Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2017 @ 12:50 PM
    Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Status
    Thanks

Billy Sheehan Interview: Talks DLR

Saw this today, thought it was cool enough to share.

http://www.guitarworld.com/interview...in-album-krush

Highlights:

Let’s discuss your David Lee Roth days. What’s your best memory of that first album, Eat 'Em And Smile?

It was an amazing time. I was in Talas at the time, and I remember saying the only band I’d ever leave them for would be Van Halen. So when Dave called me to start a band, I said, “Close enough!” [laughs]. The original guitar player was supposed to be Steve Stevens, but it didn’t quite work out, so I told Dave I knew another “Steve." I had been in touch with Steve Vai prior to that, and we brought him in, and he was just perfect.

We put a bunch of songs together in Dave’s basement, hung out and told stories. It was the most wonderful, raucous time. The tour was amazing and a coming-of-age for me personally. I had struggled for decades and finally achieved the success I had hoped for. I remember we played Buffalo in the same auditorium where I saw Jimi Hendrix play. That same day, the mayor declared it “Billy Sheehan Day" in Buffalo, New York [laughs].

Did you notice any controversy or hostility toward the new band after Dave’s acrimonious departure from Van Halen?

There were some people who showed a bias for one band or the other, but I tried to discourage that as much as possible. Our crowd was so enthusiastic and happy. I was sad about the fact that there was a fight. I love Van Halen.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. Thanked indeedido for this KICKASS post:

hambon4lif (04-01-2013)

The Frosty One...
    Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-25-2015 @ 02:24 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 850 Posts

Billy's just a class dude!
    I have this weird feeling that somewhere in the course of this thread, someone will throw their worthless, irrelevant opinion of him being a scientology nutjob or whatever.
    Dave calling on Billy was a crucial step in putting the EEAS band together.

He's just a phenomenal player!
    'Nuff said!
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,335 Times in 1,435 Posts

They worked up the tunes for EEAS in Dave's basement. Something tells me that's a magical place.

Redneck Army
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-01-2020 @ 08:53 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,464 Times in 2,541 Posts

I just wish we had video of those early jam sessions at Dave's house. I can just see Dave explaining to the guys how they're gonna take over the world, laying out the vision...and the blow

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I had no idea he was a scientologist nut job. He is a great player, but I never cared for his bass sound. Too chorusy. I picked up one Niacin CD. The one that has Mean Street on it. Pretty bad ass.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

Grimes and I went to a Sheehan clinic back in '95 or so. We asked him all the DLR questions, of course I don't remember any of them now.

I had nearly cut off my left middle finger (ended up just severing the tendon) at work about a month before and had this fixture strapped to my wrist and hand...Sheehan said "it must be tough to play with that thing on."

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    What ultimately led you to your decision to no longer work with David Lee Roth following the release of (1988's) "Skyscraper"? Was there the proverbial "creative differences," or was it something on a more personal level?

Billy: "Dave took a chance. He decided to try a new direction with the music. In a way, he was right because he wanted to mix dance beats into the music. He was like, 'We need to be more dance-orientated.' And I was like, 'That's great', but it just wasn't me. I just couldn't get up there and do that kind of thing. So I was gone, but in a way he was right because dance music did become the next giant thing and now that's pretty much all there is. I call it karaoke aerobics. It's basically people doing karaoke because they're singers who don't really sing on their records and just get pitch-corrected. And then they get eight to twelve people to do aerobics next to them and that's ninety percent of the music that you see on TV now. So in a way, he was right, but the problem with doin' a switch like that when you're a rocker guy is that the rockers are going to hate you because you've turned on them and the dance guys are going to hate you because you were once a rock guy. So unfortunately, he fell between the cracks, but in a way he was right. He accurately predicted that dance music was going to come in. It did, but at the same time, we had a lot of other great music by a lot of other great bands. I just think he threw the dice and they just didn't come up with the number he needed."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,504 Times in 1,615 Posts

dupe, dammit

Talks To Trees
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    03-24-2024 @ 09:14 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,081 Times in 1,997 Posts

