• Show
Clear All
  • Unchainme
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    • Apr 2005

Browns: List of starters already forming PDF Print E-mail
    Written by Steve Doerschuk REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITER
    Thursday, 25 May 2006

Romeo CrennelBEREA - NFL signifies “Not For Long” in a cryptic job-security sense. Still, you look at the Browns and wonder. Shouldn’t it be longer than that?

General Manager Phil Savage and Head Coach Romeo Crennel head into spring practice with a nucleus of players they want to keep for years. Forging that nucleus, though, is the result of an overhaul that is stunning even within the context of regime change.

The latest makeover goes in motion with the start of spring practice next week. By the end of a June 16-18 minicamp, expect Crennel to reveal clues as to likely starters for the 2006 opener against the Saints on Sept. 10. Already, the team’s run through free agency and the draft makes it fairly clear who most of those starters will be.

Based on one projection, expect:

n Six starters on offense who either weren’t starters on opening day 2005 or were on some other team.

n Six new starters on defense.

n Seventeen starters who weren’t starters at the close of 2004, nine on offense, eight on defense. The only exceptions are right tackle Ryan Tucker, fullback Terrelle Smith, defensive end Orpheus Roye, linebacker Andra Davis and cornerback Daylon McCutcheon.

Radical change was logical because the Butch Davis regime went 9-23 in its last two years. Fans seem to be embracing Savage’s massive fix-it attempt.

Outside pressure is building. A recent USA Today Sports Weekly article said, “This year’s surprise team could be Cleveland ... the Browns might be ready to turn their opponents black and blue.”

The purple haze of turnover, though, is one reason optimism should be tempered, at least until it becomes apparent that these guys can play together.

‘IN YOUR FACE’

Spring practice will be a mesh-fest. Special drills that started Tuesday focus on new center LeCharles Bentley and under-the-gun quarterback Charlie Frye working on exchanges. This was a problem that factored into the demise of Trent Dilfer and Jeff Faine.

Frye also needs to get a feel for new left tackle Kevin Shaffer, who protected mobile quarterback Michael Vick in Atlanta and now must get the hang of Frye’s improvisation.

Spring practice won’t completely address the huge issue of phasing in Kellen Winslow Jr. and Braylon Edwards as impact receivers. Coming off knee surgery, Winslow is scheduled to be up and running in some spring drills. Edwards, coming off a later knee surgery, will be present at but not active in spring sessions.

Chemistry among Frye and new wideouts Joe Jurevicius and Travis Wilson will be monitored. Jurevicius is a veteran who can work through Frye’s growing pains. Wilson is a rookie whose route-running needs work.

Offensive Coordinator Mo Carthon needs to have a good spring. The Browns ranked last in the NFL with 232 points, roughly half the 452 points racked up by Jurevicius’ former team, Seattle.

“Mo’s an in-your-face type of guy, and he’ll say what it is, black or white, in his opinion,” Savage said recently. “Some players respond to it and other players don’t ... some of our guys probably get along with ‘Mo’ and other guys don’t.

“For the good of the team, everyone has to be on the same page.”

PROVE IT OR SIT

The defense had a promising first chapter under coordinator Todd Grantham, but he’ll have a busy spring, too.

On the three-man line, incumbent ends Orpheus Roye and Alvin McKinley are working with a new nose tackle, Ted Washington. Rookie nose man Baba Oshinowo is trying to emerge.

The best talent at outside linebacker is in new bodies, veteran Willie McGinest and Round 1 pick Kamerion Wimbley. Crennel and Grantham must decide what to do with Chaun Thompson, who made strides in 2005 and is signed through 2007.

In theory, 2006 Round 2 pick D’Qwell Jackson can plug in alongside veteran Andra Davis to form a strong duo of inside linebackers. In fact, Jackson must prove he’s a better option than veterans Matt Stewart or Thompson.

The Browns drafted Wimbley and Jackson to be starters sooner rather than later.

“In last year’s draft,” Crennel said, “we were kind of shooting in the dark. We really didn’t know exactly what we needed. We were able to identify our needs this time.

“If they prove they can win the job, they will play. If they don’t win the job, they sit with me for a while.”

Brodney Pool, a Round 2 pick in 2005, sat as a rookie. Savage thinks Pool can be an impact safety, but he must beat out Brian Russell and Sean Jones for one of two openings.

Gary Baxter was supposed to stand out at corner last year. He sat out 11 games with a pectoral tear and must prove he can rebound.

Leigh Bodden and Daylon McCutcheon enter one of the team’s hottest position battles, for the starting cornerback job opposite Baxter.

These are some of the issues the Browns face as they attempt to turn “overhaul” into “up and running.”

