Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Maybe they'll go after Kenyon Martin...who knows what the fuck they'll do...

trashy thing for a player to do to get out of his contract...

and a stupid thing for the Cavs to do...here the guy tells them he'll resign...and bam...what a bitch...

figures...he's from Duke...

here's a report on the matter...dead on...:

remember talking with Boozer in January about his long-term plans. He acknowledged there was a chance he could leave the Cavs in the off-season, but the possibility seemed remote. All the Cavs had to do was pick up the team option it held on Boozer for next season at less than $700,000, then sign Boozer to a long-term deal in 2005. It seemed Boozer would be teamed with guard LeBron James for a long time in Cleveland. "In the future, that is going to be the program for the Cavs," Boozer said. "LeBron is establishing himself as one of the best young guys in the league, and I am trying to do the same thing — establish myself as one of the best young power forwards.:

Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

Boozer did that with his breakout performance last season. Then, this summer, Boozer and the Cavs explored a different possibility — they could toss out the team option for 2004-05 altogether, make Boozer a restricted free agent, then re-sign him to a six-year deal in the $40 million range. That way, Boozer could start collecting on a big contract earlier, and the Cavs would have one of their rising stars locked up. Boozer, according to a statement from Cavs owner Gordon Gund and general manager Jim Paxson, verbally agreed to this.

So, when the Cavaliers had the opportunity to exercise their one-year, $700,000 option on Boozer's deal early last week, they declined, making Boozer a restricted free agent. That was not a problem, because he had agreed to re-sign with the team.

Until this weekend, that is.

With Boozer a free agent, Denver began to show interest. Utah, sensing an opportunity and sensing pressure to finally spend some of its cap money, came up with the extremely generous offer of just under $70 million. Boozer had made a verbal commitment to the Cavs, but the Jazz were bettering Cleveland's offer by almost $30 million. Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

To be fair, the Cavs would have gotten a bargain by signing Boozer for $40 million, and Boozer did nothing wrong by NBA rules. He got the most money he could, which is something most employees would do. But the fact is, he lied to the Cavs, the team that gave him a shot in the second round of the draft, the team that inserted him in the starting lineup and allowed him to shine, the team that was trying to do the right thing by him. Boozer and his agent, Rob Pelinka, double-crossed the Cavs by getting them to allow him out of his contract, then bolting for bigger money when the Cavs could have had him another year for minimum-contract money.

Paxson bungled this, and could get fired. But he shouldn't, not for this (there may be other reasons to fire Paxson, but that's another column). As far as Boozer goes, Paxson's only fault was that he trusted a guy who turned out to be a liar. According to the statement, Gund seemed to trust Boozer as much as Paxson did — if the owner was gullible enough to be duped by Boozer, then he probably won't fire his GM because he was duped, too. "Our actions," the joint statement read, "have been based on what Carlos told us he wanted."

But, if the Cavaliers are to be believed, Carlos is a liar, which is what makes this a really crummy story. The Cavaliers look bad for flubbing the situation. Pelinka and Boozer — Benedict Boozer, as folks in Cleveland will come to know him — come out with an air of scum around them. And fans … well, I would not blame fans for being a little less enthusiastic about the NBA next year because of this.

The Jazz, of course, are the only entity to come out of all this with its reputation intact, having landed a top-notch power forward, adding to a huge off-season for the team. It now has Boozer to go with its frontcourt of center Mehmet Okur (assuming Detroit allows him to leave) and forward Andrei Kirilenko. Utah, which drafted Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder, could now look to deal Matt Harpring.

For Utah, then, this is good. For everyone else, this is just bad.

fuckin' piece of shit...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

People wonder why the NBA is looked at as a classless establishment...this is fucking why...

The Cavs are fucking morons for taking any of these scumbags at their word...

shame on them...

The NBA can goto hell...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• ALinChainz
        DIAMOND STATUS
        • Jan 2004

I hear what you're saying. We wouldn't be able to keep Okur and sign Rasheed to what he's going to want.

But what DO you say what is almost an extra $30 million?

Cavs need to step up the offer now if they want to keep him, and who knows what you pay whoever they think can replace him?

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

They can't afford it without dumping players to keep him...

fuck him dude...he's a piece of shit...

it's a step back...but pretty soon...players will be clangin' to play in Cleveland...if they keep LeBron...

fuckin' douchebag...what a piece of shit...

have him wrapped up at 700 G's...

tell him, "Okay douchebag...we can get you more money a year earlier...if you agree to sign with us. We'll let you out of your contract this year, and sign you to a 40 million dollar deal..."

The guy says yes...then doesn an interview on the first saying he won't go anywhere but Cleveland no matter what they offer...

lmfao...

you can't trust anyone...

fuck him...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

I hope Utah fucking rots...

Comment

• ALinChainz
              DIAMOND STATUS
              • Jan 2004

Putting together a good team out there, albeit slowly.

lol ... but they can rot. No problem with that.

Like the article said though, Foyle and Alston getting deals like they've gotten, Boozer would have to at least listen, take advantage of the current free agent system.

I agree with you, I think there will be labor strife and the league is going to want to look at an age limit, similar to the NFL.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                Roth Army Caesar
                • Mar 2003

Well...a couple of things here...

You have to think that both Cleveland and Boozer knew that these offers were going to come...and that they were addressed...

Bro...I'm not doubting that in the least...of course they had to listen...

and if the Cavs didn't address this...like I said...shame on them...

but without the Cavs letting him out of the contract to begin with...

I don't know man...if Boozer comes out of this looking good in the media after flat out lying to get out of his contract...

30 million is a lot of cash to fucking pass up...but when you put it all together...

it's still shitty...

and the Union would just as soon dissipate the NBA then to let their punk bitches have to stay in school an extra year or two...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                  Roth Army Caesar
                  • Mar 2003

Coach K had a good quote here the other day...

interview: Coach...will you staying in the college ranks give you a bigger voice in the talks between the NCAA and the NBA to institute an age limit?

Coach K: Sure...it'll make my voice louder...there just won't be anyone listening...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                    DIAMOND STATUS
                    • Jan 2004

Oh it's big time shitty.

Okur average almost 10 a game in varying playing time, is nearly 7'0 and is 25.

I'll hate the world if Rasheed was just putting us on for a contract.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

Well...don't get me wrong here...I know the Pistons were in a shitty position...

but...

Okur didn't get out of an existing contract by saying he'd resign...

then not resign...

I can't wait until that fucker comes back to play in Cleveland...guaranteed sell out...

put him up there with Modell and Elway and Manny and Thome into the Pantheon of fuckheads...in Cleveland Sports History...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                        DIAMOND STATUS
                        • Jan 2004

Oh I know it ain't the same fucking Cleveland got.

Just I'm also coming from the "I hate to lose a good, young player" standpoint.

And being from Michigan, I'm putting aside my opinions on Cleveland for the sake of discussion.

lol ...
                        Last edited by ALinChainz; 07-09-2004, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

LMFAO...

well...

Paxson should be murdered...unbelievable fuckup...unbelievable...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

Must be why Ainge thinks he can do it also.

Well, he can fuck up to ... mission accomplished.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

Ainge...man...thank god for him...he can make any GM look good...

he'll be gone after this year...when they Deal Pierce for a crack pipe...a case of shasta...and a 6 pack of velveeta slices...

Comment

• twonabomber
                                formerly F A T
                                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
                                Paxson should be murdered...unbelievable fuckup...unbelievable...
                                yeah. all the stations interviewed a bunch of fans on the news, and they were calling for Paxson's head.
                                Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

Working...