03-03-2024 @ 04:13 AM
    A Small Dive in a trashy neighborhood somewhere on Fornax 9
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,616 Times in 1,647 Posts

Meeting Ginger Baker: an experience to forget

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musi...aker-interview

Meeting Ginger Baker: an experience to forget

How an onstage Q&A with the great drummer turned into a professional horror show

Video Link:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/vide...er-baker-video

The video above doesn't really capture the full horror of my thankfully brief time with Ginger Baker. It was an onstage Q&A at the Curzon Soho cinema in London, after a screening of the excellent documentary Beware of Mr Baker, and the best that can be said is that – having already seen the film – I knew what to expect.

The title alone tells you pretty much all you need to know – but in the course of the film scores of collaborators and family members outline that while he may be one of the greatest musicians these shores have ever produced, Baker isn't all that much of a pleasure to be around. Mind you, you don't need other people to tell you that; the evidence is there in the interviews with him, in which scorn is poured on more or less everyone. I recall him being nice about his stepdaughter by his fourth marriage, about his American jazz drumming heroes, about Eric Clapton – who's rather more guarded in return – and pretty much no one else. It is uncomfortable viewing.

We were introduced, briefly, before the Q&A. Baker was reclining, eyes closed, in an armchair in the cinema's bar. A man from the film's distributor attempted to introduce me – so we could get the measure of each other – and received the barest twitch of an eyelid. I sat down next to him and said I would be doing the Q&A with him. No response – he's hard of hearing these days – so I repeated myself. Eventually I got the response: "No you're fucking not. The audience is." OK.

I wasn't surprised. This, I was later told, is a man who not long ago reduced one veteran rock writer – famed as the nicest, most equable man in the business – to expressing his desire to hit Baker, after one particularly fruitless encounter. A man secure in his contempt for those he doesn't believe to be his equal – and when you're the greatest ever British drummer, you don't have many equals.

It was all downhill from the introduction. Our video omits most of the times Baker dismissed my questions, or raised his eyebrows in disgust. It omits the one-word answers, by and large. It omits his more withering reponses to questions from the audience. It leaves out the 15-second pause where I simply sat in silence, wishing the earth would swallow me whole. It leaves out Baker deciding he's had enough with the words "I want to go home now." You may able to note the one point where I have just about had enough, and my voice tightens and quickens while I ask another "silly question". It doesn't sound much on the video, but it was an effort of will to get a question out instead of telling him what I thought of his rudeness.

I'm told it made good viewing. And afterwards several audience members told me that at least I should consider it a success not to have turned into a gibbering wreck. I'm reminded of Simon Hattenstone's interview with Lou Reed for the Guardian a decade ago, where Simon – under the Lou death glare – finally cracked: "Why are you so aggressive to me? What have I done to you? Why are you being so horrible." The difference for me is that Ginger Baker was never my hero, so he couldn't disappoint me. But the single question I'd most like to have asked Ginger Baker – and which should have been asked in the film – is a variant on Simon's: Why are you such an unpleasant man? What possible benefit does it bring you? After all, you don't watch Beware of Mr Baker and think: he might be a tosser, but at least he's happy. In fact, he just seems filled with anger and bitterness.

I've had peculiar interviews before. I once sat on the floor in the dressing rooms at Spurs' training ground to talk to Sol Campbell, while John Scales stood just to my right, listening in. He was naked. His penis kept dangling in and out of my eyeline at disconcertingly close range. But I've never had any interview experience quite so unsettling as half an hour with Ginger Baker in front of a couple of hundred people. It's not something I want to repeat.

Right. Who's got Lou Reed's phone number?

Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    12-27-2016 @ 08:33 AM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,252 Posts

I've never read an interview with Ginger where he comes across as even remotely pleasant.

He seems to be a man who: a) hate rock 'n' roll and the rock industry; and b) prostitutes himself for said industry to make a buck.

Being vile at 25 is rock 'n' roll; being vile at 70 is just vile......
    Hey Jackass! You need to [Register] or log in to view signatures on ROTHARMY.COM!

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 12:20 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,052 Times in 2,583 Posts

Baker has always been an odd duck. I recall seeing him with one of his Air Force pick-up bands, opening for the Doobie Brothers in 1974 or so. The guy was leaning over his kit and vomiting into a bucket while playing. I guess you have to grudgingly admire that sort of "professionalism", yet at the same time, be equally appalled by it.

To my ears, the guy has always sounded like two crippled horses galloping down a muddy street in a rainstorm, wearing miss-matched shoes and ankle braces. No, I'm not so fond of the fellow, from his playing to the dozens of other stories I've read about his so-called "eccentricity." Startling fact of life: Some people truly are nothing more than complete assholes, and no amount of fame or debatable talent will change that.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05-16-2013 at 11:43 AM.

