Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Cleveland Sports Chatter

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The draft worked out better than expected...

The Cavs had worked both of them out...and really coveted Brown for his defense...athletic ability...and really...the kind of game that mirrors Lebron a bit...

but he can shoot from the outside...and will improve...

Gibson was a guy that the Cavs figured they would take in the first round...

thinking Brown wouldn't be there...

then...tried like hell to trade up to get Gibson after they took Brown...

Gibson was so sure he'd get drafted in the first by Cleveland...that he didn't work out for anyone else...which...lmfao...hurt him getting picked in the first...

and ended up helping the Cavs get him in the second...
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LeBron says yes
    Sunday, July 09, 2006
    Branson Wright
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    OK, Cavaliers fans. You can relax now.

LeBron James says he is staying put.

James, silent since the Cavaliers offered him a contract ex tension on July 1, on Saturday delivered the news that fans in Northeast Ohio have been waiting to hear.

"Staying in Cleveland near my hometown of Akron provides me with the unique opportunity to continue to play in front of my family, friends and fans," James, 21, said in a written state ment. "I look forward to working toward bringing a champion ship to our great fans and the city of Cleveland. I'd like to thank my coaches and teammates as well as the entire Cavalier organiz ation for their hard work, encouragement and support."

Because of NBA rules governing free agency, James cannot sign the extension until Wednesday. The extension can be for as many as five years for up to $80 million. If he makes good on his promise, it will mean the Cavaliers are assured of having one of the top play- ers in the NBA under contract through the 2011-12 season.

At that time, James will be 27.

"We are very happy to hear LeBron's recent statements regarding his desire to help work toward bringing a Cavaliers championship to Cleveland and our fans," Cavaliers General Manager Danny Ferry said in a written statement. "We plan to sit down next week with Leon Rose [James' agent] to agree on terms of an extension."

James, who starred at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School before becoming the No. 1 pick in the 2003 draft, will make $5.8 million next season in the final year of his rookie contract, and his new contract will begin with the 2007-08 season.

In his three years with the Cavaliers, James has set numerous team and league records and last season led the club into the playoffs for the first time since 1998. He was third in the NBA in scoring last season, averaging 31.4 points per game, and for his career he is averaging 26.5 points, 6.6 assists and 6.6 rebounds per game.

While James has maintained he is happy with the Cavaliers and pleased with the direction of the team, fans became nervous after several other marquee players from James' draft class such as Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade announced this month that they would re-sign with their teams but James did not immediately follow suit.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Page 2 of 2
    Although he would have had to wait two more seasons to become an unrestricted free agent, fans fretted he would be the latest sports star to leave town for a larger market.

"This is an incredible moment of pride for a franchise and for the people throughout Ohio because there was always the thought LeBron was out and going to New York, Los Angeles or Chicago, but he did what he said he was going to do all along," said ESPN's pro basketball analyst and former NBA great Bill Walton. "This places him on an even higher pedestal."

Fans may not have been this proud since the Cavs earned the right to draft James with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 NBA Draft. Since then, James has grown into one of the best players in the league. During that span, James has been rookie of the year, a two-time All-Star and the youngest player named MVP of the All-Star Game.

Last season he finished second in league MVP voting behind Steve Nash of Phoenix while guiding the Cavs to their best regular-season record in 14 years. Because of James, home attendance and TV ratings have soared in each of his three seasons, and his jersey is one of the biggest sellers in the league. This spring, the Cavaliers beat Washington in the first round of the playoffs for their first postseason series win since 1993, and they lost a hard-fought seven-game series to Detroit in the second round.

Owner Dan Gilbert certainly did his part in making it more difficult for James to leave. To help improve the team, Gilbert signed free agents Larry Hughes, Donyell Marshall and Damon Jones last summer. The locker rooms and lounge areas were remodeled, and a $20 million practice facility is in the works in Independence. There also has been discussion of purchasing a new team plane. Fans, however, are not alone in their relief.

"Now, I can go to sleep at night and people can leave me alone and stop asking me if he's going or staying," said a smiling Marshall.

Added guard/forward Ira Newble: "Everywhere I went, people were asking me if he was going to sign. I never did talk to LeBron, but I felt all along he was going to stay because the organization has treated him well and he has a chance to win a championship here. And it's always a plus to play near your hometown."

The potential signing of James also means the Cavs can focus their attention on improving the team through trades or signing free agents. The team is negotiating with forward Drew Gooden, a restricted free agent.

"A lot of free agents were waiting to see if we were going to sign LeBron, and they weren't sure about signing a long-term deal with Cleveland until they saw what LeBron was doing," Marshall said. "This is going to help us. We can also focus on winning an NBA championship. We were a rebound short from the conference finals [last season]; now we can put the rest of the pieces together. LeBron agreeing to sign was a step into that direction."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

bwright@plaind.com, 216-999-4671

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    James' contract drama was much ado about nothing
    Sunday, July 09, 2006
    Bud Shaw
    Plain Dealer Columnist
    LeBron James wasn't going anywhere.

You had to invent the drama here. Some pessimists did with conspiracy theories that fell just short of linking Jay-Z to Lee Harvey Oswald.

