Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TFM_Dale
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Jan 2009

According to Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin, there’s a growing feeling Jennings could still return. He reports that the Packers offered a deal worth in the neighborhood of $10 million a year, and that there had been discussions between his agent and the team recently about a return.

Without the Dolphins to use as leverage, it became harder for the second-best target at the wide receiver position to get a deal any bigger.

While there had been reports about the Vikings showing interest, that never materialized Tuesday.

“I definitely have some destinations in mind and I’m going to keep them close to the vest,” Jennings said on ESPN’s NFL Live. “I’m just enjoying this opportunity to be in free agency. A lot of players don’t get to experience this opportunity, and I’m one that does. So I’m going to embrace the opportunity and take my visits when we get those taken care of and lined up and I’m excited about it.”

But unless the Vikings change their minds, or other receiver-needy suitors emerge, the Packers may still have a shot.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
      • Jan 2009

The Patriots and free agent receiver Wes Welker have a lot of work to do if they want to get a deal done.

As the second day of free agency begins, Karen Guregian of the Boston Herald reports that a deal “isn’t anywhere near close to happening” and that the Patriots and Welker’s camp are “miles apart.” Ian Rapoport of NFL Network described talks between the Patriots and Welker as “over.”

That doesn’t mean those talks couldn’t start again. But it does mean the Patriots, who say they want Welker to stay with the team for the rest of his career, haven’t offered him anything resembling the kind of contract that he believes a receiver who has topped 110 catches in five of the last six seasons deserves.

The problem for Welker is that teams don’t pay for what you’ve done in the past. Teams pay for what they think you can do in the future. And as great as Welker has been in New England, other teams aren’t lining up to offer him huge money because they’re not convinced he can replicate his success in any other offense.

Which means it’s still possible that Welker will survey free agency and discover that no team is offering him more money than New England. Even if the money New England is offering is a lot less than Welker wants.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
        • Jan 2009

Two of the final first-round picks of the late Al Davis’ long and storied tenure with Oakland are gone.

The Raiders announced the release of wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey and safety Michael Huff on Tuesday. The Raiders also let go of defensive end Dave Tollefson.

Huff and Heyward-Bey were each No. 7 overall picks in their respective drafts, with Heyward-Bey selected in 2009 and Huff taken in 2006.

Huff started all 16 games in 2012, with 14 at cornerback after injuries necessitated a move outside. Heyward-Bey caught 41-606-5 in 15 games, missing one contest after suffering a concussion after a scary looking hit against Pittsburgh.

Per Rotoworld figures, Heyward-Bey was slated to make $7.7 million in 2013, with Huff due $8 million.

The Raiders also announced the re-signing of defensive back Phillip Adams.

Two of the final first-round picks of the late Al Davis' long and storied tenure with Oakland are gone.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
          • Jan 2009

Cornerback Chris Houston agreed to a five-year deal to return to the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, his agents announced on Twitter.

Houston had two interceptions, two forced fumbles and 56 tackles last season for Detroit, his third season with the Lions. He had a career-best five interceptions in 2011.

In 87 career games he has 332 tackles, 11 interceptions and four forced fumbles.

Houston, 28, was drafted in the second-round of the 2007 draft by the Atlanta Falcons

Cornerback Chris Houston agreed to a five-year deal to return to the Detroit Lions on Wednesday, his agents announced on Twitter.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by TFM_Dale

Houston had two interceptions, two forced fumbles and 56 tackles last season for Detroit, his third season with the Lions. He had a career-best five interceptions in 2011.

In 87 career games he has 332 tackles, 11 interceptions and four forced fumbles.

