Thread: U.F.O. featuring Michael Schenker

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

U.F.O. featuring Michael Schenker

This guy took UoFoOo to a higher level. The one and only Michael Schenker, brother of Scorpions' Rudolf Schenker. How fucking cool is that? The story gets better!... Michael even played on a few Scorps albums. Check them out. This compressed on-line version does not do justice for the original vinyl record!

Discuss!

Last edited by Mushroom; 03-27-2013 at 10:03 PM.

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Could not agree more, my friend. I think the songs on the Scorpions' Lovedrive that he is featured on are brilliant, particularly 'Coast to Coast', which has been burned into my brain from listening to it over and over around 1980 or so.

As it happens I just bought myself a new turntable a few weeks ago and in the back of my mind I have been thinking - okay, this is the opportunity to sit down and play the Strangers in the Night live double vinyl. No skipping, etc. But, being an older fart than I was when I originally bought it, it is quite difficult to get time to do that ...

But, your post is a good reminder. Tomorrow ...

As it happens, I found this UFO pic from 1978 - actually a billboard on Sunset Strip from '78 for the Obsession album. If I had a UFO myself, I would transport myself back to that time and place.

Attached Images Attached Images
    THINK LIKE THE WAVES

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    ...As it happens I just bought myself a new turntable a few weeks ago and in the back of my mind I have been thinking - okay, this is the opportunity to sit down and play the Strangers in the Night live double vinyl. No skipping, etc. But, being an older fart than I was when I originally bought it, it is quite difficult to get time to do that ...
    I swear that is exactly what I did on Saturday March 23, 2013!

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Different lyrics, but earlier version of 'Rock Bottom' from some 1973 German TV show.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LoveDrive is my favorite Scorpions album ever, though the two that came after it, Animal Magnetism and Blackout were pretty damn good too.

As for UFO, loved the stuff with Schenker. Couldn't give a fuck about any other lineups.

Now here's an odd bit of UFO trivia though....

Their first record label in the US was, believe it or not, a division of Motown called "Rare Earth" records. I don't actually have any UFO vinyl from that period, but I have another album on that label (the band Rare Earth) and, the record sleeve lists all the albums currently for sale by that label as well as the future releases... and in that future releases section was a band named UFO.

Who would have thought that band had anything in common with the label that launched the Temptations, Four Tops, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, and Michael Jackson??
    Eat Us And Smile

Cenk For America 2024!!

Justice Democrats

"If the American people had ever known the truth about what we (the BCE) have done to this nation, we would be chased down in the streets and lynched." - Poppy Bush, 1992

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    There's a guy in the UK, well-known to some people - Julian Cope. He was singer of a band called The Teardrop Explodes, had a fairly successful solo career, and later branched into writing books about music - Krautrocksampler, Japrocksampler, and others ...

Anyway, he has this website, Head Heritage, where there are lots of writings about various bands (he has a long piece on a Van Halen bootleg), but one of the bands he rates is UFO. Not for the Schenker years, but for those very years FORD just mentioned - the 'Krautrock' / Spacerock years.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/review/345/

I was just on youtube, and those early albums are on there in full and have some healthy hit numbers - some people rate that stuff. I used to OWN those albums, and I could never reconcile that UFO with the Michael Schenker version ... but, what the hell:

Internetmaimment*TM
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Billy Sheehan on bass 32-83 was not terrible....and Ainsley is still stellar.

The thing is that Ufo kinda has a good time so it rotates:

It is just a bit of Rock Academy:

Last edited by SunisinuS; 03-27-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    Can't Control your Future. Can't Control your Friends. The women start to hike their skirts up. I didn't have a clue. That is when I kinda learned how to smile a lot. One Two Three Fouir fun ter thehr fuur.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    One of my favorite albums (and perhaps the funniest album cover) of all time. You simply can't imagine what it sounded like to a morose, alienated 13 year old kid the first time it was discovered blasting from a mall record store sometime in 1974.

And then actually seeing the cool-as-shit bastards on Don Kirshner late one weekend after my folks had gone to sleep...

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.”
    ― Stephen Hawking

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Ok, first, from Obsession this is Pack it up and Go !

Go to 2:09 to hear the lead break from Schenker on Lights Out from Strangers in the Night. Considering this was from 78 it's some serious picking. Be careful because if you don't stop listening you'll hear the phrase "Moon in June" This phrase is frowned upon at the Roth Army due to the lyrical felonies Act that one Hagar was guilty of on several counts.