Had he decided not to sign now, the theory went, trace it to James' Nike deal. It pays him more if he takes his amazing talents to a big market.

Rapper Shawn "Jay-Z" Carter, James' buddy, is part owner of the New Jersey Nets. New Jersey is close to New York (too close, to hear New Yorkers tell it).

But there was never any pressing reason to worry, because it was never a matter of whether James would stay with the Cavaliers or go. He was two years from being able to walk away free and clear.

In the past year, the Cavs had shown themselves to be serious about winning. No reason they won't again next season.

The only real issue: Would James stay for now or stay for longer?

Agreeing to the extension, which can be worth up to about $80 million over as many as five years, made overwhelming financial sense despite James' marketing clout. Growing up in Akron or Anchorage wouldn't have changed that.

There's time - maybe in five years - for Cleveland sports fans to blubber like Sally Field at her Oscar acceptance speech - "I can't deny the fact that you like me" - but this wasn't it.

James did what league superstars have done for a long time. In his case, he may have followed his heart, too. But he also followed the money.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    James' contract drama was much ado about nothing
    Page 2 of 2
    By NBA rule, the Cavaliers can pay him the most. The only surprise was that he waited a week to make the announcement, whereas 2003 draft classmates Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Bosh jumped into the arms of their respective owners the first chance they got.

Whatever, thank James for bringing a superiority complex to Cleveland. It's a slow go among those always expecting the worst, but you can feel that building.

Thank the other big people who made this possible, too, including Dan Gilbert. The Cavaliers owner has proven he's as player-friendly as Mark Cuban without the need to be seen and heard.

Gilbert's initial steps were clumsy. If the timing were different and James became eligible for the extension this time last year, no one could have blamed him if he said he preferred to wait. But the organization has made a nice recovery.

The hiring of Danny Ferry was major in changing management's image among players. The tear-down under Gilbert didn't last long. Gilbert's improvement to the locker room and arena, and his plans for a new $20 million practice facility should help lure the free-agent help James needs to win a championship.

Other than head coach Mike Brown's relative inexperience directing an NBA offense, James can't have too many complaints. Brown makes it clear he considers it a privilege to coach James. The organization and city fall all over him. What more could he want . . . besides a title or three?

Thank the NBA, too. Superstars don't wander away from their teams at the first whiff of flattery.

Financial incentives make that possible. Tim Duncan isn't still in tiny San Antonio because he likes touring The Alamo, Kevin Garnett in Minnesota because he can't get enough snow.

Being a local guy, LeBron James has personal incentives for wanting to bring a championship here. A signed extension doesn't guarantee that, but it sure beat the alternative for the team and its superstar.

To reach this Plain Dealer columnist:

bshaw@plaind.com, 216-999-5639

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    LeBron agrees to stay with Cavs
    Contract extension to be worth about $80 million will keep star with team through 2011-12 season
    By Brian Windhorst
    Beacon Journal sportswriter

LeBron James announced Saturday he has accepted the Cavaliers' contract extension offer. The deal is currently projected to average about $16 million a year and run through the 2011-12 season.

James is expected to sign sometime after the NBA's moratorium period ends on Wednesday.

The league's salary-cap rules always favored the Cavs being able to hold onto James, but since he was a rookie in 2003, there has been constant speculation that James would look to depart Cleveland to play in a larger market like other high-profile athletes have in the past.

Those rumors grew louder during the past week as James mulled the extension offer given to him on July 1. Turns out all that conjecture wasn't completely off base.

James said he did consider the market before signing: his home market.

``I am very excited and happy to be re-signing with the Cavaliers. Staying in Cleveland near my hometown of Akron provides me with the unique opportunity to continue to play in front of my family, friends, and fans,'' James said in a statement.

``I look forward to working toward bringing a championship to our great fans and the city of Cleveland. I'd like to thank my coaches and teammates as well as the entire Cavalier organization for their hard work, encouragement and support,'' James added.

The terms of the deal won't be finalized for a few days, but if it follows the framework of previous maximum contracts, it will include a clause that allows James to opt out of the final year of the deal, in June of 2011.

James will make $5.8 million next season, the last of his four-year rookie contract. The extension will give him a raise to about $13 million in 2007 followed by annual raises of about $1.4 million.

That doesn't include $130 million more in endorsement earnings.

The Cavs were confident James would re-sign after their best season in 14 years. They won 50 games in the regular season and advanced to the second round of the playoffs before losing to the Detroit Pistons in seven games. James finished second in the league's Most Valuable Player voting after averaging 31.4 points per game and smashing numerous team records.

``We are very happy to hear LeBron's recent statements regarding his desire to help work toward bringing a Cavaliers championship to Cleveland and our fans,'' Cavs General Manager Danny Ferry said in a statement. ``We plan to sit down next week with Leon Rose (James' agent) to agree on terms of an extension.''

Owner Dan Gilbert also paved the way to keeping James happy by investing $160 million in free agents and more than $30 million into improvements at Quicken Loans Arena and a new practice facility scheduled to be constructed in Independence.

The potential of the team and the upgrades played into James' ultimate decision.

``LeBron has been thoughtful and deliberate in making this important decision,'' Rose said. ``It is a great moment for him, his family, his fans and the entire Cavalier organization.''

