Today @ 01:24 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,609 Posts

Pojo, you'll like this:

Let go of ghosts past - bring Mesa back to town
    Tuesday, June 29, 2004
    Bud Shaw, PD Columnist

Wrongful death claims in some states carry a statute of limitations of less than seven years.

What is it for crimes against the Cleveland sports fan?

Hold on. I have the book right here. Let's see. Looks like 77 years. Wait, no. It's 777. It might be time to repeal that law.

There is one move Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro could make to improve the Indians that would be bolder public relationswise than trading Roberto Alomar or Bartolo Colon.

Trade for Jose Mesa.

Sorry, not so he could be placed in a pillory in Public Square. Trade for him so that he can close games the way he is closing games in Pittsburgh, the way games are not being closed here. Regularly.

"If I thought he could help us, I wouldn't hesitate," Shapiro said Monday before leaving to look at players in Buffalo. "Whether or not the history here would [have an impact] on his ability to perform would just be one ingredient in the equation."

What you have to like about Shapiro is that he tackles trouble head on. He hasn't decided anything substantial about any closer who might become available. He wants to see about Bob Wickman first and take a look at Bobby Howry, too.

Wickman has had three rehabilitation outings. Shapiro says his fastball has held steady around 91 mph, but it's still spring training for him.

In another three weeks, more non-contending teams like the 29-43 Pirates will be shopping players. Pittsburgh was 15½ games behind St. Louis before playing the Cardinals on Monday night. Save situations for Mesa have been like trying to find buried treasure.

A scoreless ninth against the Reds on Saturday gave Mesa his 17th consecutive save, a Pirates' record. It left him perfect for the season, despite having reason to be as rusty as an old swing set. It was only his fourth opportunity in Pittsburgh's previous 32 games.

Yes, yes. I know what you're thinking. That's Pittsburgh. Here, he would be haunted by the 1997 World Series and the boos that chased him out of town the following season.

Speak for yourself. You may be haunted by all that, but Mesa is far removed from it. That was long before you saw how queasy David Riske and Jose Jimenez have looked in the role.

If it comes down to that Jose or this Jose, Mesa would have to be carried trembling to the mound in a basket not to qualify as an improvement. He's the Jose who has allowed a run in just four of his 30 appearances.

"If he blew a save here, they'd boo," Shapiro said. "If he got the save, they'd cheer."

The questions for Shapiro are far more pragmatic, as they must be. To trade for any closer, it's all about the cost. Money isn't an issue in Mesa's case. With him, it's what the Indians would have to give up to rent a 38-year-old for a few months.

Acquiring Mesa would demand one obvious adjustment. When an infielder comes to the mound to settle Mesa down, manager Eric Wedge might want to have somebody other than Mesa's archenemy Omar Vizquel do the visitation.

"Players want to win," Shapiro said, not specifically mentioning the Vizquel-Mesa relationship. "If they feel a player can help the team do that, that's what matters."

In a town that cheered John Rocker before he made it painfully clear he couldn't pitch, it should be easy to justify a second chance for Mesa if it comes to that.

There would be no justifiable reason in 2004, certainly, to make Mesa feel like Michael Moore at a Republican fund-raiser.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-28-2024 @ 04:08 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Jesus...Mesa back in town...

holy hell...

the scary thing...compared to what we got...I'd probably welcome it...

but you know...it would blow up in their face...and christ...the Pirates always ask for to much...

remember the Rincon for Giles deal? Fuck that...let them keep Mesa...
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-11-2008 @ 02:07 PM
    Status
    Thanks

The Cleveland Cavaliers Chatter

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, July 8, 2004

News

ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting that free agent forward Carlos Boozer—who reportedly committed verbally to resigning in Cleveland—has reneged on that agreement and signed with the Utah Jazz for $68 million over six years. The Cavs recently relinquished their rights to Boozer for next season, in which they would have paid him the league-minimum $695,000, on the faith that he would not explore free agency. The parties had arranged to compensate Boozer with the full midlevel exception, which would have paid the third-year power forward approximately $40 million over six years. Boozer averaged 15.5 points and 11.7 rebounds per game last season.

Views

Apparently, Boozer and his agent were blown away by the sums of cash being doled out for middling talent like Adonal Foyle and Rafer Alston and decided they couldn't pass up what amounts to an extra $28 million. Because Boozer is a restricted free agent, Cleveland in theory will have the opportunity to match this offer from Utah, but the full midlevel exception is the best they can do. Boozer had a huge fantasy season in 2003 and certainly emerged as a productive complement to LeBron James. However, his challenge in Utah will be to maintain those numbers despite a deeper team with more offensive weapons. His rebounding totals should hold steady, but we're not optimistic about his scoring potential.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

This is total fucking Bullshit...

stupid for Cleveland for allowing him to go out there like that...

and stupid for the NBA to let middling players like Boozer to sign outlandish deals like this...and their bargaining agreement is up at the end of the next year...