4. 3 users say thank you to chefcraig for this KICKASS post:

ashstralia (05-16-2013),binnie (05-16-2013),Hardrock69 (05-16-2013)

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

To my ears, the guy has always sounded like two crippled horses galloping down a muddy street in a rainstorm, wearing miss-matched shoes and ankle braces..
    This made me chuckle

I actually think it's partly a problem of trying to do jazz in a 'rock' format - it needlessly over-complicates things. With Ginger (to my ears, at least) there is something of the Emperor's new clothes: what has he done since Cream? Ok, I'll give you Blind Faith. But since then, isn't a case of trading on the 'great drummer' memories - I think those 'eccentricities' are about the only thing that keep him in the public eye......

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2024 @ 03:21 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 3,250 Posts

Blog Entries
    Ginger fucking Baker is ROCK AND ROLL! Which means you do whatever you damn well please no matter what people think. It's not political correctness or clever marketing. It's being you, even if you are an asshole and having the talent to get away with it. He's an individual that refuses to conform to a prepackaged society steered by corporations and think tanks that most of us are naive to buy into.

There really aren't too many real rock and rollers left. Most of the them are dead. Ginger is one of the few surviving ones. They aways had HUGE egos and dared to do what most people were too scared to do.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Express View Post
    Ginger fucking Baker is ROCK AND ROLL! Which means you do whatever you damn well please no matter what people think. It's not political correctness or clever marketing. It's being you, even if you are an asshole and having the talent to get away with it. He's an individual that refuses to conform to a prepackaged society steered by corporations and think tanks that most of us are naive to buy into.

There really aren't too many real rock and rollers left. Most of the them are dead. Ginger is one of the few surviving ones. They aways had HUGE egos and dared to do what most people were too scared to do.
    Being 'rock 'n' roll' is all well and good when you're young, but when you're old it just looks ridiculous and, well, rude. GB turned up to an interview - in front of a large audience - and then proceeded to not answer any of the questions. If you or I did that, people would think we were assholes. Why should playing drums make someone any different?

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Ok I watched it. It was not a fail. The audience loved it. They were laughing and enjoying it. The interviewer was the one with the ego. He had the set list of questions and could no improvise with the guest. The interviewer failed and luckily Ginger saved his ass but entertaining the audience and he knew he had them in his fucking hands. Rock On!
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-16-2013 at 12:05 PM.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by binnie View Post
    Being 'rock 'n' roll' is all well and good when you're young, but when you're old it just looks ridiculous and, well, rude. GB turned up to an interview - in front of a large audience - and then proceeded to not answer any of the questions. If you or I did that, people would think we were assholes. Why should playing drums make someone any different?
    The audience loved it. The interviewer was so uptight he couldn't adapt to the situation and laugh at the situation and make something of it.

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I get Baker's point about people being anally critical and over analyzing portents of music. Let's face it, the dumbest farmers more often than not grow the biggest potatoes. And yeah, humble servants get chaffed in the ass over such solid introspection, but the point is, there is a desire expected by the faithful for some much needed humility. Humility, not capitulation.

The man was onstage, performing an interview in order to promote a documentary film about his life, and one must imagine he was getting paid a good wage for it. (Knowing Baker, there would be little reason otherwise to attend.) He need not have acted like it was a waste of his time, since he had more pressing things to do, such as sitting at home and watching a car rust or for the grass to grow.

And being an elitist prick doesn't really serve anyone all that much, particularly the elitist prick in question. Great, he clobbered the drum kit from sometime in the late 1950s until around 1969 with some success. Since then, what? Humanitarian? Nope. Altruistic friend to those in need? Double nope. Fund raiser/charity contributor? Triple nope. Thinks the sun rises and sets out of his own particular ass? Quadruple yes.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    The man is insane. If he was normal and humble nobody would care about him and the seats in the audience would be empty. Nice guys really do finish last.

12. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

conmee (05-16-2013)

ROTH ARMY FOUNDER
    International Playboy
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-11-2024 @ 01:12 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fuck Ginger! I always preferred Mary Ann baby!!!! If you wan't "jazz" and "reggae" timings in a "rock" format look no further than Stewart Copeland. He's professional and one of my Top 5 drummers. Of course, Baker is entertaining and I can't fault someone who was in Cream, in all actuality I think the world needs MORE assholes... I mean look how great this site is with guys like FORD©®™, ELVIS©®™, NICKD©®™, FLAPPO©®™, WARF©®™, etc... not that THEY are assholes... uh huh uh huh uh huh... just sayin' variety etc...