The announcement delighted fans who have been patiently waiting for James' decision as they lit up radio talk shows and Internet message boards. Equally set at ease were James' teammates.

``I'm very happy that LeBron decided to re-sign with us,'' Cavs' center Zydrunas Ilgauskas wrote in an e-mail from Israel, where he is on vacation. ``The franchise has a bright future and he's the reason.''

Rose said he and the Cavs were still working out details, but it is expected an event that will be part celebration, part news conference will be planned for this week when James makes everything official.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    People VACATION in Israel?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    No real reason for fans to worry
    As expected, LeBron agrees to stay with Cavs
    By Terry Pluto
    Now that the LeBron James Watch is over, can everyone just relax?

The Cavaliers superstar will do what he's been saying he'd do for nearly a year -- sign a contract extension with the team when NBA rules allow, beginning Wednesday.

The new deal will be worth about $80 million for five years. The 6-foot-8 All-Star will be tied up for six more seasons, as his old contract calling for $5.8 million in 2006-2007 remains in place.

James has spent much of the past year saying that he was happy with the Cavaliers. He's a local kid who spent four years at Akron's St. Vincent-St. Mary High School when he was offered chances to attend prep schools all over the country.

Here's something that's impossible for people outside Northeast Ohio to understand: HE LIKES IT HERE! That deserves to be in capital letters with an exclamation point.

Yes, he flies to New York and to the West Coast to visit celebrity friends. But he also attends local high school and college games to watch his old buddies play ball.

He has invested in rebuilding some Akron-area recreation centers.

His bikeathon has raised money to give bikes to Akron kids who need them. He just announced that he's investing in a real estate deal in the Glenville area of Cleveland.

Last week, he was at Quicken Loans Arena to greet the Cavs' two new draft choices. He said he was thrilled with the team's best season since the early 1990s, as the Cavs won 50 games and took the Detroit Pistons to a seventh game in the second round of the playoffs.

OK, he wears a New York Yankees baseball cap.

But does any of this sound like a guy getting ready to leave?

Talking heads on national radio and television spent a week babbling about why James will bolt Cleveland as soon as possible.

In New York, there was the arrogant assumption that James would want to be a New York Knick. Don't they know James has seen the Knicks play? He wants to win, and can live without 15 photographers chasing him around every time he goes to the drugstore.

As of now, it doesn't seem that New York, Chicago or anywhere else is his kind of town. At 21, James is in no rush to leave, and his youth means he'll be in his basketball prime when the next contract expires in six years.

Part of the reason James will stay with the Cavs is the current NBA labor agreement, which gives a free agent's current team an enormous home-court advantage.

Many members of the media refused to acknowledge this. Some didn't do their homework; others just preferred to ignore the facts because it made for a better story.

This summer, no other NBA team could offer James a contract. Next summer, the Cavs had the right to match any offer James might have received. At any point, NBA rules allow the Cavs to give James more money and more years than any other team.

That's why stars such as Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs) and Kevin Garnett (Minnesota Timberwolves) have remained with their original teams despite being in smaller markets.

Unlike baseball, where the Indians have lost the likes of Jim Thome, Albert Belle and Manny Ramirez, the NBA has a salary cap that truly puts a lid on wild free-agent spending and protects all the franchises.

Another factor is the possibility of injury. A year ago, Phoenix Suns star Amare Stoudamire was in the same basic contractual position as James, and he signed an extension. He's glad he did, because he suffered a major knee injury and missed most of last season.

Those are the dollars and common sense of the move.

But what's most annoying about this story is how so many in the national sports media spend so much time trying to figure out why James would want to dump the Cavaliers.

They paid little attention to how he's consistently said kind things about his hometown, how he really has invested in terms of charity in this area. Who cares that he enjoys playing in front of family and friends, right?

They didn't want to give new Cavs owner Dan Gilbert credit for stabilizing the front office with new general manager Danny Ferry and paying out big bucks to revamp the arena and the dressing rooms and upgrading travel and other amenities for players.

Some Cavs fans fell into the same trap, assuming James would walk away because other Cleveland sports heroes have in the past. They have listened too long to those who love to put down our part of the country.

James has never apologized for being from Northeast Ohio. He's never said anything critical about the Cavaliers, other than having reasonable expectations that the once-dismal franchise must improve.

When he was drafted by the Cavs, he said he planned to ``light up Cleveland like Vegas.''

On the nights when he plays at Quicken Loans Arena, he does just that. And he'll be playing there for a long time.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    The NBA has the best free agency structure of any of the four major sports.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    It's fan friendly for sure...

with the Larry Bird Rule...which allows the home team to resign players at higher deals...

but also allows sign and trades for players that absolutely want to leave...

Hockey's right now seems to be very similar...without the Larry Bird Rule...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Larry Bird...what a guy!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I'm relatively certain the player's association isn't keen on it though...overall...

imagine what Lebron would make without restrictions...

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    $30 million.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    to start...

and he would be playing in LA...they'd probably be the closest team that would be able to do it...

of course...if LeBron could make 30...lmfao...I suppose that whore Kobe would be making some dough as well...

ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    What's this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2514918

LeBron James showed himself to be a shrewd businessman as an 18-year-old when he signed gigantic endorsement contracts before even entering the league. The Cleveland Cavaliers star may have pulled off another smart deal.