I smell a strike and/or lockout...

fuck them all...

Lou
    HUGE fucking loss for Cleveland. HUGE. That really sets them a step back no doubt. Bad mistake letting him go, Boozer is one hell of a player.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Maybe they'll go after Kenyon Martin...who knows what the fuck they'll do...

trashy thing for a player to do to get out of his contract...

and a stupid thing for the Cavs to do...here the guy tells them he'll resign...and bam...what a bitch...

figures...he's from Duke...

here's a report on the matter...dead on...:

remember talking with Boozer in January about his long-term plans. He acknowledged there was a chance he could leave the Cavs in the off-season, but the possibility seemed remote. All the Cavs had to do was pick up the team option it held on Boozer for next season at less than $700,000, then sign Boozer to a long-term deal in 2005. It seemed Boozer would be teamed with guard LeBron James for a long time in Cleveland. "In the future, that is going to be the program for the Cavs," Boozer said. "LeBron is establishing himself as one of the best young guys in the league, and I am trying to do the same thing — establish myself as one of the best young power forwards.:

Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

Boozer did that with his breakout performance last season. Then, this summer, Boozer and the Cavs explored a different possibility — they could toss out the team option for 2004-05 altogether, make Boozer a restricted free agent, then re-sign him to a six-year deal in the $40 million range. That way, Boozer could start collecting on a big contract earlier, and the Cavs would have one of their rising stars locked up. Boozer, according to a statement from Cavs owner Gordon Gund and general manager Jim Paxson, verbally agreed to this.

So, when the Cavaliers had the opportunity to exercise their one-year, $700,000 option on Boozer's deal early last week, they declined, making Boozer a restricted free agent. That was not a problem, because he had agreed to re-sign with the team.

Until this weekend, that is.

With Boozer a free agent, Denver began to show interest. Utah, sensing an opportunity and sensing pressure to finally spend some of its cap money, came up with the extremely generous offer of just under $70 million. Boozer had made a verbal commitment to the Cavs, but the Jazz were bettering Cleveland's offer by almost $30 million. Essentially, Boozer had to choose which was more important — his word or his bank account. He chose bank account.

To be fair, the Cavs would have gotten a bargain by signing Boozer for $40 million, and Boozer did nothing wrong by NBA rules. He got the most money he could, which is something most employees would do. But the fact is, he lied to the Cavs, the team that gave him a shot in the second round of the draft, the team that inserted him in the starting lineup and allowed him to shine, the team that was trying to do the right thing by him. Boozer and his agent, Rob Pelinka, double-crossed the Cavs by getting them to allow him out of his contract, then bolting for bigger money when the Cavs could have had him another year for minimum-contract money.

Paxson bungled this, and could get fired. But he shouldn't, not for this (there may be other reasons to fire Paxson, but that's another column). As far as Boozer goes, Paxson's only fault was that he trusted a guy who turned out to be a liar. According to the statement, Gund seemed to trust Boozer as much as Paxson did — if the owner was gullible enough to be duped by Boozer, then he probably won't fire his GM because he was duped, too. "Our actions," the joint statement read, "have been based on what Carlos told us he wanted."

But, if the Cavaliers are to be believed, Carlos is a liar, which is what makes this a really crummy story. The Cavaliers look bad for flubbing the situation. Pelinka and Boozer — Benedict Boozer, as folks in Cleveland will come to know him — come out with an air of scum around them. And fans … well, I would not blame fans for being a little less enthusiastic about the NBA next year because of this.

The Jazz, of course, are the only entity to come out of all this with its reputation intact, having landed a top-notch power forward, adding to a huge off-season for the team. It now has Boozer to go with its frontcourt of center Mehmet Okur (assuming Detroit allows him to leave) and forward Andrei Kirilenko. Utah, which drafted Kris Humphries and Kirk Snyder, could now look to deal Matt Harpring.

For Utah, then, this is good. For everyone else, this is just bad.

fuckin' piece of shit...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

People wonder why the NBA is looked at as a classless establishment...this is fucking why...

The Cavs are fucking morons for taking any of these scumbags at their word...

shame on them...

The NBA can goto hell...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hear what you're saying. We wouldn't be able to keep Okur and sign Rasheed to what he's going to want.

