I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Cool Cleveland Sports Chatter

Hmmm...

1. I keep forgetting the Yanks cut him...

2. The Indians haven't announced this yet...

3. He's a month away from playing...

4. where the fuck is he going to play? Belliard is hotter than hell...and Blake is solid...

Hmmm...maybe another deal is in the works...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Snoo
    He has to pass his physical. He can play 2nd and short, and they'll probably play him at short next year since there's no way they're keeping Vizquel.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

That depends on Brandon Phillips though...if he's finally ready...he'll get the job there...

I see the Indians potentially thinking of dealing Vizquel before the deadline...since Boone will be ready by then...

don't forget...Boone can play 3B as well...

Snoo
    Yeah I know he plays third, I just said that since they have Blake. The Dodgers might want Vizquel, since he has a decent average.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah...and I don't see Belliard lasting at second...although I could be wrong...

He gives them good insurance...

Pied piper of poontang!!!
    Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-30-2020 @ 05:10 PM
    Status
    Thanks

This makes no sense to me. The indians need a closing pitcher. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They need more than just a closer....they need a whole new relief corp...

Wickman's on his way back...

and Riske has been downright awesome the past month and a half...

Jiminez is a fucking bum...and Bettancourt is a waste...

They do need to go out and grab some relievers...perhaps Vizquel will be used as some bait...or even Boone before the break...

With a relieving corp...Cleveland would be in first place...

unfortunate...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:21 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Wahoo says, "more bats good."

press conference scheduled for 4 pm.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah Twona...hey man..you heard anything about what their plans are for him? Is he going to be roaving between 2nd, 3rd and short?...or are the planning on dealing him and/or Vizquel at some point...

you'd have to think that Belliard is a sell high candidate...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Shapiro didn't say a whole lot last night on the news...this was in the PD today:

The Indians are expected to sign free-agent third baseman Aaron Boone today to a one-year deal for 2005 that could extend into 2006. A 4 p.m. press conference has been called to announce the signing.

The deal is contingent on Boone passing a physical Friday. He has not played this year because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. The ACL is the main stabilizing ligament within the center of the knee joint.

If Boone signs, it's unknown when he'll be able to play. After meeting Boone earlier this month in California, General Manager Mark Shapiro said Boone wouldn't be able to play until the last two weeks of the season.

Another timetable has Boone starting play between Aug. 15 and Sept. 15.

When Shapiro met with Boone on June 3, Boone told him he considered the Indi ans a "team on the come."

The Indians are 35-37 and six games out of first place in the AL Central.

Another selling point for Boone, 31, was that the Indians told him they didn't care if he played this year or not. Big-market teams such as Los Angeles, Anaheim and Boston were interested in Boone for this year.

"We have legitimate and serious interest in Aaron Boone," said Shapiro. "We are in the middle of negotiations, and they are progressing."

Shapiro would say little else. The organization is still spooked by December's near trade of Omar Vizquel to Seattle.

The Mariners backed out of the deal because Vizquel's surgically repaired right knee didn't pass their physical.

Boone, whose home run in Game 7 of the American League Championship Series put the Yankees in the World Series last year, was scheduled to make $5.75 million this year. However, he injured his knee playing basketball in the off-season and the Yankees voided his contract.

They paid Boone nearly $1 million in termination pay and made him a free agent. Then, the Yankees filled the hole at third base with Alex Rodriguez.

Boone will make a smaller base salary next year, but incentives would give him a chance to approach his Yankees salary from last year.

If Boone signs, the next biggest question will be where he plays. Boone played third, shortstop and second in parts of seven seasons with Cincinnati. When the Reds traded him to the Yankees on July 31, he played 54 games at third.

"We want to be as versatile as we can be," said manager Eric Wedge. "We've been pretty consistent with that all along."

Wedge believes third baseman Casey Blake and second baseman Ronnie Belliard have the ability to play all over the infield. The Indians feel Boone could easily fit into that rotation.

