Today @ 07:40 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,562 Times in 3,449 Posts

Retired Superbowl Winning QB Brad Johnson Hobbled With Pain

Pain Catches Up To Super Bowl-Winning QB
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:59 pm
    Written by: ThePostGame Staff

Ten years ago Brad Johnson led the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to a Super Bowl title.

Now the 44-year-old has trouble walking down the stairs at his home in Athens, Ga.

"I go down one step at a time with two feet. One step. One step. One step," Johnson told USA Today's Robert Klemko. "My 73-year-old dad was visiting and I told my son to help him get his suitcases up the steps. He walks slow and he's got a bad knee. He starts walking and my son turns to me and he says, 'Dad, he walks just like you.' I never thought it would be like this."

At one point, Johnson was known as one of the toughest quarterbacks in the NFL. He started 125 games during his career, throwing for at least 3,000 yards in five different seasons. Former Tampa Bay offensive lineman Roman Oben blocked for Drew Brees, Philip Rivers and several other quarterbacks, but he says Johnson was his favorite.

"This is a tough guy who could step into the huddle and you knew things were going to work out," Omen told Klemko.

The injuries Johnson suffered throughout his 15-year career read like a laundry list of pain. While with the Minnesota Vikings in 1997, Johnson felt his neck stiffen up. It got so bad that he had trouble driving and couldn't palm a football. As it turned out, he would need surgery to correct nerve damage in his spine between the C4 and C5 vertebrae.

Then, within a span of four years Johnson broke his right ankle, had surgery to correct microfractures in his left knee, and cracked the transverse processes in his vertebra. Johnson's pain became so bad that in 2002 he joined many of his teammates in taking injections of the controversial painkiller Toradol before games. While Toradol helps relieve aches, some players allege that it is so strong that it makes it difficult for them to judge the significance of injuries.

"Deacon Jones said you have to give your body to the game," Johnson said. "You look at him and his fingers are crooked. His eyes are probably crooked, too. But he's right -- you have to give your body."

Johnson wasn't sure what he would do after retiring from the NFL in 2008, but he has enjoyed coaching youth football and basketball players. Johnson and his wife, Nikki, have two sons, who are 10 and 12. And while the game hobbled Johnson, Nikki knows she can't stop her sons from playing football.

"I would never want to discourage them from doing something they would love," she said. "You want your child to follow their dreams and you want to give them as much wisdom as you can about it, and make their own decisions."

Johnson has earned disability payments from the NFL, but like many former players (including ex-Packers quarterback Don Majkowski), he is still seeking worker's compensation from the league.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

2. 2 users say thank you to Nickdfresh for this KICKASS post:

BITEYOASS (04-25-2013),TFM_Dale (04-25-2013)

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-09-2022 @ 10:36 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,023 Posts

Thanks for sharing this, good read, I wish Brad all the luck in the world with his aches and pain. Would be nice if the NFL would step up and start a decent health care/disability program for former players. When you think of all the money they rake in their really is no reason they haven't done so.
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

ROTH KILL!
    ROTH ARMY ELITE
    Member No
    Last Online
    01-17-2021 @ 08:52 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Pony up the fuckin' money NFL owners! You greedy fucks!

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

well, the players subjecting themselves to the contact are not very poor...

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    well, the players subjecting themselves to the contact are not very poor...
    Some guys "only" make around 400k for a whole season, factor in a average of 5 year shelf life and it doesn't leave a lot for your future, especially if you are basically disabled and not even 40 yet. Factor in caring for your family and all the medical expenses you can see how so many players hit the skids. Now don't get me wrong, the jackasses that had giant contracts and blew money just for the sake of blowing money don't tug at my heart strings to much. That said a multi BILLION dollar business like the NFL has no excuse for not having some kind of long term health care and pension in place for former players.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Some guys "only" make around 400k for a whole season, factor in a average of 5 year shelf life and it doesn't leave a lot for your future, especially if you are basically disabled and not even 40 yet. Factor in caring for your family and all the medical expenses you can see how so many players hit the skids. Now don't get me wrong, the jackasses that had giant contracts and blew money just for the sake of blowing money don't tug at my heart strings to much. That said a multi BILLION dollar business like the NFL has no excuse for not having some kind of long term health care and pension in place for former players.
    if they were responsible with their cash it wouldn't be a problem. shmoes like us manage to support families and retire with health insurance on peanuts compared to them. i thought sure the nfl had those, or similar programs in place

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

if they were responsible with their cash it wouldn't be a problem. shmoes like us manage to support families and retire with health insurance on peanuts compared to them. i thought sure the nfl had those, or similar programs in place
    Recently they have taken steps to do something, if they ran it like other giant businesses they could have a health plan in place players could retire with, and a decent pension plan should be a no brainer, not saying huge dollars by any means, but they should NEVER have to file for social security either. Why should the government have to foot the bill when the NFL is more then capable of doing so?

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TFM_Dale View Post
    Recently they have taken steps to do something, if they ran it like other giant businesses they could have a health plan in place players could retire with, and a decent pension plan should be a no brainer, not saying huge dollars by any means, but they should NEVER have to file for social security either. Why should the government have to foot the bill when the NFL is more then capable of doing so?
    don't they pay in?

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

don't they pay in?
    Everybody does but every little bit helps when you have a deficit the size of ours. I have no problem with owners making a butt load of money and I do think contracts for star players are out of control but in my opinion they have a long ways to go as far as supporting former players.

Von loves Brady
    ROTH ARMY SUPREME
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Plus, people that deliver mail, manage businesses, work in factories, deliver goods, most any job the usual people do doesn't take the toll on the body that sports does. The major sports profit from this damage done to the players, why can't they be responsible for caring for them after their careers are over?

Thread Information