DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

nfl free agency 2013

http://www.nfl.com/

packers lookin' at steven jackson...
    Another one of those classic genius posts, sure to generate responses. You log on the next day to see what your witty gem has produced to find no one gets it and 2 knotheads want to stick their dicks in it... Well played, sir!!

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/

packers lookin' at steven jackson...
    Was coming here to start this very thread lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In yet another sign that the most-expected, least-surprising move of the offseason will come to fruition, Mike Wallace is in Miami taking a physical.

While the Steelers wideout has been widely speculated to be headed there for what seems like months, Jeff Darlington of NFL.com reports that he’s taking the physical after agreeing to a contract.

The Dolphins were hell-bent on adding a receiving threat for second-year quarterback Ryan Tannehill, and unless Wallace changes his mind while the doc’s looking at him, they appear to have shaken their reputation for being nothing more than leverage.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-for-dolphins/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    According to multiple reports, the Colts have agreed to a deal with Lions tackle Gosder Cherilus, and are visiting with safety LaRon Landry. They’re also reported to be in pursuit of Lions defensive end Cliff Avril.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...grees-to-deal/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Browns put their pile of salary cap room to use quickly Tuesday, signing Ravens outside linebacker Paul Kruger to a five-year deal worth $40 million, according to multiple reports.

The 27-year-old pass-rusher will be the centerpiece of new coordinator Ray Horton’s defense, and has the double benefit of taking away a key player from a division rival.

Kruger had 9.0 sacks in the regular season to lead the Ravens, and adding 4.5 more in the playoffs, setting the stage for his payday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...l-with-browns/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Ryan Fitzpatrick era is over, and Buffalo needs a new quarterback.

The Bills have announced that they cut Ryan Fitzpatrick today, on the first day of the new league year.

Cutting Fitzpatrick isn’t a big surprise, considering that the Bills owed him a $3 million roster bonus if he was still on the team tomorrow, and that Bills G.M. Buddy Nix was surreptitiously taped talking about, among other things, his frustration that the quarterback was holding the team back.

The six-year, $59 million contract extension Fitzpatrick signed in October of 2011 turned out to be an expensive mistake — and a reminder that sometimes in the NFL, “six-year contracts” last less than a year and a half. If the Bills give this move a post-June 1 designation, Fitpatrick’s cap hit would be $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

Now the question is where the Bills will look for their next starting quarterback. This isn’t viewed as a great year to draft one, but the Bills may decide to spend their first-round draft pick on a passer they hope will be their franchise quarterback.

And the question for Fitzpatrick is whether any team wants him. If any team does, it will likely be as a backup — and will definitely be for a lot less money than the Bills paid him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-fitzpatrick/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Reggie Bush is now a free agent, for the first time in his career. Per multiple sources, he’ll visit the Lions first.

The Lions, we’re told, are nervous about Bush leaving without a contract. The market has heated up for Bush as free agency approached.

The Cardinals also are interested in Bush. As mentioned earlier in the afternoon, Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III wants Bush in Washington.

Some think Bush is destined to land a deal that pays, on average, $3 million to $4 million per year. He was paid a base salary of $4.5 million in 2012 by Miami.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-leaves-town/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One of the breakout players of the Ravens’ Super Bowl run has found a new home.

Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe has agreed to terms with the Dolphins, Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reported Tuesday.

The 27-year-old Ellerbe notched 32 tackles in four postseason games for the Ravens, including nine in Super Bowl XLVII.

Ellerbe was No. 39 on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents.

With Ellerbe and outside linebacker / defensive end Paul Kruger departing in free agency and with middle linebacker Ray Lewis retiring, the Ravens have lost three key contributors from a title-winning defense.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...nnell-ellerbe/

Sent from my Nexus 7

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ravens agreed to terms with DT Chris Canty, formerly of the Giants.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    We reported last night that the Packers are the current leaders to land running back Steven Jackson.

But that doesn’t mean Jackson will be breaking the bank.

According to Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Packers have indeed expressed interest in Jackson. However, they refuse to get involved in a bidding war for him, or to become leverage for a deal Jackson does elsewhere.