Busy in Berea

What’s going on with the Browns:

Most players are participating in offseason conditioning at the team complex.

On Tuesday, the first of three special training sessions among centers and quarterbacks was conducted.

The first of 10 spring practices will be June 1.

A full-squad minicamp is set June 16-18, to be followed by summer break.

Training camp is tentatively set to start the last weekend in July.
    Still waiting for a relevant Browns Team

Comment

• POJO_Risin
      Roth Army Caesar
      • Mar 2003

The Browns have absolutely regressed...

but I do think that Savage and that fat fucking head coach of theirs...is a step in the right direction...

and they've done well in the offseason...

that being said...they are still some ways away...

I think the Steelers will have a chip on their shoulder by the way...because NOBODY will be picking them to repeat...

and damn if pissing of Porter and that D is the wrong thing to do...
      "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
        ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by POJO_Risin
        I think the Steelers will have a chip on their shoulder by the way...because NOBODY will be picking them to repeat...

and damn if pissing of Porter and that D is the wrong thing to do...
        That's OK, I'll be in Vegas in July, keep them odds high....
        Eat Us And Smile - The Originals

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

lmfao...well...there you go...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
            ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
            • Dec 2003

Still 9-1 as of right now....

I'll take that bet...

"I have a very belligerent enthusiasm or an enthusiastic belligerence. I’m an intellectual slut." - David Lee Roth

"We are part of the, not just the culture, but the geography. Van Halen music goes along with like fries with the burger." - David Lee Roth

Comment

• Unchainme
              ROTH ARMY SUPREME
              • Apr 2005

Personally I'm thinking it's going to be a Patriots Vs. 'Boys Super Bowl, With the Pats winning their Fourth and truly becoming the team of the decade. I think the Steelers winning it was a Fluke, Of Course I am Bias .

But I digress, The Browns will be better this year, The Bengals will be Back (You guys seemed to forget about them.) and then the team in Black and Yellow will be back as well. I think this Divison will be a damn hard one to play in, It's not going to be an easy Feat for the Steelers to repeat.

Comment

• Va Beach VH Fan
                ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
                • Dec 2003

Oh, hell no...

It's like Pitino said in Boston a few years ago, I'll paraphrase it for this conversation...

"Troy Aikman is not walking through that door, neither is Emmitt Smith or Michael Irvin"....

And please spare me the "Parcells" excuse....

Ya'll know my anti-coaches rant....

Comment

• Unchainme
                  ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Va Beach VH Fan
                  Oh, hell no...

It's like Pitino said in Boston a few years ago, I'll paraphrase it for this conversation...

"Troy Aikman is not walking through that door, neither is Emmitt Smith or Michael Irvin"....

And please spare me the "Parcells" excuse....

Ya'll know my anti-coaches rant....
                  Problem is, I couldn't think of the NFC opponent, I just picked the Cowboys for some reason. The NFC is weak as fuck, If the Browns were in the North they would have been contending for a playoff.

The Pats will be back next year though, and then Bow out Gracefully.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                    Roth Army Caesar
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Unchainme
                    Personally I'm thinking it's going to be a Patriots Vs. 'Boys Super Bowl, With the Pats winning their Fourth and truly becoming the team of the decade.

Here's the thing...the Pats have no depth...and now...their coaching staff is certainly suspect. I think the Pats will be okay...but I'm really looking at a team like Miami to surprise people. They have some talent there...and now...a coach who I think has a staff that many can't compare too. The depth is what made the Pats tough to beat...and now...particularly on the defensive side...they have none...

as for the Cowboys...well...with TO on that team...they could be very good...or even worse. Of course...I don't think anyone can make Bledsoe good again...

Originally posted by Unchainme
                    But I digress, The Browns will be better this year, The Bengals will be Back (You guys seemed to forget about them.) and then the team in Black and Yellow will be back as well. I think this Divison will be a damn hard one to play in, It's not going to be an easy Feat for the Steelers to repeat.
                    It wasn't easy for them to win in the first place. 1. The Browns will certainly be better...how could they not be. I still think the Steelers are head and shoulders above them. The only question-mark to me is whether or not they have that big bruising consistent back. Staley is good...but he hasn't been healthy in...well...2 years...I still think the potential for that offense led by a seasons Roeth, 2 great receivers, a great O-Line (see why the patriots aren't the same), and a defense that may be better than last year, can have a season BETTER than last seasons. Remember a couple of things here. When they lost to the Bengals...they were dealing with injuries...in particular...to Roeth...who wasn't right after the San Diego game...and the hammy issues. Don't forget...earlier in the year...it was the Steelers, when healthy, that laid one on the Bungles, and many had them rated as the #1 team in the league at that point. Injuries brought the Bungles to the top of the heap. Palmer...at this point as well...is still a question mark. I haven't forgotten the Bungles...I just think you have to have a defense, to match the offense...and they've done nothing to make me think that will change.