But what DO you say what is almost an extra $30 million?

Cavs need to step up the offer now if they want to keep him, and who knows what you pay whoever they think can replace him?

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

They can't afford it without dumping players to keep him...

fuck him dude...he's a piece of shit...

it's a step back...but pretty soon...players will be clangin' to play in Cleveland...if they keep LeBron...

fuckin' douchebag...what a piece of shit...

have him wrapped up at 700 G's...

tell him, "Okay douchebag...we can get you more money a year earlier...if you agree to sign with us. We'll let you out of your contract this year, and sign you to a 40 million dollar deal..."

The guy says yes...then doesn an interview on the first saying he won't go anywhere but Cleveland no matter what they offer...

lmfao...

you can't trust anyone...

fuck him...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I hope Utah fucking rots...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Putting together a good team out there, albeit slowly.

lol ... but they can rot. No problem with that.

Like the article said though, Foyle and Alston getting deals like they've gotten, Boozer would have to at least listen, take advantage of the current free agent system.

I agree with you, I think there will be labor strife and the league is going to want to look at an age limit, similar to the NFL.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...a couple of things here...

You have to think that both Cleveland and Boozer knew that these offers were going to come...and that they were addressed...

Bro...I'm not doubting that in the least...of course they had to listen...

and if the Cavs didn't address this...like I said...shame on them...

but without the Cavs letting him out of the contract to begin with...

I don't know man...if Boozer comes out of this looking good in the media after flat out lying to get out of his contract...

30 million is a lot of cash to fucking pass up...but when you put it all together...

it's still shitty...

and the Union would just as soon dissipate the NBA then to let their punk bitches have to stay in school an extra year or two...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Coach K had a good quote here the other day...

interview: Coach...will you staying in the college ranks give you a bigger voice in the talks between the NCAA and the NBA to institute an age limit?

Coach K: Sure...it'll make my voice louder...there just won't be anyone listening...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh it's big time shitty.

Okur average almost 10 a game in varying playing time, is nearly 7'0 and is 25.

I'll hate the world if Rasheed was just putting us on for a contract.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...don't get me wrong here...I know the Pistons were in a shitty position...

but...

Okur didn't get out of an existing contract by saying he'd resign...

then not resign...

I can't wait until that fucker comes back to play in Cleveland...guaranteed sell out...

put him up there with Modell and Elway and Manny and Thome into the Pantheon of fuckheads...in Cleveland Sports History...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Oh I know it ain't the same fucking Cleveland got.

Just I'm also coming from the "I hate to lose a good, young player" standpoint.

And being from Michigan, I'm putting aside my opinions on Cleveland for the sake of discussion.

lol ...
    Last edited by ALinChainz; 07-09-2004 at 01:21 AM.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

LMFAO...

well...

Paxson should be murdered...unbelievable fuckup...unbelievable...

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Must be why Ainge thinks he can do it also.

Well, he can fuck up to ... mission accomplished.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Ainge...man...thank god for him...he can make any GM look good...

he'll be gone after this year...when they Deal Pierce for a crack pipe...a case of shasta...and a 6 pack of velveeta slices...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    Paxson should be murdered...unbelievable fuckup...unbelievable...
    yeah. all the stations interviewed a bunch of fans on the news, and they were calling for Paxson's head.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

It's hard to fault the guy for taking 30 million...but damn...

Hey...are they saying anything Twona...

1. Who they'd sign if they go after someone to replace him...

2. Who they'd let go if they kept him...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

nothing on 1, and supposedly have to let a lot of guys go to keep him. they said the Utah offer is really front-loaded and it would be hard for the Cavs to do anything.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

The Cavs issued a brief statement after hearing of the potential deal with Utah.

"Our actions have been based upon what Carlos told us he wanted. This was also entirely consistent with his public statements in the media July 1,'' said the statement from general manager Jim Paxson and owner Gordon Gund. "We are both very surprised and very disappointed by what is now being reported.''

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Yeah...I saw all that shit...

fucking Utah frontloads the deal to make it near impossible for the Cavs to match...

outstanding...

no wonder the fucking NBA blows...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

it's still early, probably won't hear anything really good for a couple days.

and Wagner misses the first day of summer workouts Saturday morning...but made it Saturday night...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...the offer sheet doesn't officially go into effect until next Wednesday right?...so we have 20 days for the Cavs to figure shit out...

Boozer isn't worth 68 million dollars...and they better not fucking match that...it's ridiculous...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Wagner...christ...injury prone...and now late...lmfao...

welcome to the bench...again...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

yeah, and Silas is trying to turn Wagner into a point guard...