Silverstein suggests that the Packers’ decision to bring in Chiefs running back Peyton Hillis for a visit could be aimed at sending a message to Jackson that the train will soon be leaving the station. (I know that’s Shad Khan’s line, but I like it.)

There’s also a chance that Hillis will replace fan favorite John Kuhn, who is getting pretty pricey for a fullback at $2.5 million.Regardless, if Jackson wants to play a significant role for a contending team, Green Bay could be his best option. And he’s been around the NFL long enough to realize it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-on-the-cheap/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    As one of last year’s Sunday Night Football games went to break, producer extraordinaire Fred Gaudelli played the song Driver’s Seat. Peter King and I quickly tried to recall the name of the band.

I guessed Foghat, primarily because I like saying the word “Foghat.” It was actually the one hit from one-hit wonder Sniff ‘n’ the Tears.

And then I couldn’t get the song out of my head for like 10 days.

It’s now clanging around in my relatively hollow noggin again, after typing the headline to this story. But it was the only way to describe the current situation in Baltimore.

With Ray Lewis gone and Anquan Boldin gone and Paul Kruger gone and Dannell Ellerbe gone, the Ravens have to keep Ed Reed. Which means that they may be paying more for Reed than they wanted to pay.

It all started, in our view, with the gamble the Ravens made in 2012 regarding Joe Flacco’s contract. They didn’t give him what he wanted at the time, knowing that if he led the team to the Super Bowl they’d have to pay the piper at the appropriate time.

The problem is that, when the Super Bowl MVP gets a new contract only a few weeks after the game and becomes the highest-paid player in league history in the process, it becomes very difficult to persuade anyone else on the team to take anything less than top dollar.

It was already a foregone conclusion that the Ravens couldn’t/wouldn’t give Kruger what he could get elsewhere. But the Ravens misplayed their hand with receiver Anquan Boldin, taking advantage of his “I’ll retire if I’m cut” comments to Pro Football Talk and trying to squeeze him into taking less money.

Why should he take less money when the Super Bowl MVP is getting $20.1 million per year? The fact that at least two other teams were willing to absorb Boldin’s $6 million salary proves that, for a player of his caliber, $6 million for one year isn’t too much.

The Ravens may have similarly underestimated Ellerbe, who said last month, “My heart is in Baltimore, I love Baltimore, I love the fans, I love talking to y’all guys and I know I’m not going to talk to y’all somewhere else.”

It all changes once a $29 million check gets written to Flacco. If winning the Super Bowl means getting paid if you can and there’s a team willing to pay more than the Ravens, then you chase the cash.

That’s why the Patriots apparently tried, subtly, to create the impression that Tom Brady’s new contract results in less money in the future and less money now. When guys like Wes Welker are considering the possibility of making more elsewhere, the “take less and win” vibe can make a difference.

In Baltimore, the Ravens’ gamble resulted in Flacco getting the more not less — and it has created an atmosphere where everyone else justifiably wants that, too.

Advantage Ed Reed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-with-ravens/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Lions want Reggie Bush to sign a contract with them before he goes to visit any other teams.

According to Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports, part of the package that they’ll be offering Bush is the chance to be their starting running back ahead of Mikel Leshoure. That would seem to be significant for a player who proved in Miami that he could handle a more rigorous workload than he had in New Orleans, especially with some of the other teams perceived to be bidding for his services unable to offer the same kind of playing time.

The Redskins have Alfred Morris and the Bengals have BenJarvus Green-Ellis, players who would at least split time with Bush and might even push him into more of a passing down role. Bruce Arians has talked up Ryan Williams in Arizona, although it’s less clear how things would shake out since we’ve seen so little of Williams during his first two professional seasons.

The Cardinals have quarterback issues that none of the other three teams have, however, and that would likely be on Bush’s mind before choosing his next destination.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-starting-job/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Having lost tight end Anthony Fasano to the Chiefs while they were throwing money at Mike Wallace and linebackers, the Dolphins are back in the hunt for an offensive complement Wednesday.

