Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • POJO_Risin
    Roth Army Caesar
    • Mar 2003

Oh jesus christ...you don't think they brought back Hargrove with that thought in mind do you? Wedge seems to be doing a great job this year...

how's he handling his pitchers?
    "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• twonabomber
      formerly F A T
      ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

more Lebowitz-On the way out?

Part of the reasoning behind the signing of Boone was the Indians didn't think they could keep Belliard next season. He's subject to arbitration, and based on this season's performance, an arbitrator would give him at least $4 million. The Indians could sign him now, offering a sizable raise and avoid arbitration, but he would want a long-tern contract - at least three years - and the Indians don't want to commit to that.

So figure on both Belliard and Omar Vizquel being gone next season. Vizquel says he wants to play a few more years. The only way the Indians would keep him next season is if, liking Cleveland so much, Vizquel says, "I'll sign for $1 million."

Shapiro told the Cleveland City Club last week that after Omar's playing days are over and he wants to stay in baseball in some capacity, "We'll almost certainly welcome him back, just as we've done with Charles Nagy."

Both Peralta and Phillps are having solid seasons in Buffalo and both can play short and second.
      Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• twonabomber
        formerly F A T
        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

as soon as they rehired Grover, i thought it was just in case of a Wedge collapse. of course, i thought the same thing when they rehired Buddy Bell a couple years ago. Dolan always says he's a fan of the team and its history...i could see him bringing Hargrove back.

i don't get to watch many games because of my new schedule, but i don't read much negative stuff regarding Wedge and the pitchers. the 'pen was screwing up, it wasn't so much Wedge going to relief at the wrong time.
        Writing In All Proper Case Takes Extra Time, Is Confusing To Read, And Is Completely Pointless.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
          Roth Army Caesar
          • Mar 2003

Man...the Tribe is just fucking chalk full of talent...

they could play these extra players into something big over the next few years...

and it seems like they are making all the right moves thusfar...
          "Van Halen was one of the most hallelujah, tailgate, backyard, BBQ, arrive four hours early to the gig just for the parking lot bands. And still to this day is. It's an attitude. I think it's a spirit more than anything else is."

Comment

• POJO_Risin
            Roth Army Caesar
            • Mar 2003

yeah...I did think that Bell was brought in for 2 reasons...to help "season" wedge...and to then take his slot if/when he blew up...

as it stands now...I can't see anything happening to Wedge...unless they fold it up the next three months...

Comment

• twonabomber
              formerly F A T
              ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

more Lebowitz...

I had heard the Indians have Richie Sexson on their radar screen for next year as their first baseman. He's going to be a free agent. Does the acquisition of Boone knock that out, since Blake might move there? "Not at all," I was told by a Tribe exec. "Blake can be our utility infielder (which would end John McDonald's days here) or our second baseman. Although Richie (now with the Diamondbacks) hasn't played much this season and now is through for the year because of an injury, he proably expects to get a contract over $10 million, and much as we like him, that would be too big a risk after his injury."

The Indians do expect to have about $15 million to spend on free agents next year because, for the first time, they'll be on the recieving end of the luxury tax and they'll be without the contracts of Vizquel and Bob Wickman.

Incidentally, you may remember the Tribe once had Sexson before then-GM John Hart traded him to get Wickman.
              Last edited by twonabomber; 06-27-2004, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• twonabomber
                formerly F A T
                ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

thats the thing. if they keep adding talent, and Wedge doesn't screw it up, they're all gonna look like geniuses.

Comment

• twonabomber
                  formerly F A T
                  ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

some chatter from the PD...

Clubhouse confidential: New Tribe third baseman Aaron Boone said he's been watching a lot of Indians games on TV recently. He must be.

When he entered the interview room at Jacobs Field Saturday, he spotted Fox Sports Net Ohio's Andy Baskin.

"There's Andy Baskin," Boone said.

Baskin was impressed. "What a big day for me," he said.

More Boone: During batting practice, Boone walked around introducing himself to his new teammates. He was wearing an Indians cap, an Indians jersey and dress slacks.

As the team exited the field, outfielder Jody Gerut smiled and said, "Someone tell Boone he can take his Indians cap off. We all know he signed."

Stat of the day: Boone's first big-league home run was hit off the Chicago Cubs' Kerry Wood in August 1998.

Comment

• twonabomber
                    formerly F A T
                    ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

For Boone, choice was easy
                    Free-agent infielder likes direction Indians are headed

Sunday, June 27, 2004
                    Dennis Manoloff
                    Plain Dealer Reporter

A two-hour lunch was enough to convince Aaron Boone to leave his comfort zone in the West for Cleveland. Whatever Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro and manager Eric Wedge told Boone on June 3 in Southern California, they need to memorize it for use on future free agents.