It didn't take long for Dajuan Wagner to put a damper on what otherwise was a glorious summer day for Cavaliers coach Paul Silas.

Wagner was a no-show for Saturday morning's initial summer-camp workout at Gund Arena.

"It bothers me that he's not here," said Silas, looking stern. "He should be here.

"He needs this."

Wagner, who showed up for Saturday's evening workout that was closed to the media, is needed because he's the subject of the Cavaliers' grand summer experiment.

Silas and the team's coaching staff want Wagner, a 6-2 natural shooting guard, to learn point-guard skills and mentality.

Summer camp, and summer leagues, is where these skills are best taught and carried out.

Not on the fly during the regular season.

Wagner, 21, scored points with the Cavaliers' front office by committing to take part in the summer workouts and the subsequent summer leagues in Orlando, Fla., and Las Vegas,

He lost points by not joining 15 others for Saturday's first workout.

"It will take a total commitment from him to do this," Silas said. "If he can't make it, we'll have to look at this situation closely."

Translated: The Cavaliers will actively seek to trade Wagner, a first-round pick (sixth overall) in 2002.

With LeBron James and Jeff McInnis getting the bulk of the shooting guard and point guard minutes respectively, Wagner can give himself the opportunity for more time on the court as a multi-purpose guard.

But to do this, he must improve his point-guard skills and mentality.

"I could see Dajuan becoming a Mark Price kind of player," Silas said.

Price, a 5-11, 175-pounder when he played for the Cavaliers in the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s, had point-guard skills and mentality parlayed with a shooting guard's perimeter game.

In nine years with the Cavaliers, Price was a four-time All-Star and a first-team All-NBA selection in 1993.

"Mark Price," Silas said, "was a shooting threat who got his shots off in pick-and-roll situations.

"He was also someone who could bring it up the court and get a team in its offense."

In two injury-riddled seasons with the Cavaliers, Wagner has bounced between both guard spots - averaging 10.1 points and shooting 37 percent from the field playing 91 of a possible 162 games.

"Playing the point is more mental than physical," Silas said. "It's understanding how to get others' game off. It's understanding how to get your game off.

"If you haven't done it, it's hard to learn."

Silas said that he's convinced Wagner can pull this off - turn himself into a multidimensional guard.

"Dajuan has extraordinary talent," Silas said. "If anyone can do this, he can."

Silas paused, and smiled. "Having said all that," he added, "the [expletive] should have been here."

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

i wanna know what the expletive was!

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

lmfao...

"fucker"

"cocksucker"

"bastard"

"bitch"

"dickhead"

"alloftheabove"

I wouldn't want to piss off Silas...but that's just me...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Chripes...

this is what the Cavs will have to choose from...

it may be a long season...

Some of the other unrestricted power forwards the Cavs might give a look include Samaki Walker, Robert Traylor, Rodney Rogers, Brian Cardinal, Keon Clark and Mamadou N'diaye.

Antonio McDyess is also an unrestricted free agent, but he would probably demand more than the Cavs' available midlevel money.

and some guy named Al Long...

Good Lord...they should have went after McDyess...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Bill Livingston

Paxson should pay for Boozer blunder

Saturday, July 10, 2004

For all the dissembling of the player involved, the Carlos Boozer Affair still goes on Cavaliers General Manager Jim Paxson's record as the most colossally boneheaded move since Fred Merkle and the most ridiculous personnel flub since Ted Stepien.

What is it about "free agent" that Paxson didn't understand?

His greatest triumph, outside the Ping Pong Ball Miracle that delivered LeBron James - and you or I could have picked James No. 1 - was sleuthing out Boozer in the second round. Now, Paxson has either (a) fumbled him away to Utah or (b) forced the team to overpay Boozer grossly just to keep him, in a re-run of the John "Hot Rod" Williams scenario in the early '90s. If it's (b), it not only means years of being strapped on the salary cap, just as were Wayne Embry's Cavs by Williams, but also bulldozing the roster of a promising young team just to clear the money to allow the Cavs to match Boozer's Utah offer.

You have to wonder if (c) isn't out there, too. To wit, how in the world can James - potentially the greatest star in the history of Cleveland sports - possibly want to spend his career in a cockamamie organization that takes part in such a prolonged seltzer squirt?

Spare me the laments that Boozer broke the bond that supposedly exists between fans and jocks. Fans are free to indulge any loyalist fantasies they wish. It's a perk of being a fan. A professional sports GM ought to be a little wiser than that. It is probably best that a GM treat anything an agent or a player says with enough salt to cure a whole pig, not just the hams.