This is Stopped by a Bullet from their '95 reunion Walk on Water. This has a cool riff and smoking solos.
    I'm pretty sure a title like that wouldn't fly these days, but that's another issue.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

solo at 2:04. Song's called Perfect view from Sharks (2002)

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Classic Schenker - era UFO has consistently been in my top 5 all time favorite bands list since the late '70's . Killer , killer band and yet , horribly and criminally under-rated . I have witnessed UFO live at least 7 times and that is with various line-ups but none better then the classic line-up . " Strangers In The Night " , " Force It " , and " Obsession " are my three favorite UFO albums . I have a killer bootleg CD called " Parkers Birthday " that just slams !
    Regardless of who is or isn't in the band , I will continue to see UFO live as long as Phil Mogg is at the helm . What a gifted lyricist and vocalist . Terribly under-rated .
    Got to meet the classic re-united UFO line-up in 1995 after a killer night club show . I completely cherish those autographs .
    Sadly , I have heard that bassist Pete Way's health is not so good these days .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 03-28-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    This is better

The heart is on the left. The blood is red.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice , nearly note for note rendition of Love To Love . I gotta respectfully disagree that it's better . Good cover though. Couldn't help but notice that the lead guitarist was playing a near-white flying V through Marshall stacks . Very Schenker-esque . They have good taste in good music .
    This song really reminds me of my late wife . We would slow dance to this in better times .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 03-28-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Michael Schenker is my all-time favorite guitarist by a longshot, fast but fluid and melodic. Some great material with MSG but he seems to do his best work with UFO. Schenker said his favorite guitar solo from the early UFO era was "Try Me" a ballad from Lights Out album.

Strangers in the Night was my introduction to the band in 1978/79 and I've been hooked ever since.
    Here is another great song, from Obsession album, "One More For The Rodeo", a guitar workout from start to finish.

Great Billboard pic VHscraps! Anyone interested there is a decent UFO biography at Martin Popoff .com called Shoot Out The Lights that has interviews w/Phil Mogg, Pete Way, Schenker, Paul Chapman, Paul Raymond etc.

UFObook.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GreenBayLA; 03-29-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    "Nothing gets a yak over a suspension bridge faster than 'Back in the Saddle Again' by Aerosmith" ~ DLR

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by envy_me View Post
    This is better

Interesting that you posted this. Many years ago a friend sent me 2 John Norum solo albums. Now I wasn't familiar with his work in Europe other than the single they had but first listen I could tell the guy was heavily influenced by Schenker especially with his tone and approach. This tune's got Kelly Keeling on vocals, who was also on Schenker's Unforgiven album.

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayLA View Post
    Michael Schenker is my all-time favorite guitarist by a longshot

UFObook.jpg
    Check out his instrumental albums Adventures of the Imagination, Michael Schenker 2000, and the Odd Trio when you get a chance if you haven't already.

Swedish Love Pump ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrillsNSpills View Post
    Interesting that you posted this. Many years ago a friend sent me 2 John Norum solo albums. Now I wasn't familiar with his work in Europe other than the single they had but first listen I could tell the guy was heavily influenced by Schenker especially with his tone and approach. This tune's got Kelly Keeling on vocals, who was also on Schenker's Unforgiven album.
    I LOVE Europe. But between Norum and Kee Marcello, I perfer Kee. Even if I like Norum too.

They are so good.

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Unless the fucker's drunk...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vmo_ePVGGI
    Stay Frosty, muthas!

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I guess I discovered these guys thru a friend back when Light's Out (75) was released, I still have the LP.

Played it alot they were 2nd or 3rd spot from the headline act, on most big summer shows back then.

I remember saying wow this is UFO this is fucking great...I have no other recollection of those days..but I was there many times whereveer the fuck that was.

Booze life things women cars..stuff gets in the way sometimes and this band has always deserved more credit for home run shows and music thatn they get.

Have any of you noticed how many millions and millions,millions,millions,millions... of people and other well know musicians, say this is a underated band and..bla bla bla ..kinda cracks me up...they aren't underated at all..lol

You bar band guys should put this on your list it will please the head knockers and get the chicks up.

2015 once smoke 2 smoke ...poke
    clara the tiny giraffe make fur curve

I am A Root Vegetable
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The sound on this is very good..I just redialed in my audio equalizer computer thingie doo jacker.. like this
    .....-- ..........._....... --....--
    0..............--.........................................--

-12______________________________________

Last edited by clarathecarrot; 03-29-2013 at 10:08 PM.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I see he has a new dvd out. Great player. Didn't he always use 50 watt Marshalls ?

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    The intro part to Coast to Coast always appeared to me to be the musical inspiration for the later solo tune "Desert Song".

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I played "Lights Out" in a metal band I was in from '85-'86.

It was always a crowd pleaser.