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, the Dolphins are bringing Jets tight end Dustin Keller for a visit.

He’s been an excellent receiving threat when well, but played just eight games last year with ankle problems.

Of course, the Jets general offensive malaise would have depressed his numbers anyway, but considering what he’s had to work with, he’s still put together solid stats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-for-a-visit/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Receiver Brandon Gibson is a free agent, and he’s drawing early interest. Per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Gibson will visit the Jets on Wednesday.

If Gibson can’t strike a deal with the Jets, he’ll hop a plane for South Florida, where the Dolphins could keep expanding their free-agent haul.

In 16 games with 13 starts, Gibson caught 51 passes for 691 yards and five touchdowns.

New York’s interest likely traces to the fact that Gibson started his career in Philly, working with new Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...randon-gibson/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    According to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin, there’s a growing feeling Jennings could still return. He reports that the Packers offered a deal worth in the neighborhood of $10 million a year, and that there had been discussions between his agent and the team recently about a return.

Without the Dolphins to use as leverage, it became harder for the second-best target at the wide receiver position to get a deal any bigger.

While there had been reports about the Vikings showing interest, that never materialized Tuesday.

“I definitely have some destinations in mind and I’m going to keep them close to the vest,” Jennings said on ESPN’s NFL Live. “I’m just enjoying this opportunity to be in free agency. A lot of players don’t get to experience this opportunity, and I’m one that does. So I’m going to embrace the opportunity and take my visits when we get those taken care of and lined up and I’m excited about it.”

But unless the Vikings change their minds, or other receiver-needy suitors emerge, the Packers may still have a shot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...packers-offer/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Patriots and free agent receiver Wes Welker have a lot of work to do if they want to get a deal done.

As the second day of free agency begins, Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald reports that a deal “isn’t anywhere near close to happening” and that the Patriots and Welker’s camp are “miles apart.” Ian Rapoport of NFL Network described talks between the Patriots and Welker as “over.”

That doesn’t mean those talks couldn’t start again. But it does mean the Patriots, who say they want Welker to stay with the team for the rest of his career, haven’t offered him anything resembling the kind of contract that he believes a receiver who has topped 110 catches in five of the last six seasons deserves.

The problem for Welker is that teams don’t pay for what you’ve done in the past. Teams pay for what they think you can do in the future. And as great as Welker has been in New England, other teams aren’t lining up to offer him huge money because they’re not convinced he can replicate his success in any other offense.

Which means it’s still possible that Welker will survey free agency and discover that no team is offering him more money than New England. Even if the money New England is offering is a lot less than Welker wants.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...re-near-close/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Two of the final first-round picks of the late Al Davis’ long and storied tenure with Oakland are gone.

The Raiders announced the release of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and safety Michael Huff on Tuesday. The Raiders also let go of defensive end Dave Tollefson.

Huff and Heyward-Bey were each No. 7 overall picks in their respective drafts, with Heyward-Bey selected in 2009 and Huff taken in 2006.

Huff started all 16 games in 2012, with 14 at cornerback after injuries necessitated a move outside. Heyward-Bey caught 41-606-5 in 15 games, missing one contest after suffering a concussion after a scary looking hit against Pittsburgh.

Per Rotoworld figures, Heyward-Bey was slated to make $7.7 million in 2013, with Huff due $8 million.

The Raiders also announced the re-signing of defensive back Phillip Adams.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-michael-huff/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Cornerback Chris Houston agreed to a five-year deal to return to the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, his agents announced on Twitter.

Houston had two interceptions, two forced fumbles and 56 tackles last season for Detroit, his third season with the Lions. He had a career-best five interceptions in 2011.

In 87 career games he has 332 tackles, 11 interceptions and four forced fumbles.

Houston, 28, was drafted in the second-round of the 2007 draft by the Atlanta Falcons

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...-detroit-lions

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Cornerback Chris Houston agreed to a five-year deal to return to the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, his agents announced on Twitter.