So the dimensions of this mistake cannot be understated.

It's not a team making a bad trade, although the Cavs (see Danny Ferry for Ron Harper) have a formidable body of work in that area. It's not a player walking away for more money, a big factor in the decline and fall of the 1990s Indians. This is losing a guy or putting yourself in a payroll bind for years because you let him become a free agent!

Why would anyone ever do such a stone-cold nonsensical thing? If the Cavs had re-upped Boozer for his third season, he'd still have been grossly underpaid and he would have been unhappy. His gravy train would have been sidetracked for another season, after which the Cavs would hold full "(Larry) Bird rights" to pay whatever it took over the cap to keep him.

A lot of serious problems needed to be resolved by Paxson in the coming season, although they were temporarily dimmed by the glow of James' rookie year. The team had three starters who were in the last year of their contracts - Jeff McInnis, Boozer and Zydrunas Ilgauskas, which is never a good thing. Guys play for numbers and contract leverage then, not for the team. Now, amazingly, Boozer, with Paxson's blessings, did it a year earlier than expected.

Boozer is calling all the shots. I thought he was somewhat overrated, because he plays the kind of defense in the paint that Chuck Wepner played in the ring. Still, on rebounding alone, he was valuable. Now the Cavs will have to overpay an overrated player even more. The only way they can do that is to try to package some of the dross Paxson drafted (DeSagana Diop), with some of his luckless guys (Dajuan Wagner) and a veteran with injury problems (Ilgauskas.)

Paxson has been the Teflon GM in Gordon Gund's feckless organization. But this should stick. This should be the magic word that makes him disappear.

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Cavs' options are meager if Boozer bolts

Saturday, July 10, 2004
    Branson Wright
    Plain Dealer Reporter
    Orlando, Fla.

Luke Jackson didn't have to wait long for the hard realities of professional sports to fall into his lap.

Minutes after the Cavaliers made Jackson the 10th overall pick in the NBA Draft, Jackson started to imagine playing on the same court with Zydrunas Ilgauskas, LeBron James and Carlos Boozer. Now that the Utah Jazz expects Boozer to sign an offer sheet worth $68 million over six years, two out of three isn't bad.

"I was looking forward to playing with [Boozer] because he's a guy that would help the team win a lot," Jackson said. "When you have the potential to lose a player like that, it's going to hurt."

It's especially painful for Jackson because he imagined so much success with Boozer as one of the leaders.

"I'm disappointed because you want the team to be the best and win as many games as you can. But to have a guy leave like that is something I'm not used to, especially since I'm coming right out of college."

Welcome to the NBA.

The Cavs, meanwhile, have options if they choose to not clear cap space and go after Boozer. Tony Battie would start at power forward, but the team would need to provide Battie some help by acquiring another power forward via trade or free agency.

Unfortunately for the Cavs, the free-agent pickings at power forward are slim.

That's one of the reasons Boozer was able to command so much from the Jazz, and why New Jersey's Kenyon Martin is in line to receive the maximum, about $80 million over six years.

The Cavs could use all or half of their exception, about $5 million, to sign an available replacement.

And the word is out.

Several players participating in the Orlando Pro Summer League want to apply for the Cavs' opening.

"I'm interested in any job because I just want to play," said power forward Art Long, a member of the Washington Wizards' summer team. "I'd love to play in Cleveland. I would fit in because I'm a 6-9 athletic guy who can run the floor and I can defend the three positions."

Some of the other unrestricted power forwards the Cavs might give a look include Samaki Walker, Robert Traylor, Rodney Rogers, Brian Cardinal, Keon Clark and Mamadou N'diaye.

Antonio McDyess is also an unrestricted free agent, but he would probably demand more than the Cavs' available midlevel money.

Dave's Towing
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Boozer $tory revolve$ around 1 i$$ue

By Brian Windhorst, Beacon Journal staff writer

CLEVELAND - On a sunny afternoon on June 30, Carlos Boozer and his party walked away from a meeting at Gund Arena believing he was going to be a Cleveland Cavalier for years to come.

On the sixth floor of the arena's executive offices, team owner Gordon Gund and general manager Jim Paxson believed they were on the verge of making a deal that would satisfy everyone, a rarity in today's NBA.

But somewhere between the goodwill of that day and last Thursday morning's phone call from Boozer's agent Rob Pelinka to Paxson, those good feelings went awry. Now Boozer seems to be headed to the Utah Jazz for lots more money, and even if the Cavaliers match the $68 million offer, they still appear to have made a costly, ill-advised decision.