"When I got into the car after meeting with those guys, I said, I want to be an Indian,' " Boone said.

"Aaron was fired up," said Adam Katz, his agent. "From that point, we really concentrated on Cleveland."

Less than four weeks later, they made it happen. The signing of third baseman Boone to a two-year contract, with a vesting provision on a club option for 2006, officially was announced Saturday at a news conference at Jacobs Field. The deal, in the hopper for several days, was contingent on Boone passing a physical Friday.

Boone, 31, has not played this season as he recovers from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, an injury that occurred in January during a pickup basketball game. Boone also suffered a torn ACL in the left knee in 2000.

Boone is a career .270 hitter with 92 home runs and 393 RBI in parts of seven major-league seasons. All but 54 of his 722 games in the majors have been with the Cincinnati Reds, who traded him to the Yankees on July 31, 2003. On Oct. 15, his homer off Boston's Tim Wakefield in the 11th inning of Game 7 of the American League Championship Series made him a household name in Gotham.

A source familiar with the Indians negotiations said Boone will earn about $350,000 this year as his prorated salary. The source said Boone could earn an estimated $5 million in 2005, with the money evenly split between base salary and incentives. The 2006 portion of the contract, potentially worth $5.5 million, would be guaranteed if Boone reaches a plate-appearance incentive next season. The 2006 breakdown is for about $4.125 million base, $1.375 million incentive.

Boone had been scheduled to earn $5.75 million with the Yankees this season, but management voided the contract because of a provision that prohibited basketball games as an off-field activity. The Yankees paid him nearly $1 million in termination pay and made him a free agent.

"I would have liked to stay out West, maybe in the National League," said Boone, a California native who lives in Phoenix, Ariz., "so this is a testament to my belief in what the Indians are doing. There is a lot of young talent on this team."

With the Indians 22-28 at the time of the lunch meeting, Shapiro and Wedge sold Boone on a blueprint that pegged 2005 as the year to contend seriously for the playoffs and beyond. In doing so, they put no pressure on Boone to return this season, whereas big-market clubs such as Los Angeles, Anaheim and Boston had sought immediate dividends.

"Cleveland most impressed us because they really didn't care if Aaron was not ready to play this year," Katz said. "They were simply in the Aaron Boone business. They want him back when he's ready, not just in September."

More than four months removed from surgery, Boone said the rehabilitation process has gone smoothly. He will return to Arizona today to resume the rehab, estimated at another 3-4 weeks. He then will join the Indians and commence spring-training-type work before embarking on a major-league rehab assignment.

A setback-free scenario has Boone playing for the Indians in late August or early September.

"I feel like I'll come out of this in as good a shape as I've ever been," he said. "I'm looking forward to being in a clubhouse again."

Among those who helped convince Boone to come to Cleveland was Reds first baseman Sean Casey, a close friend of the player and Shapiro. Casey has lauded Boone as the quintessential teammate.

Boone is the son of former Reds manager and standout catcher Bob Boone, and the brother of Mariners second baseman Bret. His grandfather, Ray Boone, was an All-Star during his 13-year career, including six with Cleveland (1948-53). According to the Indians media relations staff, the Boones are one of just three three-generation baseball families (Bells, Hairstons).

"Grandpa has the '48 World Series team picture on the wall at his home," Aaron said of the Tribe's most recent world champion. "I think my playing for the Indians is going to be neat and probably a bit nostalgic."

Aaron reported that Ray, who lives in San Diego, has been feeling better after an illness.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                      Roth Army Caesar
                      • Mar 2003

I love the arms in the minors...and still with position players like Phillips, Sizemore, Peralta and Aubrey...they are stil going strong...

finally...keeping some of that talent local...I fear the trade deadline this year...

Comment

• twonabomber
                        formerly F A T
                        ROTH ARMY WEBMASTER

• Jan 2004

Pojo, you'll like this:

Let go of ghosts past - bring Mesa back to town
                        Tuesday, June 29, 2004
                        Bud Shaw, PD Columnist

Wrongful death claims in some states carry a statute of limitations of less than seven years.

What is it for crimes against the Cleveland sports fan?

Hold on. I have the book right here. Let's see. Looks like 77 years. Wait, no. It's 777. It might be time to repeal that law.

There is one move Indians General Manager Mark Shapiro could make to improve the Indians that would be bolder public relationswise than trading Roberto Alomar or Bartolo Colon.

Trade for Jose Mesa.

Sorry, not so he could be placed in a pillory in Public Square. Trade for him so that he can close games the way he is closing games in Pittsburgh, the way games are not being closed here. Regularly.