If he settled at third, Blake could move to first or second.

"Eric talked to me about it," said Blake. "They had a window of opportunity to sign a good baseball player. He's a good person and a good player and can make this team better."

Blake has been the Indians' third baseman for the last two years. Boone could change that.

"If I keep doing what I'm doing, I've got nothing to worry about," said Blake.

Boone, a .270 lifetime hitter, bats right-handed, which is another reason the Indians like him. They need help against left-handers.

He hit .267 (158-for-592) with 32 doubles, 24 homers, 23 steals and 96 RBI with the Reds and Yankees last year. The year before, he hit .241 with 26 homers and 87 RBI.

Boone is a third generation big-leaguer, and the fourth Boone to reach the big leagues. Boone's grandfather, Ray, was an infielder with the Indians from 1948 through 1953.

we'll see what ol' Lebowitz has to say tomorrow.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

and the Tribe beat writer from the News Herald checks in with this...

If you're having a hard time figuring out where Aaron Boone fits, consider this:

In the Indians' starting lineup Friday night, their first baseman batted ninth.

Ninth!

First base is considered an offensive position. On most good teams, the first baseman bats in the middle of the lineup. Third, fourth, or fifth. Colorado's first baseman, Todd Helton, bats third. Jim Thome bats fourth. Jason Giambi bats fourth. Albert Pujols bats third. Jeff Bagwell bats fifth. Rafael Palmeiro bats fourth. Mike Sweeney bats fourth. Sean Casey bats third. Mike Piazza bats third. Richie Sexson, when healthy, bats fourth.

Friday night, the Indians' first baseman, Ben Broussard, batted ninth.

Ninth!

Enter Aaron Boone.

Assuming he passes his physical - and as we found out in the aborted Omar Vizquel trade last winter, that is not an assumption that should be cavalierly made - Boone fits, indirectly, at first base.

Which is bad news for the Indians' No. 9 hitter Friday night.

Prior to Friday's game, Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro refused to answer any questions on what appears to be the impending acquisition of Boone, who was in Cleveland Friday for a physical.

That physical takes on added significance, given the fact Boone blew out his knee playing basketball in February, forfeiting a $5.75 million contract he signed with the Yankees and making him a free agent.

The injury required surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in Boone's knee. That is major surgery. So major that there is some question as to how much help Boone will be to the Indians this season, which is why, presumably, the two parties have agreed on a two-year deal. It's a signing as much for next year as this year.

Shapiro was playing it coy Friday.

"The only thing I'm going to say about Aaron Boone," said Shapiro, only, "is that we have a legitimate interest in him. We're in the midst of negotiations, but a deal is not done."

When the deal is done, so is Broussard.

Not immediately, but eventually.

It's not hard to connect the dots on this one. Boone's best position is third base. The Indians' current third baseman is overlooked and under-appreciated Casey Blake, who at his current pace will finish this season with numbers similar to the .287 average, 24 home runs and 96 RBI Boone had for the Reds and Yankees last season.

Last year, in addition to being the Indians' starting third baseman, Blake was the Indians' backup first baseman. Once Boone arrives, and is healthy enough to play, the plan, presumably, will be to play Boone at third base and move Blake to first.

And neither one will likely bat ninth.

Where does that leave Broussard, who has been lapped by Travis Hafner in their competition this year?

Let's just say he will become available. Very available.

Because the Indians' true first baseman of the future isn't Hafner or Blake. It's hitting machine Michael Aubrey, who is doing a good Victor Martinez impression in the Tribe's minor-league system, getting two hits a night, first at Kinston, now at Akron.

Boone may not be ready to play until late in the season. But his pursuance by, and apparent acceptance of the Indians as a free-agent landing pad is significant not just artistically, but cosmetically and symbolically.

A Boone/Broussard exchange in the lineup is a definite upgrade. In addition to those solid numbers last year, in 2002, Boone hit 26 home runs with 87 RBI while stealing 32 bases for the Reds.