Is This Unprecedented?
    In the summer of 2000, teams like Orlando and Chicago courted Spurs star Tim Duncan, but he opted to return to San Antonio. Unusually, however, he did so on a four-year deal with the fourth season being at his option, allowing him to return to free agency in the summer of 2003.

In that case, Duncan's motivation seemed geared more toward team success than toward compensation. He was unsure what the Spurs' future held (David Robinson was becoming a free agent in another year), so he gave himself a convenient escape route if the Spurs didn't add to their core in the intervening three years. Of course, that became a moot point when the Spurs won the title in Duncan's walk year, and he re-signed without a second thought.

Sources have told ESPN's Stephen A. Smith that James has agreed to a three-year extension worth approximately $60 million, with a player option for a fourth season (rather than what was reported earlier as James being able to opt out of a four-year deal).

It had been widely reported that James would sign a five-year, $80 million maximum contract Wednesday. He could have very good reason to settle for less now.

If he were to decline his player option after the 2009-10 season, James would move into a higher salary bracket. As a seven-year veteran, he would be able to sign a contract paying up to 30 percent of a team's salary cap, as opposed to his current ceiling of 25 percent. Furthermore, a shorter contract would give James greater flexibility and leverage, should he decide he is unhappy with the Cavs' direction.

Unlike others from his draft class, James waited one week to agree to the Cavs' contract offer. Cleveland, which saw Carlos Boozer bolt for Utah after verbally agreeing to a deal, started to worry. It could be that James' representatives and the Cavaliers were fine-tuning this aspect of his deal.

No contract can be signed until Wednesday. James is heading into the final year of his rookie contract and will earn $5.8 million this season. His exact salary for the life of the extension will be determined when the salary cap is set by the NBA for the 2007-08 season.

He would have been eligible for restricted free agency in 2007, but James has said all along that he wanted to return to Cleveland, which is close to his hometown of Akron.

"I am very excited and happy to be re-signing with the Cavaliers. Staying in Cleveland ... provides me with the unique opportunity to continue to play in front of my family, friends and fans," James said in a statement released by his publicist this week. "I look forward to working toward bringing a championship to our great fans and the city of Cleveland."

That a superstar would ask to be paid less than that max would be a unique maneuver. It's similar to what Tim Duncan did after his third season with San Antonio.

Then again, James has made a habit of redefining the league. Last year, he became the youngest player in NBA history to average at least 30 points per game over the course of a season. His averages of 31.4 points, 7.0 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game allowed him to join Oscar Robertson, Jerry West and Michael Jordan as the only players in NBA history to average at least 30 points, 7.0 rebounds and 6.0 assists in a single season.

Now, he could be in line for even more record-setting numbers, these ones on his paycheck. How this affects other superstars around the league remains to be seen. Miami's Dwyane Wade and Denver's Carmelo Anthony also said they would agree to max contracts this past week. According to Smith, James discussed the deal he was planning to sign with those players.

Like James, the true value of their extensions won't be known until the NBA sets the 2007-08 salary cap in July of next year. James could be leading the league again ... in business acumen.

Information from ESPN.com's Marc Stein and the Associated Press was used in this report.
    Roth Army Canada

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah, I heard this today as well, and think it's supremely smart on his part. If he resigns with the Cavs, he'll make a shitload. If he doesn't, it will for sure be a sign and trade for a HUGE amount.

Smart move.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Not just smart for LeBron, but a nice subtle pressure ploy to keep the Cavs from sitting on their hands and keep improving the team.

He has money, he has fame ... sooner or later ... the ring is going to become paramount to his legacy. He cannot go without winning a championship in his career.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...it will be interesting...

David Robinson and Larry Hughes are not the same guy...lmfao...

the Cavs aren't far...but they aren't close either...

and I do think the Bulls next year at least, will be ahead of them, unless they do something interesting...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Here's the thing though...

the report doesn't seem to fit very well with reality...

According to the new collective bargaining agreement reached last year, contracts of fewer than five years cannot have opt-out clauses, referred to as ``early termination options.''

ESPN also reported that James' strategy would be tied to a new collective bargaining agreement in 2011. But the current agreement actually runs through 2012.

James' contract might indeed have an opt-out clause after the fourth year, meaning he could be a free agent in 2011.

So now it's interesting again...lmfao...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    "Talked with our boy Dennis as a party today and he said he has not been this excited for a squad in a long time. He said that if anyone asks you who your starting QB is you say with much confidence 'CHARLIE FRYE.' He said Charlie looks fantastic in practice and he has much confidence ih him. Winslow needs double teams during drills and is a monster waiting to eat prey. He was ridiculously psyched about the O-Line, the defense that Romeo is building, and what Savage is up to. Edwards is still rehabing and wil be for awhile.

It was heartening to hear a veteran starter feel excited about the team. Who knows what will happen, but always nice to start off on a positive and optimistic foot. Go Get 'Em Brownies!"

From a Browns Board.

http://www.browns247.com/forums/inde...showtopic=3694

Winslow? the guy we picked INSTEAD of Roethlisberger, He better be doing that shit, or else he'll be a huge bust.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Originally posted by ALinChainz
    Not just smart for LeBron, but a nice subtle pressure ploy to keep the Cavs from sitting on their hands and keep improving the team.