"If I thought he could help us, I wouldn't hesitate," Shapiro said Monday before leaving to look at players in Buffalo. "Whether or not the history here would [have an impact] on his ability to perform would just be one ingredient in the equation."

What you have to like about Shapiro is that he tackles trouble head on. He hasn't decided anything substantial about any closer who might become available. He wants to see about Bob Wickman first and take a look at Bobby Howry, too.

Wickman has had three rehabilitation outings. Shapiro says his fastball has held steady around 91 mph, but it's still spring training for him.

In another three weeks, more non-contending teams like the 29-43 Pirates will be shopping players. Pittsburgh was 15½ games behind St. Louis before playing the Cardinals on Monday night. Save situations for Mesa have been like trying to find buried treasure.

A scoreless ninth against the Reds on Saturday gave Mesa his 17th consecutive save, a Pirates' record. It left him perfect for the season, despite having reason to be as rusty as an old swing set. It was only his fourth opportunity in Pittsburgh's previous 32 games.

Yes, yes. I know what you're thinking. That's Pittsburgh. Here, he would be haunted by the 1997 World Series and the boos that chased him out of town the following season.

Speak for yourself. You may be haunted by all that, but Mesa is far removed from it. That was long before you saw how queasy David Riske and Jose Jimenez have looked in the role.

If it comes down to that Jose or this Jose, Mesa would have to be carried trembling to the mound in a basket not to qualify as an improvement. He's the Jose who has allowed a run in just four of his 30 appearances.

"If he blew a save here, they'd boo," Shapiro said. "If he got the save, they'd cheer."

The questions for Shapiro are far more pragmatic, as they must be. To trade for any closer, it's all about the cost. Money isn't an issue in Mesa's case. With him, it's what the Indians would have to give up to rent a 38-year-old for a few months.

Acquiring Mesa would demand one obvious adjustment. When an infielder comes to the mound to settle Mesa down, manager Eric Wedge might want to have somebody other than Mesa's archenemy Omar Vizquel do the visitation.

"Players want to win," Shapiro said, not specifically mentioning the Vizquel-Mesa relationship. "If they feel a player can help the team do that, that's what matters."

In a town that cheered John Rocker before he made it painfully clear he couldn't pitch, it should be easy to justify a second chance for Mesa if it comes to that.

There would be no justifiable reason in 2004, certainly, to make Mesa feel like Michael Moore at a Republican fund-raiser.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                          Roth Army Caesar
                          • Mar 2003

Jesus...Mesa back in town...

holy hell...

the scary thing...compared to what we got...I'd probably welcome it...

but you know...it would blow up in their face...and christ...the Pirates always ask for to much...

remember the Rincon for Giles deal? Fuck that...let them keep Mesa...

Comment

• ALinChainz
                            DIAMOND STATUS
                            • Jan 2004

The Cleveland Cavaliers Chatter

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Thursday, July 8, 2004

News

ESPN's David Aldridge is reporting that free agent forward Carlos Boozer—who reportedly committed verbally to resigning in Cleveland—has reneged on that agreement and signed with the Utah Jazz for $68 million over six years. The Cavs recently relinquished their rights to Boozer for next season, in which they would have paid him the league-minimum $695,000, on the faith that he would not explore free agency. The parties had arranged to compensate Boozer with the full midlevel exception, which would have paid the third-year power forward approximately $40 million over six years. Boozer averaged 15.5 points and 11.7 rebounds per game last season.

Views

Apparently, Boozer and his agent were blown away by the sums of cash being doled out for middling talent like Adonal Foyle and Rafer Alston and decided they couldn't pass up what amounts to an extra $28 million. Because Boozer is a restricted free agent, Cleveland in theory will have the opportunity to match this offer from Utah, but the full midlevel exception is the best they can do. Boozer had a huge fantasy season in 2003 and certainly emerged as a productive complement to LeBron James. However, his challenge in Utah will be to maintain those numbers despite a deeper team with more offensive weapons. His rebounding totals should hold steady, but we're not optimistic about his scoring potential.

Comment

• POJO_Risin
                              Roth Army Caesar
                              • Mar 2003

This is total fucking Bullshit...

stupid for Cleveland for allowing him to go out there like that...

and stupid for the NBA to let middling players like Boozer to sign outlandish deals like this...and their bargaining agreement is up at the end of the next year...

I smell a strike and/or lockout...

fuck them all...

Comment

• Lou

HUGE fucking loss for Cleveland. HUGE. That really sets them a step back no doubt. Bad mistake letting him go, Boozer is one hell of a player.

Comment

Working...