front row qualifying session at Daytona International Speedway.

It wasn't necessarily a surprise. Patrick posted the fastest speed of Saturday's two qualifying practices and ran slightly faster during her second qualifying lap on Sunday, knocking owner and teammate Tony Stewart from the provisional pole. She's the first woman to win a pole position in Sprint Cup Series history.

Patrick, who went out 8th of 45 drivers, had to withstand challenges from her other teammate, Ryan Newman, and Jeff Gordon, who will start alongside her on the front row.

Perhaps most importantly, Patrick's qualifying run means she doesn't have to worry about qualifying for the Daytona 500 in Thursday's qualifying races. Patrick, who is running full-time in the Sprint Cup Series for the first time in 2013, was potentially at risk of missing the race with a poor performance on Thursday. While the odds of missing the race were slim – 45 cars are attempting to capture one of the 43 available starting positions – Patrick's performance Thursday has no bearing on her appearance in the 500.

Those two Budweiser Duel races set the field for the rest of the starting lineup for next Sunday's 500 mile race, with the first race setting odd-numbered positions 3-31 and the second race marking who will start in the even-numbered positions 4-32. The rest of the field will be filled out via qualifying speeds from Sunday's single car runs and provisionals.

Last year, Patrick officially started 29th, but was forced to start in the back of the field after crashing during her qualifying race and was caught up in a crash on lap three of the 500 after Elliott Sadler and Jimmie Johnson made contact. (If Patrick crashes again in Thursday's race and is forced to go to a backup car, she'll once again have to start in the back of the pack.) Patrick also started on the pole in last year's season opening Nationwide Series race, but crashed after contact with then-teammate Cole Whitt.

While some fans tire of all-things Danica Patrick, given her motorsports ubiquity, her qualifying effort guarantees to keep her in the spotlight for the next seven days leading up to the most famous race of the NASCAR season. However, as Patrick has garnered a lot of media attention in the recent weeks for her relationship with fellow driver and Rookie of the Year contender Ricky Stenhouse, this time, the attention will be because of her success on the track. And no matter your opinion of her, that's a good thing.

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I wish she would grab my pole. OH YEAH!

wos302.jpg

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    She is smoking hot!!! *drool*

But I want her to win a race just because. The only woman we have had in motorsports who really has done great was Shirley (Chacha) Muldowney. And that was just drag racing.

I look forward to seeing a woman win a major NASCAR event, not to mention something in the Formula arena like the Indy 500.

The Australian.
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    little indy car chickybabe...sexy bum.

do you guys know the pace car is one of our quality aussie designed and built ones? it's a holden!!!

http://www.sbnation.com/nascar/2013/...ficial-daytona

"EVERYBODY UP!!!"™
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This will be the first time in NASCAR history that the Daytona 500 pole positions will
    be occupied by two women... Danica Patrick AND Jeff Gordon!
    Trolls take heed...LOG OUT & FUCK OFF!!!

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Big crash with injured fans in the Busch race, the Daytona will still go on...

http://bcove.me/7iamxdk9

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    And what is NASCAR's first move to mediate the situation? Naturally, block images and video clips at Youtube and other social media sites made by fans in the stands depicting the crash and it's horrifying results upon the folks in the grandstands, saying (at first) it was a copyright issue, then amending that 45 minutes later attributing the actions were done "out of respect for the fans."

Hmmm, that same respect resulted not in a press statement starting with an open acknowledgment of the injured, instead it lead off with "the Daytona 500 will go on as scheduled."

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    And what is NASCAR's first move to mediate the situation? Naturally, block images and video clips at Youtube and other social media sites made by fans in the stands depicting the crash and it's horrifying results upon the folks in the grandstands, saying (at first) it was a copyright issue, then amending that 45 minutes later attributing the actions were done "out of respect for the fans."