Dan Gilbert is no Gordon Gund...and even better, he's no Larry Dolan.

Gilbert has already shown he's not afraid to spend money. the Cavs plan to build a practice center in the 'burbs, and Gilbert has made a shitload of improvements to the arena (which is what, just over ten years old?)

guy wants to win, and he's going for it. he's Mark Cuban without the ego.
    Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    OK, Frye is the starter, but if he goes down, "fucked" is not a strong enough word to describe the Browns' situation.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Vinny Testeverde?

Be better off sticking with Dorsey.

Edwards' injury was much worse than I thought.

The Browns need some luck change.

Hey Poj, lots of those Michigan boys seem to play for the Steelers through the years. Or guys like the Bus, who was just born in Michigan.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Like Pojo said though ... a board monster and another marksman from 3.

In all honesty, I would have rather seen Wallace go to Cleveland than the Bulls.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    I agree 100% twona...I saw that article, and Gilbert is starting to turn heads around the league I think.

With Lebron in tow, two years.

Gilbert will do whatever it takes, and not hurt the team with a Cuban-like ego.

Gilbert may turn into the perfect owner, if he can get the title.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Tim Couch was getting interviewed for News Channel 5, He's not returning anytime soon, He did say the weirdest thing at the end of the clip "I love the Browns, I'm STILL a Browns Fan."

That is rather funny considering a lot of people are not to huge on him here.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    this just in....

Flip Murray is going to Detroit.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Yeah...I saw that earlier today...

and it looks like we are going to sign David Wesley...

Didn't he help kill former Cav Bobby Phills drag racing?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Sign and Trade to the Bulls?

Drew Gooden and Eric Snow or Damon Jones to the Bulls for Mike Sweetney and Ben Gordon (or Chris Duhon)...

might be a possibility.

Gooden wants 6 years and 60 million...which is fucking ridiculous. Fucking Denver fucks...signing fucking Nene...who played what...4 fucking games...to that deal...

fucking cunts...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Winslow has learned, is ready to move on Written by Terry Pluto, Ohio.com
    Tuesday, 01 August 2006
    BEREA - Two years later, Kellen Winslow wants to start over, and he's earning the chance to do just that.

Winslow made some young, dumb and dangerous decisions. You know the story, from his inflammatory, ego-driven comments at the University of Miami to his stormy holdout with the Browns to the motorcycle accident in the spring of 2005.

Part of the Winslow bravado is still there. He says his knee is ``90 percent'' back from multiple surgeries, but his 90 percent is still better than any other tight end.

``He told me that his hands are 99 percent,'' Browns quarterback Charlie Frye said.

Frye laughed and told Winslow that he wants to see it come game time. Prove it by catching everything thrown your way, seems to be Frye's challenge.

Understand that Frye and Winslow have bonded. They have spent hours in the weight room and have gone to events such as Cavaliers games.

It's a smart move for both of them.

Frye is a fierce worker, but says Winslow is even more determined: ``He does something every day. He had me in there on Saturday and Sunday, too.''

Winslow talked about how he had never heard of Frye.

``I'm from San Diego, went to Miami. He's from Akron. Like, who is this guy?''

Now, they are close. Real close. It's wonderful to see, the white quarterback from rural Willard, Ohio, and the black tight end from Southern California. Sports can fuel some of the most remarkable friendships.

``Charlie is awesome,'' Winslow said.

Winslow said he not only has given up motorcycles, but other off-the-field things that would put his career at risk. That has been Frye's approach for his entire life, because Frye always knew his edge was slight.

Frye knew Winslow needed a friend, especially after the motorcycle accident when the tight end ripped up his knee, bruised his liver and came very close to ending his career after a grand total of two pro games.

Fans were outraged; the team shocked and disappointed.

It seemed another indication that Winslow was arrogant and reckless, that he had little regard for the franchise that made him the No. 6 pick in the 2004 draft and one of the highest-paid players on the team.

Winslow remains a remarkable physical specimen, a 6-foot-4, 248-pound tight end quick enough to line up sometimes at wide receiver. He does have terrific hands, and the kind of speed that can take a 5-yard pass and turn it into a 20-yard gain.

``Kellen can be a wide receiver, he can be a tight end, he can be a defensive end,'' Frye said. ``He's that good of a player. He wants to show it more than ever, because everyone has doubted him. I think he'll have a breakout year.''

Frye and Winslow have moved into the same foxhole of dealing with doubters.

Frye is a 2005 third-round draft pick from the University of Akron with an arm questioned by some scouts. There are huge question marks about his ability to be a starting NFL quarterback.

``The thing about Charlie is nothing shakes him,'' said Winslow, and he considers that to be high praise.

As for Winslow, his injuries were serious. Only an athlete who is the son of a hall of fame tight end and who is physically blessed could come back from the knee and other problems.

The Browns have to be careful with Winslow, because the knee is still healing. Some days, it will be weaker than others.

He will need to be patient with himself, and Frye can help. Neither of these guys need to feel any more pressure. Both know they are in the center of the sometimes unforgiving spotlight of playing key positions for the Browns.

