Member No
    Last Online
    02-05-2021 @ 09:51 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Teen fatally shot

Teen fatally shot when he mistakenly went into wrong house

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...163650001.html

A 16-year-old who lived in Loudoun County, Va., was shot and killed when he accidentally entered the wrong house.

Caleb Gordley, a popular athlete who had been living in a brick house with his parents and sister for about a year, sneaked out of his house to go to a party with friends after he'd been grounded for not cleaning his room.

When he returned around 2 a.m. he slipped into the house he thought was his. Friends said he had been drinking and mistook his neighbor’s similar house two doors down for his own and climbed in through the back window.

When the burglar alarm sounded, the homeowner treated Caleb as an intruder, and shot and killed him.

The real story: Ubama unable to determine if he had a son, that he would look like Caleb Gordley
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

The Menace Is Loose Again
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-08-2015 @ 12:58 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,934 Times in 1,875 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    and climbed in through the back window.

When the burglar alarm sounded, the homeowner treated Caleb as an intruder, and shot and killed him.

well, he was an intruder.

But we don't know how much the homeowner called out for a response in the dark or what happened. Maybe he flipped on the lights and the drunk kid was surprised and lunged at him? But yeah, sad story. My mom snuck late when she was young and my grandpa almost shot her. But he called out first..."is that you Bonnie?" and she replied. I wonder if these neighbors knew the boy. I lived in my last neighborhood about 10 years and only knew a couple of my neighbors.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    If I thought someone was in my house in the middle of the night, I'm not going to be calling out for any response...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    If I thought someone was in my house in the middle of the night, I'm not going to be calling out for any response...
    You wake up at 3 am, your wife isn't next to you in bed and no lights are on in the house. You'll be calling out for a response.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    That's different...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 08:31 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,350 Times in 1,445 Posts

A rumbling noise is a rumbling noise.

Cunning Linguist
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 01:20 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,874 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmar View Post
    Teen fatally shot when he mistakenly went into wrong house

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...163650001.html

A 16-year-old who lived in Loudoun County, Va., was shot and killed when he accidentally entered the wrong house.

Caleb Gordley, a popular athlete who had been living in a brick house with his parents and sister for about a year, sneaked out of his house to go to a party with friends after he'd been grounded for not cleaning his room.

When he returned around 2 a.m. he slipped into the house he thought was his. Friends said he had been drinking and mistook his neighbor’s similar house two doors down for his own and climbed in through the back window.

The real story: Ubama unable to determine if he had a son, that he would look like Caleb Gordley

It's a tragedy, and you using it to try to make a lame Obama joke? Pathetic.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:23 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

People do occasionally walk into the wrong house. They don't even have to be drunk.

A few years ago I was standing in my kitchen cooking dinner when this kid just walked in the back door. He saw me and just about shit his pants on the spot. Turns out he was the little brother of the guy who lived next door at the time.

Now, I had a sharp knife in my hand at the time. If he hadn't explained himself, and been so obviously scared shitless, I may well have considered my options, and gutted him, if it were necessary. Fortunately, it was very obvious that there was no threat, and nobody got hurt.

Now if I had been a trigger happy gun-nut and shot the poor kid before he opened his mouth, he would be dead, I'd probably be in prison, and it all would have been over a really silly mistake.

Just a little perspective for y'all.......

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    You wake up at 3 am, your wife isn't next to you in bed and no lights are on in the house. You'll be calling out for a response.
    Unless you happen to be this guy. In that case, you pick up a gun and start shooting at the bathroom door...

10. 2 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (03-21-2013),envy_me (03-22-2013)

Sheep Pen noob
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2021 @ 02:52 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,941 Times in 2,103 Posts

This isnt a comment of Pistorius guilt or otherwise .

I caught a part of an interview with the south african rugby player Rudi Visagi a couple of days ago .
    The guy shot his daughter by accident some time ago, He thought his car was being stolen and shot into it to discover his daughter in it.

He painted a scary almost unbelievable scenario where people with money or influence had to lock themselves in at night in compunds to protect themselves from a basically lawless state .
    His discription of locking up compounds/safe houses was more the omega man than nipping down to check on the front door.