Hmmm, that same respect resulted not in a press statement starting with an open acknowledgment of the injured, instead it lead off with "the Daytona 500 will go on as scheduled."
    I pretty much hate NASCAR...I'll probably watch the Daytona 500, and drink heavily and stair at breasts to alleviate the boredom of dumb, hick racing...

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I pretty much hate NASCAR...I'll probably watch the Daytona 500, and drink heavily and stair at breasts to alleviate the boredom of dumb, hick racing...
    Since Dale Earnhardt's death, the "sport" has become so deeply retarded it simply isn't worth investing much time or interest in. You have commentary offered by folks that sound like they just fell off of the back of a hay wagon, along with "strategy" offered by idiots like Rusty Wallace ("Look how slowly Kyle Busch is passing everyone!" - HUH?).

Not to mention that the racing itself has become boring as shit, with a handful of anonymously interchangeable drivers and tracks on hand to make the entire NASCAR experience tepid and intolerably sleep-inducing. The whole series should be sponsored by NyQuil.

At least the trucks are fun to watch, yet that series is so under-promoted you don't even know when a telecast is on until you read the results in the paper the next day after you've missed it.

When does F-1 start?

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

Ever since NASCAR told B. Labonte to suck it and he said no and they told him under no circumstance will you ever achieve a slot less than 18 - 22nd place or we will have your card revoked, I have hated the sport.

No wins in 10 years..? well might as well be... they are fucking him and he is riding to make bank and feed his family.

He is banking 5 mil a year rolling without playing there shit game of who is gonna be popular for the sport instead of best drivers out front.

P.S. Danica is dating a fellow racer ? If that doesn't work out for her she can park her Corvette right here on the end of my HUGE COOOOOOOOOCK!!
    2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dumb hick racing? Them dumb hicks could buy and sell your ass any day of the week. Them there hicks have made a buttload of cash from all over this country.
    Beware of Dog

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Since Dale Earnhardt's death, the "sport" has become so deeply retarded it simply isn't worth investing much time or interest in. You have commentary offered by folks that sound like they just fell off of the back of a hay wagon, along with "strategy" offered by idiots like Rusty Wallace ("Look how slowly Kyle Busch is passing everyone!" - HUH?).

Not to mention that the racing itself has become boring as shit, with a handful of anonymously interchangeable drivers and tracks on hand to make the entire NASCAR experience tepid and intolerably sleep-inducing. The whole series should be sponsored by NyQuil.

At least the trucks are fun to watch, yet that series is so under-promoted you don't even know when a telecast is on until you read the results in the paper the next day after you've missed it.

When does F-1 start?
    I agree and disagree. I think the chase bullshit needs to end but otherwise I like the even competition where it's more driver vs driver than it was in the Petty years. The trucks are under promoted but they just don't have the appeal of the cars. But the truck series is a great launching pad for future Nascar stars. They just need a better time slot.
    F-1? Any Americans or American engines being used in F-1? Not last time I looked.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post

But I want her to win a race just because. The only woman we have had in motorsports who really has done great was Shirley (Chacha) Muldowney. And that was just drag racing.

I look forward to seeing a woman win a major NASCAR event, not to mention something in the Formula arena like the Indy 500.
    She's a hottie, with a hothead. She won't win till she gives up the immediate retaliation bullshit where she crashes herself trying to wreck someone else.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by cadaverdog View Post
    F-1? Any Americans or American engines being used in F-1? Not last time I looked.
    Not so much currently, but come on...the list of American F-1 racers includes names like Andretti, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, the Unsers, Mark Donohue, and Carroll Shelby, just to name a few.

Besides that, the tracks are awe inspiring, with exotic backdrops and compelling as hell wheel to wheel racing. It just sucks you have to wake up around 5 AM on a Sunday morning to watch the coverage. Fortunately, Speed Tv has started running afternoon same day replays over the past 5 years.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not so much currently, but come on...the list of American F-1 racers includes names like Andretti, Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, the Unsers, Mark Donohue, and Carroll Shelby, just to name a few.