Blog Entries
    I guess they're all happy now that Dave's finally getting to do his "dance" thing... 25 years later.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

What else besides Stand Up could one possibly dance to from Skyscraper? My biggest problem with that disc is the Brett Tuggle wussification factor. Those keyboards were no bueno. Vai's Flex-Able production tricks didn't help much either. Kindly put by Billy, but he made the right move. Would've been miserable if he stuck it out.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-08-2021 @ 05:53 PM
    Status
    Thanks

I remember the story about Billy having a hard time getting his Gold and Platinum awards from Warner Bros for Skyscraper and him thinking is was a conspiracy because he had left the band. I think if Billy had just stuck it out he would have enjoyed playing on ALAE. Then again, maybe he would have left for Whitesnake with Vai in some kind of package deal. I never understood what was so great about Mr. Big as opposed to staying with Dave. When i think of Mr. Big i always think of that cheesy ballad they had as a hit ..I'm The One that Wants to Be With You...i think it was. Addicted to that Rush for which they had their first video wasn't a world beater. I think i would have just stayed with Dave. I do agree that Tuggle and Skyscraper's keyboard heavy sound did turn things south but that tour was a massive success.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Skyscraper kicks the shit out of ALAE...

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
    April Fool's is over.

15. 2 users say thank you to sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-02-2013),TJMKID (04-02-2013)

Youcan'thandleTheTruth!
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-17-2015 @ 12:43 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Are you talking the tour or the album? If you mean the tour, I think that stands to reason. The Skyscraper tour was huge and they played an unreal number of shows, while the ALAE tour had replacement players and was cut short by Grunge. If you mean the album, then you're fucked in the head.

17. Thanked Zing! for this KICKASS post:

TJMKID (04-02-2013)

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,285 Times in 4,714 Posts

Unless Billy sent you the REAL version of that album that he says he has, you're full of shit.

SkyCrapper was easily Dave's weakest solo record. And yes, I mean weaker than YFLM and the "Diamond Dave" covers album.

Too goddamn much cheese. It had only slightly less Velveeta than OUBlowsGoats2 did. And no, I don't buy the "everybody's doing it" excuse. There were albums released in 1988 that weren't buried in synthesizer crap.

Next time somebody interviews Billy Sheehan, they should ask him if he knows what FLAC and Bit Torrent are. He needs to leak that damn tape. I'd really like to hear the GOOD version of this album, if it actually exists, like he says it does.

19. 4 users say thank you to FORD for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (04-02-2013),PETE'S BROTHER (04-02-2013),sonrisa salvaje (04-02-2013),TJMKID (04-02-2013)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sonrisa salvaje View Post
    Addicted to that Rush for which they had their first video wasn't a world beater. I think i would have just stayed with Dave.
    That song always cracked me up, because if you really listen to it, once you get passed all of the hammering and showing off, it's really just "Heard It On The X" by ZZ Top. "Green Tinted Sixties Mind" wasn't bad, nor was the home video from the early 1990s from San Francisco, yet outside of that...

The problem is, a little bit of that obnoxious lead singer goes a very long way.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    10-31-2021 @ 04:25 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zing! View Post
    Are you talking the tour or the album? If you mean the tour, I think that stands to reason. The Skyscraper tour was huge and they played an unreal number of shows, while the ALAE tour had replacement players and was cut short by Grunge. If you mean the album, then you're fucked in the head.

"Just Like Paradise" and "Damn Good" remain in my Top 5 solo Dave tunes of all time.

However, ALAE smokes the shit out of Skyscraper. Grunge and it's release 2 weeks before the Gulf War are the reasons it didnt become a huge album.