Mind The Gap!©®™

Icon©®™

14. Thanked conmee for this KICKASS post:

chefcraig (05-16-2013)

Perpetually Befuddled
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Copeland has always been outstanding. Fuck, he performed the soundtrack for the outstanding yet sadly forgotten TV series The Equalizer. And his live playing with the Police (from any era) serves as a masterclass in how to beat the living shit out of a drum kit, with taste and chops to spare.

Foot Soldier
    Member No
    Last Online
    09-23-2023 @ 01:16 PM
    Status
    Thanks

Years and years ago when I was about 16 –17 I visited a friend of mine in a Swedish town called Uppsala. He told me we had to go check out this amazing bass player Jonas Hellborg, my friend had played one of his albums to me earlier and I was not to impressed with bass fret wanking but I came along. It was a small club maybe took about 100 but the place wasn’t full. The band was truly amazing but you could tell the drummer was pissed of as hell, throwing sticks around and at one point stood up and told the sound guy off, I didn’t understand why and neither did the sound guy who was right next to us. After the set the drummer sat beside us in the bar and we started to complement him for the great show than he told us that he had spent the night with this girl who had stolen all of his clothes and that’s why he was so pissed of. My friend and I said that sucks of course, was she that poor or why should she steal your all your things including your underwear. Than he looked at us and said you don’t know who I am do you? No we said we talked for a couple of minutes and he went backstage and never told us who he where, as we left the place my friend took down one of the posters that was up there to promote the gig. Years later when he moved from Uppsala he found the poster in his bookshelf he called me up and said do you remember the gig we went to a couple of years ago, yea I said you know the drummer we talked to was Ginger Baker ex Cream drummer and the guitar player was Joe Satriani.

17. Thanked saint for this KICKASS post:

binnie (05-17-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Copeland has always been outstanding. Fuck, he performed the soundtrack for the outstanding yet sadly forgotten TV series The Equalizer. And his live playing with the Police (from any era) serves as a masterclass in how to beat the living shit out of a drum kit, with taste and chops to spare.
    I always liked Stewart's drum and sound track work.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I don't know. This man reminds me of the crusty primadonna bricklayers that used to work for my dad. As a teen during the summers I had to stock them with bricks and mortar. You got yelled at a ton and they were God. I somehow think working with Ginger would be a similar experience. You probably would have to have a thick skin to be a drum student of his. LOL!

Banned
    REPENT AND SINS NO MO!

Member No
    Last Online
    11-04-2021 @ 07:27 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,233 Times in 2,449 Posts

Blog Entries
    "Baker isn't all that much of a pleasure to be around."

He's not all that much of a drummer either...

He was in the right place at the right time...

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by saint View Post
    Years and years ago when I was about 16 –17 I visited a friend of mine in a Swedish town called Uppsala. He told me we had to go check out this amazing bass player Jonas Hellborg, my friend had played one of his albums to me earlier and I was not to impressed with bass fret wanking but I came along. It was a small club maybe took about 100 but the place wasn’t full. The band was truly amazing but you could tell the drummer was pissed of as hell, throwing sticks around and at one point stood up and told the sound guy off, I didn’t understand why and neither did the sound guy who was right next to us. After the set the drummer sat beside us in the bar and we started to complement him for the great show than he told us that he had spent the night with this girl who had stolen all of his clothes and that’s why he was so pissed of. My friend and I said that sucks of course, was she that poor or why should she steal your all your things including your underwear. Than he looked at us and said you don’t know who I am do you? No we said we talked for a couple of minutes and he went backstage and never told us who he where, as we left the place my friend took down one of the posters that was up there to promote the gig. Years later when he moved from Uppsala he found the poster in his bookshelf he called me up and said do you remember the gig we went to a couple of years ago, yea I said you know the drummer we talked to was Ginger Baker ex Cream drummer and the guitar player was Joe Satriani.

Holy fucking hell......

That's one thing I love about rockers....great stories!

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

A long, long time ago I was a brick tender for a masonry crew for 2 months....I lost 60 pounds during that time....all 90° days.....nonstop lifting of concrete blocks, cement, bricks, etc........it is an overrated experience......

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

I wish Bonzo was around to punch him in the teeth and teach him a lesson.

Greatest British drummer ever? NOPE.

Now Cream live 1 and 2 are fucking awesome, but Led Zeppelin II alone curbstomps them both.