Besides that, the tracks are awe inspiring, with exotic backdrops and compelling as hell wheel to wheel racing. It just sucks you have to wake up around 5 AM on a Sunday morning to watch the coverage. Fortunately, Speed Tv has started running afternoon same day replays over the past 5 years.
    That was then. Indy car racing used to have mainly Americans with American made powerplants in the cars. Now it's all Euro or Asian.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still dig the every other Saturday racing at the local track. Park against the fence, bring your own grub/beer and any other party supplies you can use in the privacy of your own vehicle.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I have a hard time watching NASCAR to, just never got into it. That crash yesterday was really nasty though, reminded me of the scene from the Final Destination movie, pretty scary stuff (the accident, not the movie).

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

But I want her to win a race just because. .

The GoDaddy stripper races cars?

The only woman we have had in motorsports .. .

You are forgetting about....

(sorry. Fucking hate that guy. He is NOT is father. He is a douchebag)

RIP #3
    “Great losses often bring only a numb shock. To truly plunge a victim into misery, you must overwhelm him with many small sufferings.”

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I still dig the every other Saturday racing at the local track. Park against the fence, bring your own grub/beer and any other party supplies you can use in the privacy of your own vehicle.
    I hear ya, which makes the closing of Hialeah Speedway all the more heartbreaking. The Allisons got their start there, and every weekend you were guaranteed at least 3-4 great feature runs. Sadly, the track closed 7 years ago, and things have not been the same on Saturday nights here ever since. LINK

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I hear ya, which makes the closing of Hialeah Speedway all the more heartbreaking. The Allisons got their start there, and every weekend you were guaranteed at least 3-4 great feature runs. Sadly, the track closed 7 years ago, and things have not been the same on Saturday nights here ever since. LINK
    They tore down two local tracks, Saugus Speedway and Mesa Marin. Saugus was where Ron Hornaday started and Mesa Marin in Bakersfield gave us Harvick and a few minor drivers. Penske built a new track in Irwindale, around where they were talking about building a new stadium for the Raiders years ago. It was dark last season due to lack of income. Drag racing on the non pro level has dried up too.
    Last edited by cadaverdog; 02-24-2013 at 12:21 PM.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wouldn't watch NASCAR on a bet but this actually sounds fun.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    You are forgetting about....

(sorry. Fucking hate that guy. He is NOT is father. He is a douchebag)

RIP #3
    He's not his father but he's still a decent dude. He lives in a modular home but has a mansion for entertaining. He drives an older pickup truck instead of a status symbol.

ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Wouldn't watch NASCAR on a bet but this actually sounds fun.
    We yell ourselves hoarse. We get drunk and rowdy but every body gets along most of the time.

" Littering and...."
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ill probably watch the beginning and end of this..these driver intros are awkward..funny to watch

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Dumb hick racing? Them dumb hicks could buy and sell your ass any day of the week. Them there hicks have made a buttload of cash from all over this country.
    Who gives a fuck what they've made? They've made it off of other dumb hicks. Anytime I see the NASCAR logo outside a bar, you can tell that 90% of the time its intolerable and filled with red neck retards blaring loud, awful modern-country shit and skanky, horny hag bartenders...

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That was then. Indy car racing used to have mainly Americans with American made powerplants in the cars. Now it's all Euro or Asian.
    NASCAR's are powered with crude, retrograde technology that lacks sophistication. The 150mph billboard thing is also way overdone and annoying as shit with every square inch of the cars festooned with some stupid engine additive or tampons..
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 02-24-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jesus. Did anyone see 50-cent creeping out Erin Andrews by following her around like a total douchebag on the prerace coverage?

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He's not his father but he's still a decent dude. He lives in a modular home but has a mansion for entertaining. He drives an older pickup truck instead of a status symbol.