Houston had two interceptions, two forced fumbles and 56 tackles last season for Detroit, his third season with the Lions. He had a career-best five interceptions in 2011.

In 87 career games he has 332 tackles, 11 interceptions and four forced fumbles.

Houston, 28, was drafted in the second-round of the 2007 draft by the Atlanta Falcons

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...-detroit-lions

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Very happy to see this, Houston has been the only reliable player in the secondary for the Lions, now we just need to restructure Stafford's deal and get a solid, speedy RB, some safety help, and draft DE help.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

The six-year, $59 million contract extension Fitzpatrick signed in October of 2011 turned out to be an expensive mistake — and a reminder that sometimes in the NFL, “six-year contracts” last less than a year and a half. If the Bills give this move a post-June 1 designation, Fitpatrick’s cap hit would be $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-fitzpatrick/
    I dunno about that. I wasn't a huge Fitzpatrick fan as a starting QB - he too often missed big throws gamer QB's are supposed to make and lacked accuracy - but at the time prior to the contract he was earning less than the backup they got from KC and had had a good year previously. The guy lacked an arm though he had heart, he played injured for the slide of games they lost with bad ribs in '11 and still kept it secret. He still was one of the least paid starting QB's and the contract insured he would not receive a large amount of guaranteed money. There's going to be cap hits and choices no matter what you do, and maybe the overall contract was a mistake in scope. But you have to pay your guys not matter what or you have zero cred...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-13-2013 at 10:54 AM.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Matthew Stafford pulled into the Detroit Lions' practice facility around 8:15 a.m. today. About an hour later, a white limo followed, carrying the Lions' top free agent target: Reggie Bush.

Bush, Houston Texans safety Glover Quin and Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jason Jones are in town for free agent visits today, and the Lions are hoping to ink all three to contracts before they leave.

Bush ran for 986 yards for the Dolphins last year, and the Lions believe he can invigorate a running game that ranked 23rd in the league last season and still hasn't recovered from the loss of Jahvid Best to injuries.

Bush is being pursued by at least two other teams, and reportedly could visit the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals if he leaves Detroit without a contract.

Stafford is one of several players trying to help the Lions woo the 28-year-old Bush, who won a Super Bowl ring in 2009 with the New Orleans Saints and spent the last two seasons as the lead running back in Miami.

The Lions quarterback started following Bush on Twitter last month and could be one of the aces that helps get Bush to Detroit.

He's a more talented quarterback than either the Cardinals (who could draft one in the first round) or Bengals have on their roster, though Andy Dalton has led Cincinnati to the playoffs the last two years.

Quin, considered the best cover safety on the market, started every game for the Texans the last three years. He likely would replace Louis Delmas in what could be a revamped Lions secondary.

Jones played his rookie season for Lions coach Jim Schwartz in Tennessee and has ties to the area, having played at Southfield-Lathrup and Eastern Michigan. He had three sacks in 12 games last year and could start at defensive end or be a rotational piece at end and tackle.

http://m.freep.com/latestheadlines/a...0313040&f=1231

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    I dunno about that. I wasn't a huge Fitzpatrick fan as a starting QB - he too often missed big throws gamer QB's are supposed to make and lacked accuracy - but at the time prior to the contract he was earning less than the backup they got from KC and had had a good year previously. The guy lacked an arm though he had heart, he played injured for the slide of games they lost with bad ribs in '11 and still kept it secret. He still was one of the least paid starting QB's and the contract insured he would not receive a large amount of guaranteed money. There's going to be cap hits and choices no matter what you do, and maybe the overall contract was a mistake in scope. But you have to pay your guys not matter what or you have zero cred...
    I agree the contract initially seemed like a decent one for the Bills but he has developed into a backup quality QB at best making him an easy choice to cut. I still find the whole mess with the Bill's GM hilarious though lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree the contract initially seemed like a decent one for the Bills but he has developed into a backup quality QB at best making him an easy choice to cut. I still find the whole mess with the Bill's GM hilarious though lol

Sent from my Nexus 7
    That said, he is still better then rHomo

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    DT Jason Jones agreed to a deal with the Lions, according to his agent, Mike McCartney. Read it on the Lions Facebook feed.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Chiefs have agreed to a deal with Colts free agent wide receiver Donnie Avery, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Wednesday.