Here is the story of how Boozer's contract situation turned into a national circus based on interviews with people inside and outside the Cavaliers organization, NBA general managers and players, agents and news media. Boozer and wife CeCe, reached by e-mail, declined to comment, and Pelinka did not return a telephone message Saturday.

The story began last summer after Boozer's very successful rookie season. He rose from second-round draft pick status and the end of coach John Lucas' bench to average 10 points and 7.5 rebounds and was named to the NBA's All-Rookie Team. The Cavaliers and Boozer were excited about his future.

Boozer, however, was not pleased with his contract. A year earlier, in August of 2002, after being impressed with him in summer league, the Cavaliers got Pelinka and Boozer to agree to a two-year guaranteed contract with an option for a third year. This was a rare deal for a second-round pick. Such players seldom receive long-term contracts but Boozer was given $989,000 over the first two years, including a $75,000 bonus for inserting a third-year option. In the third year, Boozer's salary would be $695,000 for the 2004-05 season.

Then, with Boozer's stock on the rise and the fact that a former second-round pick named Gilbert Arenas had just received a $65 million deal after his second season, Boozer's contract suddenly didn't seem so appealing.

Boozer's agent is employed by the sports management group SFX, founded by Arn Tellem. Pelinka asked last summer if the Cavaliers would consider what it would take to let Boozer out of the contract a year early.

During the 2003-04 season, in which Boozer averaged 15.5 points and 11.4 rebounds and finished second in the voting for the NBA's Most Improved Player Award, Boozer and his agent took their contract pleas public to several newspaper reporters.

In late April, after Boozer completed his breakout season, Pelinka brought it back to the Cavaliers' attention and both sides agreed to consider it in June. The parties met twice, once before the NBA's Pre-Draft Camp and once June 30.

Meeting time

On June 30, the principals gathered around a Fortune 500-style boardroom table at Gund Arena. Pelinka had flown in from Los Angeles. He sat on one side with Carlos and CeCe, a Duke graduate who has experience working for sports management giant IMG. Owner Gordon Gund flew in from his offices in Princeton, N.J., on his private jet. He joined Paxson and members of his staff on the other side of the table.

The meeting opened with Gund telling Boozer how valuable he was to the Cavaliers' franchise and their fan base. Gund was perhaps closer to Boozer than any other Cavaliers player. To Gund, players like Boozer and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas represented the transition the organization was trying to make. Each time Gund visited the Cavaliers during the season, either in Cleveland or at road games in Boston, New Jersey, New York or Philadelphia, he spent time talking with Boozer.

Paxson informed Pelinka and the Boozers that the Cavaliers were considering letting Boozer out of the option year. That decision had to be finalized by midnight that evening. Paxson explained to them that after losing Jason Kapono in the recent expansion draft and making a trade to acquire Sasha Pavlovic, the team's payroll would be $43,434,000 next season. That would put the Cavaliers within $3 million of the salary cap, expected to be announced next week.

Paxson said that if the Cavaliers allowed Boozer to become a free agent, the only thing the team could do was offer him something referred to as the maximum "Early Bird" contract. That would be a deal starting at $5 million that would increase 12.5 percent each year for six years, making it worth around $40 million. This was not a contract offer to Boozer, just an explanation of what the Cavaliers' salary cap constraint would be.

Paxson told Boozer that the team would not make any trades or other player moves to try and get drastically under the salary cap to attempt to offer more.

And, as a part of the goodwill gesture of not picking up the option, Boozer and Pelinka would have to calm the fan base by making public statements July 1 of his intention to return to the Cavaliers.

They would not be saying they had agreed to a deal, because that would be in violation of NBA rules because it came before July 1.

Pelinka had brought a copy of the NBA's collective bargaining agreement and referred to the contract rules and read from it several times.

The Cavaliers made it clear to Boozer that as many as seven other NBA teams could offer him more money and the team was taking a risk. Gund told Boozer he didn't want him to commit to a contract that he would regret signing a few years down the road.

The Cavaliers reminded him that by picking up the $695,000 option, the team would be able to sign him to a contract larger than the $40 million deal after the 2004-05 season because they would not be under NBA salary cap restraints.

But Carlos and CeCe, who only a few days earlier were looking at expensive houses in the affluent eastern Cleveland suburb of Bratenahl, said they wanted security now. They understood there was a limit, due to the league's salary cap rules, on what the Cavaliers could offer, but they wanted to remain in Cleveland.

Then Boozer and Gund spoke to each other. As they talked, they appeared to come to a trust they both thought would eventually lead to a deal.