Comment

• Unchainme
                      ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                      • Apr 2005

Browns go on offensive PDF Print E-mail
                      Written by Terry Pluto, Ohio.com
                      Sunday, 28 May 2006

LeCharles BentleyIt has been awhile since I've written about the Browns, so this View is all about them -- something for fans wishing the NFL had spring football

General Manager Phil Savage is doing the only thing that he can do when trying to rebuild the Browns -- start by changing the offensive line.

``People love to talk about quarterbacks,'' Savage said. ``The quarterback is important, but I didn't see how we could get an impact quarterback right away. I didn't want to draft someone like Alex Smith and wait 3-4 years for him to develop. I wanted to turn over the offensive line.''

Consider that only 17 of the 53 players whom Savage inherited after the 2004 season remain. Only two are offensive linemen, starting right tackle Ryan Tucker and backup tackle Kirk Chambers.

Here was the usual offensive line in 2004: Ross Verba, Enoch DeMar, Jeff Faine, Kelvin Garmon and Tucker with Joaquin Gonzalez as the backup.

This season, it will be: Kevin Shaffer, Cosey Coleman, Joe Andruzzi, LeCharles Bentley andTucker, with veteran Bob Hallen as the key backup.

Bentley has been to the Pro Bowl. Coleman and Andruzzi have started for Super Bowl teams. Tucker has been the best offensive lineman since the Browns returned. Shaffer started 39 games for the Atlanta Falcons at left tackle. Hallen has played nine seasons with 47 career starts and is a major upgrade over Mike Pucillo.

``San Diego wanted to keep Hallen,'' Savage said. ``I have a friend in their front office, but he told me that Bob (a Kent State product) always wanted to play for the Browns. That gave us the inside track.''

Adding Bentley and Shaffer is critical, because both are 26 and entering their prime years. Tucker turns 31 in June and remains in good shape. The only long-term question marks are Coleman and Andruzzi.

Coleman, 27, will be a free agent at the end of 2006. He played with a very sore knee. Andruzzi, 30, has dealt with several injuries in the past few years. He missed three games last season. Part of the reason the New England Patriots decided against re-signing him before the 2005 season was a concern that his body is older than his age.

What the Browns discovered last season was even with Coleman and Andruzzi battling injuries, they were a major improvement over DeMar and Garmon. They are two veterans who know what they're doing, and they blocked for Reuben Droughns (1,232 yards), who became the team's first 1,000-yard rusher since 1985.

Watching big nose tackles such as the Pittsburgh Steelers' Casey Hampton manhandle center Jeff Faine led Savage to sign Bentley, making him one of the highest paid offensive linemen in the NFL.

``Our goal is to protect Charlie Frye and not put him in position where he feels he has to win games all the time,'' said Savage. ``We have spent money and put an emphasis on the line. We have some depth with Hallen, and I really think (Isaac) Sowells can develop into a starting guard in time. He was a left tackle at Indiana, so he can play there, too.''

Sowells was the fourth-round draft pick, acquired with the choice obtained in the Chris Crocker deal with the Falcons.

Catching the ball . . .

Savage believes that the Browns can help Frye in another way -- with two new receivers in Kellen Winslow and Joe Jurevicius. Winslow is healthy and should be ready for the opener. He has played only two games in two years, but he was a great college tight end at the University of Miami. He has bonded with Frye. The two of them work out together several days a week in Berea and have attended Cavs games and other sporting events.

``When Charlie gets in trouble, he can dump a little pass off to Kellen,'' Savage said. ``Kellen has the kind of talent to take a 4-yard pass and turn it into a 15- to 25-yard gain. Having a guy like that is a tremendous help to a quarterback.''

Jurevicius is a sure-handed veteran receiver who caught 53 passes with the Seattle Seahawks. Just think of how many key passes that Browns receivers have dropped the past few years. Other than the early years of Kevin Johnson, when was the last time they had a truly dependable wide receiver?

Jurevicius is a big target (6-foot-5, 230 pounds). He's not fast but can catch a ball in traffic. He knows not to run a 5-yard pattern when you need eight yards for a first down. Here's a revealing statistic: Of his 53 catches, 38 went for first downs, nine for touchdowns.

Then there's Edwards, who connected with Frye for some superb passes in the exhibition season. The Browns are cautious about saying when they expect him back from reconstructive knee surgery. The safe bet is October, and it's hard to know when he'll be 100 percent.