He explained that if you were in you car at any point in the evening you couldnt slow down or stop for red lights in fear of being murdered .
    In some respects it echoed some of what people said during the initial pistorius case, in that a culture of shot first or the bogey man will get you had entrenched its self in curtain sections of the south african public.

As I said this is more a comment on south africa than pistorius.
    Last edited by vandeleur; 03-21-2013 at 01:35 PM.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

You grab your gun, aim in direction of intruder, and say "whos there?"

Not that difficult and you might be sparing the life of a family member, friend, or just some drunk stupid kid that doesn't deserve to die for getting drunk.

Rule #1 is always...KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOUR TARGET IS

If you just blindly fire into the dark in the direction of noises chances are it's gonna end badly.

Pulling the trigger should be a last resort. Absolute last resort. Louis L'Amour is dead and he isn't gonna write about you, so you might as well use caution when firing off that lead.

13. 2 users say thank you to sadaist for this KICKASS post:

jacksmar (03-21-2013),jhale667 (03-22-2013)

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-12-2017 @ 06:39 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Is that you Pistorius?

15. Thanked SunisinuS for this KICKASS post:

envy_me (03-22-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Identify your target before destroying it. Simple as that. It doesn't matter what weapon you have. A police flashlight, a baseball bat, an axe, a gun, a cast iron frying pan, a rolling pin. That way you don't take uncle Charlie out when he's crawling in from a late night bender.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,582 Times in 3,461 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    Not that difficult and you might be sparing the life of a family member, friend, or just some drunk stupid kid that doesn't deserve to die for getting drunk.

Only Elvis is allowed to do really stupid shit when he's drunk.

The cliche is that the people who hate smokers the most are ex-smokers. I think that it's even more true for non-practicing alcoholics like Hareslutt...

18. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

jhale667 (03-22-2013)

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I can't imagine just opening fire without warning, that's pretty fucking cowardly actually...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Only Elvis is allowed to do really stupid shit when he's drunk.

The cliche is that the people who hate smokers the most are ex-smokers. I think that it's even more true for non-practicing alcoholics like Hareslutt...
    It's very true with former alcoholics. I was on a work crew where one of the guys was an alcoholic and the crew foreman was a recovered alcoholic. We were doing work on a big power plant and were staying in a motel 30 miles away. By the time we would finish a 12 hour shift the alcoholic would be grumpy and getting the shakes. He kept a bottle of Black Velvet in his room.

He would go on and on the whole 30 miles on how bad he needed his BV IV. The foreman was driving and slowed the crew cab truck we were in down to 20 miles an hour and held that speed. The alcoholic was freaking big time and the foreman grinned this evil grin and said,"What is the hurry?" The alcoholic was freaking big time almost crying. We finally got tired of the drama and told foreman to speed up and get us back to town. The alcoholic ran into the room and got his bottle. He's drinking it happy as a clam.

It was like the dude was a heroin addict. He was falling apart without his fix. He could make it 12 hours without booze but barely. That was the worst I have seen.

TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    It's very true with former alcoholics. I was on a work crew where one of the guys was an alcoholic and the crew foreman was a recovered alcoholic. We were doing work on a big power plant and were staying in a motel 30 miles away. By the time we would finish a 12 hour shift the alcoholic would be grumpy and getting the shakes. He kept a bottle of Black Velvet in his room.

He would go on and on the whole 30 miles on how bad he needed his BV IV. The foreman was driving and slowed the crew cab truck we were in down to 20 miles an hour and held that speed. The alcoholic was freaking big time and the foreman grinned this evil grin and said,"What is the hurry?" The alcoholic was freaking big time almost crying. We finally got tired of the drama and told foreman to speed up and get us back to town. The alcoholic ran into the room and got his bottle. He's drinking it happy as a clam.

It was like the dude was a heroin addict. He was falling apart without his fix. He could make it 12 hours without booze but barely. That was the worst I have seen.