Boone could be a fixture at third for the next few years, given that former phenom Corey Smith is stuck in the mud at Akron, and there are no other apparent third-base candidates on the horizon for the big-league club.

Beyond that, the signing of Boone, assuming it takes place, will be the first tangible evidence that Indians ownership is willing to start writing checks to finance roster upgrades, as the team proves it can be a contender.

The importance of that cannot be understated. There has been considerable skepticism among fans and the media over whether the Dolan family would live up to its promise to start spending when the team got good again.

Well, the team is getting good again - maybe a little bit faster, and a little bit better, than anyone expected. And this would be a case of ownership proving that it will indeed spend again.

Signing Boone is hardly a stop-the-presses thunderbolt. But it is a signing that should improve the club's chances of contending.

It's also a significant signing in that the Indians are now back on the radar screen for free agents looking for places to play. Few established upper-tier players want to sign on for a rebuilding project, just as few teams being rebuilt are willing to pursue upper-tier players.

The Indians have clearly passed the "almost there" signpost on their rebuilding journey. They know it, and apparently so do players around the league. The Boone signing validates that on both fronts.

Boone is also a high character guy, and a right-handed bat, who should help the Indians in another area of need: hitting left-handed pitchers.

Why last year, for example, Boone, against left-handed pitchers, batted a lusty ... uh, 216.

Maybe he will bat ninth against them.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Hmmm...that's the first call that Boone was thinking of not playing at all this year...

Well...it's good to see Shapiro looking ahead...

Boone is the kind of vet that a team like this needs...

what the fuck is going on with Brandon Phillips...he's disappeared off the fucking radar...

That Colon deal is really looking like a bust...

what did the Indians get for Bradley...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

normally i hate that guy's columns but he made some good points in there today.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man...Riske has been off the charts...

past month...1.06 ERA...25 K's in 17 innings...

He oughta be closing soon...what up with Wickman?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the "player to be named" in the Bradley trade was Andrew Brown. i think he's in the minors.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i think i read Wickman pitched in the minors the other day. maybe it was a simulated game, i don't remember. he's on his way back.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

clipped from the Tribe's site:

Wickman has made two rehab appearances as he tries to rebound from the right elbow strain he suffered during a Spring Training intrasquad game.

In those two outings, he has pitched a total of 1 1/3 innings, compiling a 43.50 ERA. He has faced 10 batters, allowing three hits and three walks while striking out three. He has given up six earned runs.

Those stats certainly aren't encouraging. But Indians general manager Mark Shapiro is focusing on the positives of the two outings.

"The most encouraging things about the outings is that he sustained his stuff," Shapiro said. "(He had an) 89-92 (mph fastball), good sinker, good depth to his slider. Just as encouraging is he felt good during the outings and the next day."

No news on the pain front is good news for Wickman and the Indians. Before beginning his rehab stint, Wickman told reporters any pain he feels at the end of this season would most likely cause him to retire.

But how close is Wickman to making his return to the Majors? That remains a mystery.

"He still needs time," Shapiro said. "How much time? I'm not sure. We're looking for two things. One, for Wicky to tell us he's fine and ready to go. And two, for us to agree with him. I'm not going to forecast when that is."

But the Indians are definitely hoping it's soon.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LMFAO...that was a fantastic article...

So...am I to assume then that Cleveland is ready to put Phillips at short next year?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

the other guy from the Dodgers was Frankin Gutierrez. he's in Buffalo.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Phillips at short sounds right. Vizquel is starting to look like the guy thats stayed too long. he bruised his finger the other day while trying to make a barehanded catch...which he could do in his sleep five years ago.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Alright...so they shouldn't count on Wickman...

but Broussard sure as fuck isn't going to bring in anything...

I know Boone has played some first base as well...

I like the Tribe infield's ability to maneuvre...and it's funny...

it looks like the Tribe is expecting Belliard to continue at second...