The 28-year-old Avery caught 60 passes for 781 yards and three touchdowns for Indianapolis in 2012. You may recall his last-play, game-winning dash to beat the Lions in Detroit in December.

Avery adds another playmaking presence to a Chiefs wide receiver corps led by Dwayne Bowe. Third-year wideout Jon Baldwin has also shown some flashes of promise.

Avery has rebounded well from a 2010 knee injury that kept him off the field for a season. He signed with the Colts last March after stints with the Rams (who drafted him with the No. 33 pick in 2008) and the Titans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-donnie-avery/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    After cutting James Harrison, the climate wasn’t good for overpriced veterans in Pittsburgh.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers have released offensive lineman Willie Colon.

This one has been coming for a while, and was no surprise. Colon was scheduled to make $5.5 million, and when the Steelers didn’t approach him about a restructure, it was clear they were ready to move on with younger linemen.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-willie-colon/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Baltimore Ravens will release strong safety Bernard Pollard after he takes his physical Wednesday morning, according to a team source.

Pollard, 29, was the leading tackler last season for the Super Bowl champions and was the team's physical presence in the secondary. He forced a key fumble in the AFC Championship Game in New England, when he delivered a vicious hit on New England Patriots running back Stevan Ridley.

Pollard broke the news of his upcoming release when he posted on Twitter: "Well Raven Nation it's been fun. My time in Baltimore is done... Thank you!"

Ravens fullback Vonta Leach reacted with surprise to Pollard's news in a tweet of his own Wednesday.

"Wow my boy @Crushboy31 is gone great teammate and father on and off the field," he wrote.

Pollard finished his second season with the Ravens, leading the team with 98 tackles. He also had two sacks and an interception.

This offseason, the Ravens have already lost seven members from their Super Bowl team.

Baltimore has released Pollard and guard Bobbie Williams, traded wide receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, lost linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger in free agency and watched linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retire.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/90...pollard-source

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The first-ever Reggie Bush free-agency tour was a short one.

Per a league source, the Lions and Bush have agreed to terms on a new contract.

Bush reportedly was offered the starting job in Detroit, something that other interested teams may not have been willing (Cardinals) or able (Redskins) to do. For Bush, playing time is far more important than money, given that he has made a whole lot of it in seven NFL seasons, entering the league as the second overall pick in the draft and striking plenty of lucrative endorsement deals.

He proved during two years in Miami that he can be a durable, every-down back. But as running backs go he’s getting long in the tooth. It’s unclear how many years he has left.

Given that the Lions possess one of the best passing attacks in the league, there should be plenty of running lanes for Bush, along with opportunities for swing passes in zones cleared out by Calvin Johnson.

Terms of the deal aren’t yet known. Regardless, the Lions got a little better today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-have-a-deal/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Dolphins had money to spend on linebackers, but not for the guy they spent the first pick in the 2008 Draft on.

Now, Jake Long has a new home, as Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports Long has agreed to a contract with the Rams.

While that might now start a chain reaction of line moves, it gives Sam Bradford the kind of protection he’s lacked.

If Long holds up physically, it’s potentially a good move for the Rams, though the Dolphins were apparently concerned about that being the case. That clears the way for the Dolphins to move Jonathan Martin to left tackle after a year on the right.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eal-with-rams/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    A string of surprising moves in Baltimore extended on Wednesday to a player who supposedly was safe.

Safety Bernard Pollard is out, and everyone is wondering why.

As one league source said in response to the news, “Three teams in how many years. Soon four. What does that tell you?”

Another source says that Pollard has a reputation for being outspoken, for complaining, and for drawing too much attention to himself. He wears on a team, with his talent keeping him around for a second year or third year.

More specifically, we’re now getting the clear impression that last year’s incident that, as reported by Mike Silver of Yahoo! Sports, was “practically a mutiny,” has contributed to the departure of Pollard — and could result in more players being purged.

