X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WARF
    DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

David Lee Roth - Hina

This has always been my favorite song on , "Skyscraper".

• Cato
    Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

love this song too.

didn't you start the same thread a few years ago?
    Don't notice most of my posts are less than 2 lines...

Fender Custom Shop Owners Club

Gibson Custom Shop Owners Club

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• WARF
      DIAMOND STATUS
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Cato
      love this song too.

didn't you start the same thread a few years ago?
      I don't remember.

Skyscraper was one of Dave's weaker efforts IMO...

But this song has so much atmosphere.

I'm not saying I don't like skyscraper, but it was pale in comparison to EEAS.

Comment

• Cato
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

I agree WARF.

to me, Skyscraper is like a "corporate rock" album.
        but if "Stand Up" was not on there, I might've had a different impression.

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

I agree WARF.

to me, Skyscraper is like a "corporate rock" album.
          but if "Stand Up" was not on there, I might've had a different impression.
          It took many years for me to like, "Stand Up". That song always represented to me the beginning of Roth's declining solo career. It was just a bad choice for the 2nd single of Skyscraper. I would have went with either Hina or Damn Good.

Comment

• Zing!
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

Its been said countless times in countless other threads, but strip the entire thing down and release it as a digital album. Sales at the Army alone would probably cover the cost of remastering. Just don't let Vai anywhere near the project...
            My karma just ran over your dogma.

Comment

• Zing!
              Veteran
              • Oct 2011

Originally posted by WARF
              It took many years for me to like, "Stand Up". That song always represented to me the beginning of Roth's declining solo career. It was just a bad choice for the 2nd single of Skyscraper. I would have went with either Hina or Damn Good.
              Stand Up is a clear case of the video being worse than the song (although not by much). It doesn't pass the kid test - meaning that's the point on the Cato DVD in which my kids get bored and walk away. A truly lousy vid, it was nice to see DLR redeem himself with ALAE.

Comment

• WARF
                DIAMOND STATUS
                • Jan 2004

The song "Just like Paradise" was originally supposed to be used for the sitcom "Beverly Hills 90210" but it was rejected by Roth's management I don't think that was a smart move. If high school kids who watched that show religiously throughout the early 90's were introduced to Roth's music, maybe it would have carried over into the popularity of "A little Ain't Enough".

Speaking of ALAE, Bob Rock aka the band killer may have also cursed David Lee Roth. It seems like every band he works with begins the decline of their careers. It's almost similar to the curse of Madonna's kiss.

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zing!
                  Stand Up is a clear case of the video being worse than the song (although not by much). It doesn't pass the kid test - meaning that's the point on the Cato DVD in which my kids get bored and walk away. A truly lousy vid, it was nice to see DLR redeem himself with ALAE.
                  I disagree with you ZING! , I think the video was the only redeeming aspect of the song. It's definitely not Roth's best videos, but it has a campy cheesy 80's vibe to it, and the chicks in the video are worthy of a full erection in WARF's boxers. I like the video. Let's not forget about Vai in the trenchcoat with his triple neck heart guitar (or was that Just Like Paradise video?) regardless that was the epitome of cool.

Comment

• 78/84 guy
                    Crazy Ass Mofo
                    • Apr 2005

I don't remember.

Skyscraper was one of Dave's weaker efforts IMO...

But this song has so much atmosphere.

I'm not saying I don't like skyscraper, but it was pale in comparison to EEAS.
                    Album was a little soft. And after Eat Em' I didn't get all of it. It's still a good album. Hina is a great song.

Comment

• Zing!
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

I like the video. Let's not forget about Vai in the trenchcoat with his triple neck heart guitar (or was that Just Like Paradise video?) regardless that was the epitome of cool.
                      Cooler than Haggar's red jumpsuit in their Nanananana video, yes. But the epitome of cool? Not in the 1988 that I remember (or any other decade before or since). If that was cool to you then I need to see snapshots of your late 80's wardrobe attire. Dave AND Vai looked like douches in that video. I thought it then and I still think it now. Love Dave, but he struck out on that video.

Comment

• Cato
                        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

haha. I'll omit that song when I recreate the DVD in the future!

btw is yours "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" or "Blast From Pasadena"?

Cato's YouTube Channel

Comment

• WARF
                          DIAMOND STATUS
                          • Jan 2004

Cooler than Haggar's red jumpsuit in their Nanananana video, yes. But the epitome of cool? Not in the 1988 that I remember (or any other decade before or since). If that was cool to you then I need to see snapshots of your late 80's wardrobe attire. Dave AND Vai looked like douches in that video. I thought it then and I still think it now. Love Dave, but he struck out on that video.
                          Sammy Hagar has turned into a clone of Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski".

As far as my wardrobe back in 1988, I was just a long haired metal head back then. I had Slayer "South of Heaven" and Metallica "And Justice for all.." both on cassette on my walkman playing back and forth constantly.... I was the kid calling Adam Curry 10 times a day on DIAL-MTV trying to get the Metallica "One" video as the top video of the day.

Comment

• Zing!
                            Veteran
                            • Oct 2011

btw is yours "Napalm Up Yo' Ass" or "Blast From Pasadena"?
                            Uhhh... I dunno? DonnieP?

P.S. You gotta leave it on there Cato-San. There are more than a few D-Ro videos I don't jive to, but we must celebrate the man's entire catalog, turkeys and all. If nothing else it helps expose Army members with fetishes for sailor suits, designer cowboy boots, and close-cropped bangs.

Comment

• Zing!
                              Veteran
                              • Oct 2011

Sammy Hagar has turned into a clone of Jeff Bridges in "The Big Lebowski".

Dude - I JUST watched that movie this weekend and I swear to god I thought the same thing. Weirdness! I was considering being The Dude this Halloween, but now I'm worried people might ask me: "Are you Sammy Haggar?"

Comment

Working...