I'm still not sold. But I like what you said if true.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Jr.'s got an authentic old west town on his property with a kick ass saloon!

American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Patrick is back in first for the first time since the first lap.....on lap 91...well that lasted about a lap.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like we are back to freight train, single file racing, where no one car has the power to pass another. This is progress? Probably the biggest racing snore-fest I've seen in years. Too bad it wasn't a night race, I could have gone to bed early...then again, I would have missed the Walking Dead and Bar Rescue.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Danica got 8th place.

Found out about the DirecTV dispute. Sinclair Broadcasting group is threatening to remove DirecTV's ability to show Fox in some markets by demanding DirecTV pay twice what they were to see programming viewable for free over the air.

Just a corporate pissing match between an independent corporate broadcasting company not owned by Murdcoch and DirecTV.

Current DIRECTV Negotiations
    Sinclair Broadcasting Network Updates

We’re engaged in productive discussions with Sinclair Broadcast Group to retain their local stations in the DIRECTV line-up. Despite Sinclair’s attempts to alarm everyone, our customers can rest assured no one is going to disrupt their programming. Sinclair has used the same tactics to frighten customers of every other major TV provider without actually taking down its stations. We will compensate Sinclair fairly, but our customers should not be forced to pay more than twice as much for the same programs that remain free to watch over the air and online.

Affected cities:

http://directvpromise.files.wordpres...ted-cities.pdf

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I vaguely recall Direct TV getting into a similar dispute with Viacom a while back.

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    Old Fuckin' School
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    That race absolutely sucked....
    Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Looks like we are back to freight train, single file racing, where no one car has the power to pass another. This is progress? Probably the biggest racing snore-fest I've seen in years. Too bad it wasn't a night race, I could have gone to bed early...then again, I would have missed the Walking Dead and Bar Rescue.
    It's supposed to be stock car racing right? Well let's go back to actually racing stock cars then. More things to go wrong and more potential fuck ups. The speeds would be lower but not knowing what is going to happen and where anyone could pull it out and win would be the thrill.
    No! You can't have the keys to the wine cellar!

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Some people are trying to get an electric car racing circuit going but their market research is showing people would loose interest quick due to the lack of engine noise. Apparently they have some cars that can really haul ass and battery technology or battery pack replacement that can keep them going in a real race.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It's supposed to be stock car racing right? Well let's go back to actually racing stock cars then. More things to go wrong and more potential fuck ups. The speeds would be lower but not knowing what is going to happen and where anyone could pull it out and win would be the thrill.
    The problem is these damned restrictor plates. The cars simply don't have the torque to pull out and pass each other. They tried changing the aero package to keep cars out of the fence, and that sure as hell didn't work so great.

Fuck it, let 'em run six cylinder engines and remove the plates, for crying out loud.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Va Beach VH Fan View Post
    That race absolutely sucked....
    They could mount guns on the front of the cars and allow the driver to shoot the the other cars. That would make it more interesting. The race probably would be shorter.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The problem is these damned restrictor plates. The cars simply don't have the torque to pull out and pass each other. They tried changing the aero package to keep cars out of the fence, and that sure as hell didn't work so great.

Fuck it, let 'em run six cylinder engines and remove the plates, for crying out loud.
    So the safety police made it boring? It's car racing. It's supposed to be dangerous. People don't come to see the race. They come to see the crash. People who want a safe job become accountants.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    So the safety police made it boring? It's car racing. It's supposed to be dangerous. People don't come to see the race. They come to see the crash. People who want a safe job become accountants.
    Well, after Bobby Allison took a ride in the catch fence and folks got hurt, NASCAR realized they had to do something. Although not as bad as Mercedes at LeManns in the fifties (82 dead, over a hundred more hurt, it was a PR nightmare, resulting in Mercedes quitting racing for thirty some odd years), you have to figure the memory of that event played into the sanctioning body's minds. Injuring or killing your fan base is pretty much a bad idea.

Thread Information