Caucus time

At that time, the parties broke and had separate discussions. It was a tense 10-minute period that might be remembered as one of the most crucial moments in Cavaliers history that didn't take place on a basketball court.

Gund asked Paxson if he thought the Cavaliers could trust Boozer. Paxson pointed out that Pelinka was present when the Boozers said they knew it was possible to get a larger offer than the Cavaliers could put on the table after July 1 -- but they still preferred to stay in Cleveland. At that time, Paxson and Gund agreed to allow Boozer to become a restricted free agent if that was what he wanted.

The Boozers and Pelinka came back into the room and said they indeed wanted to be let out of the contract. They knew they could not make a deal on that day, but Pelinka said he was sure he could work out a deal with Paxson after July 1. Paxson promptly left the room and went to his office, where he had prepared a "qualifying offer," which is part of the procedure in making a player a restricted free agent. Under NBA rules, all qualifying offers have to be issued before July 1.

The meeting then broke up, midnight passed, and Carlos Boozer was no longer a Cavalier.

Crunch time

On July 1, the Cavaliers stunned the NBA by revealing they had not picked up Boozer's option. Boozer and Pelinka granted interviews to the Associated Press stating their preference to re-sign with the Cavaliers. But, in retrospect, they did not issue any guarantees.

"I want to be in Cleveland, I want to be with the Cavaliers," Boozer told the Associated Press. "Now it's up to my agent and the Cavs to work things out."

"Carlos and his wife, CeCe, made it clear to me that they are very comfortable with the Cavaliers organization," Pelinka told the AP. "I'm confident (Paxson) and I will continue to have conversations and we'll be able to work something out."

That afternoon, Utah Jazz owner Larry H. Miller made a previously scheduled phone call to a reporter in Salt Lake City. During the course of the conversation, the reporter asked Miller if the Jazz had any interest in Boozer. Until that moment, Miller didn't know the Cavaliers hadn't picked up Boozer's option. Miller told the reporter he was planning to call Jazz vice president Kevin O'Connor to have him look into Boozer's availability.

On July 2, Boozer disconnected a cell phone that the Cavaliers and media had been using to contact him.

On July 3, the Boozers were telling people that there was no deal with the Cavaliers in place.

Over the July 4th weekend, the Golden State Warriors came to an agreement with center Adonal Foyle on a five-year, $41.6 million contract, a deal worth more per year than what Boozer could sign for with the Cavaliers under NBA rules.

Also, the Jazz agreed to an offer sheet with Detroit Pistons forward Mehmet Okur for six years and nearly $50 million. Neither Okur nor Foyle are regarded as players as talented as Boozer and both were about to get richer deals.

The Boozers and Pelinka took notice. With contract values soaring, especially for big men, Boozer getting a six-year, $40 million deal with the Cavaliers would certainly be lower than his market value.

If the player signed for such a figure, it would affect the agent, too. Potential clients might be told that Boozer had signed what was perceived as a "bad contract." This was what the Cavaliers feared, that Boozer would be tempted to look elsewhere.

On Monday, July 5, Pelinka called Paxson and told him the Boozers had decided to test the market. He took calls from a number of teams and found interest in the Denver Nuggets and the Jazz. On Wednesday, July 7, the Jazz prepared their huge offer sheet.

To ensure they wouldn't lose Boozer, the Jazz wanted to "front-load" the offer, meaning they would pay a large salary in the first year to make it harder for the Cavaliers to try to match. The Jazz were scheduled to host free-agent forward Kenyon Martin in Salt Lake City on Thursday. But they canceled his visit.

Offer time

On Thursday morning, Paxson was in Portland, Ore., for the funeral of his wife's daughter-in-law. Pelinka called to say that Boozer planned to sign a six-year, $68 million offer sheet with the Jazz.

Coach Paul Silas got the message while with family in Oakland, Calif., gathering after the death of his mother, Clara.

Gund was on vacation with his family in Canada.

Upon hearing the news, he got in his jet and departed for Cleveland to deal with the situation.

During the day, Paxson took calls from Gund in his jet in between church and graveside ceremonies at the funeral. Later, they issued a statement expressing their shock and disappointment at the turn of events.

In the following hours, Cavaliers fans filled up reporters' e-mail boxes, expounded on Internet message boards and jammed sports talk-show phone lines as the shock trickled down.

Messages for Brian Windhorst can be left at 330-996-3819 or bwindhor@thebeaconjournal.com

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Adonal Foyle...

God I hope the NBA disbands...

Owners and agents ruined the game...