As bad as he was....give the man credit for going to work sober & not sneaking a few sips during. The foreman was a jerk. What a guy does on his 12 hours should not concern what he does with the bosses 12.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post

Your foreman was a bit of an ignorant dick. Alcoholics, the relative few that are truly dependent on alcohol to prevent severe withdrawal symptoms, can die from withdrawal because their heart rate begins to speed up more and more. This is especially the case with older people or those not in decent physical condition. That's why rehab is taken very seriously with lots of drugs taken to mimic the calming effect of alcohol on the metabolism...

23. Thanked Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

Angel (03-21-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickdfresh View Post
    Your foreman was a bit of an ignorant dick. Alcoholics, the relative few that are truly dependent on alcohol to prevent severe withdrawal symptoms, can die from withdrawal because their heart rate begins to speed up more and more. This is especially the case with older people or those not in decent physical condition. That's why rehab is taken very seriously with lots of drugs taken to mimic the calming effect of alcohol on the metabolism...
    Ah the work we were doing was dangerous. He could have died on the job just as easy. It was a pretty tough crew. Some of them busted up a bar in South Dakota and ended up in jail for that. This was not the type of crowd to care about the details of alcohol withdrawal.

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-02-2013 @ 05:46 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Unless you happen to be this guy. In that case, you pick up a gun and start shooting at the bathroom door...

Right!!! If I had a partner and woke up in the middle of the night and heard that somebody was in the bathroom, I'd think "Strange, I didn't hear him get up". Then I'd go back to sleep.

Who reacts by shooting the person in the bathroom first and then goes to look where the rest of the family is?
    Last edited by envy_me; 03-22-2013 at 08:24 AM.

Quote King™
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-08-2020 @ 05:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sadaist View Post
    You grab your gun, aim in direction of intruder, and say "whos there?"
    Updated information on this shooting was on the local news tonight (I live about 45 mins from where this happened). Police report that the homeowner hollered at the kid to ID himself and also fired a warning shot. Kid responded to neither and continued upstairs towards bedrooms.

Parents of the kid were on news and no accusations, lawsuits, or ranting a raving to be heard. It sounds like the kid had recently moved back in to the house or something, and wasn't known to many of the neighbors. And while the houses look a little similar on the outside (color of brick exterior), you would have to be hammered not to be able to tell them apart (or know the correct house number for that matter).

Anyway, not some trigger happy angry white man to blame for this, as much as some of the non-local news outlets might want you to think.

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Buddy of mine's dad went in for heart surgery, but what almost killed him was his withdrawal from booze. He liked his BV, drank a half a bottle a day for decades. When he was weened off at the hospital (with the help of heavy narcotics) his seizures and convulsions led to him being strapped down for three days. He was seeing bugs and angels and dead people, screaming and crying until he'd pass out. His blood pressure was so erratic he nearly died before he had his ticker fixed.

Loon
    SUPER MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Buddy of mine's dad went in for heart surgery, but what almost killed him was his withdrawal from booze. He liked his BV, drank a half a bottle a day for decades. When he was weened off at the hospital (with the help of heavy narcotics) his seizures and convulsions led to him being strapped down for three days. He was seeing bugs and angels and dead people, screaming and crying until he'd pass out. His blood pressure was so erratic he nearly died before he had his ticker fixed.
    The people at the hospital didn't know what they were doing, and he potentially could have sued I think. They have drugs that mimic the metabolic suppression of alcohol without getting anyone drunk and stifle the worst effects; they also pump you full of vitamins I gather. It all has to do with alcohol replacing hormones that calm you down at night and relax your blood pressure and heart rate. The alcohol does this depending on the amount drunk and your body will stop making these hormones altogether in cases of extreme, prolonged drinking. Even those who've binge drank for a few days or more will often times find it hard to sleep after not having a drink for a day or two. Some people find they can ween themselves off booze by sticking to a strict diet of beer and gradually decreasing drinking by two beers a day down to zero. It's much better than going cold turkey and prevents most side effects. Another problem with people who quit cold turkey is "kindling," in which your body goes through increasingly severe withdrawals after numerous attempts to stop cold turkey. Gradually cutting down is a much better option, and everyone should take a day or two off from drinking a week.

Here's a great article on "tapering off" booze...
    Last edited by Nickdfresh; 03-22-2013 at 05:30 PM.

Thread Information