And he’s where it gets really interesting. (Or at least less uninteresting.) Silver specifically mentioned Pollard and Ed Reed as instigators of the mutiny.

Coincidentally, we’re now getting indications that the Ravens don’t want Reed back.

So while coach John Harbaugh handled a difficult situation very well at the time (as evidenced by the team’s Super Bowl trophy), it looks like Harbaugh may have decided that, at the appropriate time, he’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...llard-release/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Former Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall is heading to Arizona.

The Cardinals signed Mendenhall to a one-year contract, agent Mike McCartney wrote on Twitter.

The 25-year-old Mendenhall was a 2008 first-round pick of the Steelers, and he showed promise when he became the starter in Pittsburgh in his second season, toping 1,000 yards in both 2009 and 2010. But Mendenhall fell out of favor with the team in 2012, fumbling too much, losing his starting job and clashing with the coaching staff.

Now Mendenhall will be reunited with Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians, who was the Steelers’ offensive coordinator in Mendenhall’s first four seasons in Pittsburgh. In Arizona, Mendenhall will compete with Ryan Williams for the starting job. The Cardinals were also interested in signing Reggie Bush, but when Bush went to Detroit, the Cardinals acted fast to ink Mendenhall to a contract.

The Broncos were also interested in acquiring Mendenhall, but Denver will have to look elsewhere to fill its running back needs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rd-mendenhall/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Detroit Lions have made a big addition to their suspect secondary.

Glover Quin, a safety who has been a starter for the Texans since they drafted him in 2009, has signed with the Lions, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Running back Reggie Bush was widely viewed as the Lions’ top offensive target, and Quin was widely viewed as the Lions’ defensive target. Now Detroit has gone two-for-two.

Quin is the No. 38 player on our Free Agent Hot 100. He’ll serve as a strong addition to a Detroit secondary that will likely lose safety Louis Delmas. And although Delmas has been an excellent safety when healthy, durability is the big reason that the Lions will be more comfortable with Quin: Delmas missed half of last season and has never played all 16 games in any season, while Quin has started all 16 games for three straight seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/13/lions-sign-glover-quin/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Dolphins had money to spend on linebackers, but not for the guy they spent the first pick in the 2008 Draft on.

Now, Jake Long has a new home, as Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports Long has agreed to a contract with the Rams.

While that might now start a chain reaction of line moves, it gives Sam Bradford the kind of protection he’s lacked.

If Long holds up physically, it’s potentially a good move for the Rams, though the Dolphins were apparently concerned about that being the case. That clears the way for the Dolphins to move Jonathan Martin to left tackle after a year on the right.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...eal-with-rams/

Sent from my Nexus 7
    A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that there is no deal between the Rams and tackle Jake Long. That contradicts a report from the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that a deal is done.

Per the source, an offer hasn’t even been made to Long.

This doesn’t mean he won’t be signed. It only means he hasn’t been signed. Indeed, he hasn’t even received an offer.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Wes Welker may be ready to go from Tom Brady to Peyton Manning.

Welker, the free agent receiver who appears to be far apart in his contract talks with the Patriots, is now in “serious talks” with the Broncos, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Although wide receiver isn’t necessarily a position of need for the Broncos, who already have Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker, they surely wouldn’t mind adding a slog receiver like Welker, who has topped 110 catches in five of the last six seasons. Last year’s No. 3 receiver, Brandon Stokley, is an unrestricted free agent, and bringing in Welker while losing Stokley would be an upgrade for the Broncos’ offense.

Stealing Welker away from New England would carry the added benefit for the Broncos of weakening one of their biggest rivals for the AFC title.

It’s also possible that seeing what the interest level is from other teams is just what both Welker and the Patriots need to work out a deal of their own. So it’s no sure thing that Welker will leave New England. But if he does, Denver is looking like a strong possibility.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...th-wes-welker/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Detroit Lions have made a big addition to their suspect secondary.