Both just want to get on with it.

As Winslow said, ``It's all hype right now... I'm sick of talking about what I'm going to do... (I'm) tired of hearing what potential I have.''

So are the fans. Now, it's time for everyone to actually see these guys play.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Do you guys want to hear something entirely Stupid.

Okay, Joe Thunder is such an idiot. He picked the Browns to Suck Because We picked Up Willie McGinest and Have RAC as a coach, Because they're Black . It's pretty amazing though, That Willie and RAC have a history together, and have one 3 Super Bowls together. Only a True Moron would say that having those two would be a step backwards for the browns. I think that RAC could get us in the playoffs in at leat 2 years, And Willie will help out our LB's.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...not a great year...

still waiting on that Tribe run...

only this time with no playoffs at stake...

anyways...Hafner hit his 6th Granny today...tying Mattingly for the record in one year...

similar players...hafner with more power though...

I'm hoping he can pass him later this year...

something to hang your hat on anyways...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    They swept the Royals...which is nothing big...except when you consider the fact that until this sweep...KC was leading them this season...

sad really...but who knows...

perhaps Cleveland can get back to .500...

and be ready for next year...

all major players on the team are signed long-term...

and would like to see them get another strong arm.

Of course...now they need a closer as well...

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_...ts/5608.0.html

Browns acquire CB Derrick Strait
    By Jeff Walcoff, Staff Writer
    August 14, 2006

Lee Suggs was traded to the New York Jets Monday.

Photo By John H. Reid III
    On Aug. 14, the Browns acquired third-year cornerback Derrick Strait from the New York Jets in exchange for fourth-year running back Lee Suggs, filling a need for both teams.

The trade came four days after starting cornerback Gary Baxter was sidelined by a right shoulder injury during the team's preseason opener in Philadelphia. The setback is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the preseason. Daylon McCutcheon, who was competing with Leigh Bodden for the team's other starting role, is also out for several weeks while he recovers from a knee surgery he had on Aug. 1.

The Jets, meanwhile, are without all-time leading rusher Curtis Martin, who is fighting a knee injury.

Strait (5-feet-11, 189 pounds) was a third-round draft pick (76th overall) by the Jets in 2004. He played in all 16 games last season with two starts, marking 31 tackles and a pair of pass breakups. During his rookie season of 2004, he played in 5 games (he missed 7 due to an ankle injury) and managed 5 tackles. He also has totaled 17 special teams tackles during his career.

When healthy, Suggs (6-0, 213) cwas productive for the Browns. He rushed for 186 yards on 26 carries and 2 scores during a win over Cincinnati on Dec. 28, 2003. But he battled numerous injuries during his tenure with the team. He missed all but the final 7 games of his rookie season recovering from shoulder surgery. He played in 10 games with 3 starts in '04 mounting career highs with 199 carries for 744 yards, but then had an injury-plagued '05 season when he played in 8 games and rushed just 8 times for 15 yards. Suggs had been competing for the starting running back job during '04 camp before a left ankle injury kept him out of practice and allowed the job to be earned by now-starter Reuben Droughns.

Strait and Suggs were both collegiate stars. Strait won the Jim Thorpe Award (nation's best defensive back) and the Nagurski Award (nation's top defensive player) as a senior at Oklahoma and also holds the Sooners' record for career starts with 53.

Suggs was an All-America selection who led Division I-A in scoring as a senior. He rushed for 2,767 yards on 535 carries. Suggs is the Big East's all-time rushing touchdowns leader with 53.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Derrick Strait
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Derrick Strait (born August 27, 1980) is an NFL cornerback with the Cleveland Browns.

Strait was selected with the 13th pick in the 3rd round of the 2004 NFL Draft by the New York Jets. After spending two seasons primarily as a backup defensive back, Straight was traded to Cleavland on August 14, 2006 for running back Lee Suggs.

Playing his collegiate football at the University of Oklahoma, Derrick was a 2 time All-American, recipient of the Bronko Nagurski Trophy , and the Jim Thorpe Award his Junior season. He holds the Sooners record with five fumble recoveries in a single season.

Strait attended Lanier High School in Austin Texas.

* Born: August 27, 1980 Austin, TX
    * Height: 5-11
    * Weight: 189 lbs.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    He sounds good, It looks like we made out like thieves, Since Suggs gets hurt all the time.

Though I would've rather gotten a Center, The idea of another addition to our D, is great.

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Frye's competitiveness key to success

BEREA, Ohio -- Goaded into participating in the long-drive competition at a charity golf tournament in the spring of 2005, Charlie Frye decided to muscle up for any of the good-natured hecklers who had questioned his strength. Paid to endorse Nike products, the then-rookie quarterback grabbed the company's new Ignite driver from his bag, ripped a monumental shot of nearly 340 yards, and took home the trophy.

Inside Browns camp
    BrownsHow is the health of Kellen Winslow Jr. and Braylon Edwards? Can the Browns overcome their offensive line issues? Those are just two of the things Len Pasquarelli touches on in his observations from Browns camp.
    • Inside Browns camp
    "Yeah, I can hit 'em long," Frye said with a laugh after Wednesday afternoon's training camp practice here. "When I hit 'em straight."