Houston, 28, was drafted in the second-round of the 2007 draft by the Atlanta Falcons

Sent from my Nexus 7
            Very happy to see this, Houston has been the only reliable player in the secondary for the Lions, now we just need to restructure Stafford's deal and get a solid, speedy RB, some safety help, and draft DE help.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• Nickdfresh
              SUPER MODERATOR

• Oct 2004

The six-year, $59 million contract extension Fitzpatrick signed in October of 2011 turned out to be an expensive mistake — and a reminder that sometimes in the NFL, “six-year contracts” last less than a year and a half. If the Bills give this move a post-June 1 designation, Fitpatrick’s cap hit would be $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

I dunno about that. I wasn't a huge Fitzpatrick fan as a starting QB - he too often missed big throws gamer QB's are supposed to make and lacked accuracy - but at the time prior to the contract he was earning less than the backup they got from KC and had had a good year previously. The guy lacked an arm though he had heart, he played injured for the slide of games they lost with bad ribs in '11 and still kept it secret. He still was one of the least paid starting QB's and the contract insured he would not receive a large amount of guaranteed money. There's going to be cap hits and choices no matter what you do, and maybe the overall contract was a mistake in scope. But you have to pay your guys not matter what or you have zero cred...
              Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                • Jan 2009

Matthew Stafford pulled into the Detroit Lions' practice facility around 8:15 a.m. today. About an hour later, a white limo followed, carrying the Lions' top free agent target: Reggie Bush.

Bush, Houston Texans safety Glover Quin and Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jason Jones are in town for free agent visits today, and the Lions are hoping to ink all three to contracts before they leave.

Bush ran for 986 yards for the Dolphins last year, and the Lions believe he can invigorate a running game that ranked 23rd in the league last season and still hasn't recovered from the loss of Jahvid Best to injuries.

Bush is being pursued by at least two other teams, and reportedly could visit the Arizona Cardinals and Cincinnati Bengals if he leaves Detroit without a contract.

Stafford is one of several players trying to help the Lions woo the 28-year-old Bush, who won a Super Bowl ring in 2009 with the New Orleans Saints and spent the last two seasons as the lead running back in Miami.

The Lions quarterback started following Bush on Twitter last month and could be one of the aces that helps get Bush to Detroit.

He's a more talented quarterback than either the Cardinals (who could draft one in the first round) or Bengals have on their roster, though Andy Dalton has led Cincinnati to the playoffs the last two years.

Quin, considered the best cover safety on the market, started every game for the Texans the last three years. He likely would replace Louis Delmas in what could be a revamped Lions secondary.

Jones played his rookie season for Lions coach Jim Schwartz in Tennessee and has ties to the area, having played at Southfield-Lathrup and Eastern Michigan. He had three sacks in 12 games last year and could start at defensive end or be a rotational piece at end and tackle.

Detroit Michigan news - freep.com is the Detroit Free Press. News about Detroit, as well as headlines and stories from around Michigan.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Nickdfresh
                  I dunno about that. I wasn't a huge Fitzpatrick fan as a starting QB - he too often missed big throws gamer QB's are supposed to make and lacked accuracy - but at the time prior to the contract he was earning less than the backup they got from KC and had had a good year previously. The guy lacked an arm though he had heart, he played injured for the slide of games they lost with bad ribs in '11 and still kept it secret. He still was one of the least paid starting QB's and the contract insured he would not receive a large amount of guaranteed money. There's going to be cap hits and choices no matter what you do, and maybe the overall contract was a mistake in scope. But you have to pay your guys not matter what or you have zero cred...
                  I agree the contract initially seemed like a decent one for the Bills but he has developed into a backup quality QB at best making him an easy choice to cut. I still find the whole mess with the Bill's GM hilarious though lol

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                    • Jan 2009

I agree the contract initially seemed like a decent one for the Bills but he has developed into a backup quality QB at best making him an easy choice to cut. I still find the whole mess with the Bill's GM hilarious though lol

Sent from my Nexus 7
                    That said, he is still better then rHomo

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Jan 2009

DT Jason Jones agreed to a deal with the Lions, according to his agent, Mike McCartney. Read it on the Lions Facebook feed.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Jan 2009

The Chiefs have agreed to a deal with Colts free agent wide receiver Donnie Avery, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reported Wednesday.