1987 saw the release of some epic hard rock albums and Skyscraper was quite weak compared to that level of competition --- Def Leppard's "Hysteria", Whitesnake's self-titled album, and of course the mighty "Appetite for Destruction".
    Last edited by TJMKID; 04-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

My issue with Billy is that on one hand is talking about how he struggled all those years and then all of a sudden he is playing packed arenas with Dave and how great it was. Then on the very next album he doesn't agree with the direction, still plays on the record, and then splits? How about some loyalty Billy? So because he didn't agree with the direction he goes and forms Mr. Big to do what? Play sub par hard rock music in the style of the late 80's hair band craze. Wow. You really showed everyone Bill. Mr. Big opened for Rush for a while in 1990. I can't imagine any Rush fans giving 2 shits about them. Then they opened for the Scorpions for a while on triple bills beside the likes of White Lion, Aldo Nova and Great White. Thus, i ask did Billy win or lose?

23. Thanked sonrisa salvaje for this KICKASS post:

jasonA (04-15-2013)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I want to get this out of the way while i am venting. Dave was always ahead of his time. Skyscraper was like no other sound at the time. He didn't like to do what was comfortable and liked to venture out.

The biggest case in point about Dave being ahead of the curve is with his Las Vegas stint. Remember how all the sheep made fun of that? Look at what is going on now with Motley Crue, GNR and Def Leppard all playing stints at the Joint in Las Vegas.

Who has the last laugh now bitches? Kiss the ring.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I want to get this out of the way while i am venting. Dave was always ahead of his time. Skyscraper was like no other sound at the time. He didn't like to do what was comfortable and liked to venture out.

Skyscraper was most definitely Dave hanging out in left field for awhile.....but I listen to "Knucklebones" or "Stand Up" and cant help but feeling they sound dated.

But I can still listen to "Crying in the Rain" or "Mr. Brownstone" and fondly remember that '87-'88 still had balls.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    ALAE (especially the song itself) isn't even listenable if you put it on directly following Skyscraper...

On production alone Skyscraper stands the test of time over that overproduced, slick sounding power rock mix...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMKID View Post
    Skyscraper was most definitely Dave hanging out in left field for awhile.....
    No, It was Dave doing exactly what he wanted to do and that's what makes it interesting to me...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

No, It was Dave doing exactly what he wanted to do and that's what makes it interesting to me...
    Oh, I'll give it interesting for sure. Just a touch wimpy at times and not near as edgy as it could or should have been. Vai's too polished execution falls flat for me. Hina and Damn Good the only true stand outs. The rest is just fair or not good. I hate Hot Dog and a Shake.
    Last edited by DLR Bridge; 04-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Dave's always been a headstrong artist with his own compass so we can admire that.

But when I hear "Hina" and "Stand Up" and compare it to the tasty hard rock stuff that came out in 1987.....it sounds weak and uninspired.

Dave phoned it in for most of SkyCrapper and he lost a lot of swagger when compared to EEAS.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I didn't like that song for a long time but it really kicks on a good system and it's pretty heavy at times...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dave's always been a headstrong artist with his own compass so we can admire that.

But when I hear "Hina" and "Stand Up" and compare it to the tasty hard rock stuff that came out in 1987.....it sounds weak and uninspired.

Dave phoned it in for most of SkyCrapper and he lost a lot of swagger when compared to EEAS.
    I agree with all of that, but ALAE is worse, in my opinion...

I just hate that radio rock formula sound...

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ALAE is worse, in my opinion...

I like the songs from ALAE better, but agree with you on the production end. That record does have a dated sound. Bob Rock. That can't be his real name.

33. Thanked DLR Bridge for this KICKASS post:

sonrisa salvaje (04-02-2013)

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Production values aside (although I like the sound of ALAE) --- just seems like "Diamond Dave" returned on ALAE whereas he was kinda AWOL on Skycrapper.

Just crank a song like "Shoot It" --- that is Diamond Lee Roth swagger hitting back in a big way!

I listen to "Knucklebones" and Dave sounds like he's deliberately trying to sound like a cartoon character.

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    It's really Robert Rockless...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

ALAE (especially the song itself) isn't even listenable if you put it on directly following Skyscraper...