I see him becoming their utility guy at some point...would be nice if he could stick around...and keep up the pace...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I guess Peralta is probably going to get the gig at Short...that must mean the Phillips will be playing second at some point...

Hmmm...maybe trade bait...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yo...twona...Give me my tribe fix...what was in Sunday's Herald and Plain Dealer?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

By the way...I'm going to change this thread to Indians Chatter...and bro...you've gotta stop by with anything interesting you hear on the street...

LMFAO...my wife and I have been talking about coming home for years...like the weather down here and all...but I was telling my wife I'd move home strictly to have REAL sports again...

fucking braves country down here...drives me mad...stupid rednecks...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i just got back from the store w/the papers...check back in a few.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's about damn time...lmfao...

I hear CC's MRI looks Identical to the one in April that put him out for a week...

heading to alabama so a specialist can check it out...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

here's C.C....

CLEVELAND (AP) -- C.C. Sabathia will be examined by two more doctors after making only eight pitches for the Cleveland Indians on Saturday night because of a sore left shoulder.

Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said the left-hander will see team physician Dr. Mark Schickendantz on Sunday afternoon and go to Birmingham, Ala., on Monday for an examination by noted sports orthopedic doctor James Andrews.

"C.C. feels a lot better today, but we want to make sure our course of action is correct in this," Soloff said before Sunday's game against the Colorado Rockies.

Soloff said an MRI taken Saturday night, "was consistent with the MRI we had on C.C. on April 22."

Sabathia was scratched from a start against Kansas City at that time and was diagnosed with an irritated left biceps tendon in the front of his shoulder. He was sidelined until May 1, but Soloff said he did not know if Sabathia will miss his next start, scheduled for Thursday in Detroit.

Sabathia, who played catch in the outfield before the game, seemed unsure as well.

"Ask Lonnie, because he can tell you better than me what is going on," Sabathia said.

The 6-foot-7, 300-pound Sabathia retired the Rockies on eight pitches -- six for strikes -- then went to the dugout holding his left shoulder and moving his arm in a circular motion.

"C.C. caught his foot on the mound on a pitch and it put his arm a little bit behind his body on a pitch," Soloff said. "He felt a pinch in his shoulder.

"He generates a lot of momentum and an athlete as strong as C.C. is a bigger risk when his arm is back like that."

In his previous start Monday, Sabathia allowed one run and five hits over eight innings in a 5-1 victory over the Chicago White Sox, just hours after attending the funeral of a close cousin.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...that sounds a bit more promising than the other reports that I've heard...

What's this shit I've been hearing about Jacobs potentially repurchasing the Indians?

Would seem to make sense...now that the payroll is low...and potential high to raise the gate a bit...

is this true...or just wishful thinking among the rumor mongers...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Lebowitz on Boone:

When it became the buzz around the Indians' clubhouse Friday that infielder Aaron Boone was about to be signed, you could sense the apprehension among several players. Boone had been chiefly a third baseman. What happens to Casey Blake? Will he be moved to first? If so, his pal, Ben Broussard, would be gone. If Boone or Blake played second, what happens to Ronnie Belliard? At Class AAA Buffalo, I'm told infielders Jhonny Peralta and Brandon Phillips wondered if Boone's signing would keep them back in the minors another year. Manager Eric Wedge immediately collared Blake and told him, "You're our guy. This deal gives us plenty of options, but there will be plenty of bats to go around." GM Mark Shapiro also talked with Blake on Saturday to assure him his spot on the roster is not in jeopardy. Then Wedge and Shapiro spoke with Belliard to assure him he still is their second baseman this season.

It's likely Boone, who will continue to get in condition in Arizona and then will spend some time in the minors, won't be with the Indians until September.

I know the Boone family, starting with grandpa Ray, who played for the Indians, and they're super folks. Aaron is all class. One reason the Indians signed him was because of the professionalism he'll bring to the clubhouse.

Still, i didn't like what i saw of his playing ability with the Yankees late last season. That and his injury would have kept me from giving him $2.5 million for next season and about $4.5 million if he plays regularly.