Glover Quin, a safety who has been a starter for the Texans since they drafted him in 2009, has signed with the Lions, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

Running back Reggie Bush was widely viewed as the Lions’ top offensive target, and Quin was widely viewed as the Lions’ defensive target. Now Detroit has gone two-for-two.

Quin is the No. 38 player on our Free Agent Hot 100. He’ll serve as a strong addition to a Detroit secondary that will likely lose safety Louis Delmas. And although Delmas has been an excellent safety when healthy, durability is the big reason that the Lions will be more comfortable with Quin: Delmas missed half of last season and has never played all 16 games in any season, while Quin has started all 16 games for three straight seasons.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-glover-quin/

Sent from my Nexus 7
    Glover Quin’s deal with the Lions not done yet

The Lions have not yet signed free agent safety Glover Quin.

Although there’s been mutual interest between the Lions and Quin, shortly after we passed along Adam Schefter’s report that Quin had agreed to a deal with the Lions, Schefter wrote on Twitter that the deal actually isn’t done yet.

Quin is viewed as the Lions’ first choice among defensive free agents. The Lions have already officially signed their first choice among offensive free agents, running back Reggie Bush.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-not-done-yet/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Goldson and the Bucs have agreed to a five-year deal. That would mean the end of Goldson’s run with the 49ers and would give the league’s worst pass defense in 2012 an important piece to use in an effort to get better.

The Bucs wasted no time making their push for Goldson, sending a plane to bring him to Tampa and wooing him until they got their man. It’s the second straight year that the team’s landed a big fish in free agency with Goldson following guard Carl Nicks and wide receiver Vincent Jackson onto the roster.

With Goldson in the fold, the Bucs will likely be turning their attention toward boosting a pass rush that didn’t do enough to help the secondary last year as well as the cornerback position.

UPDATE 3:14 p.m. ET: Just as we found out the identity of the new Pope, PFT also learned that Goldson’s deal will have a total value of $41.25 million with $22 million guaranteed from the Bucs.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ive-year-deal/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Glover Quin’s deal with the Lions not done yet

The Lions have not yet signed free agent safety Glover Quin.

Although there’s been mutual interest between the Lions and Quin, shortly after we passed along Adam Schefter’s report that Quin had agreed to a deal with the Lions, Schefter wrote on Twitter that the deal actually isn’t done yet.

Quin is viewed as the Lions’ first choice among defensive free agents. The Lions have already officially signed their first choice among offensive free agents, running back Reggie Bush.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-not-done-yet/

Sent from my Nexus 7
    OK, this Glover Quin thing is getting a little ridiculous.

First we had the report that the Lions signed Quin, a free agent safety from Houston. Then we had the report that the Lions haven’t really signed Quin.

Now Tim Twentyman, the lead writer for the Lions’ website, is saying a five-year deal between the Lions and Quin really is done.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Faced with losses along their own defensive front, the 49ers have found a replacement.

According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, the 49ers have agreed to a contract with former Chiefs defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey.

The former fifth overall pick in the 2008 Draft seemed miscast playing in a 3-4 defense in Kansas City, but goes back into one in San Fran.

The 49ers have already lost nose tackle Isaac Sopoaga to the Eagles, and backup lineman Ricky Jean-Francois is visiting the Eagles today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...al-with-49ers/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The Jaguars signed Bears free agent linebacker Geno Hayes to a one-year deal on Wednesday, the team said.

The team also confirmed the release of wide receiver Laurent Robinson, a move reported earlier in the day.

The 25-year-old Hayes will work again with Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley. When Hayes broke into the NFL in 2008 with Tampa Bay, Bradley was the Buccaneers’ linebackers coach.

Hayes (6-1, 226) started three games at strong-side linebacker late in the 2012 campaign for Chicago. Overall, he recorded 16 defensive tackles and five special-teams stops in 15 games with the Bears.

In five NFL seasons, Hayes has racked up 273 tackles on defense along with 17 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and four interceptions. He played with the Bucs from 2008 through 2011 before the one-season stint in Chicago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gn-geno-hayes/

Sent from my Nexus 7

Thread Information