DIAMOND STATUS
    • Jan 2004

David Lee Roth - Big Trouble

Hands down my favorite song on "EEAS"

Anyone else agree?

• Coyote
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2004

I'm still trying to nail the solo... 'Tis a challenging one.
    Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
    It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

• lesfunk
      Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by WARF
      Hands down my favorite song on "EEAS"

Anyone else agree?
      No...
      http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• lesfunk
        Full Member Status

• Jan 2004

Elephant Gun
        Shyboy
        Tobacco Road
        Bump and Grind
        I'm easy
        all greater than...
        http://gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=4448212&t=o GIFSoup

Comment

• WARF
          DIAMOND STATUS
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by lesfunk
          Elephant Gun
          Shyboy
          Tobacco Road
          Bump and Grind
          I'm easy
          all greater than...
          Every song is pretty awesome! I would have EEAS ranked just as high as any album from the "6 pack" but I think That's Life should have been on the Crazy From The Heat ep. I ain't saying I don't like that song, it just doesn't fit well on the album.

Believe it or not "Ladies Night In Buffalo" I'd rank as my second favorite after "Big Trouble". I love the Vai solo in that song. It's just plain awesome.... pretty much like everything on Eat Em And Smile.
          Last edited by WARF; 02-25-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• sandy toes
            Roth Army Recruit
            • Feb 2013

Agreement here. Roth has a great vibe going on this song. Steve Vai's best tone on the album is on this song.

Comment

• Terry
              TOASTMASTER GENERAL
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Coyote
              I'm still trying to nail the solo... 'Tis a challenging one.
              It was actually kind of amazing hearing boots of the 1986 tour and listening to Vai nail it note-for-note just like on the album: that solo sounded like something he totally improvised (and maybe he did), but if that's the case to be able to go back and play it with that much accuracy is pretty astounding.
              Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• Terry
                TOASTMASTER GENERAL
                • Jan 2004

Every song is pretty awesome! I would have EEAS ranked just as high as any album from the "6 pack" but I think That's Life should have been on the Crazy From The Heat ep. I ain't saying I don't like that song, it just doesn't fit well on the album.

Believe it or not "Ladies Night In Buffalo" I'd rank as my second favorite after "Big Trouble". I love the Vai solo in that song. It's just plain awesome.... pretty much like everything on Eat Em And Smile.
                That's Life and I'm Easy both kinda sound like they would have fit a little better on Crazy From The Heat...

Not bad tunes, agreed, but considering how slammingly brutal the rest of the proceedings are, they both seem out of place...I'm Easy even more so than That's Life...

I mean, Yankee Rose, Shyboy and then...I'm Easy (?)...followed by Ladies Night in Buffalo...kind of odd sequencing.
                Scramby eggs and bacon.

Comment

• WARF
                  DIAMOND STATUS
                  • Jan 2004

Here's the Demo for "Big Trouble"

Comment

• WARF
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                    That's Life and I'm Easy both kinda sound like they would have fit a little better on Crazy From The Heat...

Not bad tunes, agreed, but considering how slammingly brutal the rest of the proceedings are, they both seem out of place...I'm Easy even more so than That's Life...

I mean, Yankee Rose, Shyboy and then...I'm Easy (?)...followed by Ladies Night in Buffalo...kind of odd sequencing.
                    I meant to include, "I'm Easy" to that list.

I agree with you a 100% take out those two and you got a flawless album. Hell, let's take out "Hina" and "Damn Good" from skyscraper and replace them. Imagine That!

Comment

• WARF
                      DIAMOND STATUS
                      • Jan 2004

Steve Vai telling a story about some chick funneling beer in her ass from the "Eat Em' And Smile" tour!

Comment

• thismusicsux
                        Full On Cocktard
                        • Oct 2012

yup.. I'd say these are my fav
                        1. Big Trouble
                        2. Ladies Night -- great solo
                        3. elephant gun
                        etc...

I don't mind the 2 big band songs. yeah they wouldve fit perfectly on the EP though.

Comment

• atlantakat
                          Roth Army Recruit
                          • Oct 2010

I'm with WARF on this one.

I used to blast Big Trouble in the car singing along with Dave and then hit rewind and do it again and again. While I liked the rest of EEAS, Big Trouble was by far my favorite song.

It's funny, tells a story, the guitar comments on the characters (love Vai speaking as the "Mouse" character throughout the song), it has a killer punchy power chord chorus and then that soaring magical bridge -- for me, the best combination of Dave's melodic/philosophic side with Vai's compositional grandeur captured on record.

Vai was and is a complete Monster and his solo beginning with the octaves interlude is an absolutely killer tour de force. I too spent many a moon reviewing the transcription of that solo and never got anywhere near playing it cleanly, let alone at tempo. The dude can make the most difficult passages seem absolutely effortless.

Comment

• Lose The Dress
                            Roth Army Recruit
                            • Dec 2013

My favorite from EEAS changes from time to time. Right now I would tend to agree on Big Trouble, with Ladies Nite and Bump N Grind right behind it. I can listen to that album all day every day and never grow tired of it.

Comment

• Coyote
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Terry
                              It was actually kind of amazing hearing boots of the 1986 tour and listening to Vai nail it note-for-note just like on the album: that solo sounded like something he totally improvised (and maybe he did), but if that's the case to be able to go back and play it with that much accuracy is pretty astounding.
                              Apparently, that's the side-effect of attending Berklee... And kickstarting a career with Frank Zappa...

(I still haven't nailed that last tapping part of the solo, BTW. But it is within reach.)
                              Last edited by Coyote; 12-24-2013, 04:21 AM.
                              Why settle for something you have, if it's not as good as something you're out to get?

Originally posted by Seshmeister
                              It's like putting up a YouTube of Bach and playing Chopstix on your Bontempi...

Comment

Working...