On production alone Skyscraper stands the test of time over that overproduced, slick sounding power rock mix...
    You don't think SkyCrapper was overproduced???

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Just crank a song like "Shoot It" --- that is Diamond Lee Roth swagger hitting back in a big way!
    That's stretching a bit...

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FORD View Post
    You don't think SkyCrapper was overproduced???
    No, it has a lot of elements, but it doesn't have a big slick production...

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLR Bridge View Post
    I like the songs from ALAE better, but agree with you on the production end. That record does have a dated sound. Bob Rock. That can't be his real name.
    Believe it or not, it is.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Rock

What I did NOT know, until I read that Wiki, was that his first producer credits were for punk rock bands in Vancouver.

Young Canadians and the Subhumans, produced by the same guy who did ALAE and Metallica's "Black Album".... who knew??

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

What I did NOT know, until I read that Wiki, was that his first producer credits were for punk rock bands in Vancouver.

Young Canadians and the Subhumans, produced by the same guy who did ALAE and Metallica's "Black Album".... who knew??

wiki

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Production values aside (although I like the sound of ALAE) --- just seems like "Diamond Dave" returned on ALAE whereas he was kinda AWOL on Skycrapper.

I listen to "Knucklebones" and Dave sounds like he's deliberately trying to sound like a cartoon character.
    I didn't actually care for the song Shoot It. I always skip that one. The lyrics are too "Hot Dog and a Shake" for me. Beyond that song and Last Call which sounds like a Walk This Way rip off, i really like that record. Not as much as EEAS of course.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That's stretching a bit...

All comes down to timing.

"A Lil Ain't Enough" is one of my fav Dave solo tunes to this day --- but it bombed on the charts because it came out when rock music was about being pissed off and depressed and not showering for a week --- not doing split jumps off a Jeep and ogling girls with big tits.

"Mean Street" could hit the radio this week and most kids 15-21 would hate it because you can't dance to it like a Nicki Minaj song.
    Last edited by TJMKID; 04-02-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I do agree with your formula take. ALAE did have an overall sound that seemed almost safe at times. It wasn't as raw feeling as Eatem and was more radio friendly hard rock.

your last loose end
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I'll do you one nuttier. One of the architects of Elliott Smith's "California Frown" sound (depressing tunes done with Beach Boy slickness) was named Tom Rothrock. Go figure!

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I didn't actually care for the song Shoot It. I always skip that one. The lyrics are too "Hot Dog and a Shake" for me. Beyond that song and Last Call which sounds like a Walk This Way rip off, i really like that record. Not as much as EEAS of course.

At the very least, I was glad that the Diamond Dave swagger returned on ALAE. Went missing on Skycrapper for the most part.

Dave was the poster boy for "happy rock" and so he got blasted in the media for the excess cleavage and smiling he did in the "A Lil Aint Enough" video and he got burned at the stake. I wonder how many well-adjusted middle class kids in the suburbs put a revolver in their mouths and came close to pulling the trigger just because Cobain made it cool to be like that.

Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

At the very least, I was glad that the Diamond Dave swagger returned on ALAE. Went missing on Skycrapper for the most part.

Dave was the poster boy for "happy rock" and so he got blasted in the media for the excess cleavage and smiling he did in the "A Lil Aint Enough" video and he got burned at the stake. I wonder how many well-adjusted middle class kids in the suburbs put a revolver in their mouths and came close to pulling the trigger just because Cobain made it cool to be like that.
    I agree with you that ALAE was released at a bad time. Those 80's glory days couldn't go on forever though i wish they did. However, i think a lot of people may not have given the record a chance because they didn't like what they heard on Skyscraper. There are a lot of fair weather type fans out there that give up on an artist as soon as they hear something they don't like. I could be wrong but i don't think that ALAE sold 500k less units than Skyscraper just because of grunge coming in. I think a large group didn't like Skyscraper and never gave ALAE a chance. I would say that had ALAE come before Skyscraper both may have gone platinum. It was a sure thing that the album after Eatem was going to go platinum just off of momentum.

Thread Information