24. Thanked ODShowtime for this KICKASS post:

DLR Bridge (05-17-2013)

"Kick his ass Seabass.."
    Commando
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-19-2018 @ 11:00 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Absolutely.Before the VanHalen MSG show in 2007ish i was @ the bar Tir Na Nog and Stewart Copeland was hanging at the bar talking to people.He was psyched about going in to the VH show.Really cool guy.Skinny bastard.

Heisenberg
    Head Fluffer
    Member No
    Last Online
    02-23-2020 @ 03:08 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ODShowtime View Post

Now Cream live 1 and 2 are fucking awesome, but Led Zeppelin II alone curbstomps them both.

RockWalk-Legend-Drummers-010.jpgAndy-5-dragged-1.jpg

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack68 View Post
    Absolutely.Before the VanHalen MSG show in 2007ish i was @ the bar Tir Na Nog and Stewart Copeland was hanging at the bar talking to people.He was psyched about going in to the VH show.Really cool guy.Skinny bastard.
    I have a friend up in Seattle that got backstage to The Police reunion show there. He works for a company that does environmental cleanups world wide. He actually was discussing environmental cleanup with Andy Summers because Andy Summers was interesting in it. He said Stewart came over and participated in the discussion. He said both Andy and Stewart were really cool. He didn't think much of Sting but then I've heard that from others.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries

I think I learned every song on Led Zeppelin II. That album is burned into my mind. Don't worry Kristy. I still miss you!

29. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (05-18-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardrock69 View Post
    A long, long time ago I was a brick tender for a masonry crew for 2 months....I lost 60 pounds during that time....all 90° days.....nonstop lifting of concrete blocks, cement, bricks, etc........it is an overrated experience......
    I did it every summer for years. The killer was the one foot wide cinder blocks. Then when I got old enough I worked in the refractory division which was doing brick and gunnite work inside industrial plants. The money was great but it was dangerous, dirty, and hot as hell. Man we worked with some nasty chemicals, silica sand, in nasty places. It made being on the scaffolding or running the mixer in nice clean air outside look inviting.

I got really strong doing that shit. My room mate in college was a physical therapy major and he brought this thing from class that you squeezed and it measured your grip strength. I was the only one who could max the thing out. It was from handling tons of cinderblock and acid brick all those summers. If you look at a brick layer the arm they hold the brick with is larger than their trowel hand. I complained to a brick layer he had the easy job and he handed me his trowel. My left arm started to burn. I handed the trowel back to him and he goes, "yeah it's not so easy is it?"

I worked with a guy in the banking industry that prided himself on working his way up. He thought he had worked the shittiest jobs out of everyone. I asked him what he did and he goes, "I worked at a fish food factory". I go, "I think I have that beat". Try running a jackhammer wearing a respirator because the dust is toxic and will give you silicosis in 110 degree heat and you can't see a thing. Or try laying brick in an acid plant with mortar that is black chemical composed goo that solidifies in 20 minutes with puddles of acid all around. I think that beats working in a stinky fish food plant.

The best was working in the phosphate plants. Pure phosphorus burns when oxygen hits it. You had puddles that when they dried out would burst into flame. We were warned to keep our work clothes away from our homes because several employees had their homes burn down. I work a 12 hour grueling shift and I'm exhausted. I get home and put my coveralls on the clothesline in the back yard. I hit the shower. When I get out the phone is ringing and I have this weird feeling it's important. It's the lady next door and she's going ape shit. There is a fire in your yard! I look out the window and my coveralls are on fire burning on the clothes line. LOL! I always wondered if they would catch fire with us wearing them but that never seemed to happen.

After that the coveralls went into the washer before I hit the shower.

On the positive side. I grossed $6,000 in the month of June 1985 doing that shit. The pay was awesome! They would do the plant shutdowns in June and July. It was usually 12 hour days of ass breaking work for two months. I would take the month of August off and have a nice vacation and go back to school. You always felt like quitting but you just kept thinking about the paycheck. I guess whores do the same thing.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-17-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

I could not do that sort of thing now.....I am not in my 20s anymore.

roth beer pest
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    06-02-2022 @ 11:33 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,853 Posts

nitro the brick whore

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE'S BROTHER View Post
    nitro the brick whore
    We all are whores.

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I could not do that sort of thing now.....I am not in my 20s anymore.
    Now you got smart and just lay around and smoke pot all day.
    Last edited by Nitro Express; 05-17-2013 at 01:48 PM.

35. Thanked Nitro Express for this KICKASS post:

Hardrock69 (05-18-2013)

it's getting hot in here
    Veteran
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-21-2024 @ 06:44 PM
    Status
    Thanks

All the ex-members of Cream really HATE Zeppelin. Jack Bruce went on a spectacular rant about how crap he thought Zeppelin were quite recently - I must try and dig out a link - and in last month's Mojo magazine Clapton was having a dig as well - the interviewer asked him what he thought about Jack White. Clapton replied something along the lines of "the trouble with him is he sounds like Zeppelin, and to me that has nothing to do with blues".