The 28-year-old Avery caught 60 passes for 781 yards and three touchdowns for Indianapolis in 2012. You may recall his last-play, game-winning dash to beat the Lions in Detroit in December.

Avery adds another playmaking presence to a Chiefs wide receiver corps led by Dwayne Bowe. Third-year wideout Jon Baldwin has also shown some flashes of promise.

Avery has rebounded well from a 2010 knee injury that kept him off the field for a season. He signed with the Colts last March after stints with the Rams (who drafted him with the No. 33 pick in 2008) and the Titans.

The first wide receiver taken in the 2008 NFL Draft is moving on to the team that holds the No. 1 pick in April's draft.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                          ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                          • Jan 2009

After cutting James Harrison, the climate wasn’t good for overpriced veterans in Pittsburgh.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Steelers have released offensive lineman Willie Colon.

This one has been coming for a while, and was no surprise. Colon was scheduled to make $5.5 million, and when the Steelers didn’t approach him about a restructure, it was clear they were ready to move on with younger linemen.

After cutting James Harrison, the climate wasn’t good for overpriced veterans in Pittsburgh.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                            ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                            • Jan 2009

The Baltimore Ravens will release strong safety Bernard Pollard after he takes his physical Wednesday morning, according to a team source.

Pollard, 29, was the leading tackler last season for the Super Bowl champions and was the team's physical presence in the secondary. He forced a key fumble in the AFC Championship Game in New England, when he delivered a vicious hit on New England Patriots running back Stevan Ridley.

Pollard broke the news of his upcoming release when he posted on Twitter: "Well Raven Nation it's been fun. My time in Baltimore is done... Thank you!"

Ravens fullback Vonta Leach reacted with surprise to Pollard's news in a tweet of his own Wednesday.

"Wow my boy @Crushboy31 is gone great teammate and father on and off the field," he wrote.

Pollard finished his second season with the Ravens, leading the team with 98 tackles. He also had two sacks and an interception.

This offseason, the Ravens have already lost seven members from their Super Bowl team.

Baltimore has released Pollard and guard Bobbie Williams, traded wide receiver Anquan Boldin to the 49ers, lost linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger in free agency and watched linebacker Ray Lewis and center Matt Birk retire.

Bernard Pollard has been released by the Ravens. Pollard announced his departure Wednesday on Twitter, writing, "Well Ravens Nation. it's been fun. My time in Baltimore is done."

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                              • Jan 2009

The first-ever Reggie Bush free-agency tour was a short one.

Per a league source, the Lions and Bush have agreed to terms on a new contract.

Bush reportedly was offered the starting job in Detroit, something that other interested teams may not have been willing (Cardinals) or able (Redskins) to do. For Bush, playing time is far more important than money, given that he has made a whole lot of it in seven NFL seasons, entering the league as the second overall pick in the draft and striking plenty of lucrative endorsement deals.

He proved during two years in Miami that he can be a durable, every-down back. But as running backs go he’s getting long in the tooth. It’s unclear how many years he has left.

Given that the Lions possess one of the best passing attacks in the league, there should be plenty of running lanes for Bush, along with opportunities for swing passes in zones cleared out by Calvin Johnson.

Terms of the deal aren’t yet known. Regardless, the Lions got a little better today.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

• TFM_Dale
                                ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                                • Jan 2009

The Dolphins had money to spend on linebackers, but not for the guy they spent the first pick in the 2008 Draft on.

Now, Jake Long has a new home, as Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports Long has agreed to a contract with the Rams.

While that might now start a chain reaction of line moves, it gives Sam Bradford the kind of protection he’s lacked.

If Long holds up physically, it’s potentially a good move for the Rams, though the Dolphins were apparently concerned about that being the case. That clears the way for the Dolphins to move Jonathan Martin to left tackle after a year on the right.

The Dolphins had money to spend on linebackers, but not for the guy they spent the first pick in the 2008 Draft on.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Comment

Working...