The Cleveland Browns don't necessarily need the second-year quarterback to throw 'em all that long in 2006. But if the Browns are to improve on a 2005 performance in which their offense ranked 26th in the NFL overall and their passing game was 23rd, and are to close the gap on the AFC North's tag-team bullies, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, they definitely need Charlie Frye to throw 'em straight.

Because with the trade that sent Trent Dilfer to San Francisco after only one year with the Browns, and a dubious depth chart that features four other quarterbacks who have started a total of 10 games in the NFL, Frye might be the only guy capable of throwing 'em, period.

It has been noted in Cleveland, ad nauseam, in fact, that the Browns' football brain trust has leaped out of the fire and into the Frye-pan with its decision to hand the reins to the former University of Akron star, a local kid who grew up with a picture of former Browns star quarterback Bernie Kosar taped to his bedroom wall. There is, for sure, considerable heat, given that this storied franchise has posted one playoff season since its reincarnation in 1999 and has lacked stability at the game's highest profile position.

What is clear, however, is that Frye -- who has replaced the poster of Kosar with a list of personal and team goals that he taped to the bedroom wall of the suburban Cleveland home he recently purchased -- isn't exactly fazed by the crucible. When the anxious fans turn up the heat, Frye turns up the good ol' boy veneer, shrugs off the pressure, and keeps preparing for his first professional season as the full-time starter.

"I really can't let someone else's expectations affect what I do," said Frye, a third-round choice in the '05 draft who won two of five starts as a rookie. "I've got enough [expectations] of my own, and enough for this team, to worry about right now. I set goals every season, so this year is no different. Now it's up to me to go after them."

Those goals, at least for now, remain confidential, shared between Frye and his bedroom wall. But that's part of the mystery of Frye, a young player who somehow manages to exude confidence while at the same time exhibiting a kind of heartland homespun mien that is both engaging and disarming and seemingly devoid of sophistication.

Fantasy take
    Eric Karabell
    Where's the love for Reuben Droughns? While he didn't match his Broncos success, mainly in scoring, Droughns was a very consistent fantasy performer in 2005, rushing for at least 70 yards in 10 games. There's value in knowing you'll get something from a running back each week, even if you seldom get that monster game. Droughns is a safe No. 2 running back in fantasy.
    -- Eric Karabell

• Play ESPN fantasy football!
    • Check out ESPN's draft kit
    When he began working out with rehabilitating tight end Kellen Winslow this spring, and was introduced to some new methodologies, Frye had never even heard of Pilates.

"I knew yoga and stuff, but some of the things Kellen was doing … hey, they were totally foreign to me," Frye said.

The lack of pretense from Frye, insist teammates, is not feigned. But neither is he a shrinking violet in the huddle, or if a receiver blows a route adjustment or hot-read, and he wants the people surrounding him to recognize who's in charge. He may be callow but there have been times, even as a rookie last year, when Frye was also callous.

Said one veteran offensive player: "If you don't know him, he may come off as a hayseed, OK, but trust me, he knows the score."

Whether he can play well enough in 2006 to put up some winning scores for a club that has averaged 5.1 victories since 1999, when the Browns were reborn after owner Art Modell defected to Baltimore with the original franchise, remains to be seen. In seven appearances as a rookie, Frye completed 98 of 164 passes for 1,002 yards, with four touchdown passes and five interceptions, and a 72.8 efficiency rating.

There were times when Frye was very good, and stretches in which he struggled mightily, but he was never completely overwhelmed. That might be because Frye is a gamer, an admirable trait sometimes difficult to discern, but evidenced even in Wednesday's practice.

Frye doesn't have great stopwatch speed, but is resourceful enough to have some "escapability" dimension. He isn't possessed of the strongest arm, and he'll throw some flutter balls, but the passes usually arrive on time. And there is a competitive bent, likely born of his background in the Mid-American Conference, that he seems to share with some of its other recently notable products.

The MAC in recent years has delivered Chad Pennington, Byron Leftwich and Ben Roethlisberger, among others, to the NFL. Not bad -- one passing champion and one Super Bowl champion -- from what was once considered to be a nettlesome but still stepsister conference. It has also delivered a subset of quarterbacks hungry to prove themselves to the world outside the MAC's still-limited sphere of influence.

"If you look, probably none of those guys was recruited by Big Ten schools, either," said Frye, who exited Willard (Ohio) High School holding 17 career records. "At Akron, we could upset some bigger team, and I knew that when I opened the Sunday newspaper, it was going to be Ohio State on the front, no matter what they had done, and we'd be buried on some inside page. So, definitely, you develop a little bit of a chip on your shoulder. And to tell you the truth, I always want that chip to be there, just as long as it doesn't get too big. That's a motivator for me. It's part of who I am."

What the Browns want Frye to be is a quarterback who doesn't feel he has to be too much, in fact, for them to be successful. The rationale of general manager Phil Savage when he selected Frye with the 67th pick in the 2005 draft was that he was taking a player around whom, not on whom, he might build a winning team.

"We are going down a path with Charlie, and we are trying to build a team around him, rather than through him. Now, obviously, there are going to be times in games when we are going to need him to make plays for us. We think he's capable of doing that."
    Phil Savage, Browns general manager

Frye, who turns 25 on Aug. 28, is certainly central to the success of the offense, but that doesn't mean he has to be the epicenter of everything Cleveland is attempting to accomplish.