Historically, they have expressed the opinion that Zeppelin benefitted from their efforts in forging a new harder rock music in the late 60s. I think their recent outbursts against Page and Zep go back to the London O2 show of a few years ago (the one recently released on DVD). That was originally supposed to be a gig in celebration of Ahmet Ertegun at which Cream were the star turn. Until Zep reformed. Now ask almost anyone about that event and all they know is it was Zepelin's comeback gig.

Who else played at it? Well, I know Cream did because afterwards Jack Bruce came out an called them one of the crappiest bands ever - whoever else was on the bill just got overshadowed by Zeppelin.

Ginger Baker is an odious and ungenerous man, but you can understand why they'd be a mite pissed of with Pagey and chums!

37. Thanked VHscraps for this KICKASS post:

big fatty (05-17-2013)

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Fucking pisses me off when people do interviews and then act like dicks. Don't want to do it? DON'T. Otherwise don't act like a cunt when someone asks you questions!

39. Thanked Mr. Vengeance for this KICKASS post:

78/84 guy (05-18-2013)

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Vengeance View Post
    Fucking pisses me off when people do interviews and then act like dicks. Don't want to do it? DON'T. Otherwise don't act like a cunt when someone asks you questions!

What do you expect from a man that looked like a wolfman and destroyed hotel rooms? Hell when there is a full moon Ginger probably turns into one and prowls around London at night.

Crazy Ass Mofo
    Member No
    Last Online
    03-22-2024 @ 03:37 PM
    Status
    Thanks

They Rolling Stone interview he did a few years back made him come off like a real ass to me. I don't even think the guy likes music. He did the Cream reunion for the cash.

Rock God
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Foreigner opened at that Led Zep gig.....

Knows what that'll ge'her
    Full Member Status

Member No
    Last Online
    07-15-2018 @ 10:55 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Hey Ginger...you know what you are???

DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    They Rolling Stone interview he did a few years back made him come off like a real ass to me. I don't even think the guy likes music. He did the Cream reunion for the cash.
    At least the man is honest. He could be telling candied up lies.

Lick me
    TOASTMASTER GENERAL
    Member No
    Last Online
    04-22-2024 @ 09:15 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,286 Times in 1,504 Posts

Blog Entries
    Yeah, Baker may well be a prick, but to me one Ginger Baker (regardless of his personality shortcomings) is more worthwhile than virtually any number of rock journalists/interviewers who ever lived...and I'm not even that much of a Cream/Baker fan.

Fuck this and fuck that
    ROTH ARMY MODERATOR

Member No
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Status
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,298 Times in 4,722 Posts

Foreigner opened at that Led Zep gig.....
    You mean Mick Jones and his tribute band?

Actually even Mick Jones missed some of the more recent tours, which made them even more of a fraud.

Not that they worth a damn after their third album anyway, even with Lou Gramm and the rest of the actual band members.

Atomic Jerk
    ROCKSTAR

Member No
    Last Online
    09-12-2020 @ 06:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VHscraps View Post
    All the ex-members of Cream really HATE Zeppelin. Jack Bruce went on a spectacular rant about how crap he thought Zeppelin were quite recently
    And that's why they can suck my dick. Zeppelin annihilated them. Yeah Cream is great, their albums are pretty cool and the live stuff is awesome but sorry Zeppelin did it all better. Hating on the kings just makes Bruce and them look petty.

The Ertegun gig... Zep always had great respect for him, and one of the reasons they did the gig was for his memory. They certainly didn't attach their names to it to get attention and hi-jack it.

Cream really actually played at that same show? That should have generated attention too, but a Zeppelin reunion is the biggest thing in rock. Cream can put out an album and go on tour if they want attention. Jack Bruce can't because no one gives a shit about him.

Feeding My Addiction
    DIAMOND STATUS
    Member No
    Last Online
    Status
    Thanks

To me the weak link in Cream was always Clapton - I've really, really never understood the hype.....

Roadie
    Member No
    Last Online
    11-26-2018 @ 11:51 AM
    Status
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 78/84 guy View Post
    Actually, he did it for the cash and the fact that Jack Bruce almost died until he received his liver transplant
    from Celebrity Organs International, just like Lou Reed and Larry Hagman.

Ginger at least told the press he did it for his buddy, Jack. btw here's another cunt drummer, AVH!

Thread Information