One thing I love about the current state of the internet: Being able to dress up our posts with music or video! In this case I can suddenly be listening to live UFO from the mid-70s!

Woohoo!!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I had just discovered Schenker-era UFO in 1981, and discovered UFO was going to open for Ozzy in late February 1982.

Without the internet and no connections into industry happenings, I was unaware that Schenker was no longer in the band.....not discovering this until they came out onstage and began their set....2/28/82.....

Needless to say, I was sorta disappointed.

Saw them about 3-4 years back at the Wildhorse Saloon here in Gnashville with Vinnie Moore on lead fret-burning. Was cool to see the original guys one more time.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm glad to see UFO getting some props in this thread. The Schencker years were clearly the best - largely because Mogg and Way knew how to keep mad Mickey under control (in the studio at least) - but they made some chronically underrated records after he left, too. Check 'em out.

As for Schencker, I'd have to say that the first MSG album is an absolute, stone-cold classic. It is a crime that it is not better remembered......
    The Power Of The Riff Compels Me

Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    I'm glad to see UFO getting some props in this thread. The Schencker years were clearly the best - largely because Mogg and Way knew how to keep mad Mickey under control (in the studio at least) - but they made some chronically underrated records after he left, too. Check 'em out.

As for Schencker, I'd have to say that the first MSG album is an absolute, stone-cold classic. It is a crime that it is not better remembered......
    Binnie give us some record reviews! Pleeeeeeeazzze!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom View Post
    Binnie give us some record reviews! Pleeeeeeeazzze!
    In the Album Reviews thread you can find reviews of UFO on pages 5 and 7 (one Schenker, one not); and an MSG review on page 10

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, don't make fun....
    Growing up in the midwest of USA, a little young to remember UFO's prime, I never heard of lot of these guys. Obviously know who they are and who Michael Schenker is, but never really heard their music. Everybody loves them, so my interest is peaked. Here is my question:

If is was to start to get into UFO, where would I start? What album? Rather not be a live album. Thanks for not making to much fun of my lack of hipness.
    "Don't try to confuse the issue with half truths and gorilla dust." - Bill NcNeal

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm right there with you. I hadn't even heard of them until I got my VH at the Golden West Ballroom CD in the early 1990's and the liner notes mentioned that they opened for them. I guess if nobody older than me was into them as I grew up, there was no way to really ever hear of them. They certainly didn't get any hard rock radio play in NJ.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvioDante View Post

If is was to start to get into UFO, where would I start?
    Not here...

2:47 you'll never get back...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It wouldn't hurt to start here, Silvo...

At least you'll know if you like them or not...

This album will grow on you...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    In my humble opinion though, UFO never live up to the hype...

I'm still searching for the song that blows me away...

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, don't make fun....
    Growing up in the midwest of USA, a little young to remember UFO's prime, I never heard of lot of these guys. Obviously know who they are and who Michael Schenker is, but never really heard their music. Everybody loves them, so my interest is peaked. Here is my question:

If is was to start to get into UFO, where would I start? What album? Rather not be a live album. Thanks for not making to much fun of my lack of hipness.
    Although you'd rather not have live album, UFO do have an all time classic one in 'Strangers In The Night'.

Otherwise, I'd say: 'Force It', 'Obessession' or 'Phenomenon' are all good places to start.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Everytime a UFO thread pops up around here, I always show up wagging my index finger stating "Don't disparage Chapman-era UFO!"

One of my prized possessions is a Japanese White Label Promo LP of 'The Wild, The Willing & The Innocent'... love that album!

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
    Everytime a UFO thread pops up around here, I always show up wagging my index finger stating "Don't disparage Chapman-era UFO!"

One of my prized possessions is a Japanese White Label Promo LP of 'The Wild, The Willing & The Innocent'... love that album!
    " The Wild , The Willing , And The Innocent " kicks all kinds of ass ! That was the best Chapman - era album without a doubt . It is in my CD player as we speak .
    " Mechanix " is good , " Making Contact " and " No Place To Run " were O-Kay in my opinion . Obviously the cover of " Mystery Train " just smokes . Saw that version of UFO a couple of times and it rocked my ass off .
    Last edited by Green Manalishi; 04-04-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, don't make fun....

I gotta agree with binnie . " Force It " and " Obsession " are great albums . However , if you want to cover all the bases - I highly recommend " Essential UFO " that was released by their old label Chrysalis Records .

ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status

solo time

Sniper
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LOL Blinded By a Lie features Billy Sheehan on air bass. He's not on LP but did a Euro tour wiht UFO in 1983.
    Wild Willing + Innocent is best w/ Tonka Chapman

Thread Information