Dennis Northcutt is back, but the past few years have demonstrated that he's not a prime-time receiver. Savage said the Browns will take a serious look at Brandon Rideau, an undrafted free agent from Kansas who was on the roster last year but didn't play in the regular season. He had some good moments catching the ball in exhibition games.

More Browns . . .

• In their worst case scenario, the Browns expect Kamerion Wimbley to be on the field in passing situations to use his talent rushing the quarterback. He will have to learn to switch from defensive end at Florida State to an outside linebacker with the Browns. They don't imagine him having major adjustment problems.

• If you have to guess which rookie will start immediately, bet on second-rounder D'Qwell Jackson, a linebacker. He's only 6 feet tall and not exceptionally fast. Some scouts didn't rate him highly despite his leading the Atlantic Coast Conference in tackles the past two years. Savage picked him ``because he's just a very good football player. He's smart and tough and picks things up quickly. He'll play inside linebacker for us, his natural position. We're high on him.''

• The Browns hope Jackson can combine with Andra Davis for the two inside linebacker spots. They have Willie McGinest on the outside. Chaun Thompson also might play some outside linebacker. Matt Stewart can play inside or outside. They are hoping David McMillan (fifth-round pick in 2005) can be in the mix somewhere. He played very little last season.

• Savage said the Browns are content with Ken Dorsey as the backup quarterback. They don't want to sign an aging quarterback just to have a name better known to fans. Dorsey has started 10 games and thrown 316 passes in his career. His passer rating is 63.7, with eight touchdowns compared with 11 interceptions. Not great numbers, but hardly an embarrassment. He also has a fair amount of experience for a quarterback who is only 25.

• No matter what the Browns say, it's hard to imagine Lee Suggs with the team by next season. They are loaded at running back. In addition to Droughns, they have William Green and fifth-rounder Jerome Harrison, a fascinating prospect because he gained 1,900 yards, caught 24 passes and scored 16 touchdowns at Washington State. The Browns also like Jason Wright a bit. They appreciate Suggs' talent, but he has an extensive injury history dating to his college career.

• I expect Suggs to be elsewhere. Green might stick because he's very good on special teams and his off-the-field problems have ceased to be an issue. Harrison and Wright would supply depth, with Harrison possibly being a pass-catching back on third-down situations. As for Wright, Savage said: ``The coaches like him because he knows exactly what to do. He's one of the classiest people on the team. He's the kind of player who can surprise you.''

• It's hard to know what to make of Droughns' domestic-violence case. Supposedly, his wife doesn't want charges filed. These things are always messy. The Browns are saying nothing without more details, and that's probably the wisest course.

Comment

• Unchainme
                        ROTH ARMY SUPREME
                        • Apr 2005

Shit, Poj. Check it out.

BUCKS/WOLVERQUEENS

STILLERS/BROWNS

ON THE SAME FUCKING WEEKEND!!!!!!!

Vs.

12. RIVALRY WEEKEND, BUCKEYE STYLE
                        Sat., Nov. 18: Michigan at Ohio State (Columbus)
                        College football's most enduring rivalry has gone the Buckeyes' way four of the last five times. Maybe the Wolverines should invite John Cooper to the Horseshoe. His mere presence usually ensures a Michigan win.

Vs.

Sun., Nov. 19: Pittsburgh at Cleveland
                        So, this rivalry has gone south since the Bernie Kosar era, but that could be changing under the guidance of Romeo Crennel. The Super Bowl champs provide a litmus test.

Visit ESPN for live scores, highlights and sports news. Stream exclusive games on ESPN+ and play fantasy sports.

ESPN's is calling the Ultimate Sports Weekend for Ohio, This is going to be Fucking grate Bro.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Yeah...I saw that already...

a good weekend...no doubt...

at least Ohio will get one good win out of it...

and no Al...not the Browns...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                            Roth Army Caesar
                            • Mar 2003

It looks like the Bulls are thinking of offering the Cavs their #2 pick to the Cavs for Zydrunas Ilgauskis..

this would be a great deal...

not a great draft...but no doubt the Cavs would be able to address one of their needs with the #2...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

my guess is that Cleveland would be going after LaMarcus Aldridge...

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                                Roth Army Caesar
                                • Mar 2003

There's also a rumor that Cleveland could deal Z...sign and trade Gooden...

to Milwaukee for Jamal Magliore (a more athletic center)...and get Aldridge...

Magliore/Aldreidge (Bosh-like...but probably stronger) would be a HUGE improvement over Z/Gooden IMO...

it won't happen...because no way Milwaukee deals Jamal to the Cavs...but it would be outstanding if it did...

Comment

Working...