The Indians have multiple scouting reports on Boone from his games with Cincinnati last season and rate him attractive. His on-base averageis high (we walks a lot), he bats right-handed, a Tribe need, and no young talent had to be given up.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i haven't heard anything about Jacobs buying the team again. i'm still waiting for them to fire Wedge and bring Hargrove back as manager.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh jesus christ...you don't think they brought back Hargrove with that thought in mind do you? Wedge seems to be doing a great job this year...

how's he handling his pitchers?

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

more Lebowitz-On the way out?

Part of the reasoning behind the signing of Boone was the Indians didn't think they could keep Belliard next season. He's subject to arbitration, and based on this season's performance, an arbitrator would give him at least $4 million. The Indians could sign him now, offering a sizable raise and avoid arbitration, but he would want a long-tern contract - at least three years - and the Indians don't want to commit to that.

So figure on both Belliard and Omar Vizquel being gone next season. Vizquel says he wants to play a few more years. The only way the Indians would keep him next season is if, liking Cleveland so much, Vizquel says, "I'll sign for $1 million."

Shapiro told the Cleveland City Club last week that after Omar's playing days are over and he wants to stay in baseball in some capacity, "We'll almost certainly welcome him back, just as we've done with Charles Nagy."

Both Peralta and Phillps are having solid seasons in Buffalo and both can play short and second.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

as soon as they rehired Grover, i thought it was just in case of a Wedge collapse. of course, i thought the same thing when they rehired Buddy Bell a couple years ago. Dolan always says he's a fan of the team and its history...i could see him bringing Hargrove back.

i don't get to watch many games because of my new schedule, but i don't read much negative stuff regarding Wedge and the pitchers. the 'pen was screwing up, it wasn't so much Wedge going to relief at the wrong time.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Man...the Tribe is just fucking chalk full of talent...

they could play these extra players into something big over the next few years...

and it seems like they are making all the right moves thusfar...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah...I did think that Bell was brought in for 2 reasons...to help "season" wedge...and to then take his slot if/when he blew up...

as it stands now...I can't see anything happening to Wedge...unless they fold it up the next three months...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

more Lebowitz...

I had heard the Indians have Richie Sexson on their radar screen for next year as their first baseman. He's going to be a free agent. Does the acquisition of Boone knock that out, since Blake might move there? "Not at all," I was told by a Tribe exec. "Blake can be our utility infielder (which would end John McDonald's days here) or our second baseman. Although Richie (now with the Diamondbacks) hasn't played much this season and now is through for the year because of an injury, he proably expects to get a contract over $10 million, and much as we like him, that would be too big a risk after his injury."

The Indians do expect to have about $15 million to spend on free agents next year because, for the first time, they'll be on the recieving end of the luxury tax and they'll be without the contracts of Vizquel and Bob Wickman.

Incidentally, you may remember the Tribe once had Sexson before then-GM John Hart traded him to get Wickman.
    Last edited by twonabomber; 06-27-2004 at 03:05 PM.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

thats the thing. if they keep adding talent, and Wedge doesn't screw it up, they're all gonna look like geniuses.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

some chatter from the PD...

Clubhouse confidential: New Tribe third baseman Aaron Boone said he's been watching a lot of Indians games on TV recently. He must be.

When he entered the interview room at Jacobs Field Saturday, he spotted Fox Sports Net Ohio's Andy Baskin.

"There's Andy Baskin," Boone said.

Baskin was impressed. "What a big day for me," he said.

More Boone: During batting practice, Boone walked around introducing himself to his new teammates. He was wearing an Indians cap, an Indians jersey and dress slacks.

As the team exited the field, outfielder Jody Gerut smiled and said, "Someone tell Boone he can take his Indians cap off. We all know he signed."