If the player signed for such a figure, it would affect the agent, too. Potential clients might be told that Boozer had signed what was perceived as a "bad contract." This was what the Cavaliers feared, that Boozer would be tempted to look elsewhere.
    Yeah...that's just great...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And the story gets even more interesting...

Boozer was the asshole in all of this...his agent has resigned...

In the wake of the controversy, a number of agents have claimed that they would resign if their client reneged on a verbal commitment.

"I'd resign immediately if a client wanted to renege on a deal, even a verbal one," one agent told Ford last week. "I still believe integrity in this business matters. If you agree on a deal, you have to live with, no matter what else happens. I personally believe that Boozer and his agent miscalculated a bit here. But I also understand what they did. Players want security. The Cavs can offer that. It just means he has to take less money to get it now. It's a tradeoff."

According to sources, SFX and Pelinka grew increasingly concerned in the aftermath of the agreement that Boozer's betrayal would sully the reputation of the agency and prevent them from conducting good faith negotiations with league owners in the future.

Wow...the agent gets him more money...then resigns before he can claim any of it...

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

and one more...

The source told The Salt Lake Tribune for Sunday's editions that Boozer has been surprised and hurt by the intensity of the negative reaction for Boozer's move.

The sentiment on Boozer in the Cleveland area is largely that he is a "backstabbing, double-crossing, money-grubbing Judas," according to the Tribune. Yet, the source told the paper that Boozer contends he did nothing wrong and had been careful not to commit or promise anything to the Cavaliers.

The discrepancy in Boozer's and the Cavs' take on the existence of a gentlemen's agreement hinges on public statements made by Boozer in an interview with The Associated Press on July 1 -- the day Boozer became a free agent when the Cavaliers did not exercise an option in his contract.

At the time, Boozer expressed an intention to re-sign in Cleveland for the team's full mid-level exception -- approximately six years and $40 million. And so, the Cavaliers say, they did not pick up the option.

"Our actions have been based upon what Carlos told us he wanted," the Cavaliers said in a statement Thursday by owner Gordon Gund and general manager Jim Paxson.

"We are both very surprised and very disappointed."

But, according to the Tribune's source, Boozer did not agree to anything -- both because of NBA rules and his own bargaining position.

"He actually pulled out the collective bargaining agreement," the source told the paper, and noted the clauses prohibiting "undisclosed agreements."

The source, who had knowledge of a June 30 meeting in which the Cavs contend Boozer verbally agreed to re-sign, told the Tribune that Boozer "did tell the Cavs that [he] wanted to be in Cleveland & but did not make a commitment or a promise."

Now, the Cavs are almost certain to lose Boozer. The Cavs have the right to match the Utah offer, but they would have to trade and/or renounce the rights to a number of players to clear enough room to do so.

And Boozer, who just a few weeks ago publicly declared his happiness in Cleveland, is reportedly expressing good feelings about his agreement with the Jazz.

The source told the Tribune that Boozer and his wife, CeCe, "are excited that [Jazz GM] Kevin O'Connor is giving them this opportunity," and look forward to moving to Utah.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

And even more intriguing...

amidst the Utah offer...and now Boozer agent canning HIM...

the Cavs have made an interesting under-the-radar move to keep Boozer...

they've offered him a 1 year deal for 5 million...

under this deal...the Cavs could then offer him a monster deal next year...making the Utah deal look imbecilic...

What a fucking mess this is...

Funny...BOOZER's taking the heat from NBA execs...the fans...his own agents...

when the real imbecile...is Paxson...and Gund...

interesting...

formerly F A T
    King Of Smut
    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
    when the real imbecile...is Paxson...and Gund...

Poj, we've been watchin' this for YEARS...fuck, where does one start? i mean, all you have to do is drop names, and they make ya cringe...

John "Hot Rod" Williams, Danny Ferry, Shawn Kemp...all fiascos in their own right...Diop, a potential fiasco in the making...then the coaches, Wittman and Lucas...one guy better as an assistant, the other better out of basketball...the dismissal of Fratello...and Paxson isn't really proving he's got what it takes to be a GM. they can't even hire good on-air talent to call the games (Joe Tait excluded)...

why we get all the shitty team owners here, i'll never know.

Roth Army Caesar
    I Am The Lizard King
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Well...twona...I'll never forget in 1989...when Magic was asked who would take over for the Lakers and Celtic as far as the team of the 90's...

and he said, "Wayne Embry's Cavs"

The funny thing about that team...is even with the Cavs being a might strapped financially...because of the Hot Rod deal...they could have won with that nucleus...

Doherty, HotRod, Nance, Harper, Ehlo and Price...quite the nucleus...

Thread Information