The Browns went with the big-name quarterback philosophy in the past, most notably when they selected Tim Couch with the top overall pick in the 1999 draft, and did not want to mortgage the future this time around in trying to identify a candidate to groom as their long-term starter. Savage conceded that Frye is not a "silver-platter quarterback" and acknowledges his somewhat modest physical talents, but liked the fact the youngster had "earned his way" and loved his competitiveness.

"We are going down a path with Charlie, and we are trying to build a team around him, rather than through him," Savage said. "Now, obviously, there are going to be times in games when we are going to need him to make plays for us. We think he's capable of doing that."

He'd better be, because the trade of Dilfer, who privately chafed after losing his starting job to Frye last season, has left the Browns with little else. There is no veteran mentor, no fallback guy Cleveland coaches can turn to, no grizzled veteran on the roster Frye can turn to for counsel in the rough times.

There is, though, the work ethic that Frye learned from Dilfer during their long tutorials last year. The two would sit for two or three hours watching tape and, when Frye's attention wandered at times ("I would be watching, you know, how Peyton Manning threw the ball instead of what the coverage was," he said), the veteran would refocus him. Those lessons on game preparation, on knowing every facet of the offense, on working harder than everyone else around you, Frye said, have stuck with him.

"This spring, I worked harder than ever at being a good quarterback, not just a good player," Frye said. "I mean, even had Trent been here, I would have considered this my team. I didn't want guys coming to me with questions about the offense, and me not being able to answer them. I'm still not sure I've got all of the answers yet, but I know that, from my own standpoint, I sure don't have as many questions now."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...len&id=2553492

Fear the Elf
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Frye's a Good Kid, I'm mixed about him though, Like I don't entirely trust he's our future QB and all. I do like the fact that he was Always a browns fan and grew up on Bernie, that could be a good sign..

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Nice role player pick up for the Cavs in Pollard...

curious trade though...I'm not sure about Bradsen...but he must have some upside if you deal a 7' 2" athletic project...

we shall see...

Cavs sign Pollard, send Andriuskevicius to Bulls
    Aug. 18, 2006
    CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CLEVELAND -- Scot Pollard promises to lead the Cleveland Cavaliers in bruises and floor burns.

"I'm not a pretty player," he said. "I go in there and do the dirty work. I dive on the floor. I take charges. I set screens. I do a lot of things guys don't like doing. I found my niche and I'm sticking with it."

Advertisement

Pollard, a free agent known as much for his ever-changing hair and sideburn styles, signed a one-year contract with the Cavaliers, who also traded center Martynas Andriuskevicius to the Chicago Bulls for guard Eddie Basden on Friday.

Financial terms were not available.

Pollard averaged 3.8 points and 4.8 rebounds in 45 games -- 32 starts -- last season for the Indiana Pacers, his third NBA team. The 6-foot-11, 265-pound Pollard will give the Cavs more inside muscle and can provide needed energy along with Anderson Varejao, Cleveland's mop-topped Brazilian.

"I'm a piece to a championship puzzle," Pollard said from his home in Indianapolis.

He has worn his hair in a variety of ways during his NBA career. This summer, he went for a new look.

"I cut all my hair off," he said. "I got tired of taking care of it. Right now, it's a summer cut, but who knows what I might have by the time the season gets here."

Pollard, 31, has made 460 career starts and appeared in 57 playoff games since being drafted by Detroit in the first round (19th overall) in 1997.

"Adding Scot to our roster gives us more depth, size, toughness and experience," Cavaliers general manager Danny Ferry said. "We believe Scot can be a valuable contributor to our team as we continue to build a championship-level team here in Cleveland."

Pollard played 33 games with the Pistons before being dealt to Atlanta for Christian Laettner. After being waived the Hawks, Pollard signed as a free agent with Sacramento and spent six seasons with the Kings.

He was traded to the Pacers in a three-team deal in 2003. In Indiana, Pollard felt restricted as the Pacers played a slower brand of ball than he was used to with the Kings. He's looking forward to the chance to get out and run with LeBron James and the Cavs.

"This is definitely a team on the upswing," he said. "We've got a chance to be one of the top two or three teams in the East, and we have a legitimate chance to get out of the East."

Andriuskevicius was a project for the Cavaliers, who acquired the 7-foot-2 Lithuanian last year from Orlando for a second-round draft pick and cash. He played just nine minutes in six games for Cleveland, spending most of the season in the Development League.

"Marty is a young and talented kid and he made good strides during the past year, but ultimately this trade puts us in a more flexible position with our roster," Ferry said.

Basden, 23, played in 19 games for the Bulls last season, averaging 2.1 points, 1.5 rebounds.

AP NEWS
    The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2005-2006, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    @
    Status
    Well...Cleveland has won 18 of 23...

to bad they couldn't have started this way...

hopefully...they'll get over .500...at least something to build on for next year I guess...

they are getting better pitching...

finally have found a closer...

and are actually playing defense...

what they need is a horse to start...someone they can count on from day 1...

CC is great...but not that guy...

Thread Information