Stat of the day: Boone's first big-league home run was hit off the Chicago Cubs' Kerry Wood in August 1998.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

For Boone, choice was easy
    Free-agent infielder likes direction Indians are headed

Sunday, June 27, 2004
    Dennis Manoloff
    Plain Dealer Reporter

A two-hour lunch was enough to convince Aaron Boone to leave his comfort zone in the West for Cleveland. Whatever Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge told Boone on June 3 in Southern California, they need to memorize it for use on future free agents.

"When I got into the car after meeting with those guys, I said, I want to be an Indian,' " Boone said.

"Aaron was fired up," said Adam Katz, his agent. "From that point, we really concentrated on Cleveland."

Less than four weeks later, they made it happen. The signing of third baseman Boone to a two-year contract, with a vesting provision on a club option for 2006, officially was announced Saturday at a news conference at Jacobs Field. The deal, in the hopper for several days, was contingent on Boone passing a physical Friday.

Boone, 31, has not played this season as he recovers from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that occurred in January during a pickup basketball game. Boone also suffered a torn ACL in the left knee in 2000.

Boone is a career .270 hitter with 92 home runs and 393 RBI in parts of seven major-league seasons. All but 54 of his 722 games in the majors have been with the Cincinnati Reds, who traded him to the Yankees on July 31, 2003. On Oct. 15, his homer off Boston's Tim Wakefield in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the American League Championship Series made him a household name in Gotham.

A source familiar with the Indians negotiations said Boone will earn about $350,000 this year as his prorated salary. The source said Boone could earn an estimated $5 million in 2005, with the money evenly split between base salary and incentives. The 2006 portion of the contract, potentially worth $5.5 million, would be guaranteed if Boone reaches a plate-appearance incentive next season. The 2006 breakdown is for about $4.125 million base, $1.375 million incentive.

Boone had been scheduled to earn $5.75 million with the Yankees this season, but management voided the contract because of a provision that prohibited basketball games as an off-field activity. The Yankees paid him nearly $1 million in termination pay and made him a free agent.

"I would have liked to stay out West, maybe in the National League," said Boone, a California native who lives in Phoenix, Ariz., "so this is a testament to my belief in what the Indians are doing. There is a lot of young talent on this team."

With the Indians 22-28 at the time of the lunch meeting, Shapiro and Wedge sold Boone on a blueprint that pegged 2005 as the year to contend seriously for the playoffs and beyond. In doing so, they put no pressure on Boone to return this season, whereas big-market clubs such as Los Angeles, Anaheim and Boston had sought immediate dividends.

"Cleveland most impressed us because they really didn't care if Aaron was not ready to play this year," Katz said. "They were simply in the Aaron Boone business. They want him back when he's ready, not just in September."

More than four months removed from surgery, Boone said the rehabilitation process has gone smoothly. He will return to Arizona today to resume the rehab, estimated at another 3-4 weeks. He then will join the Indians and commence spring-training-type work before embarking on a major-league rehab assignment.

A setback-free scenario has Boone playing for the Indians in late August or early September.

"I feel like I'll come out of this in as good a shape as I've ever been," he said. "I'm looking forward to being in a clubhouse again."

Among those who helped convince Boone to come to Cleveland was Reds first baseman Sean Casey, a close friend of the player and Shapiro. Casey has lauded Boone as the quintessential teammate.

Boone is the son of former Reds manager and standout catcher Bob Boone, and the brother of Mariners second baseman Bret. His grandfather, Ray Boone, was an All-Star during his 13-year career, including six with Cleveland (1948-53). According to the Indians media relations staff, the Boones are one of just three three-generation baseball families (Bells, Hairstons).

"Grandpa has the '48 World Series team picture on the wall at his home," Aaron said of the Tribe's most recent world champion. "I think my playing for the Indians is going to be neat and probably a bit nostalgic."

Aaron reported that Ray, who lives in San Diego, has been feeling better after an illness.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I love the arms in the minors...and still with position players like Phillips, Sizemore, Peralta and Aubrey...they are stil going strong...

finally...keeping some of that talent local...I fear the trade deadline this year...

Thread Information